Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)

Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown #15.5)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  2,453 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Solve Encyclopedia's mysteries and then try his favorite recipes. With an updated cover look!

Match wits with Encyclopedia Brown and see if you can solve these mysteries before he does, in this exciting compilation featuring Encyclopedia's favorite recipes that you can make at home!

- Figure out if Willford's painting of the Liberty Bell is a fake, then celebrate with red, w
Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake!

Jessalyn Cipriano
Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake is one of several books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. It was a cute, easy read, mystery for about ages 3rd and 4th grades. In this book Encyclopedia must solve the mystery of who is stealing all of his friends' cooking supplies. He also must solve who is the thief of the school clubs' money. Throughout the book Encyclopedia and his friends enjoy different meals while finding clues to the mysteries. The book also provides all the recipes for every meal they h ...more
Jen
Mar 27, 2009 added it
Shelves: children-s
I learned that the bullies are always guilty, and by reading the back of the book first you can feel really smart when you know just how to solve the mystery.

I loved these in first grade. I still remember taking nosefuls of their stale paper smell. These books were part of my first library experience, and I remember thinking that a library was like a church but better, because there were bean bags. I still think that, but have given up on bean bags.
Adam
May 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mysteries in this one are pretty enjoyable, the recipes are generally pretty good, and the way the two tie together is especially satisfying. To this day I'm still unable to prepare garlic bread without thinking of Bugs Meany and his crew attempting to hide their dastardly garlic bread theft by chewing copious amounts of parsley, since parsley will sweeten even a camel's breath. So how did Encylopedia finally expose their crime? SPOILER ALERT. He smelled their hands.
Morgan
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
not my favorite book.
Heather
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one was fun since each mystery was followed by a set of recipes. My son is excited to try a few of them.
Savitri
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read all of Encyclopedia Brown books. I loved them all. So clever! I wonder if I read them again if I'd be able to solve the mysteries better than I did back then.
Stephen
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Saw this in the thrift store and for 20 cents I figured it was worth that in nostalgia value alone.

I loved the Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid and read a number of them. This one however is kinda different. It's more than half cookbook.

While the recipes all seem like foods kids would like (and like to make), this is an odd combination kind of book. It's a bit like one of those knives with all the added tools and attachments, kinda neat as a novelty item and potentially useful in some unusual
Monique
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: detectives, cheesy
"They called themselves the Tigers. They should have called themselves the Pretzel Makers. They were always tried to make dough the crooked way."

FOOD!
Although, some recipes I wasn't interested in, others I really want to try out like Polvorones, Sweet and Sour Meatballs, French French Toast, Encyclopedia Brownies, etc.
Robialice
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best Encyclopedia Brown book of them all. Re-read it this weekend (picked up a 50 cent library copy for my step-son, when he's ready for it in 6 years!) and they still are clever little mysteries. You really have to pay attention to find the clues.

Plus, this one has recipes!
Annie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age range 10-100. I think this book is great it has a BUNCH of resipes to try out. My favorite mysterie is called the over stuffed piñata. Almost all the resipes feed 6 so its perfect for familys of 6.
Katherine
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Really tough mysteries to solve...
Brandy
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Alex and Brandy commute reading - this one was not as good as the earlier ones. Over half the book was recipes, not mysteries.
Sfk
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Encyclopedia is fun!!
Ms. Campbell
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the mystery part of the book, but not all the recipes. I will read another Encyclopeadia Brown books, just without recipes.
Pioden
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, classic
I absolutely loved the E.Brown books when I was a kid, I gobbled them up!
Mskychick
Placeholder for re-read of Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
Since GR erroneously won't allow me to count rereads toward my number of books read for the year
Mya
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
love these types of stories
Maureen
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story about a young detective called Encyclopedia Brown.One of the best young detective stories I have ever read.
Cruz Montesdeoca
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
this is an entertaining mystery books with odd characters with odder nick names
Star Shining Forever
Has mysteries, and recipes!
Cws
JM-Sob
Ambar C
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is geting good
Katie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A great childrens series about a younf boy detective. He solves the mysteries that go on in his town with the help of his friends and insight from his father the police officer.
David Striepe
Feb 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
While good, I thought Bugs Meany was a predictable foil in this one.
Ester
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mystery and food! What else could I possibly need?
Abraham Ray
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good mystery/cookbook!
Amanda Funnell
This book contains both brief mysteries to solve as well as recipes to be cooked.
I am using this book in a brief, 2x/week book study with third graders
Ashley
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The recipies got really annoying, but the mysteries were as fun as ever.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
How can anyone who likes a mystery not enjoy Encyclopedia Brown? I like how they put the solution @ the end so you can think and try and solve it.
Moe
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5th-grade
I learned that geese have darker meat than chicken, and there were some interesting recipes!
  • The Cereal Box Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #65)
  • Gentle Annie
  • Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.5)
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • Amelia Bedelia and Her Wacky World
  • Cousins
  • The Secret at the Seashore
  • Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
  • Detective Stories
  • Seven Kisses in a Row
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • Little Mouse on the Prairie
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
  • The Clue of the Dancing Puppet (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #39)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
  • Terms of Use