Start by marking “From Tryst to Tendulkar: The History of Independent India” as Want to Read:
From Tryst to Tendulkar: The History of Independent India

Read Book

From Tryst to Tendulkar: The History of Independent India

Journey through India's contemporary history - from the time of independence in 1947 to 2014. It covers a range of items from the political integration of India to the making of Indian constitution, the history of Indian sports, economy, movies, science, among other topics.

Through this exciting train journey we will meet the various historic characters - Nehru, Patel, Amb
Published December 25th 2014

Start your review of From Tryst to Tendulkar: The History of Independent India
Alok
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: india
2.5 Stars, to be precise.

I have known the author from Quora. Having virtually seen the book being written and finally having read the same, it's a very decent attempt for a first time author, especially when the subject is penning down the history of an enormously complex and colorful polity like India.

The approach taken by Balaji is a fresh one and does not overwhelm the reader with unnecessary facts and figures. The takes on events and people involved, are sharp and succinct. What impressed me
Eivind
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't get trough this one so the star and review is based on the first 40% of the book.

It's possible that this is a decent book about Indian history; if you already have a lot of background-info. But for me it ended up as a long list of events dates and locations, with insufficient attempt at putting it all into a context; thus I ended up feeling as I learnt nothing beyond a list of disjointed events and facts.

I had hoped to learn about the big lines; but don't feel that I'm any closer to t
Divya Kunapareddy
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: A Common Man
"It charts the beginning of a new notion, if you have a very limited and an even narrower view of the Independent India's history."

Almost all the books related to history are expected to be bulky, but the number ‘250’ (pages)attracted me to start the book. And I bet, you'll re-read it.

I had started reading and I don’t know what made me to sit. Don’t forget that the major stress is on Independent India’s history. I’m the one who used to get bored of history very easily and he was able to make me
Aravinda Chinnadurai
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am lucky to have so much free time this winter that I read the complete book page by page in two phases inside 24 hrs. For a long time I have been following  Balaji Viswanathan and it won't be an exaggeration to say that he shaped my thinking in many important issues in some way or the other.

So now I would like to take myself a critic role to someone who had a huge impact on me.I took it as a challenge.

I will give my review to all the content chapter wise from a civil service aspirant point
Priyanka Peeramsetty
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
" If history books gave you nausea so far, From Tryst To Tendulkar shall give you goosebumps. "

My reading experience with Post-independent Indian history is pretty moderate - Bipin Chandra, Ramachandra Guha, Gurucharan Das, bits of Romila Thapar and the visual experience includes a few documentaries. Having understood most of the evolution, I was wondering what unique stuff this book is going to offer. I was proved wrong after dwelling enough into the book’s initial chapters itself.

It was nice
Sujoy De
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know the guy from his Quora fame. It is quite unbelievable that he knows so much about the country at such a young age.
When you want to read about the history of the country then the general expectation is that you would have to go through 800 or more number of pages but this guy has done the same in less than half the number of pages. He does not seem to have missed out on anything important.
He has also produced his views in the book in a rather easy to understand way. In one chapter, he high
Tanmay.
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a motley of the articles posted on quora (question and answer forum) by the author. Read it if you want an extremely concise yet exhaustive and mostly clutter-free summary of everything that made and makes the post-independence India.The length, breadth and the depth of the Author's knowledge are peerless.
I loved it. One can't help but compare it with the History, inundated with redundancy, that we were taught in school.

A very enjoying read. He is an author to look forward to.
Satish
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I am an admirer of Balaji. I followed him on quora and learnt a lot. I don't understand why he is receiving a lot of flak for this book. I guess it is because of his political ideology.

The book was decent, I knew a lot of things before reading this book, but there were few things which I came to know.

I believe he should have titled the book differently as many do not know who tendulkar is and since he is followed heavily by non-Indians, this could have been an issue as well.

Over all a
Vamsi
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-history
If you rewind history in a tape recorder and then fast forward it with 100 times the speed,you will see too many dates/numbers and a lot of significant events passing too fast and in no time you are the present. This is exactly how you will feel after reading this book.

The book starts from the Rise of Ottoman empire in 1493 which triggered the Europeans to find alternate trading sea routes to India to bypass the land route controlled by the Ottoman turks. From here, we race to the 1857 mutiny by
Abinav
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a very good summary of Indian growth, fall and dwell periods since Independence period. Being a follower of Mr.Balaji's writing I found it enchanting and hard to put my mobile down(Kindle version). It could be an introductory textbook on history and achievements of Indian Subcontinent. Indian Historians have given a text which is hard to start cultivating interest on.

The introduction of the book where tendulkar's career is juxtaposed with various situations in country namely the opening of
Abhijeet Jain
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Balaji since long & I absolutely love the simplicity with which he could explain important issues related to history.

The book seems more like a collection of his Quora answers. Sometimes it feels the guy is hoping from one issue to another lacking continuity, it could have been done in much better way .

Everyone should read this book, it would change your views about India.

The book is written in 2014 & I hope to see a revised edition of this book soon.
Rajendra Ch
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this book after following the author Balaji Viswansdhan on Quora.com for a while.

It is good read for an novice read who doesn't know the history of independent India, the book takes you from 1900-2014 discussing the most important times . I would say the book was fairly okay for a first time writer, and there is a lot of research went in.
Manish Tripathi
Mar 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is collection of events and dates. It's also about preconceived notions about India. Wasted my time, couldn't make through the full book.
Aviral Goel
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book. The author has neatly organized the key events of the post independent India. Makes you wonder how far we have come as a nation.
Pratyush Singh
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
If 0 –5 compare with poor to outstanding then I will give this book a 3.5 –something between good and very good. This was my first "out of coursework" history book and the experience was enlightening. Summarized analysis –

Good amount of research done. All major events in modern Indian history covered.
Some minor mistakes here and there. Typing errors, which are not good for any book.
The book falters sometimes while choosing the amount of weight some details deserve. While some unnecessary details
Ishaan Sood
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The book requires some preconditioning of mind. Firstly, the reader must have a general, overall idea of all the events from independence to current times. In my case, Guha’s “India after Gandhi” proved useful. Also, his mind should be open to right wing capitalist viewpoint; a challenging task given the deeply ingrained socialist psyche we have inherited from our founding fathers, who saw imperialism as an offshoot of capitalism. The author's answers on social website quora (major chunk, me inc ...more
Parul Maheshwari
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a right combination of information and inspiration for a young Indian. I was impressed by how it covers so many domains and gives us a brief story of how we got where we got, what we lost in this process and what we've gained. I like the author's positive tone on most things. The first few chapters included some brand new information for me but in terms of events (and more often than not, their implications) were known to me. There was more depth that could be explored especially in ...more
Ashwin Chandrasekaran
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Balaji Viswanathan from the Quora world. Fascinated by his writing style, I didn't hesitate to pick up this book when I first heard about it. I am not disappointed. In a simple but elaborate style, Balaji introduces the reader to various events in the post-independent India that were crucial in shaping up the country. It covers a lot of ground including Politics, Cricket, Technology and Religion. It ends with a nicely articulated vision for the future of India. Though at times I fe ...more
Harsh Gagrani
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brief history of modern India is a bold project even for a Quora celebrity. But the author has done a fine job with the book. Though the immediate pre-Independence era has been kept disappointingly brief, post-Independence era has been dealt with in a neat way.

However, unlike other modern history books like 'India after Gandhi', where stories flow in a chronological way, the author picked up topics (politics, sports et al) and dealt with all of them in their own chronology, which resulted in f
Surya Teja
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, indian
More than a book, it's a collection of notes on post-colonial India. From politics to wars to cultures, the book skims through a lot of topics, offering a brief description for each. It offers a summary of the events that led India to where it's today. This will be a useful start for anyone who wants to have a brief knowledge on Indian history, or wants a list of topics to research on for exploring the post-colonial history of India in-depth.
Alamgir Baidya
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Book Review: From Tryst to Tendulkar

Worst nonfiction book I have ever read ... The bias of the author in the initial part is subtle enough to let it remain readable ... But once he starts talking about his hero Modiji .. there's no stopping him .. from calling names to demonizing other political entities .. Mr Viswanathan has reached new lows ... A BJP party mouthpiece is more considerate than this book ...
Rajesh Gupta
Feb 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Author has invented a tool which can be used to torture your spouse, enemies and criminals. Make them read this book. Author should have published an excel sheet with dates of events etc. instead of publishing a book.
Ravi R
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
A good attempt by the author. Some chapters were written keeping only Indians in mind.
Vaibhav V Pradhan
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read

Must be taught as a subject in school. Simple avoids unnecessary details n how can someone write a history in this way just loved it.
Arash Jamwal
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall the book is a decent read.
Best chapter 17th: Into the Future.
Get yourself out of the well of darkness and despair by climbing the ropes or alternative tunnels{OPPORTUNITIES}.
and then...
Do what Batman did after coming from the pit of the death in Dark Knight Rises: Throw in the rope for others!
Special Mention to Book-Cricket Woah some good old days :D
Isabel
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
My first book of 2018!
Folmonty
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Terrible book which reads more like a textbook. Poor choice on my part.
Richard Joshua S
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
good book on the history of independent India. 3 stars due to confusing timelines and a few biased views in the fag end of the book.
Abhishek Desikan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
If you are familiar with the question-answer-website Quora, you are probably aware of it's most famous power user - Balaji Viswanathan. His book reads a lot like his answers there, albeit a really long one. From Tryst To Tendulkar... is a simple and brief recap of the history of modern India. Right from the time of independence, to the framing of the constitution and alignment of states, India's relationship with it's neighbors and other countries, the wars she has fought, the travails and succe ...more
Dhananjay Hegde
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is not exactly a history book. so, if you are looking for a more serious book on history, this is not for you.

Nevertheless, this book definitely gives you a glimpse on the history of modern India and what shaped it's present. You can use this book as an index to more serious books like "India After Gandhi".

Author's end note on how India can improve and accelerate its developments is interesting.

in some places, things were redundant such as while explaining India's electoral process. Howev

• Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • A Brief History of Modern India
  • The Vault of Vishnu
  • Let's Talk Money
  • Unreal Aliens
  • Unreal Elections
  • Rise of Kali: Duryodhana's Mahabharata (Epic of the Kaurava Clan #2)
  • The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True
  • HARAPPA: Curse of the Blood River
  • KASHI: Secret of the Black Temple (Harappa Series)
  • The Mahabharata Secret
  • The Mahabharata Quest: The Alexander Secret
  • A Secret Revealed
  • Son of Bhrigu (The Pataala Prophecy Book 1)

News & Interviews