Start by marking “Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love” as Want to Read:
Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love

Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love

Bloom isnât interested in playing in messy mud puddles with other pigs. Sheâd rather galavant among pretty flowers. Bloom LOVES flowers and other pretty things. She also likes attention. And when a beautiful butterfly, a âœflying flowerâ wafts by, she falls head over heels in love. But she soon learns that attraction is fleeting, and friendship brings a deeper, more
Published December 6th 2007 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love

Start your review of Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love
Betsy
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Love lends itself to the picture book format with remarkably variegated results. Sometimes you get a straight love story like Sara Pennypacker's Pierre In Love. Sometimes you've something a little sadder, if more honest, like Russell Hoban's, The Marzipan Pig. And sometimes you've a title that is oddly sweet like Maria Van Lieshout's, Bloom. A story of both infatuation and love, Van Lieshout presents a short, infinitely adorable book that packs a wallop with apparent ease.

Though she is urged
Jim
May 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Bloom! is one of those rare children's books that works on so many levels that adults are bound to love it, too. Maria van Lieshout has created an adorable and enduring character in Bloom, the little pig who doesn't see love when it is right in front of her snout.
Children will love this book for the simple, elegant art work and will identify with the raw emotions the main character experiences when she wants something just out of her reach. Adults will love it for the universal nature of its
Jayanne
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids at heart
What I learned from this book... pigs are fickle!
Marissa Elera
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pigs, love, flowers, wedding
I love this little book ardently.
Nicole
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute, short story about a pig who likes flowers & dancing and falls in love with a butterfly. When the butterfly flies away, bloom gets sad & another pig tries to cheer her up. I don't know if wee little ones will like the story, but older children would!
Kelly
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very, very sweet. Soft illustrations, quick read, and very child-friendly.
Gianna Marino
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gianna by: friend

The BEST Little Pig!, January 20, 2008

Bloom is one of my new favorites!
I fell instantly in love with Bloom's character. She is someone we can all relate to, as each of us has fallen in love with something in our lives. Children have fallen in love with moments in time, or pets, or their favorite snack and adults with all of the above and more!
Maria has done such a lovely job with her lite drawing lines and splotches of color. The design by Molly Leach compliments everything Maria has created.
Mary Ann
This is a cute book about a broken heart - a pig falls desperately in love with a butterfly, but ignores the pig next door.
"A flying flower! A FLYING, DANCING flower!" Bloom gasped (as she looked at the butterfly). "Come and get me, FLYING FLOWER, so I can dance in the sky with you."
But the butterfly floats away and Bloom is heartbroken. "I will never love again."
The little pig friend brings a flower, and Bloom is pulled out from her despair.

It was cute, but I just don't think that little kids
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Aw shucks -- what a sweet, small, pink book about finding love. The simplicity of the line-and-watercolor illustrations highlights their perfect expressiveness. Bloom the pig even has a Pigeon-like temper tantrum on one page that kids will enjoy, but adults, too, might find this a sweet Valentine's gift book.
Dolly
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2014, childrens, valentine
This is an odd, but entertaining story about the heartache of unrequited love and finding love when you least expect it. The story is short and complemented nicely by the colorful illustrations. And while this is not specifically a Valentine's Day story, the focus of finding love makes it a good book to read at this time of year. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this title while browsing the Valentine's Day books (already thinking about storytime in February!) . While I don't think the illustrations or size work for a story time, the text/drama/emotions in this book are really a lot of fun. Reminds me a lot of Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie, but this is a little bit sweeter. Very good book for elementary ages for Valentine's day.
Jackie
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
AWWW...love is in the air. A perfect little book about love given and taken, especially for Valentine's Day. Bloom!: A Little Book About Finding Love captures your heart in a gentle way. A must for storytime!
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Does anyone really need another unrequited love / finding true love story for children? So Bloom fell in love with the blue butterfly -- and WHAT A SURPRISE (NOT), the butterfly flew away... and WHAT A SURPRISE (NOT), her old pal turns out to be her True Love.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another sweet, simple little tale about, what else, love. Bloom, a little pig, prefers flowers to mud puddles, and falls in love with a flower that flies away (because it is really butterfly). But a friend soon gives her another chance to love again with a special present.
Malerie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
It never gets old. My kids and I always giggle when we read this together.
Acton
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bodhi
Bloom is about finding love. In this book, two pigs are trying to decide what to play. I recommend this book for first graders and up.
Tricia
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
didn't read to the girls. seems like a hallmark book? no real story. didn't care for it.
Katie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very sweet. Charming illustrations.
Allison Parker
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Son (age 6) says...
"This book was just OK because Bloom wanted the butterfly and the butterfly left."
Jill
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-n-teens
So Cute! It's a perfect description of falling in love and getting your heart broken. With a pig. And a butterfly.
Alison Strumbeck
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So cute!!! Simple paintings with a very limited color palate but so expressive. Absolutely beautiful artistically and really cute story. This is one I want in my permanent collection.
Stacie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Love story with cute pigs.
Shaun
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
Simple illustrations with a simple meaning.
Bree
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Notes:
another book adults will like but kids don't get
no substance and no real story but lots of artsy typographic pages
we did not enjoy this
Bailey
Apr 13, 2010 added it
This is a cute book about a pig that falls in love with a flower, and then has its heart broken. This is a good book to use when teaching your students about love.
Karla
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A supercute picture book about falling in love, getting your heart broken and finding love again. Simple watercolor illustrations in shades of pink.
Francesca
Feb 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Publisher's Weekly Review (Starred) 1 2 Oct 23, 2008 10:19AM

• Flora's Very Windy Day
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Beauty and the Beast: Look and Find
  • Cinderella's Dream Wedding & Tiana's Royal Wedding: 2 Books in 1 (Disney Princess)
  • Disney Princess Royal Adventures
  • Hey Grandude!
  • Macca the Alpaca
  • The Better Tree Fort
  • A Dark, Dark Cave
Maria is illustrator and author of picture books for kids.
She grew up near Amsterdam, and studied Visual Communications at George Washington University in DC.
Maria has a background in new brand innovation at The Coca-Cola Company, and lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and son.

Please visit www.vanlieshoutstudio.com for more information!