Start by marking “Sugar” as Want to Read:
Sugar

Sugar

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  9,576 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

I’m the fat Puerto Rican–Polish girl who doesn’t feel like she belongs in her skin, or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve always been too much and yet not enough.

Sugar Legowski-Gracia wasn’t always fat, but fat is what she is now at age seventeen. Not as fat as her mama, who is so big she hasn’t gotten out of bed in months. Not as heavy as her brother, Skunk, who has mo

Published June 1st 2015 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Sugar, please sign up.
Jannila hahahaha.... YESSSS!!! Im only on chapter 7 though and I am literally waiting for mu lunch break so I can get my Sugar fix...
mochi. Actually, that isn’t unbelievable at all. Not everyone kisses immediately when it comes to engaging with people they like. Especially if they’re as…moreActually, that isn’t unbelievable at all. Not everyone kisses immediately when it comes to engaging with people they like. Especially if they’re as insecure and as deeply rooted in their own issues as Even and Sugar are. In fact, it’d completely normal for teenagers to not kiss immediately because they find kissing to be more intimate than anything else. Not sure what type of realism you live in, but in reality people don’t follow or have the same standards for certain things. (less)

·  9,576 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
To tell the truth, I’m not really sure that beauty is beyond skin deep. I have yet to see that theory proven. If there are people that see the beauty within others, they sure as heck don’t live around here.
This was a beautiful, sweet, heartbreaking book. I feel like the blurb is a horrible one, the premise of a fat Puerto-Rican-Polish girl. The description makes the main character feel like a caricature, and this book is much more than that. It's not the type of book I usually favor, but I'm s
Emily May
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
"I hear you've been running around with some boy. There ain't no one that likes you, Sugar. You're too ugly, too fat, and too stupid."

Sugar is an extremely emotional and introspective book. The positive reviews guided this contemporary YA novel into my hands and I believed it could very well be a 5-star read for the first 25%. My issue with Sugar is that it's built around a fascinating and heartbreaking issue but doesn't quite deliver a story that continues to engage.

During the first few chapt
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Sugar is an overweight seventeen year old who's life is basically taking care of her morbidly obese mama, cleaning up after her abusive brother Skunk and surviving her days at the local high school.
I lean against the doorframe, heavy with the truth. I am always in the way. I've known this for as long as I can remember. I'm the fat Puerto Rican-Polish girl who doesn't feel like she belongs in her skin, or anywhere else for that matter. I've always been too much and yet not enough.

Kids, this bo
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

► This book. This book. Read it.

I'm not gonna lie, but to read this book was depressing at times. Haunting. We can feel Sugar's hopelessness and trust me, it's not always an easy journey to follow. Many passages leave you with an impression of claustrophobia, feeling Sugar's despair in your bones, knocking you down, tearing out. But in the end, what remains is this feeling of hope, and I don't want to let it go.

"I lean against the doorframe, heavy with the truth. I am always in the way. I've kn
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Aditi

I thought I’ve already seen the worst kinds of bullying from the many YA contemporaries I have read but reading this book taught me that I have seen nothing yet. This story assailed me with all forms including the worst sorts of bullying villainously combined to form a gigantic, steely, hurtful fist incessantly face punching Mercy aka Sugar , a Puerto Rican-Polish teenage girl who weighs too much, who always hears that she’s always in everybody’s way, whose family members weigh too much, whose m
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

BLOODY HELL! I HAVE CRIED SO HARD OVER THIS BOOK! I LOVE THIS BOOK, I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ARSE WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, THIS BOOK WAS SO DAMN SAD. I FELL IN LOVE WITH SUGAR... AND LET ME GET THROUGH SOME OF THESE GIFS SO I CAN TELL HER STORY.

This book has just broken my heart! Just torn it apart and put it back together :(

Sugar's name is Mercy, but her mom named her Sugar when she was little because she found her in a room as a baby with a spoon eating out of
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2015
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I’ve always been too much, and yet not enough.”

Houston commercial photography

The next stop on the Kelly and Mitchell downward spiral of the most depressing reads ever is Sugar. ALL ABOARD!

If having a morbidly obese teenage MC didn’t already clue you in to the fact that this book probably wasn’t going to be all sunshine and daisies – add in a bedridden (but still abusive) mother, a lazy asshole of a brother, a father who went MIA umpteen some years ago, a house
Whitney Atkinson
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sugar was such a powerful book that surprised me. I was immediately interested in it because I'm highly anticipating the release of Dumplin by Julie Murphy, a book with an overweight main character. Sugar, the main character of this novel, is also overweight and the book is centered around her weight problems, along with bullying from family and friends. The main thing I love about this book is how much I understand Sugar. I completely can relate to her mindset of feeling stuck in her body and f ...more
Lindsey Rey
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I hated this. I loved this. I almost threw the book across the room. I loved this. My heart feels all the feels. I love Sugar. I love Evan. I love Henry. That is all.
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Children's Publishing and NetGalley.)

“I march into the kitchen and pop a couple of the double-chocolate cupcakes into my mouth. I snap off a pudding cup from the pack in the fridge. I peel away the top. After three spoonfuls, I scrape the bottom of the plastic cup. I go for another and another. Before I realise it, I’ve eaten the entire six-pack.”

This was quite a shocking story about an overwei
Kathe L
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-stars, read-2015
“I’ve always been too much and yet not enough.”

When I had the go-go that I could read again, I decided to finish this book because it killed me to let it intact when I left it. If I only knew what was to come.

This book is a hard book. Like, you want to drop it at times. Especially because I am the opposite of Sugar. We meet this overweight girl that is like this because whenever her life gets difficult, she goes to food. When I am going through a hard time, I stop eating. Eating brings me joy, s
Aditi
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"People are starting to go on about my weight, but I'm not going to change my size because they don't like the way I look."

----Adele

Deirdre Riordan Hall, an American writer, pens her new Young Adult contemporary fiction, Sugar which is about a fat teenage girl, a victim of constant bullying both at home and high school, who falls in love with a senior from her school and learns to find the light amidst so much darkness around her.

P.S: I encourage or rather say, plead every fat chick or non-p
Rachel Maniacup
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Aditi
Having read this book recommended to me by my dear friend ADITI, wrapped me in different emotions.Not only because this novel is a heart-breaking story,but is uplifting as well.

This is a story of a fat-17 year old girl who was constantly being bullied by almost everyone she knew,and yet her life at home is much worse. It is at home why she was named as Sugar,not as an endearment but as a torment name or a kind of harassment.

One day in school,MERCY(Sugar's real name)met a sweet young man,EVEN who
Kelly
Another entry into the "doing bad things for fat characters" collection in YA.

In short: she hates herself, she's fat and miserable, but when she meets a boy who takes some interest in her, she suddenly wants to lose weight and feel better about herself.

But it's littered with hateful, painful-to-read messages that are lazy, hurtful writing.

Pass on it. I quit half-way through because there wasn't going back after "This extra layer of flesh hides the real me, even from myself."
Acordul Fin
A shell like this one, beautiful to begin with, can get cracked and slivered, and then time, the tides, maybe even the wind, tumble and toss it, and it becomes something new, a perfect version of itself.
I'm very torn about this book. I do appreciate the author's decision to tackle this very sensitive topic and also some of the messages from the final chapters, but I don't agree with her overall approach. From the moment Even stepped into the picture I knew Sugar would try to lose weight for
Taylor Knight
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I expected with this book but I do feel kind of disappointed.
I liked the concept of this book but I felt like a lot of it was repetitive. I felt bad for Sugar and how she was always been bullied and verbally abused at home. I really cared about her. But I felt like the book kind of dragged on because a lot of the book was the same thing. I felt like this book was about a girl that was overweight and that was the only focus. I wanted it to be about Sugar, not her weight.
I felt
Laurence R.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
4.5/5

I LOVED this book. I expected to read this in a couple of days, but once I started, I simply couldn't stop myself.

This book made me so, so , so sad. I hated how Sugar's family treats her, except for Fat Henry. They don't even give her time to breathe, they just shoot her without interruption. I was so angry that I wanted to cry and I had to stop reading for a couple of seconds once in a while to digest all of this. The worst part is probably the fact that Skunk and Sugar's mother don't eve
Sophia Sardothien
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you netgalley for providing me this e-arc

I love the message the author is trying to say, instead of writing about a typical teenager with a bad family background falling in love with a guy. The book deals with an oversized girl Sugar, whom has to face problems both in school and at home. Though I could not 100% relate to Sugar but I really admire how strong she is. As for her love interest Even. Such a swoon worthy guy, what makes him so decent is that he's undeniably sweet! The ending was
Shannon (leaninglights)
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is important. It tackles tough subject matter such as abuse, bullying, self-confidence and eating disorders. It's hard to read at times and yet, it is so important to read. I was moved by Sugars story and the journey we watch her go on. The book wasn't perfect, I had some issues with story development and believability at points, but it is overall solid and well written. The most important thing is the book is honest and doesn't hold back. By doing so, the author honors our main charac ...more
Miriam
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most heartbreaking story I've read this year and it affected me so much because it hit too close to home. Like Sugar, I was once a girl who isn't comfortable in her own skin and her weight and thought too little of herself. Thankfully, there are people, genuine people who care, who will make you see you are more than the tiny person you thought you are. Thank you for reminder of this wonderful message.
Katie
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Books that hurt the most are those that hit too close to home. Sugar represents so many young girls out there-girls both fat and thin, girls who lack what it takes to be confident and to be who they really are. This novel encourages each and every girl to be who they are and not who people say the are.
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I feel mean posting a negative review and rating for an author on Goodreads who can see it but hey, it's my opinion, even if it does seem to be going against the gushing from the rest of the reviews. This was my free Prime read from this month. The only interest I had when reading this story was to analyse world view-point of where it was coming from: it ticks all the issues boxes (view spoiler) ...more
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sugar was a very emotional read for me. Filled with the reality of bullying, negligence, and abuse, this is the book that opens people's eyes of what being unhealthy might be like to children that do not have a stable foundation to get healthy and care for their life.

Sugar Legowski-Gracia was an incredibly lovable character, she is a sweetheart and the way she cared for her mother and even put up with her brother Skunk was sad and I cannot believe people exists like that. It really made me thin
Carolyn

Sugar Legowski-Gracia is a very obese, unhappy teenager. Her whole family is obese and dysfunctional, her mother so large that she can no longer get out of bed and spends her time screaming abuse at Sugar while expecting her to run the household and attend to her every whim. Sugar's father left when she was young and the only member of her family who is kind to her, older brother Fat Henry has escaped to live with his girlfriend. Her remaining younger brother, Skunk, is vile and abusive and enco
Cheyanne Young
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book like crazy. First of all, Sugar is fat. As in, actually fat. Not just whiny teenager who doesn’t really have problems and is actually quite beautiful fat, but really, truly, years-of-eating-junk fat. It was so refreshing to see a character, especially a teenage character, portrayed with such realism. Sugar didn’t get the way she is on accident and she was well aware of it.

Her mama is a bed-ridden, abusive narcissist and her big brother is a grade A asshole. Kids at school are
Drew
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars

My, what a wonderful thing Ms. Hall has done. She took the stereotypical "fat girl" and turned her into a complicated, flesh-and-blood human being.

You know what I'm talking about. In movies and books the "fat girl" is usually a background character whose sole purpose is for comic relief. She's not taken seriously or even treated like a real person. Why is it that something as trivial as size should define a person or make them worth less than anybody else?

This book humanized the main
❤Marie Gentilcore
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sync, audiobook
I really, really enjoyed this book. It is about Sugar, an overweight teen girl who is taking care of her morbidly obese mother and her rotten brother. Sugar’s actual name is Mercy Bella but her mom nicknamed her Sugar when she was 3 years old and she found her eating a bag of sugar. Sugar’s mom is ornery and abusive and probably has some kind of mental illness. This has led to Sugar having a very low self-esteem. Sugar is also bullied at school and at home by her mother and brother. One day she ...more
Katherine
”I’m the fat Puerto Rican- Polish girl who doesn’t feel like she belongs in her skin or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve always been too much yet not enough.”

This book was almost close to perfect, but it utilizes one of my most hated tropes ever.

Size has defined Mercy “Sugar” Legowski-Garcia’s life for as long as she can remember. Always the “fat girl” in her class, the relentless teasing and bullying she takes from her classmates has all become part of the norm.
”’There ain’t no one that l
Taylor Madden
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my non-spoiler review of Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall.

Rating: 3.75 out of 5 star sandwiches.

"I hear the bullies at school and the bully in my own mind."

1. Summary

Sugar centers around an overweight Puerto Rican-Polish girl who doesn't feel comfortable in her own skin-she goes by the name "Sugar" Legowski-Gracia and at age seventeen, has to take care of her obese mother (who cannot move from her bed) as well as her discourteous brother, Skunk. Due to her large size, Sugar constantly r
Beth Hudspeth
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Wonderful story about self love. ♥
http://mirahealthgarciniablog.com/curalin/ 1 3 Jul 18, 2017 02:31AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall - Restarting July 10th 2016 21 55 Jul 16, 2016 09:50PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Sugar 1 11 Sep 18, 2015 09:23AM
The Challenge Fac...: K-Terror Junkie & Ezi - Sugar 42 14 Jul 14, 2015 07:58PM

• Johnny Get Your Gun
  • My Name's Not Friday
  • Baker's Magic
  • Come August, Come Freedom: The Bellows, The Gallows, and The Black General Gabriel
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • On Two Feet and Wings
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do to Stop It
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • Speed of Life
  • Divine Collision: An African Boy, An American Lawyer, and Their Remarkable Battle for Freedom
  • The Fallow Season of Hugo Hunter
  • Remember to Forget
  • The Bridesmaid
  • Juba!
  • Ghosting
  • How to Be Brave
Deirdre Riordan Hall is the author of the contemporary young adult bestseller Sugar, Pearl, and several YA fantasy novels. When she's not writing, she's probably surfing or in pursuit of magic. She also has a healthy case of wanderlust, is a major Harry Potter nerd, loves chips and salsa, and dreams about learning no less than three languages.

For more, please visit her blog or twitter
“I’ve always been too much and yet not enough.” 19 likes
“In fact, you’re my favorite person in the world. You have confidence in there, but sometimes I think you just misplace it.” 7 likes