Start by marking “On This Day” as Want to Read:
On This Day

On This Day

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  315 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
As One Marriage Begins,
Five Others Are Put to the Test.

Drawn to Lakeside Inn from a variety of locations as diverse as they are, Elizabeth Anderson, Suzette Burke, Ingrid Campbell, Margaret Simpson, and Laura Fairbanks–the bride’s aunt, family friend, bridesmaid, grandmother of the bride, and sister of the groom–seemingly share little more than their collective joy for the
Published February 21st 2006 by WaterBrook (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about On This Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On This Day

Jerry
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, so, I'm not exactly the target audience for this book; so what?

Usually, I don't enjoy stories told from multiple perspectives, but, I actually did like this one.
Elaine
Apr 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
So many characters, several of whom are related in some way or about to be.

There's Elizabeth whose husband Phil doesn't pay her much mind. At this point, she's thinking about what life might be like without him in the picture. Elizabeth is aunt to the bride, Jennifer. Conner and Patrick, ushers at the wedding, are Elizabeth's adult sons.

There's Suzette who believes she's arm candy for her lawyer husband. Everything and everybody to Suzette, has to be top notch in her little world. She wears desi
Linda
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous fluff. Sorry I wasted a day. May have to rethink my motto of "always read to the end."
Beth
Jan 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
Lynsey Corwin
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a book to make you really at what your life is like. There was A wedding that took place at the Lakeside Inn. There were five women Elizabeth Anderson, Suzette Burke, Ingrid Campbell, and Laura Fairebankes. In one way or another they were either a best friend to the bride, and or related to the Bride or Groom.
As the day of the wedding unfolds alot of these women don't even want to be at this wedding. Laura FaireBankes doesn't think that she is quite the woman she use to be and is no long
Norida
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
As one marriage begins, five others are put to the test. Drawn to Lakeside Inn from a variety of locations as diverse as they are, Elizabeth Anderson, Suzette Burke, Ingrid Campbell, Margaret Simpson, and Laura Fairbanks - the bride's aunt, family friend, bridesmaid, grandmother of the bride, and sister of the groom - seemingly share little more than their collective joy for the couple marrying at the mountain resort. During the course of one unforgettable day, however, each woman reaches a poin ...more
Jun 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
I didn't think this story was developed well and didn't feel the characters were authentic. As a woman, I sort of felt insulted that all of the women in this story were so insecure about their marriages and none of them tried to take care of their marital problems in a responsible way. I think the idea of marriage and what it means to us today is a topic worthy of exploration in narrative form; however, this is not the book to pick up if you're looking for that sort of story. A quick beach read ...more
Carly Trask-Kuchta
Jun 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I haven't read this bad of a book in a while. It was super cliched and cheesy and stereotypical, so much so that it bordered on offensive. It was obvious that Carlson knew nothing about some of the subjects she hit on, like how affairs in a marriage actually affect people, and that it doesn't take 2 glasses of wine to make a woman drunk. There was some closure at the end, but not nearly enough when Carlson tried to make the story about, oh, I don't know, eight different women. This was a let dow ...more
Christine
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women and teen girls
Elsie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be slow. The entire book covered the time period of one day from the perspective of 4 different characters, so you kept reading about the same thing, just from a different viewpoint. And even though it was supposedly a Christian book, I didn't find anything Christian about it. In fact, it read more like a soap opera. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a really slow read!
Jill
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
This was a good book but a little hard to follow if you had to put it down for a day or two! Jenny and Michael are getting married, but the book is about the thoughts and actions of other women in the wedding. Each thinks about the state their own marriage or impending wedding, as they take part in this wedding.
Marisa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Library Request. This was an ok read hence the three star rating, I found it didn't have the conclusions rapped up, nor was it anything that had me railing emotionally, I didn't feel any connection to any of I
The characters. Hum now that I think about it I really think I'll change the rating to two.
Barb
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
While this novel was not as good as some of her others I read last year, it was still a very good story. It followed several women through the course of a weekend that all of them are spending together at a wedding. Each of them winds up with decisions to make regarding her own future. It's not all sunshine and roses for everyone at the end, but it is ultimately a hopeful book. B+. 02/05/08
Jodi
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was confused in the begining with so many characters, but by the end I loved it. One lady is getting married and all the others are in attendance at the wedding. Two think their husbands are having affairs. One is the grandma rethinking her life and her own marriage of 60 years. What a great story about marriage and families. Would recommend highly to others.
Camie
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is told from the perspective of five different women who are involved in the same wedding. Each chapter the storyteller switches and I found it hard to jump around so much. I was really into two of the women's stories but the other three just seemed to be filling space in the book to me. It was too much going on so the characters weren't very well developed.
Kirsten
I did enjoy this book and I do have a lot of passages I wanted to highlight. I didn't feel that there were to many perspectives. Many times I was confused of which character was which. I mean the story was touching, but the overall plot didn't really stick with me. I have read other books my Melody Carlson and overall I do enjoy her writing. This book just sort of missed the mark for me.
Alex
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-books
Another cute Melody Carlson story, though I feel it ended kind of abruptly. After all that build-up, we never really got to see what happened with Suzette. And the other relationships just kind of trickled off.
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kasey, Julie
The book has several story lines going on at once that of course are all somehow connected (this doesn't give away anything). It was a great read- quick and easy and entertaining. However, there was one of the story lines that wasn't concluded and that kind of annoyed me.
Diane
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read. It grabbed my attention from the beginning, and held it. It was funny, sad, sweet, a chick-flick, book form. It wrapped up in a very inspirational way! I really liked it.
Sheryl
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked how this book was written from the different perspectives of five women all attending a destination wedding and was woven together by the way their paths intertwined over the course of the wedding weekend.
Lori
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day and while it was quite good, and I definitely recommend it, I felt like the loose ends weren't quite tied up. One character in particular I felt should have had a little more resolution.
But overall I really enjoyed it, even the character I didn't like at all! :)
Kerry K
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book giving 5 different views from woman at a wedding at various stages in their own marriages.

Margret the oldest character who is in her 80's was interested to read. There are not to many characters I have read with an older character in the first person.
Karan Page
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was a fun and easy read. A summer beach book It is a book about women and all the emotions they go through when attending a wedding .
Sara Marsh Billiet
Wedding guests deal with their own relationships in this novel set in one day. I liked the style of this novel - it was first person but shifted from character to character.
Heidi
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Too many people in this book to keep track of!! Hated Suzette, hated that her situation wasn't ever resolved. Thought this book was good but lacked some depth.
Angie
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT BOOK!
Carlson leads you through the lives of 5 ordinary but strugging women...their lives intertwine with a weekend wedding at a lodge and they help each other through difficulties.
Brittanie
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Good for a light, very fast read.
Jenna
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Was OK but definitely not excellent...
Jana
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Loved reading from the perspective of each individual character. A great read!
Linda
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was half way through and decided to stop reading it. It was dreadfully boring.
  • Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • Summer Breeze
  • Club Sandwich
  • Norah's Ark
  • Worth a Thousand Words (Jubilant Soul #2)
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Finding Faith (New Heights Series, #3)
  • A Girl's Best Friend (Spa Girls, #2)
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • The Secret Life of Becky Miller (Becky Miller #1)
  • It Had to Be You
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes (Family Honor #2)
  • Promise Me Always (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #1)
  • A Time to Surrender (Safe Harbor #3)
  • Uncharted
  • Coming Home
  • The Will of Wisteria
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...