Start by marking “Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Ten beloved fairy tales, given new life by the one and only Angela Carter

Many classic fairy tale characters might not have survived into the present were it not for Charles Perrault, a seventeenth-century French civil servant who rescued them from the oral tradition and committed them to paper. Three centuries later, Angela Carter, widely regarded as one of England’s most
Published May 27th 2008 by Penguin Classics

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault

Lauren Slanker
While we certainly need to understand that Little Red Riding Hood was written in a much earlier time and therefore may not match today's quality standards for a story, I do not think that this version is one I would share with my students. In the story, the girl meets a wolf in the woods and he tricks her into challenge that he knows he will win. The story does not have the happy ending of many modern tales, and the wolf ends up eating both the grandmother and the girl.

While I do not have an
Lindsay
This slim volume caught my eye because the author listed on the cover is Angela Carter. I didn't read the synopsis on the back really...other than that she adapted Perrault's fairy tales. Being relatively familiar with Carter's other work, I was hoping for more scintillating and perverse adaptations, but these seemed pretty much run-of-the-mill to me. In that respect, this was just OK. However, there were a few of the fairy tales with which I was not familiar, so that was nice to add to the ol' ...more
Tony
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD, CINDERELLA AND OTHER CLASSIC FAIRY TALES. (1697), Charles Perrault. ****.
Charles Perrault (1628-1703) was a seventeenth century French civil servant who wrote these tales down as he rescued them from oral tradition. If it were not for his writing, many of the stories would either have been lost, or, ultimately passed on in a very different form. There are ten stories included in this collection, many of them familiar, some of the not:
• Little Red Riding Hood
• Bluebeard
Ch_jank-caporale
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
In 1976, Angela Carter was commissioned to translate Perrault's "Histoires ou contes du temps passe avec des moralites" (1697). It changed her, and she changed the way we read his tales. This collection, with an introduction by Jack Zipes and an afterward contextualizing the tales by Carter, includes the ten tales of that original venture. Angela Carter bacame a Perrault for our time- she collected folktales from around the world, translated them for a modern audience with lush language and thou ...more
Corrina
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This kinda disappointed me. Not because it isn't good, it really is. But I just love Angela Carter so much and I was expecting more of her unusual descriptive writing and haunting imagery. Instead, these are very straightforward interpretations of Perrault. It's interesting to see that Sleeping Beauty had a whole "third act," and holy shit, in "Hop o'My Thumb" seven girls get their throats slashed BY THE HERO, and WE ARE SUPPOSED TO CHEER.

Note: I will NEVER get tired of Puss in Boots.
Chris
This edition includes a good introduction by Jack Zipes that looks at how Carter's translation influences her and how she changes the morals at the end of the stories. If you loved Carters The Bloody Chamber then you have to read this to see how she was influenced by Perrault.
Pamster
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Awesome. Nice intro from Jack Zipes situating Angela Carter's translation. I would've loved a larger volume with more critical essays on both Carter and Perrault.
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Not quite what I was expecting but still quite useful
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Truly a classic. The source/inspiration for much of Carter's later work.
Estivan
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Coleção de contos muito bem escolhida. Definitivamente não é para crianças.
Kilana Brammer
  • Selected Tales
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre
  • The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales
  • White Stains - Anaïs Nin & Friends (Delectus Classics of Erotic Literature)
  • The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov
Born Angela Olive Stalker in Eastbourne, in 1940, Carter was evacuated as a child to live in Yorkshire with her maternal grandmother. As a teenager she battled anorexia. She began work as a journalist on the Croydon Advertiser, following in the footsteps of her father. Carter attended the University of Bristol where she studied English literature.

She married twice, first in 1960 to Paul Carter. Th
More about Angela Carter...