Start by marking “High Dive” as Want to Read:
High Dive

High Dive

Arden has a plane ticket to Sardinia to say goodbye to her family’s beloved vacation home after her father’s sudden death and her mother’s deployment to Iraq as an army nurse. Lonely for her father and petrified for her mother’s safety, Arden dreads her trip to the house in Sardinia—the only place that has truly felt like home to her. So when she meets a group of fun, care ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about High Dive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Dive

Cara
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: military brats
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
I'm kind of biased because I could really relate to Arden. Not so much her personality but her situation. I've had a parent deploy to Iraq and I understood a lot of what she had to go through, but I didn't take it the same way she did. Arden is already away at college when her mom is deployed and she has already lost her father, so she dealing with a lot of feelings that seem to be suffocating her (though she doesn't know it). With all that moving around military brats do it's hard to keep many ...more
Ash
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is hard for me to review because I liked the book, but I think it was mostly because I could relate to Arden's situation. At times it was sad and in Arden's voice you can hear the weight of the world that she feels like she's carrying. Then you see all the great things she does and sees while she traveling. The book was pretty accurate when describing how travel is in Europe (as in it kinda sucks). It was funny to read the military jargon that I only hear when I'm on post or talking to my ...more
Valerie
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: Ash
There are not many books that I've read about military brats so this was different. It was nice to see her knowledge of everthing in Europe but she wasn't snobish about it.

In the beginning I just felt so bad for Arden. I'd hate to be stuck in Paris and not have any fun. However things do get better as things progress. The three girls she meets on the plane and decides to join have very distinct personalities. Each one brings something to the story.

The military life has seemed to take a great t
Tammar Stein
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
When I started High Dive, we were at weird time, nationally speaking. The Iraq War was going strong and military families experienced huge personal sacrifices. But while the media did a superb job getting the story out about the soldiers' experiences at war and the casualty rate was common knowledge, the pain and suffering of the spouses and children left behind was completely unacknowledged. I had to change that.

I was that child whose father left to go to war. I was that spouse left behind on
Hannah
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This is an interesting, good book about a girl who has been moving around the world her whole life. Its funny, exciting, sweet, and even sad at some parts...a really good book.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Stein, Tammar High Dive, Pg. 198: Alfred A. Knopf (Random House). Language-PG, Sexual Content-PG, Violence-G.

Arden is headed to Italy. She and her mom have decided to sell the old summer house. Since her mom has been deployed to Iraq she has to close up the house. On the way to Italy, Arden meets some new friends and they persuade her to her to stay in Paris with them for a few days and a simple trip becomes a great adventure.

This is a good book but it just keeps on going. The title doesn't ma
Cynthia
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
There's numerous things to unpack from this book, but my feelings towards it was so genuine. The ending just made me cry, my heart feeling so swelled. I really liked this book a lot - the writing, the story, just everything about it. Everything about Arden was just so relatable (in terms of her personality, way of thinking).
Tyler
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even really pinpoint exactly why I liked this book so much but I really really did. With how short the book was I was afraid I might feel unfulfilled at the end but I totally didn't at all. This was a cute read that wasn't superficial and had some real stuff going on. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book... travel stories for the win :)
Becky
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Stein, Tammar. 2008. High Dive.

"The phone rang at 6 a.m. Even though I expected it, my heart leapt at the shrill sound. I lunged for the receiver, picking it up before the ring ended, and looked over at my roommate. She'd burrowed deeper undercover. I could see only a skein of hair on the pillow. Good.
I glanced at the clock to begin the countdown. My mom and I had exactly fifteen minutes for the phone call.
Technically, everyone was allowed two fifteen-minute DSN, the military phone system, calls
Honeypie
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Another good quality find at Php 100! : ) -16Oct2013

High Dive is the story of Arden. Her father died a few years back, and her mom's a military nurse deployed at Iraq; she has to go back to Sardinia, their family's permanent / vacation home, the only home she's known, to handle its selling. En route to Sardinia, she meets girls on their way to a vacation in Europe, and she's persuaded to come with them. Given that her schedule is not really tight in terms of going back to Sardinia to sell the ho
Sara
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2008
I never know how a randomly selected book will be, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It might even be worthy of 4.5 stars. Arden, a college student whose dad has and mom is now deployed with the Army, is heading to Italy to help sell her family's vacation home when she meets three other college students on the plane, planning to travel around Europe, and Arden takes them up on their invitation to join them. Soon, she's exploring all sorts of tourist spots and not-so-touristy spots around the c ...more
Lauren
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
High Dive by Tammar Stein is a book about this girl who goes to pairs on a suprise trip. She just got out of collage and her father died not so long ago, and her mom is always traveling because she is a docter in the army. So she is used to traveling a lot. so when her mom asks her to go to germany to sell there old home she goes on a plane ready to go to germany. Although along the way she runs in to these collage girls who are going to paris and offer for her to come with them. She soon finds ...more
Ali
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
In this book, the main character, Arden is on a flight to Sardinia. On her plane, she meets three girls who drastically change her mind. They invite her to stay in Paris with them. Now that she was done with school, she figured it wouldn't hurt, so she accepted their offer. For weeks, she struggled with getting hotel rooms, money, and food. One day, the most aggressive girl, Lola, took things too far. After the situation, Arden thought it would be best to go to Sardinia. The trip had been fun, b ...more
Kristin Sumrall
Few books have ever evoked the sense of nostalgia that this book gave me. Reading of Arden's travels through Paris and then Italy made me think back fondly to the semester I spent abroad in Europe. To be honest, I was not expecting much from this book. However, this book surprised me immensely. While a quick, light read, High Dive is truly a coming of age story that explores adulthood and independence. I would definitely recommend this book.

WHAT I LIKED: Arden was a character that made it very e
Kelly
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Martinez
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Arden's family life is in turmoil. Her father is dead, and her mother is stationed in Iraq, leaving Arden alone and afraid. Now that her mother has decided to sell their vacation house in Sardinia - Arden's source of treasured family memories - it's up to Arden keep her emotions in check and help her mother with the practical matters of packing up the house. On the flight overseas, Arden meets a trio of college students on a carefree summer vacation. In a rare show of spontanaeity, Arden decides ...more
Lucy
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lucy by: Hannah
Arden is on her way to Italy to sell her family's much adored summer house in Sardinia. She is traveling alone while her mother is fighting in Iraq, but traveling is not much of a problem, being used to moving almost every few years. Also her father was killed in a car accident, making Arden even more alone.
However, on the plane, Arden meets 3 girls a little older than her, that invite her to roam around Europe (no pun intended...sorry!). Surprisingly enough, Arden agrees, thinking a little adv
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens in military families
I thought this would be a foodie book for teens...but not quite. It is much more a book about traveling and dealing with a parent who has died or one in Iraq. Stein also explores the dynamics of growing up in a military family.

Not bad, but just not great. There definitely isn't enough suspense or tension (indeed, there isn't any at all) to make it a plot-driven story. But one feels short-changed on the character development end of the story.
Maya
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is about a girl who is traveling to visit her mother and meets these other girls. They invite her to go to Paris, france with her and she says yes. They go on different adventures. This book is about them.

I can make a connection because if i were in this situation it would be hard. I would not know what to or how i should let my parents know and also i wouldn't know if i should trust the people inviting me. I most likely wouldn't go.
Sandra
Arden, a college student, has lost her dad and her mother is a solder/nurse in Iraq. This story follows Arden as she makes an impulsive decision to vacation with three other college girls in Europe. It does a good job highlighting the pain of not being with both parents. In addition, a book that takes you through Europe with four girls, and the problems/fun they encounter.
Logan
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was going to be different. I couldn't connect or empathize with the main character. I thought it would be more about traveling and doing different things Europe but instead it kept informing me of how long the wait time was at museums and how expensive Paris was.
D Nine
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why 5 stars:
Details
Realistic contemporary military issues
I teared up couple of times
Message for every reader... focus on what you can control
I connected....
(I'm a parent of swimmers!)
(I was a military wife. I have close family suffering from deployments to Iraq.)
Samanthalei
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this in about 4 hours. It was a quick light read and I really liked it.
Tara
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-teen
I liked this book. About a girl who's father recently passed away and her mother is in Iraq. On a flight she meets 3 girls from Texas who talk her into joing them in Paris.
Lucia
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lucia by: Danielle
Good book to better understand the feelings of a child of a soldier during war. Add to it the child has lost a parent and is trying to deal with this loss all alone. Enjoyable and realistic.
Lynn
Jan 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
SPSV Mrs. Rodgers...: Sahar Sina 2 8 Oct 05, 2013 05:20PM
SPSV Mrs. Rodgers...: Sahar Sina 1 5 Oct 05, 2013 04:56PM
Tammar Stein is the award-winning author of the YA novel, Light Years, a Virginia Reader's Choice book and an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, 2006. Her second novel, High Dive, was nominated for an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, 2009. Kindred, her third novel and the first in a series, was nominated for Teen Choice Best Book Award and received a starred review on Publishers Weekly. Spoils, a comp ...more
“It’s not always pleasant to do necessary things. But part of being adult, of being independent, means that you see what needs to be done and you do it. No muss, no fuss. Right?” 4 likes