Start by marking “Supermarket Monsters: The Price of Coles and Woolworths' Dominance (Redback Quarterly #6)” as Want to Read:

Supermarket Monsters: The Price of Coles and Woolworths' Dominance

(Redback Quarterly #6)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  81 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Down, down . . .

In hardware, petrol, merchandise, liquor and above all in groceries, Coles and Woolworths now jointly rule Australia's retail landscape. On average, every man, woman and child in this country spends $100 a week across their many outlets.

What does such dominance mean for suppliers? And is it good for consumers?

In a hard-hitting Redback, journalist and author
Published June 2015 by Black Inc. Redback (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Supermarket Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supermarket Monsters

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Supermarket Monsters: The Price of Coles and Woolworths' Dominance (Redback Quarterly #6)
Anton van den Berg
If small is beautiful, big is just bloody ugly.

You cannot help but admire the scale and efficiency by which Woolies and Coles have infiltrated our lives. Dependence? Seduction? Addiction? Call it what you like, but like most addictions, it comes at a price - as this book outlines.
Fabio
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll be shopping at my local shops.
Nick Harris
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A CR2 of 70 is not healthy. The code of conduct is a rap sheet.
Caitlin
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read a precursor of this book in a longer-form essay Knox published in the Monthly magazine, and heard talks he has given about the supermarkets and their dominance in Australia – and I certainly found the book lived up to my anticipation. It’s a vital book for all Australians to read because it is so impossible to make purchasing decisions without somehow using a part of one of the “Big Two.” Likewise Brits and Americans will recognise the dominance of the huge-chain supermarkets and ...more
Oanh
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Not enlightening as such because, having paid attention to the ACCC's prosecution of Coles and having family members who farm, I was already aware of much of the terribleness of Colesworth. Nevertheless, an important and well written book.

I'm a but disappointed it doesn't end with a call to arms ( I love calls to arms!) or proffer ideas for solutions (except an unexplored legal one to which I say: nope. The law is not a vehicle for change, or at the very least is a very clumsy one.)
Sean Finn
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great read.

This is a short and important book for Australians to read. It details unethical practices by the nations favourite super markets and their affiliated companies under the respective Wesfarmers, Coles Group and Woolworths.

This gripping read packs elevated punch as it relates to you and our fellow countrymen.

It is my great pleasure to award five stars in the hope that I may influence another to be exposed to an uncomfortable reality.
Mike Bayly
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Interesting about how big business has taken over the core consumer retail industry of Australia. Very different landscape to NZ
Amanda Witt
An eyeopener into how the two major supermarket chains have slowly gained control of not just supermarkets, but hardware, with Bunnings/Masters, service stations, liquor outlets (Dan Murphys/BWS)and how they scare away or eliminate little corner shops and the competition in suburbs and country towns.
Ashleigh Eaves
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well researched and persuasive
Keira Edwards-Huolohan
This was a very interesting look into the world of Coles and Woolworths. It was very factual and logical when talking about what they've achieved and how they have achieved it.
Louise Omer
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, real-lyfe
I challenge you to read this book - you'll never think about supermarkets again.
Glenn
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only skims the surface, but insightful nonetheless.
Grace
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good for a quick read. Written to be understandable to those with no knowledge of economics.
Becc Vertigan

• The Euro: How a Common Currency Threatens the Future of Europe
  • SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome
  • A Nervous Breakdown
  • Mastery
  • And the Weak Suffer What They Must?  Europe's Crisis and America's Economic Future
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Dark Emu
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Common Sense for the 21st Century: Only Nonviolent Rebellion Can Now Stop Climate Breakdown and Social Collapse
  • How Not to Die Alone
  • Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #1)
  • Men at Work: Australia’s Parenthood Trap (Quarterly Essay #75)
  • Love, Factually: The Science of Who, How and Why We Love
  • Losing Earth: A Recent History
Malcolm Knox was born in 1966. He grew up in Sydney and studied in Sydney and Scotland, where his one-act play, POLEMARCHUS, was performed in St Andrews and Edinburgh. He has worked for the SYDNEY MORNING HERALD since 1994 and his journalism has been published in Australia, Britain, India and the West Indies.

His first novel Summerland was published to great acclaim in the UK, US, Australia and

Redback Quarterly (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Battlers and Billionaires: The Story of Inequality in Australia (Redback Quarterly #1)
  • Why We Argue About Climate Change (Redback Quarterly #2)
  • Dog Days: Australia After the Boom (Redback Quarterly #3)
  • Anzac's Long Shadow: The Cost of Our National Obsession (Redback Quarterly #4)
  • Crime & Punishment: Offenders and Victims in a Broken Justice System (Redback Quarterly #5)
  • An Economy Is Not A Society: Winners and Losers in the New Australia (Redback Quarterly #7)
  • Econobabble: How to Decode Political Spin and Economic Nonsense (Redback Quarterly #8)
  • Generation Less: How Australia is Cheating the Young (Redback Quarterly #9)
  • The Mind of the Islamic State: Milestones Along the Road to Hell (Redback Quarterly #10)
  • Losing Streak: How Tasmania Was Gamed by the Gambling Industry (Redback Quarterly #11)