Start by marking “These Shallow Graves” as Want to Read:
These Shallow Graves

These Shallow Graves

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  10,782 ratings  ·  2,280 reviews
Jo Montfort is beautiful and rich, and soon—like all the girls in her class—she’ll graduate from finishing school and be married off to a wealthy bachelor. Which is the last thing she wants. Jo secretly dreams of becoming a writer—a newspaper reporter like the trailblazing Nellie Bly.

Wild aspirations aside, Jo’s life seems perfect until tragedy strikes: her fat
Published October 27th 2015 by Random House Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about These Shallow Graves, please sign up.
Wasdkjdf Unfortunately, there will not be a sequel for this story

·  10,782 ratings  ·  2,280 reviews

Start your review of These Shallow Graves
Emily May
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The truth can be a hard thing, Jo. It’s often best left hidden,” Phillip said quietly.

I just had so much fun reading this book. It's very compelling and easy to read, but it's also full of more and more surprises as the book moves along. It's the kind of historical mystery that opens up more and more doors, so even if you guess one reveal, there are many more in store.

I love this kind of historical fiction, especially when it focuses on women (

I love this kind of historical fiction, especially when it focuses on women (
Cat Winters also does this very well). These Shallow Graves is set in 1890s New York and the author does a fantastic job of portraying life as it was then. The main character - Jo - is a high society girl who mustn't bring shame on her family, but the book also looks at what women from all walks of life had to deal with.

There is a lot of great female friendship, humourous hushed discussions about the things ladies shouldn't know (like the existence of brothels), and a sad look at the lack of freedom women had. Also, it was chilling to read about how easily a woman could be deemed "mad" or "hysterical" for acting in a passionate or rebellious way.

I think Donnelly got the balance just right with Jo. She's spirited and strong-willed, but her personality still feels true to the time. She's naive and ignorant of many things - something that changes as the story moves along and I love good character development. But I also really liked the secondary characters: Fay is such a badass, Eddie is charming, Oscar is adorable, and others who might be too spoilery to mention.

For the first half of this book, I was merely enjoying it. Lots of upper class angst and a murder mystery to keep me entertained. But somewhere in the middle, this novel became so much more than that. I love the direction the story took and how just when you think all the exciting reveals have happened, new surprises emerge.

Everything about the ending was perfect.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube | Pinterest
Sasha Alsberg
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I really liked this book!
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Josephine Montfort stared at the newly mounded grave in front of her and at the wooden cross marking it.

How did this happen? How did I get here? Jo asked herself. She didn’t want to do this. She wanted to be home. Safe inside her Gramercy Square town house.

“Wait by the vault. Go back,” Eddie said. Not unkindly.
Jo laughed. Go back? How? There was no going back. Not to her old life of drawing rooms and dances. Not to Miss Sparkwell’s School. Not to her friends, or to
Faye, la Patata
Do I need to add it to my TBR? YES.
Do I need to pre-order it? YES.
Do I need to take it out on a romantic date as soon as it's in my hands? DOUBLE YES.
Do I need to put it in a special shelf dedicated to special books? THE UNIVERSE SAYS YES.
Do I need to read it... AS SOON AS POSSIBLY POSSIBLE?!?!?!

It's been a while since I've read this book but it still feels like I read it yesterday. I can still remember how engrossed I was, flying through the pages with such vigclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
It'sYES.
Do
Rachel E. Carter
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
"Morality is a luxury, my darling. A very expensive one."

description

AGGGGGGGHHHHH. SO, SOOO GOOD. A freaking hidden gem. So much realness (it doesn't skirt it, either) and so much girl power and I just loved the way this whole book played out -it could have gone the dopey old-fashioned historical romance route but instead it turned into utter brilliance where you literally can't stop smiling like a nut as you read (or maybe that's just me).

I cheated and read this in one whole sitting last night. The funny thing?
Nastassja

Actual rating 4.5

She felt like a fairy-tale princess woken by a kiss to a new world, new people, new emotions.

Before I start this review I have a confession to make. I am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. The adventures of Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite books ever. I love a thorough mystery, I love when the author allows readers be a part of investigation. Also, I am a big fan of Nancy Drew games *gasp*. Yep, it's my guilty pleasure. I love these computer games, I love to snoop and sneak with Nancy, digging and turning s/>She

Keertana
These Shallow Graves is Jennifer Donnelly's third historical fiction novel for young adults and, like her previous two, I fell head-over-heels in love with it. Much like A Northern Light, Donnelly's latest features a curious, determined protagonist and a mystery whose secrets threaten the very lives of our characters. Moreover, it is littered with snippets of dialogue and scenarios which serve to distinguish the sharp line between women and men, particularly the hypocrisy and cruelty that kept women from at ...more
Rayne
After a beautiful start, Donnelly and I have had a very rocky last two years. I fell in love with Revolution and A Northern Light, which always seemed to me like gorgeously written and very sensitive books about realistically complex girls. I ached for those two main characters, different from each other but equally compelling and believable, and I believed their pain and their world and the things they had to do to overcome their circumstances. Donnelly conveyed their lives with a sensitivity that showcased am ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

This was a nice little mystery. I thought Jo was sweet trying to find out what happened to her father. She knew he didn't shoot himself by accident cleaning one of his guns, it's just not something he would have done. Now they are saying suicide or murder..

Jo starts going sleuthing on her own because her family would have a fit if they knew what she was doing. She runs into a man from
Taylor Knight
I loved this book so much. I loved everything about it. I loved the writing, the plot, the characters and, get ready for it, the romance. That's right. As someone who always complains about romance in YA, I was blown away. Jo and Eddie are the real deal. Their relationship was well written and developed and real. And intense. I loved their bantering. I was so emotionally invested in this book. I can't even begin to explain how this book made me feel. Jennifer Donnelly is an incredible writer.
Ove
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
on-hold

I don't know if I'm not in the mood for this book or if this book isn't in the mood for me.

y'all it hurts to stare at it every time i come on goodreads so it's got to go.
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* This was fantastic!! I was gripped instantly simply from the prologue. Brilliant characters, an immersive setting and a page turning plot. I enjoyed this a lot. Definitely recommended!!

Read my full review on my blog ~ http://girlreading.co.uk/bookreviews/...
Drew
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“An uneasiness had descended on her, as cold and ominous as a winter night.”

4 1/2 stars. Let's get this part out of the way: The mystery was good. I had no problems with it. It was a mixture of frighteningly atmospheric, brainiac detective sleuthing, and a good dosage of humor like the kind in Jackaby. I especially loved Jo's first visit to the morgue, when she met the wonderful Oscar Rubin and was appalled by his offer of a pleased-to-meet-you bloody handshake.

But then the romance was introduced, and it b/>But
Lindsay Cummings
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book had EVERYTHING I was hoping for and more! it was my first book by Jennifer Donnelly, and I'd heard about all her lovely books--so I picked this one up at the airport on the way back from my own book tour....and, wow. Beautifully told, creepy, with a PERFECT, believable romance and an amazing, strong female lead. I'm so impressed!!!
Kels
I'm a huge fan of period pieces, in fact, historical fictions are actually what solidified my love for reading at a very young age. Yeah, I know it's a genre far from Harry Potter (which I embarrassingly still have yet read, and I fear I may have outgrown the excitement for), but there has always been something enchanting about venturing into the past and experiencing the world (the people, the culture, the customs, the language, etc) in a different age that has always appealed to me. Sadly, The ...more
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*4,5/5 stars*

“If you're going to bury the past, bury it deep, girl. Shallow graves always give up their dead.”

Such a dark, haunting and deviously intelligent book! All of these characters - good or bad or as it mostly happens: somewhere in-between - were wonderfully crafted and complex. The main heroine Jo was admirable, driven to the point, with great mind. (view spoiler) ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I was looking forward to reading this! I have read the authors Waterfire Saga series and I love murder mysteries. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it.

I found it really boring. The beginning bothered me rather than pulling me in. And I didn't enjoy the talk about marriages in the beginning.

Still recommend.
Chesca
Rating Breakdown
Crime/Mystery: 2 stars
Romance: 4 stars
Writing: 5 stars
Characters: 3.8 stars
Historical setting: 5 stars

Note: A read for The Quarterly Book Club's 2017 1st Quarter - Kickass Female Leads

“The truth costs.
Lies cost more.”

These Shallow Graves is a Historical Crime tale set in 1890 New York, following young Jo Monfort’s journey in finding her father’s murderer.

Josephine “Jo” Montfort was from a family of old money. As a young woman of her age and cl/>/>Note:
Nouf *LostinFantasy*
I read this back in late December and I just realized I never rated it, so I decided to do that and post a quick review about it.

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

I didn't have many expectations getting into this one but I definitely did not expect it to end up being such a dear book to my heart. I haven't read it in months and it's still very memorable to me. Why?

I'll sum up the book by saying it has a gripping mystery - one with an emotional basis for the character when her father die
Carrie
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Montfort is a beautiful young woman from a wealthy family that will be expected to marry someone up to her family's standards as soon as she finishes finishing school. Jo however has always idolized the trailblazing Nellie Bly so Jo really wants to be a newspaper reporter but that is harder than it sounds in the 1890's.

When Jo receives news that her father accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun Jo immediately questions just what had really happened. Jo's father had been very famili
Maxine ❃ etherealpages
Wow. This book certainly didn't disappoint. Jennifer Donnelly is a genius, made evident by her effortlessly smooth writing style. These Shallow Graves is clearly a well-planned, carefully thought of book. Every turn of a page reveals a new mystery, a new set of questions and revelations to ponder about. I like this book, I am in serious awe of the author's sheer cleverness but the things I absolutely love about her book, the ones that hit home the most, are the hints of gender inequality she incorporated. Thi ...more
Sara (Freadom Library)
THIS WAS AMAZING! NEW FAVORITE!

I received an e-ARC of this book from Delacorte Press and Random House Children’s via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 5 out of 5 stars
Loved this! I was hooked from the moment it started and could not stop reading. It’s mysterious and suspenseful. There is so much going on and it pulls you in and keeps you engaged the whole way. The thriller part is insane and there are s/>
Puck
"You are such a child. The truth is usually inappropriate," Caroline said."That's why we avoid speaking of it."

But while the dead can't speak, they can tell us a lot of ugly truths. In These Shallow Graves we meet Josephine Montfort, a rich, upper-class girl, who lives in New York in the year 1890. She lives a comfortable but unhappy life, which gets shaking up when her father accidentally shot himself while cleaning his own gun.
Yes, that indeed smells fishy, but while the police quickly claim it w
Medini

‘Why is it, she wondered now, that boys get to do things and be things and girls only get to watch?’

The first thought that popped into my mind after I finished reading this was, WHEN A BOOK CAN MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE THIS, WHY DON’T PEOPLE READ MORE? Honestly, I spent ten minutes just pacing around, with my mind reeling, trying to gather my thoughts here. This feeling of exhilaration after reading an awesome book? I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Books such as this one

Melanie
I started reading this one last year but I somehow completely forgot about it, which now I am kicking myself because GOSH THIS WAS BRILLIANT AND WHY DID I EVER PUT IT DOWN.

These Shallow Graves is my favourite Donnelly book yet - her writing is nothing short of spectacular, her characters are full of life and contains a thrilling mystery at its core. If you love a good historical fic, I cannot recommend this one enough.
Kaethe Douglas
A nineteenth century would-be Nellie Bly is hot on uncovering a mystery, with the help of her new, disreputable friends. There is danger, skulduggery, a whole slew of bad guys, and loads of excitement up against a stultifying upper-class life. All the satisfaction of a Nancy Drew story as written by Charles Dickens.

Library copy
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Jo Montfort is part of New York's wealthy upper class, but unlike most girls of the Gilded Age she doesn't dream of getting married off into another prominent family. She wants to be a journalist and give a voice to those being unfairly oppressed.

Jo's life gets turned upside down when her father is found dead of an alleged accident. Not believing her father's death was accidental, she meets Eddie Gallagher, a young repor
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Fantastic read!! Reminded me more of the Tea Rose series which are my favorite. Highly recommend it
Zenki the Hermit
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zenki the Hermit by: Violet
A smile, Jo thought. It's something. It's a start.

What I love most about standalones is the usual open-ended finales. They make you question, creating real communication between the author's and reader's hopes and imaginations.

These Shallow Graves had EVERYTHING. And when I say everything, I mean every aspect is perfect, even the minute, unidentifiable details. The novel was stunning, consistently great all throughout. There's a delicious mix of predictability and unpredictability, calm and chaos. This book/>These
Hannah
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

First of all, thank you Random House for providing me with an ARC! Now, I really requested this book because of it's cover...yes guilty here but look at it yourself! It is simply beautiful!

THE WORLD: The story is set around 1890th, the society is divided into working class and aristocracy. The place of women in it is also divided, some try to be themselves and do something in life aka gain some specialty and aristocratic ones are there to look

• A Moment Comes
  • A Madness So Discreet
  • The Girl is Murder (The Girl is Murder, #1)
  • The Passion of Dolssa
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile
  • The Notorious Pagan Jones (Pagan Jones, #1)
  • Burn Baby Burn
  • Jepp, Who Defied the Stars
  • Brotherhood
  • Going Over
  • The Dark Between
Jennifer Donnelly is the author of twelve novels -Stepsister, Lost in a Book, These Shallow Graves, Sea Spell, Dark Tide, Rogue Wave, Deep Blue, Revolution, A Northern Light, The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and The Wild Rose - and Humble Pie, a picture book for children. She is a co-author of Fatal Throne, which explores the lives of King Henry VIII's six wives, for which she wrote the part of Anna of Cleves, Henry's fourth ...more
“That was what people did when they wanted to stop a girl from doing something—they shamed her.” 32 likes
“You, on the other hand, wish to know things. And no one can forgive a girl for that.” 28 likes