Start by marking “Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)

Aurelia

(Aurelia #1)

Princess Aurelia is next in line to rule the kingdom of Tyralt, but she would rather be one of the common folk, free to learn and roam and . . . not marry the next tyrannical prince that comes courting. Naturally, the king wants Aurelia to marry for political power. Aurelia wants to marry for love. And someone in the kingdom wants her . . . dead. Assigned to investigate an ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Speak (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Aurelia, please sign up.
Brandi It's been a while since I've read it, but I'd say 13 +…moreIt's been a while since I've read it, but I'd say 13 +(less)

Start your review of Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)
Reynje
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I don’t feel great about giving this book two stars. To me, two stars seems paltry and possibly indicative of poor writing, plotting and characterisation – and that’s not actually true in the case of Aurelia.

But the Goodreads star system defines two stars as “It was okay”, and to be honest, that’s the most fitting of the ratings for my personal reading experience of this book.

To be clear, this is not a badly written or subpar book. In some respects it’s quite the opposite.

But for me, this boo
Jennifer Marie
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-books, ya-2008
It was a quick and easy read, but not a lot of "meat" to the story, more one of those books you pick up and just read for fun and don't expect too much from.

It's got an interesting ending--with a main character that acts how you expect her to act--in that she actually follows through with her actions, despite it not necessarily being the ending you expected.

The one thing that drove me nuts was the setting or I should say the confusion of the setting. There was so much mixed together that it wasn
Melissa
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Very interesting story but you could tell it was a new author. I have great confidence she will do awesome things. I would like to see what she can do with a little time under her belt. I really liked the main characters and had a hard time figuring out "who done it". Very clean, just a little violence. I would let my 12 year old read it.
Re read to my 2 13 year olds and 15 year old and the 15 year old loved it the twins said there was too much romance:} I really liked it the second
Kristi
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic book! I can't believe I waited so long to read this one! I had such a great time reading it and I absolutely adored the character Aurelia! She's the type of girl I always imagined a Princess would be. Not as stuck up snob, but someone that actually cares about the people around her.

The mystery in this novel was enthralling! I had multiple guesses as to who the killer may be and in the end I was terribly wrong! If you enjoy reading a good mystery, I definitely suggest Aurelia to
Rachel
Dec 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
The back of this book says "Mystery. Romance. Danger." Well, the mystery is easily figured out within the first ten pages, the romance is hardly developed and certainly not something a reader can get invested in without a great effort of will, and danger never quite feels real. The book as a whole was so incredibly bland (a heroine who gives us no reason to be attached to her, a romantic lead who has few personality traits aside from loving the heroine, and all taking place in an incredbily gene ...more
Di
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Di by: Alana
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I love princess-as-hero stories. It's the right blend of power, femininity, and responsibility. Aurelia's quintessentially all of these characteristics, along with a dash of insecurity that is oh-so-familiar to all of us who haven't blacked out our entire adolescence from memory. I also liked the love interest/hero, especially because he treats Aurelia as an equal. So often in princess stories, you get the guy treating the girl like a frail damsel in distress. Yuck.

The only thing I have to quibb
Nisha
This is not nearly as compelling as I expected. Again, I am fooled by the cover, which is gorgeous.

The writing is subpar - ok, its passable, but for middle schoolers. The story is historical fantasy, in a YA theme, but I feel like it fails to hit the mark. There's too many random time periods stuck together.

But the biggest problem was the heroine. Aurelia, isn't that likeable (to me, at least), since she comes off as spoiled and immature (I don't know how she develops, since I didn't finish thi
Rachel
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those book treasures I was lucky enough to find. I have absolutely no idea how I happened about this book, but I'm so glad I did!

So, first, let's get the cons out of the way. First, the writing. There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with it and I didn't particular dislike it or anything - as I almost always greatly respect authors for their hard work! - but it wasn't anything too spectacular either. The ONLY other con I would have is that there wasn't quite enough action. This i
Amelia, free market Puritan
My full review can be found HERE: http://leaveyoureyesbehind.blogspot.c...

I'm going to start this book review off with a confession: I am a very, very hard person to keep entertained/engaged. Kindergarteners can focus better than me - well okay, some can...
Usually it takes me a few days at least to get through a 200+ page book, either because I stumble over some pacing potholes or because I just flat can't concentrate...
- THIS BOOK is...NOT one of those books! It only took me a few hours to re
Twinkle
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Aurelia is a princess, next in line to claim the throne of Tyralt. When several assassination attempts are made on the princess of Tyralt, Aurelia’s childhood friend and son of King’s former spy, Robert returns to investigate. An assassin trailing the princess, a spy obstinate enough to find the assassin and a headstrong female character? I was definitely excited to read Aurelia.
Let’s talk about the plot first. The whole idea was great and it had the potential to be an exceptional read but
Miss Clark
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
Allison
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Amelia
Aurelia I must say is a brilliantly written novel. The plot is one of the best I've read, keeping me riveted to the pages. The style reminds me a lot of Tamora Pierce minus the fantasy twists.

I just have to add that I was so excited about the ending and I thought the closing was amazingly done. Very satisfying way to go into the next book. Aurelia showed them good!

I must find more of Ms. Osterlund's work. I'm definitely taking tips from her on plot twists. :)
Marilyn
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't entirely sold the first half of the book, but towards the end I liked it. If I may be picky....princess Melony's eyes are described as being green twice during the story, but also once as being blue. ??? ...more
Grace Smith
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was filled to the brim with mystery. I found myself eagerly racing to finish because I desperately needed to know who her assassin was. I needed to know, because once my curiousity is piqued, I read an entire book in one sitting. That’s what happened with Aurelia.

While the book promises romance, I was slightly disappointed. Robert and Aurelia – lifetime friends – sounded just like that, friends. At least the book promised danger, and we got it.

The cover is very indicative of the book.
Kathy Martin
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
AURELIA was an enjoyable high fantasy novel about a princess mired in court politics who is currently in danger of assassination. Is it the stepmother who favors her own daughter over Aurelia? Is it the king of a neighboring kingdom whose motives are not at all clear?

Aurelia's childhood friend and fellow classmate Robert Vantauge comes from the frontier to protect his friend. His father was the former spymaster of the kingdom but is now retired and raising horses far from the political intrigue
heidi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library
Hmm. You know what? There's a LOT of great YA in the world. There is even a fair amount of palace-intrigue stepmother childhood-love romance. If you want truly awesome political feisty women in your YA, go read A Proud Taste For Scarlet and Miniver. You'll thank me later.

Aurelia is strictly mediocre YA. It's like knock-off oreos. Somehow just not satisfying, and you find yourself wondering why you're even bothering to eat it. It's not bad, not revolting, just not GOOD.

The strong points are an in
Rayann
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
On the night of my reading this book, I almost died. Of boredom.

That might seem a little harsh, but unfortunately, I did find this book a bore which is a shame since the cover is beautiful. I really expected something from this one seeing as I love stories set in a historical setting, especially those which involve mystery and possibly a bit of court intrigue. Sadly, I was very disappointed.

The mystery wasn't all that mysterious. It became quite predictable and there was supposed to be a sen
Milly
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, royalty
It was the intention of the author to provide 'love, mystery, and danger' in this book. She delivered in the love and mystery department but not so much with the danger. There were at least 2 incidents in the book that were quite dangerous but it would have been a better read if there were more. The book was well written, the characters especially Robert could have benefitted from a better description of how he looked like. He obviously was portrayed to be a nice and intelligent person but I was ...more
Skedatt
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
For a first book, it was pretty good as a fluffy kind of read. It had your usual "plucky" heroine who is amazingly forward thinking in her backward nation...considering that she is the crown princess. (Perhaps I have had too many history classes.)

It is almost historical fiction, in a locale similar to a French/Venetian Cavalier period (think Three Musketeers) but she tries to bring in too many political issues without the background behind them to make them seem plausible. The author writes it
Erica (storybookend)
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really good book. The beginning gripped me. I loved Aurelia the first time I met her, and was laughing a few pages in. I really liked the plot and the characters. And I like Anne’s writing. She describes things very well. At the end when the strings were being tied together I figured out who the traitor was, but I was very surprised over who the real conspirator was. That was a really good twist. But I think the ending could have been done better. It wasn’t really believable the way the conspi ...more
The Lonely book club
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Complete review can be found at The Lonely book-club

“Aurelia” is a fast and easy read with not too much meat to the story. You baffle through the pages rather quick when you sit down to read, and there’s not too much information to absorb at once. I would really recommend it if you a looking for something fun and easy where you don’t need to use your brain too much. The plot, however, is a little predictable even though the ending can be a little surprising as the villain isn’t exactly the pers
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Princess Aurelia's life is in danger.

There have been at least three attempts on her life, but her father doesn't want her to know the truth.

Instead, he brought in a royal spy to find the culprit and the mastermind behind these attempts. Robert, the son of the spy, went to school with Aurelia and never stopped thinking about her. There's no way he can keep this secret from her.

The two question people and devise plans to flush out the responsible par
Kiri
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A tightly-plotted mystery/romance, much like Osterlund's other novel "Academy 7". I found the main characters in this book just as likeable, and the writing very similar. There's a freshness to her phrasing, but sometimes it gets a little awkward. The details about Tyralt, the kingdom of which Aurelia is the crown princess, are fine but perhaps too vague. A lot of fantasy kingdoms end up being kinda generic medieval Europe - this one seemed to be Europe/frontier America, as there IS a frontier o ...more
 Shirin
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
You can find this review on The Opinions Of A Bookaholic

I don’t really know what to say about this book. Not because it was so amazingly awesome, or because it was terrible. It was because it was so….uneventful.

All the characters were entirely one-dimensional, it was so slow, and there was supposed to be a mystery, this big assassination thing, and it just fell flat.

I didn’t find anything glaringly wrong though. It was just that I didn’t feel anything. At all. At least in a book I hate, I actua
Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond)
Quickie Review:
Aurelia is the princess of Tyralt, and heir to the throne. Unbeknownst to her, someone is out to kill her. Her childhood friend Robert returns to investigate. From there, the adventure begins.

I don't want to go into a lot of detail because it will give away the plot. There are very obvious red herrings, and I did figure out who the bad guy was pretty early on, but it was still a fun adventure. The book has the perfect amount of everything, romance, adventure, mystery. It is a grea
Sensei
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book. It’s supposed to be set in the distant past- an age of chivalry, people riding in carriages and horseback, princesses, kings, castles, sword fighting. However, this medieval theme is ruined by naming characters Chris, Uncle Brian, Jimmy, Daria, etc.

Also, the writer does nothing to develop the romance between the two protagonists, yet they somehow fall in love.

Lastly, the main character-- Aurelia-- is a pain. She is one of those that is always right, has A LOT of attitu
Heather
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
Beautiful headstrong princess + plot to assasinate her + bodyguard = Heather's FAVORITE kind of book. Soooo since the library didn't have it I ordered it off Amazon which of course I should have known would be a mistake. Its not very good at all, I gave it two stars basically cause I like the cover. It is seriously like my favorite kind of plot/storyline and it could have been done so much better. The romance is not very well developed and the mystery is not much of a mystery, the whole thing do ...more
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
don't bother.
this book makes me realize that good writing must be more difficult than it looks. there are few books out there that i can just put down and walk away with absolutely no inclination to pick up again. the characters were flatter than a pancake, to mix some metaphors for you, having no reasonable motivations or reactions. blegh.

clean reads info: seemed like it'd be totally clean... i'll never know
Gabrielle Carolina
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I cannot decide if this book is a case of "too much," or, "not enough."

Either the writing style of tell-don't-show overshadowed the action and the chain of events that led to a logical conclusion, or Osterlund left too many details unattended for too long.

I don't know; what I do know it this, there was too much book and too little plot and character development.

Long Review TK
http://www.healthdietalert.com/auvela-serum/ 1 1 May 23, 2017 09:55PM
http://healthonlinereviews.com/auvela-skincare/ 1 1 May 21, 2017 09:55PM
Debatable Books: Aurelia discussions 2 8 Nov 02, 2015 05:22PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 13, 2015 03:41PM

• The False Princess
  • The Season
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The Frog Princess
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of The Ballad of Mulan
  • Old Magic
  • Avalon High
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • A Song for Summer
  • Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)
  • The Goddess Inheritance  (Goddess Test, #3)
  • All That Burns (All That Glows, #2)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Slayed
  • Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers, #2)
  • A Touch Menacing (The Siders #3)
See top shelves…
Anne Osterlund grew up in the sunshine of Eastern Oregon and graduated from Whitworth College. She lives in a cute little yellow house with her best feline friend, Simba, and her own library of young adult books. She enjoys immersing her students in language, literature, and imagination. Anne has written five novels: Aurelia, Exile, Redemption, Academy 7, and Salvation. She has dreams of many more ...more

Aurelia (3 books)
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • Redemption (Aurelia, #3)