Start by marking “Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables, #2)

Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables #2)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  3,037 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
In this volume, Jack reveals the secret of his former relationship with the illustrious Snow Queen — when he took her powers and became known as Jack Frost. And in present times, he lands in Las Vegas and meets his lovely new bride, a directionless heiress. Could it possibly be "happily ever after" at last?

Collecting: Jack of Fables 6-11
Published December 21st 2007 by Titan Books Ltd (first published October 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack of Fables

Joy
Jack's snarky, break-the-fourth-wall messages at the end of each issue were honestly such blessings.

Next: Sure, my new wife is dead, but she'd want me to quickly put tragedy behind me and find a way to go on. No, seriously. She even said that once in a scene we didn't have room to show you. What's that? I'm a lying sack of what? No, I swear, lots of scenes have to be cut from these stories all the time, strictly for space considerations, but she really did say it. I promise we'll include that sc
Chad
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We learn about Jack's time as Jack Frost while he hides out from the librarians. Jack heads to Vegas with his trusty sidekick Gary who can anthropomorphize any inanimate object. Jack faces off against Lady Luck because Vegas ain't big enough for the both of them.
Cathy
More entertaining that I expected, the graphic novel format really suits this character. We'll see how well his not-all-that-lovable-of-a-rake personality holds up over quite a long series, but I'm on board for now.
Jessica Mendes
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2017
4,5

*Jack é sem dúvida uma das personagens mais divertidas e esta série permite ao leitor libertar-se um pouco do peso e do drama da saga original;
*Ao mesmo tempo, com estas aventuras vamos conhecendo mais localizações e personagens;
*É engraçado como no fim de cada história ele acaba a fugir de alguém e é nessa fuga que ele encontra a próxima aventura;
*Fiquei curiosa com a história do "Jack Frost", será que vamos ter um mini Jack Frost nas próximas histórias;
*Also tentar vender pedras mágicas que
Fizzgig76
Reprints Jack of Fables #6-11 (February 2007-July 2007). Jack and his friends have escaped from Golden Boughs and are on the run…and it’s time for Jack to tell a tale of how he for a short period became Jack Frost at the hands of the Snow Queen. Then Jack and the Pathetic Fallacy are headed to Vegas where Jack finds love only to lose it…but fortunately a big payout helps soften the pain…unfortunately, it also draws the attention of Lady Luck.

Written by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges, Jack o
Bookishrealm
Update: Here's my full review http://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot.c...

Surprisingly I actually liked this volume better than the first. Jack just ultimately seemed more human and he had a lot more realistic issues. Lady Luck is a pretty interesting and I think she's going to play a major role in the development of future volumes.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
2.5. I hate Jack. I really hate Jack. He's such a jerk. I'm not sure if I can continue this series. I gave it two volumes, and I still see zero growth in this character. Ugh.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Yep, JACK OF FABLES is not really up my alley.
It was worth a try.
FABLES and FARIEST for me all the way from Willingham.
Rebecca
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Not enough Page sisters. Really the only redeeming quality was Gary.
Jillian
Jack is a total dick who can get out of anything, and watching him squirrel his way out of everything is very amusing.
pianogal
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect city for a con man like Jack. Enjoyable. Wish they would have done more with this one.
Vasilis Giannopoulos
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This volume is much better than the first one of the series. Especially the four issue storyline of Jack in Las Vegas was a real page turner. However, Willingham and Sturges end both stories hastily, something I hope it's improved in the next books.

My review is based on my reading of the issues #6-11 that are collected in this paperback.
PurplyCookie
Following his escape, Jack met up with some other refugees (John Henry, Percos Bill and Alice of the 'Alice in Wonderland' story) in the Rocky Mountains and hid there, until he made his way to Las Vegas.

But not before regaling them with the story of how he became Jack Frost. He recounts how he met the sorceress of great power, Lumi, better known as the Snow Queen, whom "Fasbles" series know as the vindictive commander of the Emperor's personal guard.

According to Jack, she is one of four sisters
Nicola Mansfield
So, I'm still enjoying "Jack" though it is not nearly as good as "Fables". Jack is not exactly a likable character but there are times when one can't help but laugh along with him and hope he gets out the mess he's in. One thing I'm glad to have found carried over from "Fables" is the directory of characters at the beginning of the book. This helps introduce new characters and remember who old characters are especially the further you get into the series.

This time we start with Jack just after t
[Name Redacted]
Well, this one started off on a better foot. The introductory story is set in the Homelands and concerns how Lumi (the Winter/Snow Queen) became as icy and hard-hearted as we know her to be; and it features another of Willingham's reference to the songs of Jethro Tull (the song Jack sings as he approaches Lumi's castle is "Rover" from their album "Heavy Horses"). All told, I enjoyed the opening story.

The rest however? Oy. I'll admit i'm biased against anything taking place in Las Vegas (I will
Jess
Jack of Fables is a hell of a lot more fun that the original series, Fables, that he started in. In Volume 2: Jack of Hearts, after escaping from the Golden Boughs, Jack regales his fellow survivors with the story of how his affair with Lumi the Snow Queen led to him becoming the pesky Jack Frost. Jack later hightails it to Las Vegas where he gets married, comes into a fortune and, again, despite a meeting with Lady Luck herself, loses it all. But it's all told with such irreverence and spunky a ...more
Mouse
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*2.5 stars*
My library didn't have the first volume in the Jack of Fables spinoff books but I've read enough Fables books to know a bit about the character. However, after reading it I really think there needed to be a summary in the beginning as there's so many questions about this book.
Unfortunately it started out good and then just took a sharp nosedive. It was long and drawn out and mostly boring.
First off, Jack is sort of a hard character to get behind and like and in this there were less g
Anna
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Issue 6 - An awesome leeway into Jack's history as Jack Frost. This is the type of retold fairy tale that I REALLY enjoy. And the interruptions were amusing as well.

Issue 7 - Not very happy that they abandoned the Jack Frost story - what's the deal with that? But this new story is intriguing enough, and the ending gave me shivers!

Issue 8 - Wow, this issue ended with a bang! And the look on Jack's face was priceless! I'm not sure if this arc is done yet or not. If it isn't, I can't wait to see wh
Shannon
Jack is a complete douchbag. He’s a greedy, womanizing conman with no morals whatsoever. I shouldn’t like Jack at all, but he’s so entertaining that I’m able to forgive all the horrible things he does. This volume was ten times better than the first one. The adventures Jack goes on had me on the edge of my seat. After having escaped from the retirement home/prison, Jack ends up in Vegas where more craziness ensues. There was a short story where Jack tells of the time he was Jack Frost. This was ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
3 1/2 Stars

Jack continues to be incredibly unlikable except this time there are less interesting characters to distract me.

The first third of this volume was by far the best part. Jack is re-telling the story of how be became Jack Frost for a short while and it has everything to do with the Snow Queen. Personally I have been fascinated by the Snow Queen since I was a child so any story with her is a win for me. (Check out the 1957 film, it is awesome!)

Unfortunately, her personality is really exp
Jordan
Jack and company have escaped from the Golden Boughs Retirement Home, but most of his compatriots have been picked back up. Not that this is bothering Jack too much, his main reason for taking them with him was to keep them too busy to focus on him. We open with Jack still on the run, hanging out with a few stragglers he managed to meet up with. To pass the time while they wait out the searchers, Jack regales his skeptical audience with the tale of how he conned the Snow Queen out her powers for ...more
Scott Lee
This one suffers from the same problem as the last one for me, only more so. I can't get too excited about Jack as the protagonist. I guess I keep hoping that he'll become more of a Han Solo, Mat Cauthon lovable rogue with some sense of honor, but I disagree with the father in law's assessment of Jack from this volume: We've seen no proof that Jack has any honor at all. He's out entirely for himself. I suppose the montage leading up to Jack finding out that he was now the owner of a newly vast f ...more
Jeff
The fun of Jack of Fables continues in this volume. "Jack" takes all of the American folk tales and other "missing" Fables to the forefront. Full of humor, sarcastic wit, and a different viewpoint than the original Fables series. This time out, we get to see another of Jack Horner incarnations, this time as Jack Frost. We also know more as to why the Winter Queen has sided with the Adversary. The following arc takes Jack to the shiny streets of Las Vegas where a string of events bring him head t ...more
Maggie Gordon
Jack of Hearts starts where The (Nearly) Great Escape left off, with Jack and a collection of runaway fables hiding out in the mountains. To pass the time, Jack tells them all the story of how he became Jack Frost and essentially fouled up much of the Fables homeland. I sided with Goldilocks when she remained decidedly unimpressed. Jack then takes off to Las Vegas where he manages to get himself married to a rich heiress. When she is killed by the henchmen of Lady Luck, he gives the reader’s a t ...more
David Caldwell
A graphic novel collection of issues 6-11 of the Jack of Fables.

Jack is still on the run from the Golden Bough Retirement Facility.He tells the tale of how he was briefly Jack Frost(and why Lumi,the Snow Queen, turned evil)to Alice, Pecos Bill, and John Henry.Then when he encounters the Pathetic Fallacy,or Gary as he prefers,Jack decides to head to Vegas to try and get rich yet again.Naturally, the universe has its own plans for Jack and his schemes.

The artwork and stories are okay without being
Emkoshka
I always feel like I should take a shower after I've spent some time reading about Jack's misadventures, but I have to admit that this spin-off series is definitely growing on me: it's very silly but also very funny. The Jack Frost issues filled in some interesting backstory about the Snow Queen/Lumi (and dangled the tantalising carrot of the son she had with Jack) while the Jack of Hearts issues were a fun romp through Vegas. I love it that Gary (the Pathetic Fallacy) is Jack's sidekick; with h ...more
Jeff Raymond
While I like Fables, I'm still not sure about Jack of Fables as a spinoff. This one has essentially two arcs, one where Jack seduces the Queen of Winter and becomes Jack Frost, wreaking plenty of havoc, and one where Jack gets involved in a fabletastic Vegas wedding.

Okay.

I don't know. It might be the character, it might be the situations, it might just be that I've got enough Fables in my life, it might be that other comics just grab me better right now, I'm not sure.

As a limited series and bei
Meredith
Emily Green
It is really difficult to find anything to like in the Jack of Fables series. Filled with misogyny that decidedly does not reach the level of satire, we simply get the stories of a big jerk who never learns his lesson, using women and friends, partying when he can, and living off of his charm.

It is very disappointing that this awful series sprang from Fables, which did have several good years.

In this volume, Jack first finds himself trapped on a mountain, hiding from Mr. Revise with a few other
Tatiana Pérez
Second volume of the adventures of Jack Horner. It start with a short story about how Jack was Jack Frost for a while (and why Lumi is now evil) and on the second story we learn how Jack married a millionaire girl and how he lost everything again. Not as good as the previous one, but I will keep on reading Jack to learn everything about Fables.

El segundo volumen de las aventuras de Jack nos trae dos aventuras. En la primera conocemos cómo fue Jack Frost (y por qué ahora Lumi es una de las malas)
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Lucifer, Vol. 6: Mansions of the Silence
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more
More about Bill Willingham...

Jack of Fables (10 books)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (Jack of Fables, #3)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 4: Americana