Start by marking “Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Red Riding Hood

Red Riding Hood

Mother always told Red Riding Hood not to talk to strangers. But the wolf she met on the way to Granny's was so charming and urbane. What could be the harm of telling him that she was on her way to Granny's pretty yellow house on the other side of the woods? Who could be a better escort than the big-eyed, long armed, big-toothed wolf?
Published March 1st 1993 by Puffin Books

Start your review of Red Riding Hood
Anna
Love James Marshall and his unique and wonderful illustrations. His entire series of fairy tale renditions is magic.
N_patricia Brunner
This gently humorous retelling of the classic fairytale of Little Red Riding Hood by James Marshall, combines the familiar Grimm Brothers tale with appealing engaging characters. The characters’ personalities come alive through the boldly colored detailed cartoon style watercolor and black ink line illustrations. The simple text works well with the sprinkling of subtle humorous illustrations; like the empty box of after dinner mints next to the loud snoring wolf.

The protagonist, Red Riding
Seon Kim
This is my favorite story in children's version. Children are able to learn some problem-solving skills from red riding hood. I can ask children what would they do if they encounter situation like red riding hood.
Kevin Warman
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The story of Little Red Riding Hood has been told again and again. I'll admit I liked this version mostly because of the art. My students enjoyed this too. But, I have to ask: how much of all of this is Little Red's fault? She did not follow her mother's warnings and told the wolf about her grandmother. Red nearly got everyone killed. I think a more critical look at this story is needed.
Jolene Aho
“Red Riding Hood” by James Marshall is a retelling of the traditional folktale. The illustrations and text add humor to the suspenseful tale. Red Riding Hood encounters a wolf on the way to her grandmother’s house, and is later tricked into thinking the wily wolf is her grandmother. At the end, Red Riding Hood proves she has learned a lesson about talking to strangers.
This is an example of traditional literature because it is based on the Grimm brother’s fairy tale “Little Red Cap”. It has been
KerriRowland
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
Here is a clever version of the timeless book Red Riding Hood. This book is dedicated to the age range of 4 through 8 year olds. The text is simple and contains colorful illustrations. Look how many cats are on the page with Mom making the custard! I also find it interesting that Red Riding Hood, her Mom and Grandma all look bloated or over weight, yet they are making custard and bringing it to Grandma.

As simple as the text is, it also uses vocabulary words that may leave a child unsure of its
Denise
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: trad-lit
Most of the Red Riding Hood books have the traditional theme that I have read. However, it wasn't until now that I have realized that the message in this book that can be associated with children is, when you don''t obey your parents, there is consequences. As I read this one to my preschoolers, I explained the importance of being obedient. This has truly helped me when they do something that they were told not to do. These last two weeks has been a piece of cake because no one wants to be in ...more
Melissa
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a rather humorous take on the tradition story of Little Red Riding Hood and is written for grades 3-4. Red Riding Hood's mother always told her not to walk with strangers and she decides to go against her mother's advice leading her into a very bad situation. The end of this story contains the humor alluded to above. Discussing how to turn traditional stories into humorous stories would be a great activity. Also, changing the ending of the story might be another good activity for ...more
Selwa
I was hoping for something a bit more ... different. From the original story, I mean. I was expecting a plot twist, but this is pretty much a retelling of the Grimm story. For that I'd have given it 2 stars, but man, those illustrations! I know I've said it before (in a different review) but I do adore James Marshall's style of drawing, enough to bump this up to 3 stars!
Alexis Imler
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marshall, J. (1987). Red riding hood (1st ed.). New York: Dial Books for Young Readers.

Recommended grade level: PreK-2 Ages: 4-8
Format: Traditional Literature
Themes: Folklore, fairy tales, children
Major Awards: N/A

Summary:
In the book titled, Red Riding Hood, the author creates a story that is a twist on the classic fairytale titled Little Red Riding Hood. The three main characters are Red Riding Hood who is a little girl full of optimism and her grandmother is a woman that does not like to be
AMY
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Beth Wozencraft
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found Red Riding Hood by James Marshall to be a pretty classic interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood. The girl is tasked with delivering her sick grandma food and must journey through the dark woods. While in the dark woods she makes friends with a wolf who beats her to her grandma's house. When the girl arrives the wolf pretends to be her grandma. This all seemed pretty typical of the Little Red Riding Hood story to me. However, I found that it got a little more morbid than I'm used to. ...more
Arhely
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
This is a picture book that was written and illustrated by James Marshall. It is the retelling of the classic story of Little Red Riding Hood by Grimm Brother’s tale.

Main Characters: Red Riding Hood and the Wolf

Granny is sick, so Red Riding Hood has to bring custard to granny’s house. Mother told Red Riding Hood that she should not talk to strangers, but she meets a wolf with charming manners who wants to escort Red Riding Hood to granny’s house. “And where are you going, sweet thing? He
Maria Fekaris
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
The book Red Riding Hood by James Marshall is about a young pretty girl going to deliver some baked goods to her sick Granny. Mom tells Red Riding Hood to be careful when she crosses through the dark woods and to not talk to any strangers. As Red Riding Hood travels through the woods a wolf approaches her. The wolf uses his charm to his advantage and walks with Red Riding Hood. When she is distracted, picking sunflowers, the bad wolf runs to Granny's and eats her up. When Red Riding Hood arrives ...more
Nicole
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
James Marshall's retelling and illustrations of the Brother's Grimm Little Red Riding Hood won a Parent's Choice Award. Meant for a younger crowd, K-2nd grade, this version actually sticks to the story line of the Granny and Little Red Riding Hood being eaten and the Hunter cutting them out. Some versions aimed at younger audiences have something different happening to Granny and Little Red than actually getting eaten, but Marshall sticks closer to the orignal script than most.

The illustrations
Roger Clarke
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This retelling of the classic tale of Red Riding Hood does a good job of presenting the story without any new bells and whistles. The story follow the girl in the red hood who is supposed to bring her ill grandma some treats. Like most picture books, the illustrations do a great job filling in the gaps of what is happening in the story. Also, the pictures do a great job making the story of an mischievous wolf more light-hearted and fun for the intended audience (children). Perhaps one of the ...more
Shelby Hayes
Summary: Little red riding hood goes to give her grandmother dessert because she is sick. On the way she meets a wolf who ends up going ahead of her to her grandmothers house. He ends up eating the grandmother and pretends to be her when little red riding hood gets there. He ends up eating the girl as well, at which time a hunter comes by and kills him and opens him up and lets out little red riding hood and grandma.

Evaluation: This book was a comical version of the typical Little Red Riding
Caroline Fields
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Traditional Literature- Fairy Tale
Awards:
Audience: K-3rd grade
A. Red riding hood is described as "pretty", "kind and considerate, and everybody loved her". Marshall describes the wolf as "large" and "clever" with "such charming manners". At the end of the story Red Riding Hood describes the wolf with "big eyes", "long arms" and "big teeth". The grandmother and the mother aren't distinct enough characters to be explicitly given personality traits.
B. This story is a familiar one that I've
Amy Layton
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review serves as yet another reminder as to how much I love James Marshall. His illustrations are brilliant, simplistic, humorous, and his narratives are always so funny, and witty, and genuine.Red Riding Hood easily falls into these categories. Marshall takes a humorous and somewhat light-hearted spin on this tale that's so innately sexual and foreboding, and it makes for something much more palatable for young readers less aware of the various, more mature version of Little Red Riding ...more
Meghann Sniffen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Awards the book has received (if any): none
Appropriate grade level(s): pre-k- first
Original 3-line summary: Little Red Riding Hood is about a little girl named Red who walks through the woods to her grandmas house. Along the way she meets a wolf who tries to tempt her. When she gets to her grandmas she discovers her grandma is eaten by the wolf.
Original 3-line review: Little Red Riding Hood is such a classic tale that everyone knows. However I think as times are changing, children may not enjoy
Ellon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Used this book to compare Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion as it is a more traditional tale, though still with a happy ending for Red and her grandmother.

It's a cute story. I really enjoyed how the grandmother was so into her reading. It's a little awkward to read the part about the wolf being killed to young children though (especially with the illustration of him laying on the ground). Some of the first graders started calling out that "kill" was a bad word. I've definitely read versions
Mykenna Baker
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Red riding hoods granny wasn't feeling good so her mom made her some goodies to feel better. As red riding hood is walking through the woods she comes across a charming wolf. The wolf beats her to granny's house and swallows granny whole. Once red riding hood gets there the wolfs tricks her into thinking its her granny, then gobbles her up. The hunter comes along and saves the day and red riding hood learns to never talk to strangers again. I have always been a big fan of this book because it ...more
AmandaF
Little Red Riding hood is on her way to the other side of the woods to run an errand for grandmother. Her grandmother has told her not to talk to strangers along the way, but the wolf she meets is so charming. The hungry wolf is only trying to trick her to tell him where the grandmother lives. The ending may be a surprise to readers but the moral of the story, don't talk to strangers. This book is appropriate for children of the age 4 to 8 years old.
Rebekah Yonker
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Red Riding Hood is a retelling of the classic Grimm brothers' tale. It falls under the Traditional Literature genre. I particularly like the illustrations and the last page when she puts her hand up saying no to the alligator stranger. These things add a bit of humor to the book which I think students would enjoy. The suggested age range is 4 to 8 and I would agree. It would make a great read aloud up to at least 2nd grade!
Tessa Duncan
When Little Red is walking into the forest to see Granny, the wolf decides to escort her there. But when Red stops to pick flowers, the wolf goes on to eat Granny. The wolf also eat little Red whenever she comes in, but is saved by the Hunter whenever he passes by. Very similar to the original telling.
Alyssa Ricard
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folktale, folklore
Another classic! I loved James Marshall's illustrations in this because it is so cartoon and playful. Many other retold version keep the old school illustrations and it doesn't seem as interesting. I also really liked how he made Granny a cat lady, again it was just very playful and easy to become interested.
Brooke
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grades: 1-2,3-5
Genre: Traditional- literature
This book was another one of my favorites growing up, that my parents would always read to me. The story line is very cute and humorous. The pictures are cute and would keep little readers engaged. The story keeps you on the edge of your seats. Rate 5-5
Kinley Kaelin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James Marshall did a marvelous job at retelling & illustrating this classic story. Good book to read when showing kids that their parents always know what is best for them! I enjoyed reading this & enjoyed the illustrations even more!
Terri Zumbahlen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional
The classic story right down to the wolf eating them and the huntsman cutting open the wolf to save them. A good moral on 'stranger danger' for younger children but should be followed up with modern day scenarios. Colorful graphics on every page good at enhancing the story.
Sharon
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic. This book is a good lesson for children. The book secretly tells children to listen to your parents, do not talk to strangers, and to stay on the right path. The main character does not listen to her mother's wise words and gets into trouble.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Enemy Pie
  • Fancy Nancy: Chez Nancy
  • A New Year's Reunion
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Kitten
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House
  • Geraldine
  • World of Reading LEGO Disney Princess: The Friendship Bridge (Level 2)
  • Nibbles: The Book Monster
  • Marvel: Ultimate Villains (DK Readers L2)
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I