Start by marking “The Pursuit (Sherring Cross #3)” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit (Sherring Cross #3)

The Pursuit

(Sherring Cross #3)

What was to be a grand adventure for Melissa MacGregor - an escape from the wilds of her Scottish home into the whirl of the London social scene - seems to pale before the promise in the passionate gaze of Lincoln Ross Burnett. Though they exchange but a few words before parting after a chance encounter on her grandfather's lands, Melissa instantly knows this bold stranger ...more
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2002)

Start your review of The Pursuit (Sherring Cross #3)
Missy
The plot doesn't focus too much on the romance of the H/h since they fell in love at first sight. The title is quite apt. The book is about the H trying to court/pursue the heroine, but obstacles, like 16 overprotective uncles, get in the way. It was an okay read but probably not a book I would reread.
Ivana Azap Feješ
When Melissa MacGregor and Lincoln Ross Burnett met they knew they were distined to be together. When Lincoln found out Melissa was having a season in London he was quite happy with the idea because he was to be a chaperone to his cousin for the season and he was sure they would meet pretty fast at one of the venues - but it didn't quite happen that way as Melissa was being sponsored by a Duchess and was moving in different circles to Lincoln. When they did eventually manage to meet they were qu ...more
Christine
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Even on a brainless level, this was bad. Mostly, I was just so bored. The tension was pitifully weak, and completely hinged on external forces.

Let me back up and give you a brief overview: Lincoln falls in love with Melissa at first sight, and visa versa. The trouble is she has 16 uncles who don't like him because of something he did when he was 10. It was largely a misunderstanding, but they think he's crazy because he wouldn't stop fighting him even when he was beaten to a bloody pulp. No one
Aly is so frigging bored
The one book I liked the least from Ms Lindsey
Chitra *CJ*
"The Pursuit" is the story of Melissa and Lincoln.

One of the sweetest and funniest historicals out there!

Meet Melissa MacGregor, the only daughter to Kimberly and Lachlan and the apple of their eye. She reaches majority, and one afternoon near her lake meets Lincoln Ross Burnett, and they both lose their hearts to each other.
So it is love at first sight, the parents agree, what might be the problem you ask? Well, Kimberly's mother has 17 stepbrothers- the deadly MacFearsons, they all hate Linco
Tiera McMillian
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march2020
*Reread Review*
I'm going to say 4.5-5 stars just because I still like the first book in this series the best.. but this one is a very close 2nd lol. The story of this one is amazing with all the events adding up to now. I love the MMC, Lincoln, in this book. I feel like he is the perfect MMC for this story. Honestly we spend most of the story in Lincoln's POV so I feel a lot closer to him than I did the FMC, Melissa. This is actually pretty rare in a Johanna Lindsey book. I actually can't think
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Lincoln Burnett is on a trip back to his homeland of Scotland. While on a ride, (also as an effort to avoid his mother), he encounters Melissa MacGregor by a pond. She is in the company of what Lincoln thinks is her husband and their two children. Once he finds out that the man is her uncle and the children are his, that switched his game plan to "ON". He found her a bit forward and incredibly attractive.

Melissa is equally attracted to Lincoln and since she is due to have her season in London, s
Judy
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonel
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wildly intriguing novel. Lindsey took us for a number of spins. I couldn’t even start to guess where it was going to end at any point in time. It was suspenseful, but without the usual danger accompanying that suspense. The solid storyline definitely sparked my interest throughout and kept me on my toes.

The main characters in this novel were quite unique. I don’t think I’ve ever seen quite this approach in a historical romance. I loved getting to know them so well. Their histories add
Sha Mslvoe
I was thrilled at the thought of reading more about The Macgregor's after Love Me forever.

I truly enjoyed the previous two and was all set to enjoy this one, but I simply could not get into it. There was just not enough interaction between Melissa and Lincoln.

There is huge bad review for this novel. I did admit, all the attention seemed to be focused on her 16 uncles.
But I do loved Johanna Lindsey. This novel not her best but not her worst, either.
Michelle Williamson
As soon as I finish a JL book I ask myself the same question, "why did I ley myself read that?" Just another cliché Johanna Lindsey writing. The characters were forced, the story plot dragged on and on, and more than once I skimmed the filler writing and went straight to the dialogue. 400 pages read and I am more than happy to lay this book to rest.
Elizabeth
The Pursuit is the first Johanna Lindsey book I've read (and of course it's third in a trilogy), and it definitely surpassed expectations. I was initially wary, although I am not sure why, but I ended up having a lot of fun reading this.

The Pursuit was a light and fluffy read, with some interesting twists and turns to keep it going. The characters were cute. The story was cute. It made for a pleasant change of pace to have characters that liked each other right away, rather than ones who were at
Wendy
I am really surprised but this story just didn't grab my attention. I was really disappointed because there had never been a Johanna Lindsey book I haven't loved. The relationship between the two characters just seemed to fast I mean way to fast even for a Johanna Lindsey historical romance, and the whole he may turn crazy again just didn't work for me. I am giving it 2.5 stars which is upsetting because as I said Johanna Lindsey's romances are always usually 4.0 to 4.5 star reads for me.
Sandra
Jul 12, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't like this one. The Hero, Lincoln, whilst visiting his former home in Scotland, comes across the heroine, Melissa, who is with some of her family, and without knowing her at all starts thinking how to set her up in a cottage as his mistress.

He mentions her to his family in passing later that day and they immediately start planning their wedding. So he decides to go find her and propose. It's just plain silly.

Then comes all the angst of 19 years (the time he's been away from Scotland
Katherine Bone
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh! Audio books you complete me! Returning to my romance roots, I selected Johanna Lindsey's book, The Pursuit, narrated by Michael Page. Och, the brogue!!! Nearly 20 Scottish men trying to protect their niece! Alpha mania, me hearties!!! Who could ask for more? Let me tell you, Ms. Lindsey's stories resonate with me so much. Hero Lincoln's past holds him tighter than the tightest ship's knot. Heroine Melissa knows what she wants and will stop at nothing to get it, even though her uncles hold a ...more
Amy
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was actually my second time thru this story, but Johanna Lindsey writes such good ones, its hard to take a break, the 2nd time thru as well.
She always makes such enjoyable Scottsmen. They are charming to follow along.
Ages ago, I read the story that brought Melanie's parents together, and now I'm following their daughter. It would be good to read about Kimberly's brothers and how they fair with romance and marriage.
It was a shame Linc had to wait so long to get the approval of Lachl
phoebess
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I consider myself a person who can read anything from Johanna Lindsey and be absolutely happy but this book... This book was so frustratingly annoying!
The whole story was based on one crazy situation that happened 19 years ago. The characters brought it up again and again, used it as the most stupidest reason to stop relationship between Lincoln and Melissa. And when I thought the only one sane person, Lachlan, would put an end to this insanity after his arrival, I was proved otherwise, because
Tealen
Nov 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-romance
Not her best work. It was too forced to get all the characters into this sequel. I enjoyed the first two in this series much much better.
Ruth
cute fun read - refreshing change of pace H/H meet early and fall in love - its not the big misunderstanding but external influences they have to overcome.
Victoria
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars
Anne Marie
Julie Eichelberger-Ford
The Pursuit is the third in the series but can be read as a stand alone story. This is a story of love or attraction at first sight but with a twist of the past coming back to bite you. Melissa is an only child of the MacGregor but has several uncles who tend to interfere in her pursuit of a husband. Now she is going to London to find a husband, but prior to leaving she meets Lincoln Ross Burnett. Although instantly smitten, she agrees to still go to London hoping to continue her courtship with ...more
Dawn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
What was to be a grand adventure for Melissa MacGregor— an escape from the wilds of her Scottish home into the whirl of the London social scene—seems to pale before the promise in the passionate gaze of Lincoln Ross Burnett. Though they exchange but a few words before parting after a chance encounter on her grandfather’s lands, Melissa instantly knows this bold stranger is her destiny, while Lincoln realizes his heart has been claimed forever and he will never be complete until Melissa MacGregor ...more
Kimberly
Pulled this off of my shelf of favorites to read again after many, many years. Not as great as I remembered, but some books are better at different times. I used to read lots of these types of romances, but don’t really have the patience anymore for all the misunderstandings and the tedious roadblocks in the way of true love. It was good enough to finish, but no longer has keeper status on my bookshelf. That being said, I also have the second book in the series on my bookshelf so I’ll probably r ...more
Ireland
The 'conflict' in this story is ridiculous, which drives the plot, so you have to just go 'ok, I'm going on this ride for the entertainment not the content'. And the entertainment value is high, as most Johanna Lindsey books are. The main characters are likable. I hope the 16 uncles each get a book of their own, they are very entertaining, and a few need 'taming and grooming' by the right bonny lass.
Theresa
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if this book should be part of Sherring Cross series. The first two the lovers had conflicts then passion which made them have some humor to them. This book is a love at first sight and conflict with cousins that was 19 years previous, but talked about for 2/3 of book. Debated about giving 1 star.
Pravana
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book. What an absolutely wonderfully written book.
My heart went out for the hero Lincoln. I've never felt so much sympathy for a hero before. I've cried each and every time a piece of Lincoln's past was revealed.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: C-

389 pages and there was little character development, no reason to care about the relationship between the main characters, no fun witty banter, no romance either! Skip this lackluster story and find one of stories that put Lindsey at the top of the romance list!
Julie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
. Great historical romance

I always hate for a series to end but I truly enjoyed this book. Loved that all the characters from previous books were incorporated in. Loves almost everything Johanna Lindsey writes. Great historical romance.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Key
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)
  • Night Shadow (Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Only With Your Love (Vallerands, #2)
  • The Bachelor (Duke Dynasty, #2)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Major's Faux Fiancee (The Dukes of War, #4)
  • The Magnificent Rogue
  • An Unwilling Conquest  (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)
  • The Beast of Aros Castle (Highland Isles, #1)
  • Always
  • The Husband Hunt (Madison Sisters, #3)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Deed (Deed, #1)
  • The Brat
  • Rebellious Desire
  • Sweet Revenge
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom

Sherring Cross (3 books)
  • Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1)
  • Love Me Forever (Sherring Cross, #2)