Start by marking “Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)” as Want to Read:
Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)

Triple Witch

(Home Repair is Homicide #2)

Jacobia Tiptree saved her sanity—and her son, Sam—the day she abandoned Wall Street for the seacoast village of Eastport, Maine. In her new home, a charmingly dialpidated fixer-upper, she looks forward to repairing old radiators and restoring antique shutter for years to come. But Jake's hopes of serenity are dashed when tiny Eastport erupts in a crime wave.

Hometown bad bo
Published June 1999 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Triple Witch, please sign up.

Start your review of Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
Carol
Jacobi Tiptree( nicknamed Jake) was a former
stock trader. She now lives in a small coastal
town of Eastport, Maine with her son. She is
divorced from her husband who was a
manipulative surgeon and difficult to live with.
She is renovating her fixer-upper home. Now
while she is working on restoring antique
shutters, her radiators need repairing.
The quiet town of Eastport is about to
experience disruption in the way of two murders,
robberies of home and the appearance of a man
Jake researched before
Lynn Pribus
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd listened on CD (with some difficulty) to #1 in this series while on vacation and got this one (in print) upon return. Jacobia deals with the same interesting characters, problems with her aged house, son, and ex-husband, and suspicious deaths in a small town.

A bit heavy on the HIBK* but basically a tongue-in-cheek cozy despite 3 murders. You know that everything mentioned from llamas to wax bullets filled with ketchup to evil 6-y-o Sadie will play key parts in the plot, but it's still engagi
Rachel
Nathan Trachta
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m on a little vacation and decided to bring a nice light read from an author I’ve only read a little (Sarah Graves and her Home Repair is Homicide series). I’ll be honest and say I read the first years ago and started this one but put it aside because a book from one of my favorite authors came out (I’m sorry Ms. Graves, really).
Anyway while I’m not a huge murder mystery person I do enjoy a good one and have to say Ms. Graves writes an exciting one. The main character (Jacobia Tiptree) is a v
Jan C
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jan C by: Pam
Shelves: mystery, water
I enjoy this series. It's nothing really serious, but kind of the light side and a quick read. I usually describe it as Miss Marple meets This Old House. The main character is rehabbing her "new" old house in Eastport, Maine. She was formerly a financial wizard from Wall Street who apparently sometimes worked with mobsters and the SEC.

So you can pick up tips on both investing and rehabbing in these books. But I don't know if any of them are true or not. For instance, she indicates that if you pa
Jodi
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2015-read
Jacobia Tiptree was a Wall Street wizard who abandoned it all for a fixer-upper in Maine with her son Sam. Among the things she abandoned was an ex-husband, a brilliant surgeon, a truly lousy husband. When Jacobia and her friend Ellie uncover the dead body of the local bad-boy-stayed-bad, she couldn't have known it would tie into her old life, but not only does it tie in, that one dead body starts a cascade of events that almost gets both women killed. Eastport, Maine is exactly what you would e ...more
Karendenice
This book is #2 in this series. It was just okay to me. The only other one that I have read in this series is #4 Repair to Her Grave and it was a whole lot better. It's set in Maine which is where I would love to live and retire to.There is a woman named Jake (Jacobia) and her son Sam that moved to Maine from the city. She bought an old house and is doing her own home repairs as well as solving murders with her best friend Ellie. The first book had a lot of funny parts in it. This one didn't. I' ...more
Susan
I have been re-reading this series after a few years. I have also been remembering how much I enjoy these books. This episode, the second of the series, contains a satisfying mystery with some exciting plot points.

I really like the protagonist, Jacobia (Jake) Tiptree. This book continues the development of Jake and the relationships she has with her friends and family and ex-husband. In her character, Jake Tiptree, the author, Sarah Graves, portrays a very real-seeming woman recovering from an
Cindy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting mystery. Some anti-Christian reference (sad). No bad language or sex, some violence - it's a mystery, afterall. Narrated well and, unlike some female narrators, clearly by Lindsey Ellison.
Judy
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
A beach read at best. I got tired of the main character talking to herself all the time while her ex-husband who she should talk with just keeps running over her. I like women with a purpose not just there.
Cyndi
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
These books are cute. Not alot of substance, kinda entertaining.
Tom
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting mystery but there was so much going on that wasn't part of the crime it seemed to bog down. will try another if I come across one.
Kelley
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Note: I may or may not come back and write more of a review, but I wanted to get some notes down.

I started this series, Home Repair is Homicide, with this second book instead of the first, mainly because this is the one that was available at my library. Honestly, I love stories about old and maybe haunted houses, and that's what drew me to it. I've continued to read them, depending on availability at the library, and they are growing on me.

First things first, it's a good cozy series. I like the
AlienDog
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this amateur detective cozy. The main character was fun, witty, and engaging, but a bit of a pushover when it comes to her jerk of an ex-husband. She tells people it's to make life better for their son, Sam, but to let him freeload off her (he's a rich heart surgeon who took her for nearly everything she had in their divorce), become his slave, and cow-tow to his every whim, is doing their son no favors. Sam would be much better off if she stood up to her ex, as he needs to stand up to ...more
Renee
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A few months ago I started searching area libraries for books, as this one, in the Home Repair is Homicide series. It's set in Eastport, Maine, and the protagonist is a former NYC trader/investment advisor who not only left her egotistical, abusive neurosurgeon husband, but who decided to move far away from the City when her son started hanging with a crowd that was into using drugs.

Even without the mystery aspect, this is a pretty good plot set-up, right?

Graves' writing is wonderful and she cap
Carlin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I really enjoyed this book. Although I now have only two books in this series listed as "read" in Goodreads, I'm sure I have read several others (publication started in the 90s). I love the main characters, even Victor, Jacobia's ex, is a hoot! Jacobia (Jake) Tiptree used to be a high flying financial whiz on Wall Street before she left Victor, taking her teenaged son Sam to a remote island off the northern Maine coast. She is restoring an old house while solving mysteries with her best friend E ...more
Lori Gronewold
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Peter Barr
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Triple Witch is the second book by Sarah Graves in this series. I read one book by her previously but not in this series. I liked the other book better. If M.C. Beaton had written this book, Victor Tiptree would have been dead by page 3. Instead he is set up to be a recurring character in the series. I am a fan of M.C. Beaton. The main character (Jacobia Tiptree) is an intelligent character of strength and is likable but the book itself seemed to drag on forever. I'm not sure at this time if I'l ...more
Mary Ann
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jake and Ellie find a body on the shore when they were going to try out the "fake" bullets Jake made. While they continue to work around the area to get ready for a visit from a VIP, they continue to find bodies and Jake runs into a man she helped put into jail for scamming older adults out of their money. When people think she is onto the newest scam she becomes a target.

While this is happening, Jake's ex-husband has come to town and is staying in the guest room. While he is with her he goes f
Dora
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Triple Witch

Jacobia Tiptree and her son, Sam, live in a small coastal town in Maine where Jacobia is fixing up an old Victorian home. Jacobia is divorced from Victor probably the world’s most manipulative man. Jacobia used to be a stock trader and had done some research for the SEC that got Willoughby Baxter imprisoned for skimming funds.

There are three murders in the book that at first seem to be linked to drug smuggling. When Jacobia and Ellie find Ellie’s Old boyfriend washed up on the shore
Cheryl Kage
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
After finishing this book, I have to say ... that Sarah Graves is something else. She has a way of weaving a slow meandering story that keeps me invested enough that, when I am finally thinking "man this is moving rather slowly" things pick up and I am unable to go to bed till I finish.

The only things I don't like about the stories are Victor the ex-husband (I would like to see him slowly eaten by an alligator, toes first) and that dreadful, psychotic child that randomly wreaks havoc. Otherwise,
Jeffrey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really didn't care for this book. I had to force myself to get through it, and almost stopped with only 30 pages to go, because I just didn't care.

I don't like the main character, but I don't mind all of the supporting characters.

I also don't care for the authors technique of writing "suspenseful" scenes. Rather than write out fast moving, high anxiety scenes, she relies on retelling of the sequences. One moment the lead character is held at gun point, and them bam, she is sitting at the kitch
Shirielle
Jake (Jacobia Tiptree) is working on fixing up her home on Prince’s Cove. This book is the second in the series and takes place several months after the first. During the elapsed time Ellie has married and there is a new lawyer in town.

Three victims, horrible ex-husband, and blast from the past keep Jake and friend Ellie hopping, not to mention the police. This multilayered not-as-cozy mystery was an entertaining read. Jake is interested in that she is not so, “innocent”. I am glad that she is s
Christy Kelly
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good tale from Sarah

I gave it a 4 because she gets a little monotonous on shutters. Jake's ex is very prominent throughout the entire book. He's obviously a millionaire several times over with his erratic behavior which borders on the absurd and unbelievable. Jake's behavior morphs her from the strong independent woman she was in book one to a virtual doormat. It's unrealistic that she suddenly let's Victor move onto her house going from the first book's feelings.
Mizloo
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
I loved this series when I first read it. This time around, the details of Maine life seem a bit cloying, the girlfriend is too cute, the boyfriend is too perfect and the ex-husband is too psychotic for the job he supposedly holds. The writing is smooth as glass, the plot hangs together, and the amount of task-fulfillment that exhausts each day also exhausts me.

I'll let this series lie for a while. Back to non-fiction; I may just have stayed in Neverland a bit too long.
Andrea
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook because it was well written and Lindsay Ellison did a very good job with the Maine accent. This is about Jacobia Tiptree leaving Wall Street and going to a seaport village of Eastport, Maine with her son Sam. Jacobia and Sam move into a fixer upper and get started on fixing up the house but when Jacobia starts looking for shutters for the house she fine there a a crime save in town an gets herself in the middle of everything.
Bonnie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting Tuff and Finding the Truth.

5 plus 100 more gold stars. Sarah Graves not only has a gift of being a writer, but she has one great series going A Home Repair is Homicide. A series that will delight anyone who loves a good mystery to read. Some language but most of all a book that will please mature people.
Krystle
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This one didn't hold my attention as well as the first one did. It was a little confusing in that I felt like the characters kept getting mixed up in my head (the bad guys, I mean). I'll continue on with the series, but I wasn't overly impressed with this one. Felt like everything fell a little too conveniently into place at the end.
Traci Haley
Equally as good (maybe even a bit better) as the first one. Jacobia's ex-husband is horrendous and I honestly wish he'd become one of the murder victims. But I suppose all series need an antagonist. In any case, these are fun, cozy mysteries. Nothing too difficult or offensive to be found. I'll continue with them simply because my brain needs "easy" right now.
Tina
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Fun cozy mystery set in a quaint town on an island in Maine. Characters are likeable, setting is well described, and the plot fairly believable. Fans of cozies with strong female main characters will like this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: Triple Witch - Sarah Graves - 4 stars 1 11 Feb 04, 2016 08:26PM

• Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery, #6)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
  • Crewel and Unusual (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #6)
  • Margaritas, Marzipan, and Murder (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • If Walls Could Talk (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #1)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Darned if You Do (A Needlecraft Mystery, #18)
  • Lattes, Ladyfingers, and Lies (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #4)
  • The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow, #8)
  • Lethal Licorice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Bookmarked for Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • Criminally Cocoa (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #3.5)
  • Claw Enforcement (Second Chance Cat Mystery #7)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)