Start by marking “The Last Boy and Girl in the World” as Want to Read:
The Last Boy and Girl in the World

The Last Boy and Girl in the World

What if your town was sliding underwater and everyone was ordered to pack up and leave? How would you and your friends spend your last days together?

While the adults plan for the future, box up their possessions, and find new places to live, Keeley Hewitt and her friends decide to go out with a bang. There are parties in abandoned houses. Canoe races down Main Street. The
Published April 26th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Last Boy and Girl in the World, please sign up.
Karen Uhlich
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Karen Uhlich "I was surprised to hear that the preface of THE LAST BOY AND THE GIRL IN THE WORLD stems from a true story based in Livermore, Pennsylvania in which…more"I was surprised to hear that the preface of THE LAST BOY AND THE GIRL IN THE WORLD stems from a true story based in Livermore, Pennsylvania in which there is a whole historical society dedicated to a town that no longer exists. Vivian’s discovery of this tragedy during the 1930s was from a series of paintings that were created from a YA perspective."

I found this here: https://www.teenreads.com/blog/2016/0...
(less)

Lala BooksandLala
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really don't know why people have been rating this book so low. Our main character is a self involved teenage girl. Her dad is nuts. Her friendships are messy. Her relationship is shallow. Does this not paint a picture of authentic youth? I dig it.
Stacee
I really loved the idea of this and I was so eager to start it. Sadly, it didn't deliver.

The beginning was promising and I really liked Keeley. Until I didn't. She became such a selfish brat that I struggled to continue. I hated the choices she was making and how she was treating people. There were a few secondary characters that could have added something, but it felt like everyone was pushed aside for The Keeley Show.

My main issue was that the plot moved so slowly. I ended up skimming a lot o
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This impressed me SO much. I went into it with pretty low expectations bc I've seen people giving it not the best ratings, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved all the characters and aside from the whole 'end of the world' thing I found this all to be extremely realistic. I'll definitely pick up more from Siobhan in the future.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalones
This is by far the best book I've read by Siobhan Vivian. The writing was so textured and rich with town history and Keeley's childhood that I felt like I really knew the characters. Admittedly, the story got a little tedious in the middle, but I wasn't trying to read this book quickly, so I always came back to the book feeling excited to continue. I have no idea why I haven't hear anyone talking about this book, and I wish I had read it close to release (when I actually bought it) so I could' ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
The main character of this book is a horrible, HORRIBLE human being! She's not a murderer or anything extreme like that. She's just the type of person you wouldn't want to be friends with, date her or be related to her. She is selfish, insensitive and she's a huge brat. I thought she was going to change throughout the book but nope! She remained an a-hole.

It takes guts to write from the perspective of a self-involved little girl. Siobhan Vivian is one brave author. Too bad her decision is going
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
Oct 22, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish

I'm not going to lie, I picked this up initially because I liked the cover, then I read the description and it sold me even more. I read quite a lot of YA books but in this case, the characters were too immature for my liking.

Read fully up to the 25% mark and then skimmed through til the end, so I'm not going to rate it.

Disappointed.
Carlos
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually 3.75 stars.
This book had the potential to be a solid 4 stars book for me, but events towards the end diminished those hopes for me, without giving away spoilers.. the part that didn't make sense to me was the direction the story took in the last 50 pages.... it felt rushed, like it was just one of many alternative endings that the author chose at the end and didn't have much time to fully integrate it with the story in the firs 300 pages... That being said, the story was a classy YA sto
Melissa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2018, riveted-lit
I don’t know where to start... Losing your hometown when you’re sixteen and it’s the center of your universe must be devastating. Knowing that all the people that you knew for all your life will be gone... It’s sad. This is why I thought that Jesse and Keeley’s attitude was so great, trying to make everyone feel okay with this, or having one last fun at least. The emotions are raw, the characters are real, I enjoyed this book. I now feel a hole inside me, knowing that the book is over...
Morris
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reviews
2 stars for the main character

4 stars for the plot

I’m going to average out the stars to three on “The Last Boy and Girl in the World” because that is the only fair way to deal with what felt like two separate books.

The story itself is beautiful and haunting. The feeling of love of your hometown and the shock of losing it overnight is described very well. It also points out what can happen when greed and government corruption go up against the poor. Add to it a flawed family that is very relatabl
✨ Kaira ✨
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
•misleading title, prologue,and synopsis. I was crestfallen and a bit angry.

•characters were a okay...torn between punching them and kissing their precious feet.

•am not gonna lie, the writing style was great but ya know, am not just a fan of the plot.

•fast-paced but frustrating events in the novel.

•the romance was somehow good and awful. Good because yey, she chose the good guy but 99% of the book, she was head-over-heels to this semi-bad guy.

•would be good if the author develops the female
Amy Leigh
I didn't hate this book, but I hated the way it made me feel. I was depressed the whole time I read it. I actually thought about dnf-ing it several times but the story held enough intrigue that I didn't stop reading it. I wanted to know what happened. So curiosity got the best of me. The writing was good except for the ending. It wasn't satisfying for me. It just left me a little empty feeling. It's a good book for learning life choices and picking your friends or boyfriends when you're a early ...more
Sierra
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I live in a small, rural town on the edge of a major river. And I could see the events of this book playing out similarly where I live. The fight against turning the town into a lake would start out strong. Residents would rally and pretend that everything would go on the same as it always had, knowing it would all come to an end eventually, understanding that the battle was already lost before it had begun.

Despite that, this novel was still uplifting when it came down to it. Keeley was one of t
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
An emotional story about growing up, & moving on, & how we must live with the consequences of our choices. It features a solid, realistic friendship, with its own growing pains. A very interesting plot line kept the story moving forward, & had me anticipating what might happen next. Overall, really enjoyed this one. Since I read the ARC, I'll be curious to see what changes were made at the end for the finished copy, as stated by the author.
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
Okay but how is there running electricity and other random amenities when it continually rains bricks? My neighborhood gets sucked into darkness when a squirrel chills on a transmission tower (only slightly kidding).

So I don't know if I should rate this a 1 or 2 stars lalala.

--Full review pending.
El
If you've been following me a while, you know that I'm not a fan of a lot of young adult literature. Occasionally, however, I will pick something up because it gets a lot of chatter, someone thinks I will like it, or (as in this case with this book) it's a part of a Battle of the Books tournament I am participating in.

The premise of the book sounded interesting, but it was more interesting when I was under the impression that it was a dystopia of some sort. I suppose one could argue that a town
Selly - Leggere Romanticamente
Sul blog http://www.leggereromanticamente.com/...

Noi, gli unici al mondo è un romanzo young adult autoconclusivo dalla trama particolare, ma che a fine lettura mi ha proprio lasciata insoddisfatta.
La situazione critica in cui sono coinvolti i cittadini di Aberdeen, ben spiegata all'interno del romanzo e che riserverà anche una serie di retroscena, fa da scenario alla storia di un gruppo di liceali che ho trovato particolarmente superficiali e insulsi.
La stessa protagonista principale Keeley non
Rachel
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(SPOILER ALERT!!!)

“ . . . it’s not always clear what’s worth fighting for and what you should let become a memory.”

You know that feeling you get when you’re so into what you’re reading that you can’t put it down? That feeling of being immersed in the world an author has created and continually wanting more of it?

When I picked up The Last Boy and Girl in the World, I found that I couldn’t stop reading. I had to read it at every opportunity until I got to the very last page. It’s that addictive. T
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

The Last Boy and Girl in the World has got to be up there as one of my favourite reads of the year. This book is believable and original and the main character is realistic and relatable. It is written so incredibly well that the characters really come to life. Everything about this book is just so enjoyable!

The Last Boy and Girl in the World has a concept unlike anything I've ever read. In this book, a whole town is slowly sinking and the citizens have to evacuate. It is really interes
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I came kind of close to DNFing this one, actually. I was about 12% in, and I felt like I had been reading for hours (I hadn't been). And it was 432 pages, which is kind of long for a contemporary. Especially one about the rain. I was kind of hoping for a really epic apocalypse level water situation, but it really wasn't that at all. It was more like "Hmm, this place flooded a bit, and it
Alyssa Lynn
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WTF WAS THAT??? This is like click bait for a book. Not only did nothing interesting happen in this book but there was also zero plot development nor character development. I hated almost all of the characters, Keeley was annoying AF and I really wanted her dad to die ASAP. I think Siobhan Vivian was trying to avoid writing another cliché YA novel, but if you're not going to write a cliché YA novel then DON'T NAME IT "THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD". I feel like I've been catfishes by a book ...more
Emma Nguyen
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I probably had too much hope for this book going in.

Do you know what killed this for me? The friendship. I will always always ALWAYS choose a good friendship plot/building over romance. And the friendship in this story straight up SUCKED. By the end of this novel I had to ask myself, "Were they even friends? Like true friends???" Everything was everywhere. I didn't feel the connection between the "friends." STOP MAKING IT SEEM THAT ROMaNCE WITH A BOY IS MORE IMPORTANT. Even though Morgan calls
may ❀
30% dnf

Maybe I'll come back to this book in the future but as of right now, I cannot continue. I see the plot going absolutely no where. It just revolves around Keeley and her crush on playboy Jesse.

I was so intrigued by the whole idea of the flood thing, I mean just look at the title, "The Last Boy and Girl in the World" and so far all I've read about is how gorgeous and hilarious and fabulous Jesse is. . . don't think this one is for me.
Lisa
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2016
A story about growing up and letting go. I would have wished for less of a slower middle - the plot really dragged here but the overall message and heart ultimately shone through!
Caroline
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 3.5 stars, but since you can’t I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Overall, I really liked both the plot and time line of this book. However, the characters were very hypocritical, which was really annoying. They would all do one thing and when someone else did something just as bad they got mad. Honestly, I wish the ending situation lasted more than a few pages. Although, I did think this was really predictable, which was a little disappointing. Also, it took me a l ...more
Stacy Fetters
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You and I can be the silver lining of this super-shitty cloud."
description
Found my scuba gear and we are now on our way back to Aberdeen....
With a population of 17,00 and the home of Kurt Cobain, we have a look back at what was known as Aberdeen.
Keeley and Morgan are best friends all throughout life, their moms are the same exact way.
Morgan's dad left not that long ago and now it's just her and mom.
Keeley's parents are still together, but dad is not what he used to be, after an accident that made one o
Melissa
This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. Like, top five. I just read this description back in December and knew I had to have it. I became desperate to read it; to dive into its pages and fawn over its GORGEOUS cover.

So it goes without saying that expectations were high. And while I liked this novel, I was disappointed overall. I didn't love it.

Keeley was my favorite thing about this novel. I loved being her, and being inside her head. I feel like I say that in a lot of my review
Mari Johnston
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is honestly one of the worst books I have ever read. The story was so pointless and questions that should have been answered, weren't. Siobhan Vivian takes an incredibly long time to really tell you nothing. Rain fell, the town flooded, it was decided they wanted to turn it into a lake, everybody is a brat, and that's it. In the beginning of the story, the rain was such a big deal, and then suddenly it wasn't. It kept raining, but nobody really paid any attention to it. It was like they did ...more
Bailey
Three stars still feels generous to me, but I loved the unhappy, sorting-it-out characters and the development of the plot around the disaster rather than the disaster being the plot. As annoying as Keeley is, she's real. She makes real, dumb, teen mistakes, but in a harsher way - almost the other side of a Lara Jean coin.

That said, there were some really weird comments in this book that really skirt racism, and I'm feeling pretty bad about that.

This was fine. If you wanted to read it, go ahead
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Poshdeluxe
Cover Story: Montell Jordan
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 6
Talky Talk: Straight Up
Bonus Factors: Til The World Ends, Female Friendship
Relationship Status: Flooded With Feels

Read the full book report here.
  • The Museum of Heartbreak
  • In a Perfect World
  • Lucky Few
  • The Incident on the Bridge
  • The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • This Is the Story of You
  • Saving Red
  • Far from Fair
  • Enter Title Here
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • We Were Never Here
  • The Memory Book
  • Essential Maps for the Lost
  • Love and Other Alien Experiences
  • Eden West
  • 26 Kisses
  • The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD (April 2016), as well as THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN series with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.
“- Obviously, we're hoping that the weather forecasters are wrong, the way they tend to be about ninety-eight percent of the time

A few adults chuckled at that lameness. I remember thinking, hoping, that I would never turn into the kind of person who though weather jokes were funny.”
5 likes
“It was just my reality, to never have a boy be interested in me romantically for more than one random moment. Like a TV show you don't like but you end up watching anyway, because there's nothing else on.” 3 likes