Start by marking “Sound (Salvage #2)” as Want to Read:
Sound (Salvage #2)

Sound

(Salvage #2)

SOUND is the stand-alone companion to Alexandra Duncan’s acclaimed novel Salvage, a debut that internationally bestselling author Stephanie Perkins called “kick-ass, brilliant, feminist science fiction.” For fans of Beth Revis, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica.

As a child, Ava’s adopted sister Miyole watched her mother take to the stars, piloting her own ship from Earth to
Published September 22nd 2015 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Sound, please sign up.
Matt Kowaleski I read sound before salvage and still enjoyed them both, but on reflection it would have been maybe slightly better to read them in chronological orde…moreI read sound before salvage and still enjoyed them both, but on reflection it would have been maybe slightly better to read them in chronological order. There is a rather unexpected Bad Thing that happens in Salvage that I saw coming because I had read Sound (it still hit me pretty hard though). In Sound, some of Miyole's flashbacks to her childhood are a bit confusing without the context of the first book. As a whole, Sound works as a standalone and you definitely can read it first. Whether reading the books in order improves the experience is debatable.(less)

Start your review of Sound (Salvage #2)
Erin
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction- strong female protagonist
Update: March 2019. So a Facebook friend tagged me in a challenge. Usually I stay away from that stuff, but it was to post the covers of seven books you love with no review. So I couldn't say no. It started yesterday, but I made Sound my Day 2 cover because it is such a great novel and I just UGH would love more people to check it out.

As a reader, I love when a book surprises me, and Sound truly did that. Miyiole Guiteau, a character of Haitian background that grew up in India, really stands
Sherwood Smith
Sep 22, 2015 added it
Shelves: sf
Copy provided by the publisher.

I am so glad that Greenwillow sent me this, because it seems not to have received much publicity, or at least none that I came across, and that is a shame. I've seen articles lamenting the fact that kids don't seem to read science fiction anymore because euw science, but if they had access to exciting books like this one, that might very well change.

Driven, high-achieving sixteen-year-old Miyole lied about her age in order to be accepted to the Deep Sound Project s
Katherine Locke
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this fast-paced YA sci fi. Great for Firefly fans! NOT on the flap copy, and it should be because people are LOOKING for books like this: Miyole, the main character, is a lesbian Haitian girl raised in India. There's a ton of diversity in this book, all seamlessly and naturally stitched into the narrative, and the queerness was handled extremely well.

Summer (buttermybooks)
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:

THIS BOOK. This book is so important.

Let me start by giving a little background on how I found out about this series. Last year I went to a book signing for the Starbound Trilogy at my local indie bookstore. A few other local authors showed up to support Meagan and Amie, so I decided to say hi to them on my way out. One of the authors was Alexandra Duncan. The other authors were singing the praises of Salvage, so that night I went home and ordered it. It IS a sci-fi and you all know
Kara Babcock
I didn’t realize I only read one book between Salvage and Sound, but hey, that’s how time goes in the summer. I’m working through the summer again, so not as much time to sit outside and read—much sadness!

Sound is a companion novel to Salvage. It follows Miyole, Parastrata Ava’s adopted sister. A few years have gone by, and Miyole is now sixteen (though people think she is seventeen). She has sped through her schooling, thanks to her smarts, and wrangled her way aboard a Deep Sound Research Inst
Molly
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me an advanced copy of this book!

Last year I read Salvage by Duncan and I fell in LOVE with it. It was one of my top reads of the year. So I was so excited when I saw that she had a companion novel coming out this year! Sound takes place 20 years after Salvage. You do NOT have to have read Salvage to understand Sound. There are some crossover characters, and Miyole, our MC in this, is an important character in Salvage, but you can read this and underst
Rachel
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, arc
SOUND is one of those epic reads that makes you feel like you’ve lived a lifetime with its characters. It takes you on a journey through space in an attempt to find and save someone being sold into slavery. It reveals a universe that is vast and cruel and fascinating and diverse and in need of heroes. It introduces a main character who has been deeply affected by her past and who is only just learning how to become a fighter. It gives you many things to think about while reading and beyond the r ...more
Shobhana
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was amazing.
First off, cultural references. That was a huge plus. I don't see India being properly represented in many books, so this was awesome (>w<)
Miyole, a Haitian lesbian girl raised in Mumbai since she was eight, was honestly one of the best characters I've ever read. Her ambition, drive, and unwillingness to back off were traits I haven't seen in many female characters, even though such personalities are so prevalent in my own little world. I really appreciated how straightforward (
Mak
Jan 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Salvage is one of my all-time favorites, so I am super excited to have more to read from Duncan. Sound is a companion novel (not a sequel) to Salvage- following Miyole's adventures as a teenager! I am SUPER excited!
Jenna
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Miyole is a research assistant on a government military space ship, raising butterflies and pollinators in preparation for populating the stars. Mi worked her whole life towards this placement, but everything changes when the ship is attacked and the crew rescues Cassia, a rover girl with a troublesome past, whose brother was kidnapped. When the officers ignore Cassia's plea to chase after the kidnappers, Mi has to decide to stay onboard and achieve her own dream, or abandon any chance at being ...more
Let me start my adoring gush by saying that I had this book preordered. PREORDERED! Me! The person who considers reading The Orphan Master's Son this year a reasonable time frame for getting around to a book I really want to read! And the best part about preordering? It was like a surprise gift to myself: I'd forgotten when exactly it was coming, and then one day there was a package waiting on my doorstep.

Duncan's strengths are on stunning display once again: her strong, feminist characters and
Brent Soderstrum
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the companion book to Duncan's first novel Salvage. Sadly, this one wasn't as good as Salvage either. This novel revolves around Miyole, who is the adoptive sister of Ava from Salvage. Miyole has lied about her age to get on a research spaceship. The ship is struck by another smaller ship that was attacked by pirates. Cassia is one of the survivors and she wants the government ship to go after the pirates who have kidnapped her brother. Mi is gay and falls very quickly in love with Cassi ...more
Julia
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the world building in this novel, and am definitely interested in reading more in this universe. The plot was interesting, but even though things were always happening, it still managed to feel really slow at times. The ending was way too convenient and Miyole didn't face basically any consequences for what she did, but oh well. (view spoiler) ...more
Jeffrey Grant
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jumping from one character to another within a universe is always something I look at skeptically, particularly when it was a character that drew me into a universe in the first place. There have been good examples of it (Mercedes Lackey and Orson Scott Card do it a lot) and ones where it didn't work as well (e.g. I never got interested in any of the other characters sometimes featured in David Weber's Honorverse). That said, this is a good example.

This story follows Miyole, the daughter of the
Ashley (Bookaholics Anonymous)
Posted on Bookaholics Anonymous

IN A NUTSHELL
Miyole has made her whole life about being a scientist on a mission. Now that she's been on it things are changing. When her ship is attacked by what I will call space pirates people get hurt, kidnapped, and she let's one slip away from her. When she's faced with guilt about the kidnapping she makes it her mission to help Cassia find her brother. We can all guess where this is going to lead. Get ready for a space-riffic adventure with space pirates, sp

Lauren Wilkerson
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Back to the world of crumbling planets, deep space ships, and most importantly... back to Ava and Miyole. First off, I loved the first book in this series. And... I definitely love the fact that each of the books in this series can be read as a stand-alone book. Sometimes series books get tiring for me.

While the first book has everything to do with Ava, this book focuses completely on Miyole. She's all grown up. At least as grown up as a young adult can be. She's extremely smart and determined..
TheChinookStoryteller
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this novel at my library.

Yay for diverse books!

Okay, so Sound follows Miyole, a young scientist who works on the massive spaceship Ranganathan. However, her life changes when a smaller ship that’s been attacked by the Dakait (pirates) comes aboard. One of its members, Cassia, is desperate to find her brother who was taken by the Dakait. Remembering what happened to her own family, Miyole decides to help and the two of them set out on a grand adventure.

My favorite part of thi
Zoe
I really wanted to love this book. I read Salvage a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. Miyole was my favourite character, so I was very excited when I heard about this book. I also heard that there was a female/female relationship in this book, which made me even more excited. Unfortunately, I did not like this book as much as I hoped I would.

My main complaint is that the plot was way to fast. There wasn't enough time to get to know the world or the characters and everything felt rushed. My
Jessica
Journey
more like 3.5, but bumped it up! my main complaint with this book is that it definitely FELT like a side/companion novel, and despite being 400 pages, it also felt like it could have been a novella rather than a complete novel. i think it's because we are completely thrown into the world, stuff happens FAST, but despite that not a lot actually happens?

but i did like this and perhaps i will go back and read Salvage! the world is interesting (growing ships organically? how) but more important is
Darlene Cruz
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story, the protagonist Miyole 'Wow!' Sci-Fi theme but did you not enjoy the culturally diverse tone. Miyole how can she fit in? Strong but not always, her weakness is following her heart, trouble, you bet. It had to be that way or else, no adventure. Action and more action, did you not see the pirates? Huh? Such a thriller yet a provoking action adventure with all the bells and whistle of a compelling Sci-fi. Research labs, spaceships, shuttles deep space journey, aww... well crafted. ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and every bit as gripping as Ms Duncan's previous book, Salvage. Once again, she's written more than a YA novel, despite how Sound is marketed. There are some big concepts here; childhood post traumatic stress, self determination, ethics, slavery, and a couple of things I can only describe as depression due to nerdish lack of socialization and academic/scientific bullying. I'm glad to see more of Ava's story and Miyole definitely needed her own book.
Shelby
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-giveaways
I won this arc copy in a goodreads giveaway. Rating 3.7

This over all was a good book. Easy to read. Interesting. The friendship between cassia and miyole got on my nerves a bit. Cassia I just didn't like much from the beginning. The story was good, the side stories were really good too. It has nice world building. I like it. Worth giving a try. An enjoyable read. Also a beautiful cover.
Nick
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This was a diverse young adult sci-fi book. It was decently paced and had me hooked. The storybuilding in this book was very impressive. A well put together book.
Beneath The Covers Blog
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Full review can be found HERE --> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

~Summer
Natalie
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, scifi
An engaging, diverse YA sci-fi effort that creates a variety of interesting worlds, but may spend a little too much time exploring them.
Holly
Whaaaa....?!?! How on earth did I miss the news that this book was coming out?! Have I been under a ROCK?! I'm sooooo excited!!
Laura Stone
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wavered between a 3 and a 4 for this book, but ultimately bumped it up because:

A) the main character is a QPOC
B) the author goes out of her way to write about and in multiple cultures/language
C) the focus of the book is a sci-fi adventure, not the fact that the main character is queer

I liked the first half of this book much more than the second, because I was interested in learning about our main character: her interests (science!), her background (adopted!), and the ship she was on (where the
Rachel
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2017, scifi
I liked a lot of things about this book. Most important is the protagonist, who is not only realistic and sympathetic, but is also a queer woman (girl) of color. And a scientist!

But on the whole, I wasn't really crazy about this book. It's too long, for one thing. I also didn't like the love interest character, who never proved she wasn't a jerk.

(view spoiler)
Katlyn
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fun, lgbtq, fast-paced
I liked this. It was a good sequel to the first book, but not great. Maybe it's just that I am not really into fast paced books, preferring character development. I did get through it quite quickly though! I just wasn't very immersed. I mean, I enjoyed it, but I'll probably never think about it again. Compared to the first one, I preferred Miyole to Ava, but the plot of the first was better than this one. The ending was good! Open, but with a hint of what would happen in the future. I didn't rea ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Around the Year i...: Sound, by Alexandra Duncan 1 12 Jan 13, 2017 05:13AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 May 05, 2016 11:51AM

• Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Nightbooks
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South, Part 2 (North and South, #2)
  • Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #18)
  • Gun Games (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #20)
  • Skyborn (Dragons & Druids, #1)
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1)
  • Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms, #3)
  • Burn
  • The Beast (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #21)
  • Earthbound (Dragons & Druids, #2)
Alexandra Duncan is a writer and librarian. Her young adult science fiction novels Salvage, and Sound, are available now from Greenwillow Books. Her newest book, a near-future eco-thriller called Blight is coming Aug. 1, 2017. Her short fiction has appeared in several Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy anthologies and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. She loves anything that gets h ...more

Salvage (2 books)