Jump to ratings and reviews

Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha

Drawn from original sources, Old Path White Clouds is the beautiful classic recounting of the life and teachings of Gautama Buddha over the course of eighty years. It is retold alternately through the eyes of Svasti, the buffalo boy who provided kusa grass for the Buddha's enlightenment cushion, and the Buddha himself.

600 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Thich Nhat Hanh

631 books10.1k followers
Thích Nhất Hạnh was a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lived in southwest France where he was in exile for many years. Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary family name used by all Vietnamese monks and nuns, meaning that they are part of the Shakya (Shakyamuni Buddha) clan. He was often considered the most influential living figure in the lineage of Lâm Tế (Vietnamese Rinzai) Thiền, and perhaps also in Zen Buddhism as a whole.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
175 (3%)
1 star
114 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 559 reviews
Profile Image for Gabrielle.
977 reviews1,093 followers
January 6, 2018
I’ve been reading and reviewing a bunch of books about Buddhism lately, and it occurred to me that I hadn’t read my very first introduction to the teachings in a really, really long time. We visited the Cham Shan Temple (also known as the Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa, in Niagara Falls, Ontario) over the holidays, and looking at the amazing statues and shrines and spending a little time inside the public temple reminded me how moved I was by my first introduction to the life of the Buddha, and made me want to revisit it.

“Old Path White Clouds” is a beautiful and detailed novelized biography of Siddhartha Gautama. It is based on very meticulous historical research: Thich Nhat Hanh distilled his sources into a flowing narrative that is both elegant and easy to read. He has said about writing this book that he “tried to take away the mystic halos people ascribe to the Buddha. Not being able to see the Buddha as a human being makes it difficult for us to approach the Buddha”. I think that might be why it appealed to me immediately the first time I read it: this was the story of flesh and blood being just like me, who wanted to find a way to help people and ease their suffering.

This book is not a compendium of teachings or a guide for practices and mediation; its aim is to familiarize the reader with the life of Siddhartha Gautama, give them a sense of who he was and how his experiences led him to enlightenment, and inspired him to teach. That being said, I find it an invaluable work for anyone interested in Buddhism because through this biographical format, it also gives the reader a very strong sense of what Buddhism is about, without being didactic or formal. The teachings are interweaved in the story as the narrative unfolds, so it is a very good way to learn about the Middle Way, the Four Noble Truths, the Three Treasures, the Five Precepts, the Eight-fold Path and so on, as they arise within the story of the Buddha's life.

This book is beautiful and inspiring in so many ways. I obviously recommend to everyone, especially to those interested in learning about Buddhism. This is a magnificent story that deserves to be read again and again.
2 reviews2 followers
April 19, 2008
I just finished this reading this book as a participant in the every-other-Wednesday reading/discussion group at the Reno Buddhist Church. If you pick up a copy, don't be intimidated by the book's hefty size; it's written in an easy, flowing style and you will move through it quickly.

A thorough retelling of the story of the life Siddhartha Gautama (better known to most people as the Buddha), the book is highly enjoyable if the reader already has a basic understanding of Buddhist philosophy and spirituality. It is not a textbook study of Buddhist teachings, nor does it go into great detail on the technical aspects of Buddhist practice. Rather, it is quite simply a life's story, a painstakingly researched (and annotated) novelization of the words and actions of the Buddha, written in an easily digestible form. Despite its easy-to-read style, the book does assume that the reader is at least somewhat familiar with certain Buddhist terms and concepts, so it is perhaps not the best place to begin if one is looking for a basic introduction to Buddhist thought. What this book does succeed at doing is giving the reader a fuller sense of who Siddharta Gautama was, how his experiences shaped his teachings, and the impact he had and is still having on the world.
Profile Image for Rosie Nguyễn.
Author 6 books5,810 followers
October 8, 2013
A great book about Buddha, and Buddhism. Found what I have thought scatterly about life, death, and human were all there in the book, more systematically, completely, perfectly. Found out that Buddhism is not merely a religion, but science about life.
Profile Image for সালমান হক.
Author 42 books1,171 followers
August 8, 2018
This is basically Buddha's autobiography told from his various close associates and third person perspectives. Along with it, his teachings are also combined in a simple, understandable form. If you are looking for the history of Buddha and his Sangha's early days, you can pick this up.
Profile Image for Anthony Mazzorana.
221 reviews7 followers
February 14, 2019
The good: It's easy reading and a nice way to learn more about the Buddha's teachings.

The bad: 572 pages felt like 572 pages. It's a biography but it isn't. It's fictionalized. So it's hard to know what Thich Nhat Hanh made up and what he got from original sources. Granted, the Buddha lived over 2,500 years ago so it deserves a serious clump of salt anyways.

The ugly: I don't like that the Buddha's wife is depicted as encouraging him to leave her and their only child to go and find "The Way". One of the things that drew me to the Buddha in the first place is that he's not divine. He's just human and as flawed as the rest of us. So why can't it be that he just found himself having a wife and child at the age of 29 and simply freaked out and left town? That's possible too, isn't it? Does it make him any less the Buddha? Up to you. But I find that messy, flawed-human version much easier to swallow. Spare me the crap about the supportive and beautiful wife going, "Yes, dear, you must leave me and our son to become enlightened. Go! Go now and find the way! Come back in 7 to 10 years when you can save humanity." When I tell my wife I want to go on a 7 day retreat she gives me a funny look. Much less 7 years! Hah!
Profile Image for Grady.
607 reviews37 followers
November 27, 2016
In Old Path White Clouds, Thich Nhat Hanh retells the story of the Buddha's life, drawing on accounts from multiple classical sources. The language is simple, calm, and beautiful; there's conflict in the story, but no false drama, just the clear working out and sharing of the Buddha's teachings, and the growth of the early sangha through the end of the Buddha's life.

Over the last two decades, I've acquired and read parts or all of roughly a dozen different books on Buddhism, from translations of key texts, to essays and memoirs by practicing Buddhists, to modern histories of famous disciples. I've found it all interesting, but hard to retain. Somehow, as I read Old Path White Clouds, I found concepts and references clicking into place one after another. It's not that Hanh tackles all these pieces; as with all his writing (at least, that I've read), his message is simple and very focused on the Buddha's core teachings - the rest of the details just aren't important. (A recurring incident in Old Path is when a young monk or lay person tries to get the Buddha to answer deep metaphysical questions, and the Tathagata says nothing, until he eventually reminds the questioner that he is focused on teaching liberation from suffering, not arcane cosmic truths). Nonetheless, for someone approaching Buddhism with no real familiarity, I think I'd recommend reading a short analytical introduction - something like the Very Short Introduction - that covers core teachings, followed by this quiet gem of a book, before moving into more specialized topics.

Profile Image for Vui Lên.
Author 1 book2,280 followers
October 14, 2019
Hấp dẫn, cảm động, sâu sắc, tinh tế và nhẹ nhàng hơn bất kì câu chuyện nào mà mình đã từng đọc.

Được viết tay bởi thầy Thích Nhất Hạnh nên khi đọc nhiều lúc mình cảm nhận rõ hình bóng của thầy qua câu chuyện thầy kể về cuộc đời Đức Bụt.

Đối diện với ghen ghét bằng từ bi, đối diện với tham lam bằng sự bao dung, đối diện với quyền lực bằng cái vô ngã. Bản thân những hành động của Bụt cũng là những bài học hết sức sâu sắc về cuộc đời rồi. Không cần phải tô vẽ thêm gì nhiều nữa.

Profile Image for Heidi Nummi.
Author 2 books25 followers
May 10, 2016
The most beautiful and inspiring book I've ever read.

A must-read for every living being.
Profile Image for Nguyễn Quang Vũ.
131 reviews173 followers
February 6, 2017
Bụt đã ghi dấu chân trên mọi nẻo đường hành hóa. Đi đâu đ��i đức cũng sẽ dẫm lên dấu chân của người. Đường xưa còn đó, những đám mây trắng vẫn còn, nếu mình bước một bước trên con đường nầy, bước với tâm trạng an hòa và tỉnh thức, thì con đường xưa và những đám mây trắng cũ sẽ mầu nhiệm biến thành con đường hôm nay và những đám mây trắng trong hiện tại. Những đám mây trắng ngày xưa còn đó và con đường ngày xưa hiện thực nằm dưới chân ta. (trích ĐXMT, trang 675)
Profile Image for Nikki.
354 reviews14 followers
January 8, 2012
This is so much more than a book. It's absolutely an experience. I have walked alongside the Buddha for 572 blissful pages. Thich Nhat Hanh delivers a beautiful narrative of the Buddha's life, including his path to enlightenment and all his teachings in the years that follow. Imbedded within the Buddha's story are many stories about other followers, monks, and nuns, how they struggled, and how they came to follow the Buddha. Many of the Buddhas teachings are contained within this text and explained beautifully. The book is easy to read, but you want to take your time with it, letting everything wash over you and sink in. The process of reading it mindfully is a beautiful meditation. Highly recommend for anyone seeking to improve their spiritual life, regardless of their religion. The Buddha's precepts apply to us all.
Profile Image for Suman Srivastava.
Author 3 books40 followers
June 16, 2020
What a difference 10 years makes. Then I gave this book 3 stars. 🤦🏾
Profile Image for Peter Upton.
Author 1 book32 followers
February 1, 2023
With its ‘Four Establishments of Mindfulness, the Four Right Efforts, the Five Faculties, the Five Powers, the Seven Factors of Awakening and the Noble Eightfold Path’(page 457)and ‘such simple practices as the sixteen methods of observing the breath’ (page 476)Buddhism has always felt too intellectually demanding to appeal to me. However, my biggest doubt was that I was under the impression that they believed in an endlessly repeated cycle of birth, death and rebirth which I couldn’t accept because even if they were right, there must be at least a micro-second between death and rebirth. Where does that soul/spirit go to in that micro-second? If the next world is outside of the rules of time then that micro-second could be an eternity to the soul/spirit that has entered it. There is also the question of what happens to all of the soul/spirits that die in mass extinctions like the First World War and its accompanying flu epidemic when there are not enough new births to accommodate them instantly?
There was no answer to my query until page444 when Buddha says, “If not, how could there be a way out of birth and death?” ‘A way out’! A doorway leading where? He believes that there is a next world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is followed by such a beautiful explanation that I am sure the writer of this book will forgive me for quoting it in full.
“Ananda, have you ever stood on a seashore and watched the waves rise and fall on the surface of the sea? Birthlessness and deathlessness are like the water. Birth and death are like the waves. Ananda, there are long waves and short waves, high waves and low waves. Waves rise and fall, but the water remains. Without water, there could be no waves. Waves are water, water is waves. Though the waves may rise and pass away, if they understand that they themselves are the water, they will transcend notions of birth and death. They will not worry, fear, or suffer because of birth and death.”
Many years ago I had a similar realization in that we are all like droplets of water from a great lake to which we return, rippling the surface with our new knowledge. But this explanation by the Buddha is so simple and yet so complete. Absolutely beautiful!
So let’s also simplify the rest of the core of Buddha’s teachings which he gained through meditation and moments of enlightenment.
1: Everything is interconnected and depends on everything else in this world for its survival. “When you look at a leaf or a raindrop, meditate on all the conditions, near and distant, that have contributed to the presence of that leaf or raindrop.” (page 409) To which I would add, see that it is also part of the water, part of God.
2: On the way to attaining spiritual liberation.
‘He said that offerings and prayers were not effective means to attain liberation.’ (page 232).
He also said,
“ a person who has never tasted a mango cannot know its taste no matter how many words and concepts someone else uses to describe it to him. We can only grasp reality through direct experience. That is why I have often told the bhikkhus (monks) not to lose themselves in useless discussion that wastes precious time better spent looking deeply at things.” (page 467).
So practice meditating instead of reading about it.
“But if one tries too hard, one will suffer fatigue and discouragement.......know your own strength. Don’t force your body and mind beyond their limits. Only then can you attain the fruits of practice.” (pages 484-485)

Having attained these fruits Buddha gives the following advice that so many religious leaders should follow.
“My teaching is a means of practice not something to hold onto or worship. My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river. Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore, the shore of liberation.” (page 213)
This is a beautiful book of 572 pages where you will not only learn about the Buddha's life and journey to enlightenment but find many more thought provoking statements.
The one question that keeps coming back to me over the years since I first read this book is that at the time of Buddha the Jain religion already existed with its vegetarianism, it's determination to do no harm to any living thing and it's concentration on meditation as the way to reach enlightenment with its only adulation kept for the Bridge Builders, that is those Jains who had crossed the Bridge into enlightenment and served as an example to everyone else that, meditation is the way. As an educated Prince, Buddha must have known all about the Jains so why didn't he just join them and train with them instead of putting himself through years of near starvation?
Profile Image for Mai.
331 reviews40 followers
September 14, 2020
Cuốn thứ hai của Thích Nhất Hạnh mà mình được đọc, từng trang đầu của sách mình đã bị thu hút vì cách kể của tác giả cứ như đang dẫn dắt vào một câu truyện phiêu lưu vậy. Cứ nghĩ sách chỉ đơn thuần là theo dấu chân bụt từ khi bụt sinh ra, tìm đường học đạo, giác ngộ dưới cây Bồ đề và con đường hoằng hoá của Bụt thôi ấy vậy mà Đan xen vào những câu chuyện là những bài học, những triết lý hướng tâm mình gieo mầm an lạc. Nhờ đọc cuốn sách này mình giờ mới tỏ tường được ý nghĩa của những cái tên và nguồn gốc của nó như Buddha là người tỉnh thức, cây pippala mà dưới tán cây đó Bụt đã tìm được đạo của mình là Budha là cây tỉnh thức, ý nghĩa của những ô vuông trên áo cà sa của các tăng sư Phật giáo, ý nghĩa của chữ “Như Lai” trong Phật tổ Như Lai và chữ “không” Trong triết lý nhà Phật. Đọc mà cứ được vỡ từ vấn đề này đến vấn đề khác, hiếm cuốn nào mà mình đọc chậm như cuốn này, cứ đọc xong rồi lại đọc lại cái đoạn vừa đọc vì đọc mãi mà vẫn chưa hiểu ý tứ của Bụt là gì, hiểu được rồi lại thấy thấm dễ sợ. Nhiều đoạn thấm tới mức mình có thể tưởng tượng tới viễn cảnh nếu có những ngày tháng đau bệnh nằm liệt giường sau này thì đây là cuốn sách để mình bấu víu vào, là liều thuốc để mình quên đi cơn đau để thanh thản trong tâm hồn lẫn thân xác ấy. Trong sách có nhiều hình ảnh thật đẹp, những hình ảnh lúc bụt và các khất sĩ thiện toạ, hình ảnh Sudatta vì lời nói của thái tử mà mua vàng lót đầy khu vườn để có thể dựng được nơi an cư cho Bụt và tăng đoàn, đặc biệt hơn cả là hình ảnh lúc Bụt diệt độ trong khu rừng Sala, những cánh hoa trắng rơi phấp phới cả khu rừng. Nói chung là một cuốn sách quá hay, bạn thiết nghĩ cần phải có ở bên để đọc đi đọc lại nhiều lần, để thấm, để nhớ và để tìm cái an cái yên cho tâm hồn mình.
Profile Image for Sherilyn Siy.
165 reviews6 followers
June 7, 2017
I liked the first 1/4 of the book and was completely hooked into the story of the Buddha's enlightenment and insights into life, death, the universe. I love the Thich Nhat Hanh books I have read so far and was so looking forward to this book. However, he lost me when he started going into who donated what to the Buddha, who visited the Buddha and became monks, who hosted vegetarian banquets for the Buddha, and the nitty gritty rules of monk life. I honestly think A LOT can be cut out from the book and it would have been 10 times better. I could barely finish reading and just skimmed my way to the end. Disappointing.
Profile Image for Malum.
2,179 reviews130 followers
June 18, 2020
One of those books that started as a strong 5 stars, slowly dropped down to 4, and ended at a 3.

The main problem is that, the longer the books goes on, the more you realize how repetitive it is. The Buddha meets a doubter, convinces him of the truth of Buddhism, and then the person becomes a monk/nun. Repeat this for about six hundred pages and you will have a good idea of what to expect here.

One good thing, though, is that Hanh is really good at speaking through the Buddha. Whenever the Buddha gives a teaching, he does it in a way that is easy for the reader to quickly grasp.
Profile Image for Huy Nguyen.
13 reviews5 followers
January 6, 2015
sách hay nên đọc cho những bạn muốn tìm hiểu về cuộc đời đức Phật, con đường giác ngộ, và những lời giảng về Phật pháp qua những câu chuyện nhẹ nhàng, sâu sắc.
1 review1 follower
October 19, 2010
Personally, the best written recount of the buddha's life.
Beautiful, clear and simple writing without missing out on the important sutras and key essence of what buddhism is all about.

I have attended Thich Nhat Nanh's retreat and enjoyed it thoroughly. He also mentioned in his website that " I knew that the readers would have much happiness while reading the book because I had so much happiness while writing it"

Indeed I felt light and happy reading the book. Its simple yet deep. It deserves a second read - which I intend to do and cross reference with all the sutras.

------------

More information about Thay's account of writing Old Path, White cloud taken from

At that time I was also writing the book Old Path White Clouds. We did not have central heating yet, only a wood stove in the little room above the bookshop, and the weather was very cold. I wrote with my right hand, and I put my left hand out over the stove. I was very happy writing. From time to time, I would stand up and make myself a cup of tea. Every day, the few hours I spent writing was like sitting with the Buddha for a cup of tea. I knew that the readers would have much happiness while reading the book because I had so much happiness while writing it.

Writing Old Path White Clouds was not hard work; rather, it was an immense joy. It was also a time of discovery. Some sections were more difficult to write than others. One difficult section was when the Buddha first gave teachings to the three Kashyapa brothers and received them as disciples. There are documents that say the Buddha had to use miracles to do it, but I wanted to show that he did it with his compassion and understanding. The Buddha has a great capacity of understanding and compassion, so why would he have to use miraculous powers? I had a strong faith that I would be able to write the chapter in that light. That was the most difficult chapter for me, but eventually succeeded. The second most difficult chapter was when the Buddha went back to visit his family after becoming enlightened. He was still the son of his parents and a brother to his siblings. I wished to write in a way that would retain his human qualities. The way he took the hand of his father upon their meeting, the way he related with his younger sister, with Yasodhara and Rahula, was very natural. I could only write in that way because I felt the ancestral teachers supporting me. In reading Old Path White Clouds, we find that Buddha is a human being and not a god. That is precisely the aim, to help readers rediscover the Buddha as a human being. I tried to take away the mystic halos people ascribe to the Buddha. Not being able to see the Buddha as a human being makes it difficult for us to approach the Buddha.

Profile Image for Anh.
86 reviews
Read
November 28, 2017
Thỉnh thoảng những lúc trái gió trở trời, tim đau ngực tức, mình lại nhớ tới tựa đề của cuốn sách này. Đường xưa mây trắng. Mà nói chung thầy Nhất Hạnh đặt tựa đề sách thật là hay, không chỉ cuốn này. Am mây ngủ, bàn tay cũng là hoa, thả một bè lau... Mặc dù đọc sách của thầy nhiều thì mình thấy mình không hợp với giọng văn của thầy lắm, không biết là tại sao. Nhất là quyển này. Nghe qua audio trước khi đi ngủ hoặc lúc trên tàu điện cũng chẳng đem lại cảm xúc khá hơn.

Dù sao thì tựa Đường xưa mây trắng nghe thật nhẹ nhàng thanh thản. Nhưng mình thích Đường trăng mây sứa hơn. Đường trăng mây sứa ở đâu? Làm sao mà tìm được, huhu.
Profile Image for Huyền.
152 reviews13 followers
March 28, 2022
Đường xưa mây trắng có lẽ là cuốn sách hay nhất từ trước đến giờ mà mình đọc về đạo Bụt cũng như về cuộc đời của Bụt. Sách có lối kể chuyện rất khác so với những câu chuyện về Bụt mà mình đã từng đọc hoặc nghe qua.

Đúng như dụng ý của tác giả, Bụt ở trong Đường xưa mây trắng hiện lên như là một con người rất gần gũi, không có những phép màu nhiệm, những vòng hào quang trên đầu, hay những phép thần thông mà người bình thường không có như trong nhiều tài liệu tôn giáo khác. Bụt và những giáo lý của Đạo Bụt (đạo Tỉnh thức) được diễn giải một cách hết sức đời thường, tự nhiên, dễ hiểu và đầy tính thực hành, không hề giáo điều hay có một sự cuồng tín hoặc thần thánh hóa nào. Không thể nào nói hết được tất cả những giáo lý tuyệt vời này trong một bài review ngắn ngủi, mà chúng chỉ có thể được cảm nhận trọn vẹn khi đọc sách, bởi vì mỗi bài học mà Bụt để lại đều gắn với những câu chuyện, những nhân duyên riêng mà Người gặp được trên con đường tìm đạo, giác ngộ và truyền bá đạo pháp của Người.

Câu chuyện cuộc đời của Bụt được kể lại theo một mạch truyện vòng tròn khép kín, có cấu trúc đầu cuối tương ứng. Nó bắt đầu với những cảm nhận của cậu khất sĩ trẻ Svastika (Cát Tường) hồi còn là một cậu bé chăn trâu và mới bắt đầu đi theo Bụt ít lâu, và kết thúc cũng với những cảm nhận của Đại đức Svastika nay đã lớn tuổi khi Bụt đã nhập diệt. Mình rất thích lối kể chuyện này.

Là một người nữ, mình vô cùng khâm phục tình thương, bản lĩnh và đức hy sinh to lớn của hai người phụ nữ quan trọng nhất trong cuộc đời Bụt trước khi xuất gia, đó là hoàng hậu Gotami (Kiều Đàm Di), người mẹ, dì mẫu của Bụt, và công nương Yasodhara (Da-du-đà-la), vợ của Người. Mình đặc biệt xúc động với phân đoạn mà Bụt kể cho đám trẻ con nghe một câu chuyện tiền thân mà trong đó nhằm ngầm gửi những lời biết ơn tới công nương Yasodhara, người cũng đang đứng nghe và khóc. Mình thực sự ngưỡng mộ tấm lòng nhân hậu, bản lĩnh cũng như tình yêu của người phụ nữ này dành cho chồng mình. Mình và cả Bụt cũng hiểu rằng Người sẽ không thể yên tâm xuất gia và thành đạo nếu không có sự ủng hộ hết lòng từ người vợ của mình. Trước đây, khi đ���c những tiểu sử của Bụt, một phần nào đó trong tâm mình thường có cảm giác Người không quan tâm nhiều lắm tới gia đình. Nhưng qua cuốn sách này, mình đã hiểu kỹ hơn về cuộc đời của Bụt và nhận ra mình đã sai lầm như thế nào. Mình thực sự cảm nhận được tình yêu thương bao la của Người với vạn vật trong Vũ trụ xuyên suốt cuốn sách này, và tình yêu rộng lớn và vô điều kiện đó một phần cũng xuất phát từ tình yêu dành cho gia đình. Chính vì muốn đi tìm con đường giải thoát cho người thân, cho con trai của mình, mà Người mới lên đường đi tìm đạo.
Profile Image for hayatem.
657 reviews170 followers
September 8, 2019
تعاليم بوذا تنحاز لتكريس الفردانية وتعظيم مفاهيمها في عقل المجتمع. قد تتفق مع بعض هذي التعاليم وتختلف في بعض جزئياتها.
اهتم الكاتب في سرد أدق تفاصيل التعاليم البوذية وكيف صنعها الأب الروحي للبوذا "المعلم العظيم غوتاما"عبر سرد سيرة حياته الذاتية والروحية.
لم يخلو الكتاب من قصص بها تعظيم لشخص البوذا وقدراته الاعجازية او قدراته المذهلة في الاقناع او التأثير على الأفراد طوال رحلة حياته التعليمية.
كما تلمس بعض المبالغة او المغالاة في بعض القصص المسرودة عن مواقف وقصص حدثت مع البوذا في طريق الاستناره ونشر تعاليمه، وما واجهه من مخاطر في سبيل ذلك.

الكتاب جميل لمن يحمل فضول في معرفة تعاليم ومبادئ وطقوس هذه الديانة الدرامية.

ترجمة الأديب عادل خزام جميلة.
Profile Image for an's littleforest of books.
178 reviews86 followers
April 17, 2022
In remembrance of Thay,
Để tưởng nhớ Thầy,

Đường xưa mây trắng là một cuốn tiểu sử về cuộc đời của Phật Thích Ca (Siddhārtha Gautama) dựa trên các tài liệu lịch sử bằng tiếng Pali, Sanskrit và tiếng Hán. Câu chuyện được kể với ngôn ngữ đơn giản gần gũi, lấy ngữ cảnh là cuộc đời của Phật, của gia đình, bạn bè và những người xung quanh đã được giáo hóa bởi trí tuệ và sự từ bi của người.

Như chính Thầy đã đề trong phần lời tác giả, Thầy đã chủ tâm không nhắc đến những phép thần thông hay được sử dụng để tô điểm cho cuộc đời của Bụt, mà thậm chí còn thường xuyên nhắc tới những khó khăn Bụt gặp phải trong đời sống. Nhờ đó người đọc nhận ra Bụt không phải là một hình tượng thần thánh khó với tới, mà cũng là một con người - cũng phải trải qua gian nan khổ cực trong hành trình giác ngộ và truyền bá đạo pháp.

Cuốn sách này càng củng cố sự kính trọng của mình với đạo Phật - nó không phủ nhận các tôn giáo khác, không tôn vinh giáo lí của chính mình, không đi giải thích những hiện tượng cao siêu thần bí. Như Bụt đã giải thích:
“Giáo pháp của tôi là một phương tiện để đi vào thực tại chứ không phải là để miêu tả thực tại, cũng như ngón tay chỉ lên mặt trăng không phải là mặt trăng. Người khôn khéo phải nương vào ngón tay để thấy được mặt trăng. Nếu cố chấp vào ngón tay, nếu cho ngón tay là mặt trăng thì sẽ không có cơ hội nào thấy được mặt trăng cả. Giáo pháp của tôi là để thực tập chứ không phải là để cất giữ mà thờ phụng và ca ngợi. Chiếc bè là để giúp ta qua sông chứ không phải để ta vác lên trên vai mà tự hào. Này các bạn, giáo pháp tôi dạy cũng như một chiếc bè. Phải sử dụng nó để đi sang bên bờ bên kia, bờ giải thoát. "

Cái hay của đạo Phật đó là bạn có thể không cần biết gì về Phật giáo, không biết gì về tứ diệu đế, bát chánh đạo, nhưng nếu bạn có thể sống tỉnh thức, sống có trí tuệ và lòng từ bi mỗi ngày, thì bạn vẫn có thể thành Phật. Bản thân từ Bụt - cách gọi tiếng việt của từ Buddha - trong tiếng Magadhi có nghĩa là người tỉnh thức. Ai sinh ra cũng có hạt giống bụt trong tâm, không phân biệt giai cấp, sắc tộc, chỉ cần người ấy sống tỉnh thức thì người đó có thể được gọi là Bụt.

Bụt đã nhập diệt, cũng như sư Thầy kính yêu đã nhập diệt, nhưng giống như lời Bụt đã dạy, “vạn pháp vô thường, có sinh thì có diệt”, Bụt và Thầy vẫn có mặt trong giáo pháp, trong những lời dạy, trong nụ cười trẻ thở, trong đám mây trắng trên bầu trời xanh.

“A Cloud Never Dies”
Profile Image for San San.
94 reviews35 followers
July 4, 2015
Một cuốn sách, một cuộc đời của một con người vĩ đại. Cuốn sách sẽ khiến ta phải đọc đi đọc lại vài lần, và cố gắng tìm hiểu thêm những kiến thức liên quan để thấm hết chân lý trong đó.
Đọc xong lần đầu tiên, cảm thấy Bụt vừa giống như một con người lại vừa giống như vượt thoát mọi xiềng xích của sinh tử, thoát ra khỏi bánh xe luôn hồi.
Cảm thấy mình như sơ nhập vào bước khởi đầu của con đường giải thoát, với chánh niệm, với các pháp của Bụt...
Thời gian đọc sách là thời gian để tâm tĩnh lặng và mỗi sáng ngồi thiền, quán niệm, thân, tâm, ý khiến mình trở nên trầm lĩnh và điềm đạm hơn rất nhiều...
Thực sự rất rất muốn cứ duy trì con đường này....
Còn rất nhiều điều chưa hiểu về những lời dạy của Bụt, nhưng mà ít ra, mình đã tìm thấy một con đường...
Profile Image for Madhura.
5 reviews
April 18, 2020
To describe the life of a being such as the Buddha is an insurmountable task. While the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh makes a beautiful attempt to do so, I felt the book could been more captivating or evocative.

The Buddha's teachings appear repetitively across the book and sometimes tend to be discussed to the point of abstraction - which could lead to a bit of exhaustion on the part of the reader (it took me one year and a fair bit of patience to read the entire book). After all, I picked up the book to know more about the Buddha's life, rather than to understand his teachings in depth (albeit, one would argue that to know about the Buddha's teachings is to know more about his life, but my point here is that it should have been finely balanced).

A small chart/relationship tree to explain the various people in the Buddha's life and their interrelations could help the reader to process the many names in the book - even as a native speaker it was difficult for me to relate to the names and their associations with the Buddha.

Having said that, it is definitely a wonderful book.
Profile Image for QuyAn.
96 reviews
Read
December 1, 2021
"Đường xưa còn đó, những đám mây trắng vẫn còn, nếu mình bước một bước trên con đường nầy, bước với tâm trạng an hòa và tỉnh thức, thì con đường xưa và những đám mây trắng cũ sẽ mầu nhiệm biến thành con đường hôm nay và những đám mây trắng trong hiện tại."
"Đường xưa mây trắng" có sự đơn giản và hấp dẫn của một câu chuyện cổ tích cho những ai mới bắt đầu, có quá trình và diễn giải cho những người còn nghi ngờ, và có lý luận cao siêu cho những người thực sự nghiêm túc trên con đường này.
Hai tháng nay ngày nào mình cũng nghe quyển này trên đường đi học và trước lúc ngủ. Nên dù hàng ngày có chuyện gì xảy ra, xúc động bồn chồn hay vui vẻ tăng động cách mấy đi nữa, thì buổi tối cũng có liều thuốc an thần này, cũng có những phút an yên và hạnh phúc thanh thản để chờ đợi. Quyển sách này là khu rừng điều hoà lại tất cả những xao động trong lòng, là vòng tay ba mẹ ôm mình như những ngày còn ở nhà không ngủ được, là tiếng nói nhắc nhở mình thở và bình yên ở hiện tại. Là chốn đi về trong lòng.
Profile Image for Minh Nhật.
86 reviews49 followers
January 6, 2015
Cuộc đời của Bụt Siddhartha Gautama hiện lên qua Đường Xưa Mây Trắng thật giản dị, đẹp đẽ và rất "người". Con đường Giác Ngộ và Hành Đạo giúp đợi thật trải qua nhiều biến cố giúp ta nhận ra được những chân giá trị của cuộc sống.
Profile Image for Thomas.
277 reviews5 followers
December 19, 2022
I never thought 'Footprints…' by Marie Byles would be usurped when it comes to the origin story of Gautama and Buddhism but Hạnh did just that with his magnificent 'Old Path'.

Simple, direct, engaging and entertaining. And even if you think you know a thing or two about a thing or two… the wisdom in here will surely crack open your skull (and heart) when you least expect it.

(Of all the books I've ever read this has to be the first time the author actually tells the reader to stop "for a few minutes" to breath/meditate on [spoiler-alert thousands of years after the fact] the Buddha's passing.)

Essential reading.

"'You children have understood. People are not born with caste. Everyone's tears are salty, and everyone's blood is red. It is wrong to divide people into castes and create division and prejudice among them.'"

“The peace and joy you feel is the peace and joy to which even the gods aspire.”

“I am not bound or restrained by the elements. Birth and death cannot touch me. I smile because I have never been born and I will never die. Birth does not give me existence. Death does not take existence away.”

Profile Image for Lala Nguyen.
211 reviews93 followers
March 24, 2018
Một quãng đường dài của con đường luân chuyển, hoằng pháp độ hóa chúng sinh nơi Bụt - Người Tỉnh Thức.

Chỉ mới đọc vài quyển về Phật Pháp hơn năm nay thôi. Cuốn sách đã cho bạn hiểu thêm nữa về những câu chuyện nơi Bụt dưới ngòi bút của Thích Nhất Hạnh - Bụt hiện ra gần gũi và đầy toàn giác.

Khép lại cuốn sách, bỗng cõi lòng cũng nhẹ tựa mây. Nhìn xung quanh bốn phía, nhìn nơi thân thể, tâm thức, khổ đau, vui sướng, cỏ cây, con đường... nở một nụ cười an yên! "Trăng, sao, sông núi, ánh sáng mặt trời, tiếng chim hót, tiếng suối reo... tất cả những biểu hiện đó của vũ trụ đều mầu nhiệm, đều đẹp đẽ, đều có thể cho ta những nguồn vui bất tận"

Bạn chỉ hy vọng bạn có thể tĩnh tâm và quán chiếu mọi sự, mọi vật ngay bây giờ tận mãi mãi về sau

"Tự tính của vạn pháp vượt ra ngoài ý niệm đẹp và xấu. Đẹp và xấu là những ý niệm tạo ra do tri giác và nhận thức dung thường"

"Buông bỏ không có nghĩa là ghét bỏ và chạy trốn. Buông bỏ có nghĩa là buông bỏ sự vướng mắc và đam mê, không bị ràng buộc và khổ đau vì sanh diệt thành hoại của các pháp nữa. Một khi đạt được giải thoát và buông bỏ, hành giả sống an lạc trong cuộc đời mà không có gì có thể ràng buộc hành giả"

"Suốt đời, Bụt đã đi, nhưng người chỉ đi mà không cần tới. Vì vậy cho nên người đi thong thả, cho nên mỗi bước của người đưa người tới giờ phút hiện tại. Sự sống chỉ có mặt trong giờ phút hiện tại, ngay ở chỗ mình đứng"
Profile Image for Tan Khuc.
52 reviews3 followers
March 21, 2019
Nếu đọc cuốn sách này như một cuốn tiểu thuyết kể câu chuyện về con đường đi đến giác ngộ của Đức Phật, thì cảm giác hơi chậm. Rất nhiều nhân vật và tình tiết, nhưng kết cấu truyện cũng như diễn biến phát triển tâm lý nhân vật thì không có gì đặc biệt.

Tuy nhiên, đây là một cuốn sách quí đối với những người muốn hiểu rõ hơn về giải thoát, đạo Phật và đời sống tu hành.

Bạn có thể cảm giác như đang xem một bộ phim với từng chi tiết chậm rãi - đúng kiểu thầy viết cũng đầy chánh niệm.

Bạn cũng có thể thấy như đây là một cuốn sách giáo khoa về giải thoát - tường tận, đơn giản, với ngôn ngữ trong sáng.

Và bạn thấy câu chuyện đi tìm đạo của Đức Phật thật gần gũi, cái xa cách của 2500 năm gần như là biến mất.

Tôi rất thích chương 65: Không "có" cũng không "không", và những phần nói về không, về vô ngã.

Nhưng trên tất cả, có lẽ cái làm nên giá trị của cuốn sách không hẳn là những kiến thức hay một phần lịch sử mà thầy truyền tải, mà nó là thứ tinh thần tinh khiết, bình lặng và ngập tràn tình thương, một thứ ánh sáng giống như ánh trăng - mà bạn có thể cảm nhận từng chút từ cuộc sống, nhờ câu chuyện mà thầy đã kể lại.

Chắc tôi sẽ còn quay lại cuốn sách này nhiều lần nữa.
662 reviews5 followers
June 25, 2017
I feel almost guilty to say that I did not like this book very much. Buddha as per this book was a proselytizer more than a fully realized soul. He also calls his path the only true path. I come from a religious system that emphasize s on multiple roads leading to the same destination. And my understanding of Buddha was a little different - I think he was definitely a realized soul who taught compassion and tolerance towards all living beings. There is also quite a bit of Brahmin hatred in the book. Every Brahmin character is narrow minded and power hungry and the only good ones are those who convert to Buddhism. And in addition to the forceful conversion by murder threats, historically this is how non-Hindu religions spread in India - by painting one group of people as evil and making this religion as their saviour.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 559 reviews