Start by marking “Charlotte's Web” as Want to Read:
Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,327,142 ratings  ·  16,809 reviews
This beloved book by E. B. White, author of Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan, is a classic of children's literature that is "just about perfect." This high-quality paperback features vibrant illustrations colorized by Rosemary Wells!

Some Pig. Humble. Radiant. These are the words in Charlotte's Web, high up in Zuckerman's barn. Charlotte's spiderweb tells of her
Paperback, Full Color Edition, 184 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published October 15th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte's Web, please sign up.
Caitlyn I'd recommend The Trumpet of the Swan, also by E.B. White. It also includes animals, to be specific, swans.…moreI'd recommend The Trumpet of the Swan, also by E.B. White. It also includes animals, to be specific, swans. (less)

·  1,327,142 ratings  ·  16,809 reviews

Start your review of Charlotte's Web
Jason Koivu
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't give a fig if it is a kid's book, Charlotte's Web is one of the most well-crafted stories ever written. This classic children's tale deserves 5 stars for story craft and language usage alone! (Read your Strunk & White to understand this man's talents in that regard.) The fact that it's a heart-warmer/wrencher clinches it. Never was I made to love pigs and spiders so much in my life. Charlotte's Web will always rank high amongst my favorites. But why, for the love of god, did they ...more
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you've never read Charlotte's Web by E.B. White, you are utterly missing out on a classic Newbery Honor award winner. Go to the library now and borrow this book first published in 1952. You shouldn't buy it (unless you have children or are giving it as a present), but choose to embrace the entire experience of being a small child walking through your public library's doors, searching for an amazing book and finding yourself bringing home a tale that will make you cry and fall in love all at ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Look at me reading about spiders again.

Not exactly the same thing as Children of Time but still...

This was part of my "Reading Children Classics for the First Time as an Adult" Challenge for January and... I'm pleasantly surprised!

Cute book about friendship! I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid!
Mark Lawrence
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
'pologies to anybody following my reviews in hope of insights into epic fantasy novels - I get through more kids' stuff reading to my little girl (who is too disabled to do it for herself).

Charlotte's Web is a book I've been aware of for nearly 40 years but somehow managed to avoid reading when I was little. We picked it up at the hospice last week and read the first half, then had to buy a copy at Waterstones yesterday to finish it off (59 years in print and it's still selling for 6.99 in
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the great tear-jerkers of my long-lost childhood, the unlikely friendship between a spider and a pig makes for wonderful reading and a shared moment of love when reading it to kids. It is tender and teaches the values of constancy and integrity in a light, beautiful prose. A classic and a masterpiece.
Barbie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
Charlotte’s Web is one of my favorite childhood books. I watched it so many times and never got bored with it.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
A little pig who wants to see the first show and who wants to live instead of becoming sausages.

What impressed me the most
This little story has many important feelings and lesson. It teaches us to respect other living creatures and how to live side by side in peace. It told about
Ahmad Sharabiani
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White

Charlotte's Web is a children's novel by American author E. B. White and illustrated by Garth Williams; it was published in October 15, 1952, by Harper & Brothers. The novel tells the story of a pig named Wilbur and his friendship with a barn spider named Charlotte. When Wilbur is in danger of being slaughtered by the farmer, Charlotte writes messages praising Wilbur (such as "Some Pig") in her web in order to persuade the farmer to let him live.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش:
Dem
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My 8 years old self would have loved this book, I had been looking for an excuse to read this book for years and just realised on seeing it this week in a book shop that I didn't need an excuse to read it, I can just pick it up and indulge myself in little animal behaviour and so I enjoyed this beautiful story of a livestock pig named Wilbur and his friendship with a barn spider named Charlotte.

This book is so beautifully written and the illustrations in the copy I have just made it that much
Melki
". . . this lovely world, these precious days . . ."
Charlotte, a spider

I always get in the mood for this book when county fair season rolls around. Ah, the midway with it's dizzying rides and scary carny folk. The agriculture buildings featuring prize-winning giant produce and lovingly crafted quilts. And the yummy scents of frying dough competing with the much earthier smells emanating from the livestock tents.

It smelled of hay and it smelled of manure. It smelled of the perspiration of tired
Lola
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happy to see there's a book out there not representing spiders as being dreadful creatures. Super sweet story.
Julie
Update 6/2018: I will boldly assert here that I think this is the greatest children's book ever written, and I am embarking today on my 4th read of this classic. It is my youngest child's turn to discover the joys and sorrows of friendship and of life, as presented by one of my favorite writers, Mr. E. B. White. Rest in peace, Andy, you beautiful man.

Original review
This is quite ridiculous, that I should read this, at 42-years-old, for the third time in my life, and end up blubbering hot tears
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The book made me cry as a child. The movie made me cry and it still makes me cry! So there!!

Mel
Richard
I have been familiar with the story for most of my life, but never read it until now.

Wilbur the pig is born a runt, and the farmer decides he must face the axe. Kind-hearted little Fern intercedes and saves him. She cares for the undersized pig, who later goes to a nearby farm. Wilbur's life is nearly idyllic until he discovers the fate that has been woven for him: he will likely be the next Christmas ham. Horrified, he looks desperately for a door of escape. His pleas for help are overhead by a
Deanna
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of my favorite childhood memories is of reading this book with my mother. I remember how much I giggled at some of the funny situations and cried especially when we read it the first few times. Sobbing into my pillow with my mom rubbing my back I wondered why Charlotte had to die. My mom patiently explaining the gift Charlotte left for Wilbur. Even now I feel a bit of a lump in my throat. It was treasures like this that started my love of books and reading.

I loved it so much I don't know
Sr3yas
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.'
'You have been my friend,'
replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.”

Wilbur is some pig who is Radiant and humble. On the top of that, he could do a mean back flip like the Karate Kid.

But would you believe me if I said that this radiant pig was almost killed..... twice? This is Wilbur's remarkable journey from almost being bacon to a beacon in the community! But this is not just his Journey. It's about Fern, the little
David bernardy
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I grew up without reading this book. For some, that seems to be unimaginable. I can maybe understand why. My wife and I are reading it now, or I should say, I am reading it aloud before bed, and it's really wonderful. I could totally see why it would be a kind of life-formative book. I was reading a passage last night and laughing at it (there is so much in here that is really funny), and it made me wonder about the level of the humor. That is, would the kid me have thought this was funny or is ...more
Debbie
This is some book!

This well-known classic kids’ book is all it’s cracked up to be. Charlotte is the nicest, wisest spider you’ll ever meet. Wish I could think of sweet Charlotte the next time I see a creepy crawly spider, but I’m sure the memory of her will go right out the window and I’ll run for my life, as always!

Everyone should read this book. Well, probably every one has. But true confession here: When my teacher read the book to our class over a few weeks, my 8-year-old self daydreamed
Carol
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I now join the million's of readers who have enjoyed this great book, I realize it truly is a book for ALL ages. Loved every minute of it!
TL
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: don't remember, probly from elementary school librarian

No words I can say but this book is magical and beautiful and everyone should read it... a truly wonderful tale :) <3

Natalie Monroe
How I feel about spiders when I read Charlotte's Web:

How I feel about spiders when I see one in my house:

But I really do love this book. Charlotte A. Cavatica, you will live on my heart forever.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been listening to or reading Charlotte's Web since 1983. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Bunting, read this magical book to our class, and I can vividly remember sitting on my carpet square, entranced. Her reading that book to our class was the highlight of each day. Later that year, there was a movie in the theaters, and we went to see it as a class field trip. From my memory, everyone in class was excited about the book and the movie. This was book was that important in the lives of early ...more
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who failed English, but love books
Within 3 minutes of reviewing its Top 100 Novels Written in English List, I knew The Modern Library was irrelevant. That's because it failed to include CHARLOTTE'S WEB. I mean, I realize that children's literature is considered a joke by most intellectuals, but get serious. Anybody who reads this story and fails to recognize its greatness doesn't really like books, in my opinion.

Not only does CHARLOTTE'S WEB feature one of the most ingenious plots in all of literature, its prose is breathtaking.
Shayantani
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may sound weird but this is the first time I am reading this book. I don’t know how I missed out on it when I was a kid. Maybe it was the Famous 5 or Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew. Anyway, if I had read it as a kid I might have mustered some sympathy for Wilbur. Right now though, I am just mad. Such a whinny and annoying crybaby. Met enough people like him in real life. Poor Charlotte!

My personnel bitchy nature aside, this book was amazing. A quick read, but it makes an impact. Beautiful lessons
Fran
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was 10 almost 11 the summer I first read Charlotte's Web.

Understanding life and death, the cycle of life, is never an easy experience. Since very little we hear about death and we learn about people and things being born, the two extremes of that cycle. But learning is not understanding.

Later, we perhaps get a baby brother or sister, as it was for me, or the neighbor's cat has kittens and one of those kittens comes to live in our house, to be out four-legged companion. And we start to
Ji
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book three times and my opinion of the book has changed each time. The importance of this? Just think how complex and well written a book is if you can take different meanings from a novel at different stages of your life.

Here is a mini recap of what I thought each time I read it...

4th Grade: Poor piggy! I'm glad he found a nice spider friend. I'm so sad that Charlotte died at the end! But I still hate spiders.

8th Grade: I guess it is a really good outlook on growing up... I didn't
Ash
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop myself from crying. I literally had tears in my eyes after I finished reading it. Charlotte was such a sweetheart. And Wilbur's innocence made him look cuter.
These lines made me breakdown : "She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."
One of the best stories of friendship I have ever read.

Updated:09/28/2012

I watched the movie today and it is one of the best movies ever made. I cried like a
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Saw the movie adaptation of this classic children's book a decade ago so I'm already familiar with the story. What I like about this book is how it reminds everyone about friendship, compassion, humility, courage, respect, gratitude; and even the concept of life and death was tackled.

Young and adult readers will definitely appreciate and enjoy reading this. If you have time to read this one of a kind story, I highly recommend to squeeze it to your reading list.
Sanjay Gautam
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me almost one year to realize that I have loved this book all along.
Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book!

Friendship, love, honesty, helping hands, utilizing your talent for a greater good, never giving up, keeping hopes high, embrace what life throws at you because in the end, things are going to be wonderful and if they not, then the ending is yet to come.

I loved Charlotte's Web very much. I recommend it to people of each age group.
Theresa
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Charlotte's Web" is SOME BOOK! A childhood favorite of mine. Brings back wonderful memories for me. A classic! :)
Classroom 1 10 Dec 05, 2019 11:40AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: Charlotte's Web - *SPOILERS* 16 93 Sep 14, 2019 05:00AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: Charlotte's Web - Pre-Read 17 104 Aug 12, 2019 02:45PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Adding trnaslator credit 6 28 Jul 06, 2019 08:10AM
The Reading For P...: December Buddy Read - Charlotte's Web by E.B. White with debbicat, Malina, Greg, and Brina 22 24 Jan 17, 2019 05:06AM

• Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Giving Tree
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Matilda
  • The Polar Express
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Madeline
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Corduroy
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • The BFG
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
Elwyn Brooks White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist and author of such beloved children's classics as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. He graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and, five or six years later, joined the staff of The New Yorker magazine. He authored over seventeen books of prose and poetry and was elected to ...more
“Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.” 7442 likes
“It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.” 1265 likes