Start by marking “Carousel” as Want to Read:
Carousel

Carousel

(Carousel #1)

Nox is an arts graduate wondering what to do with his life. Taylor and Lizzy are famous indie musicians, and Rocky works the checkouts at Target.

When they find themselves trapped in a giant shopping centre, they eat fast food, watch bad TV and wait for the mess to be sorted. But when days turn to weeks, a sense of menace grows.
Published April 22nd 2015 by Fremantle Press (first published April 1st 2015)

Start your review of Carousel
✨    jamieson   ✨
She knew it was a small space, and that me and my secrets were in there somewhere

Carousel was a very unique book to me personally - because it's set in Perth (where I live!) specifically in the Carousel shopping centre, one I've been to many a time.

So all the descriptions of whats where, and what it looks like and what they're eating or doing seemed really familiar. And since there isn't many books coming out of Perth, about Perth, that was really fun and exciting for me to read.

Inspired by
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I NEED ANSWERS!!!!
Noa Bash
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Going into this, I kind of assumed this was going to be a typical YA novel, but I was happily proved wrong. I don't really know if you can classify this as a YA novel since there was only one character below the age of eighteen. The other three characters were most likely into their mid-twenties when this book took place, but I don't remember if their ages were ever said for certain. This didn't read like YA either. It was much slower and more drawn out than any YA book I've ever read. I don't k ...more
K.
So two things:
1. I really, really liked this book.
2. This book filled me with rage and I wanted to shake the characters for being dummies.

Let's deal with #1 first. I LOVED the concept of this. Like, a dystopian story where four people (incidentally, this has been billed as YA in Australia, but I hesitate to call it that when the four characters are 26, 26, 22 and 16. So I'm going with new adult) get trapped in a shopping centre with no idea of what's going on in the outside world or why they s
Liz
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Lib Mouse
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've stayed up all night to finish a book. I took this off the shelf at work last night and stayed up til 2 am to finish it. I'm so glad I did. What an exciting debut novel from an Aussie author. I really hope this author gains some traction in the YA market - It's a tough nut to crack.

Pros - a slow burn novel that uses the premise of a global apocalypse to explore those existential questions we all seem to bump up against in our post-teenage angst.

Cons - cover. Look
Taneika
Apr 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Want to read this solely because it's set in my local shopping centre hahahah
Kerran Olson
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge
3.5/4* I've been seeing this book around for a while, and hadn't bought it because to be honest, the cover and the blurb really didn't appeal to me. (yes, I judged the book by its cover). But, after a recomendation from a lecturer and meeting Brendan Ritchie twice and hearing him talk about his writing, I finally bought the book. And I liked it! So, there's the moral of the whole "don't judge a book" mantra. At first I found the writing style pretty brief, and a bit unemotive. But once I got int ...more
DonutKnow
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
Recommended to DonutKnow by: Inky Awards Longlist
Em
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, australian
I really enjoyed this book. I've previously pondered what would happen if I were trapped in a shopping centre overnight (I know there'd be a shortage of chocolate afterwards), but this takes it further. What if I were trapped for months?

The characters were all well written and consistent, which is really important to me. I found them interesting and I liked the way Nox, the narrating character, explained things.

I liked reading about the everyday activities. They helped me understand the charact
Jayde Murphy
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. I honestly could have mistaken it for a parody if I hadn't known better. Full of plot holes, extremely flat and unrealistic characters, and ridiculously poor writing in general. I feel like I've taken a serious blow to the IQ just by reading this thing.
Kirsti
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I was oddly drawn into this story, despite the fact that not much actually happens in this book. There is just such a mundane sense of the every day, from what they watch and what they eat, that when something exciting happens you actually get excited too, but then it all comes to nothing. SO many times! Haha, I wanted to cheer so many times, only to get letdown in the next sentence.

There is a super weird ending, and nothing gets explained at all. So incredibly frustrating! But the characters we
Carolyn
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Like Brendan's excellent film of a couple of years ago, "Woody Island", this work is enigmatic and intensely atmospheric. We are just given a window into the characters' lives, actions and feelings. The lack of explanation, of resolution, enhances the power of the novel, as it did in Brendan's film. Like many sophisticated writers, Brendan often uses a non-linear narrative, with explanations of certain events given later in the text. His language is straightforward and economical, and ...more
Lisa
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The whole novel felt edgy in a sort of brilliant way. If was very different from a lot of things I have read before, which I liked. I like the way some details were omitted from the story to show that some things were emotionally tormenting for them. This thoroughly creeped me out and I may be lucky if I ever step into another shopping centre again; especially the one drawn upon for this book; it's about ten to fifteen minutes away from where I live.
Lyndall Rae
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I bought Carousel after receiving the sequel (Beyond Carousel) in a Goodreads giveaway from the author. It was a slow burn but interesting enough to keep me from putting it down.

I found the book to be a little confusing in the beginning; why were these 4 people stuck in a shopping centre and why was no one else trying to enter? The more I read, the more I liked how the author explained certain things and events after they had happened. Super mysterious, bit of suspense, and YA/NA all in one.

It
Yochabel
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was so short, I know I would have finished quicker if I wasn’t working basically every day. It was a very easy read & I was intrigued but I didn’t quite like the writing style & the fact that I’m left with so many questions.

I don’t think I enjoyed it enough to really want to read Beyond Carousel (the sequel) but I might if I can’t actually google the answers to my questions! :p
Alannah
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. There was an air of mystery about the whole situation that really had me wanting more.
Judy Nickless
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this creepy little book ! Such a random find while shelf checking at work.
I am going to have a book hangover for a day or two.
Grey Hawthrone
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Anika Claire
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. Despite its gentle pace, this story is certainly tense and very creepy. I am so glad that I have the second book to get stuck into right away, though, because that cliff hanger ending answered no questions at all!

More soon..
Kay
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
Australian by authorship, brimming with obscenities and so much darker than I was looking for for a midnight read, but oh so worth it.

Carousel is a quite different type of YA novel, and it's really the sort of thing I think everyone needs to at least try reading. It's not a long read, but that takes nothing away from how stimulating it is, nor how just outright creepy it can get for such an innocent sounding concept.

Three young people; Nox, a bit of a drop-kick who majored in arts and is now e
Kate H
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Possibly 3.5 stars

Like another reviewer, I am confused as to why this has been classed as YA. Nox, the narrator, is 22, and the indie music sisters are older than him. Rocky is the only teenager in the book and he isn't a main character. Surely this makes it fiction not YA fiction. I was disappointed with the blurb on the back of the book too. It gave the impression that this was an 'apocolypse' novel with characters trying to survive after being locked in a shopping center. Not just locked in.
Michaela
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Brendan Ritchie and M. Night Shyamalan would make great friends. This novel is written exactly like one of M. Night Shyamalan's films. A mind fuck, and Twilight Zone (black and white original) style feel.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, but if you are not a fan of the afore mentioned styles of novel and television show then this is not the book for you.

Three teenagers, a boy and two girls are brought to this empty mall called 'Carousel' and left there by a taxi. Another older boy is found later
Jude
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would give this YA book 4.5 stars. Four people are locked inside a large shopping mall and they don't seem to be able to open any of the outside doors, no matter how hard they try. It sounds like it wouldn't be too bad but they are actually locked in there for quite some time and I enjoyed reading about the routines they set up, the different relationships between the characters etc. A really enjoyable read.
Lou
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, proof-copy
I'm not really sure what I just read.

From the premise - people being trapped in a giant shopping centre with no way out - I was thinking this book was going to be set over maybe 48 hours or so, probably should have guessed from the cover that it was going to be a lot longer.

Honestly the book wasn't bad it was just a little bit slow and I don't think it really offered any proper explanations or resolutions for what was going on and what happened throughout that book.
Deb
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 rating. YA I needed more. Why and what happened and a bit more at the end.
Julie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5
A brilliant and original YA novel
Tegan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really excited by the concept of this book, and also really happy to see that it is set in my country, Australia!
What kept me enthusiastically reading this book was the mystery! Even though the majority of the book was based around their survival and adaptation to life in Carousel (which was admittedly quite bland sometimes), I just had to keep reading to find out 1). what happened to Earth and 2). why they were stuck inside this enormous shopping centre.
So having reached the end of the b
Amber Crotty
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This novel was a bit complex. The beginning was difficult to understand and the main character (written in first person), which I didn't like at all, was boring. He made me not to read anymore by how he was talking about getting out, which kinda annoyed me a lot. The other characters were okay, but one of them was a teenager and the rest of them were in there twenties, which didn't really interest me at all (love teenager drama books and teenage characters). I only got half way through the book ...more
Sue
This was a difficult read for me - the one character I liked, Rocky, was not explored enough. It's been pitched as a YA novel, but really it's "new adult", not young adult. I found this a frustrating novel to read and I am now wishing I hadn't bought the sequel - because I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS.
Two stars - and only beacause I liked Rocky. Ugh.

• A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Raelia (The Medoran Chronicles, #2)
  • Hades (Archer & Bennett, #1)
  • Loyal Creatures
  • Torn (Trylle, #2)
  • Saving Francesca
  • Saving Grace
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • Doing It: A Sex-Positive Anthology
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1)
  • Who's Afraid?  (Tommi Grayson #1)
  • The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19)
Brendan Ritchie is a writer and filmmaker from Fremantle, WA.

In 2015 he published his debut novel Carousel and was awarded a PhD in Creative Writing. Carousel has been critically acclaimed and was longlisted for the 2016 Gold Inky Awards. The sequel, Beyond Carousel, is now available.

In addition to writing, Brendan spends his time lecturing across a range of creative disciplines.

Carousel (2 books)