Start by marking “Whispers of the Bayou” as Want to Read:

Whispers of the Bayou

From the author of the popular Million Dollar Mysteries and Smart Chick Mysteries comes a new stand-alone novel full of hidden staircases, buried secrets, and the promise of hope found in knowing God.

Miranda Miller wasn't looking for the news the day the letter came. But, trying to survive in troubled circumstances, she welcomes the chance to change her location for a peri
Published January 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Whispers of the Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers of the Bayou

Start your review of Whispers of the Bayou
Amy
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked the cover of this book with the cool mansion in the background and the swamp, too...however, that is not what inspired me to read Whispers of the Bayou...actually, a couple of ladies in my neighborhood had read it and passed it along to me with good recommendations. The basic story here was that a woman with a husband and young child up in New York find out she has an extended family down in Louisiana. Also, she has an inheritance...a huge mansion (maybe the one on the cover) and propert ...more
pink (not just another shade of red)

"I turned to take it all in...the incredible beauty of the green earth, the moss-laden trees, and the black, life-giving water of the bayou. The water that flowed through my veins."
-page 337

Miranda Fairmont Miller goes back for the first time to her birth place, Louisiana Bayou country, to grant the wish of a dying man and to claim her rightful inheritance. By doing so, questions- question that she tried to bury for 27 years- resurfaced: the tattoo on her scalp, the tragedy that had sent her awa
Jeanne Adamek
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed MOST of the story. The mysteries that Miranda had to find out were fascinating, riveting. Coming to around the last quarter of book, everything came crashing down. There were a few problems... The biggest one, for me, was the feeling that the author wanted the story finished and the conclusion came out rushed and the easiest way possible. I didn't find this satisfying at all.

Most of the story 4.5 stars.
The last part of the story 1.5 stars.
Shantelle

Super intriguing! I don't usually like suspense/thrillers, but Whispers of the Bayou was such a rich, emotional blend of mystery, family ties, faith, and history that I couldn't help but be swept away by it! It got a little dark at times, but ended with such hope. And now I long to visit the bayou and the "deep south". *smiles*
Kav
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's an exciting Gothic vibe to this compelling mystery. Love the 'exotic' (to me) setting of the Louisiana Bayou and the Cajun culture. And there's something so spine tingling about a neglected antebellum estate -- a house full of family secrets and Miranda is plunked down in the middle of it all.

Danger lurks in unexpected corners as she struggles to put the pieces of a fractured puzzle together -- and in the process come to grips with a family history she knew nothing about. In fact, Mirand
TIFFANY
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
The first couple chapters really grabbed me and I was in great suspense that I just wanted to keep on reading...then about half way through the suspense part of it kinda died for me...I just couldn't finish it.
Lady Delacour
This is the type of story
where you buckle up and
just go along for the ride.
2.5 Ok Stars.
Listened with TTS.
100% Clean.
Joleen
By Mindy Starns Clark
Era: Present Day
Location(s): NYC in the beginning, but mostly in a small Cajun town in the bayous of Louisiana
Type of story: Christian Mystery
Main character: Miranda Fairmont Miller, art restorer and now heir to the Fairmont estate in Louisiana

Well, this was a fascinating book. It started off with a family disconnect. Miranda half no idea why she wasn’t able to connect with anyone on a normal level, including her own husband and daughter. Well...there w
Jessica
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely FANTASTIC book!! This was the first book I had read by this author and could not put it down. Yesterday I searched Borders for more books by Mindy Starns Clark, unfortunately to no avail (although I'm certain they must be there). I cannot wait to buy and read her Smart Chick Mystery Series. Had six stars been available, I'd have given this book SIX stars! Great read, intriguing from the word go.
Carmussel
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Nancy Drew meets Da Vinci Code meets Guideposts. While the premise was okay, the religious conversions at the end seemed rather forced. Did enjoy the Acadien history.
Sarah Coller
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I've had this on my TBR shelf for awhile because every time I picked it up and read the back, I was turned off by what seemed like another canned, melodramatic chick lit story. I finally decided to read it a couple days ago and I was right. However, from the very beginning it was obvious there was a mystery and I was sucked in. It also helped that, as a French-Canadian descendant, I've always been intrigued by the Cajun people, even though my own people migrated to New England and not Louisiana. ...more
Loraine
Miranda Miller wasn’t looking for the news the day the letter came. But, trying to survive in troubled circumstances, she welcomes the chance to change her location for a period of time. The letter informs her that her grandparents’ estate is finally about to become hers. She immediately heads down to Louisiana and the old house by the bayou. There Miranda finds secrets that lead to life–changing revelations.

This suspense-filled novel is steeped in Cajun folklore, legend, and mystery. I thought
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whispers of the Bayou has more twists and turns than a rollercoaster. Filled with murder, buried secrets, hidden rooms, and obscure messages, it's one of the best mysteries I've read. From Manhattan to a mist-shrouded bayou with Spanish moss hanging from the trees, the setting couldn't be more diametrical. I love a book when the setting becomes a character in itself.

Miranda's catapulted into her journey by an attack. When she tells her aunt, who raised her, about it, she reveals some of Miranda
Shary
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my first mystery. I loved it. It wasn't nail bitting or scary. It was well written and had alot of religion in it. The end was very unpredicidable. There were alot of twists in the book that you never saw comming. I always had my thoughts of who it could of been but I was thrown every time. The story line is a simple one. It is about a women who at the age of five her mother died and she moved to New York to live with her Aunt. She dosen't remember anything from the age of six and under ...more
Nancy
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
3.5 - Read for my in-person book group. Quite a good little mystery. Several scenarios possible for the ending. I was propelled along by my own curiosity. Somewhat stock characters, twisting plot and a dash of evangelism thrown in on the side. Yes you read that correctly. Took me by surprise. I was surprised there wasn't more. There was SO little it felt out of place and disingenuous. Commit to it if you're gonna go there and prepare me as a reader that this is part of your intent with the book.
Sally Lindsay-briggs
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at a library sale and it was a great buy. The author was a new one for me and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. It was set near the bayous of Louisiana. There is an antebellum mansion that Miranda is due to inherit and relatives she's never met. There is a dying caretaker with a precious secret and people who are being very aggressive. Lots of action, and even a lovely Christian experience for two people. You will want to experience this novel.
Melissa
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! Compelling mystery that kept me spellbound throughout. Several surprises along the way and a satisfying ending. One for my keeper shelf!
Ann
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great suspense/mystery! Kept me guessing until the last page. :)
Morgan Tarpley Smith
What an incredible novel! I’m just sorry I hadn’t read it sooner especially since it’s set in my home state of Louisiana. This kept me guessing until the very end!
Simone
Another great book by Mindy Starns Clark!!! I can absolutely recommend this one! Christian fiction, but not shoving gospel down anyone's throat. I love it!
Joyce
Very busy plot with woman who has no memory of her early years, having been taken from Louisiana after her mother died (in fact, killed herself) and raised by her aunt, her mother’s sister. She’s called back to the family estate when the caretaker is on his death bed and demands to speak with her. There she discovers a host of family secrets and a more dangerous, carefully kept secret related to Acadians’ deportation from Canada and resettlement in Louisiana. The story moves at an easy pace; lar ...more
Lorrie | books.and.darjeeling
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 ⭐️

A cozy mystery filled with family secrets, a forgotten childhood, suspense and danger, suspicious deaths, love, forgiveness, and restoration.

There were places in this book that seemed a little wordy and parts that would get off track. But it was a good light mystery and kept me guessing to the end. I enjoyed it.

This book does contain Christian content.
Barbara
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had so much to keep a reader interested: an ancient symbol and a mysterious oath, a forgotten past, murder, betrayal, and newly discovered, life-changing faith. It had some plot twists and surprises, too.
Kristy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I just loved Whispers of the Bayou! Mindy Starns Clark has written a brilliant story, complete with suspense, mystery, emotion, plot twists and a dash of historical fiction thrown in. I definitely didn't see some of the twists in the plot coming!

The main character, Miranda, has a dark past. So dark in fact that she herself has erased it from her memory. Although her memories are forgotten, you can see the effect her past has had on her current emotionally detached state. As she faces her past, h
Summer McGarity
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this book in the library one day. Just happened to find it when casually browsing through the aisles and aisles of books. The word "Bayou" stood out at me so that's what made me pick up the book. I love books set in the South so I thought I'd give this one a try. Boy, am I glad I did. I must say, it was one of the best books I have read in a while! There are so many twists in the story so it always had me on my toes. It's a book that you'll read and never want it to end!

In my op
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Miranda is plunged into the secrets of her past when the caretaker of her grandparent's estate summons her to his deathbed. What secrets does he know? And what do her own memories mean? After an opening that grabbed me, I found parts of the story slow. Still, it was a ride well worth taking.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Bridget Vollmer
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The storyline with all the twists and turns was great! I'd give it a 5 as I was completely shocked by the ending. I give 3 stars to the whole born again Christian thing. It was a little much. The Book would have been much better without the Christian theme but I didn't know the author was a Christian when I picked up the book.
Rosemary
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love this author's books because they are suspensful, but clean. She writes from a Christian perspective, but I don't find it preachy (as some Christian authors can be). This was fun to read because it was set in Louisiana and mentions Houma, LA, where my niece and her family live.
Julie Surface
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really a fascinating book of life along the Bayou in Louisiana. I loved the way Mindy Starns Clark tied in the story of the Acadians (from Longfellow's Evangeline) with the Cajuns of modern Louisiana. The story is compelling, moving quickly, and has a most satisfying ending. I recommend this book!
Gina
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)
  • The Curse of Misty Wayfair
  • The Knight and the Dove (Kensington Chronicles, #4)
  • The Proposal (The English Garden, #1)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Missing Mercy (Ironwood Plantation Family #3)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • Bamboo & Lace
  • Miss Serena's Secret (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #2)
  • Losing Lincoln (The Liberator Series #2)
  • The Making of Mrs. Hale (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #3)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • When God Reigns: A Study in the Parables of Jesus
  • If These Walls Could Talk (Joe Boyd Suspense Series Book 1)
  • Sophie's Heart
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • A Plain Leaving (The Sisters of Lancaster County #1)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

News & Interviews

“Mothers-in-law know all sorts of things that husbands are too stupid to figure out.” 1 likes