Start by marking “Solarversia” as Want to Read:
Solarversia

Solarversia

Solarversia is the story of an epic year-long game played by 100 million people inside a virtual world modelled on the real world Solar System. Given three lives, three vehicles, and told to master The Science of Solarversia to stand a chance of winning, players compete for the £10m grand prize, and the chance to help design the next game, starting in 2024.

Nova Negrahnu an
Published August 31st 2015 by Toby Downton

To ask other readers questions about Solarversia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solarversia

Richard Coles
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this advanced copy in the form of an e-book, in return I ham posting this honest book review.

This book is based on the premise that by 2020 a massive online virtual reality video game would exist. Solarversia imagines a virtual world representing our own solar system. The main story of the book tells the story of Nova’s journey through the one year game in Solarversia in 2020. The more you read Solarversia, the more you learn about the virtual reality world.

Nova’s story is the bigge
Nate
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
First I'd like to thank Mr. Downton for providing me with a free version of the ebook to read. Although I wasn't a big fan of this one, I wanted to at least provide some context.

The book Solarversia was a large undertaking as it deals with Downton's vision of a VR universe, complete with backstory, a young girl's personal life as she heads to college, the corporation that built Solarversia, and a mysterious cult. Unlike in Ready Player One, I didn't feel these critical stories came together effe
Neil Glaser
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aren't 1st novels always the best? This one was no exception. My expectations were high and Solarversia surpassed those with flying colors. A great story, with real living and breathing characters that finishes in a spectacular fashion. A coming of age story that makes me want to hand this book to my 14 yr old twin boys and tell them to listen to the lessons learned by Nova and the friends that surround her. Great job Toby Downton, thanks for creating this possible future world. I can't wait to ...more
Karsyn
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Solarversia by Toby Downton
Completed 07/29/15
5 of 5 stars
441 page book
Expected Publication ~ 8/31/15

I received this book from the author for my honest review.

I just finished reading Solarversia, and it was FANTASTIC!! Solarversia is a MUST read for fans of books like Ready Player One, Erebos and The Eye of Minds or fans of any type of gaming and virtual reality books. If you aren't at all interested in video gaming then this book isn't going to be for you. So far the reviews of this book seem to
Caitlin Gutilla
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced e-book edition from the Solarversia newsletter in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, I would rate this book between a 3.5 to a 4.0. There are a number of pros and cons that I'd like to mention without going into any type of spoilers.

Cons:

- Nova's life outside of the game was rather boring and I found myself skimming over many of the chapters that included unnecessary romance and what felt like "forced" reality. The book should have focused more on in
Bar Reads
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's about a year long game called Solarversia, taking place in 2020. Other than that, it's nothing like ready player one
It's written much more like the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
a little like the hunger games.

It's written from different point of views, some of them are surprising and unexpected.

and when I read different pov's, I try to see if the characters are significantly different than one another, and they are.

Each one has a different narration in my head;
a different accent, a differ
Zack Lester
Like others here, I received an advanced copy of Solarversia from Toby Downton, and in return I am leaving my honest review.

Question: When is a game not just a game?
Answer: When Toby Downton is creating it.

What Mr. Downton has done is nothing short of amazing. He didn't just write a book. He created three different universes and then had them interact with each other. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been.

I actually enjoyed seeing how playing a year long game would impact a person's
Brandon Story
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Toby Downton's rendition of futuristic game of wit's, survival, and just plain luck is masterfully written in this novel. The characters are strong, well written and touch you deep in your soul. You cant help but rooting for Nova and team as they battle it out on the way to be "The One".
Robert Boatright
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant but be careful - it's totally addictive! If you liked Reamde or Ready Player One, you're going to love Solarversia! I didn't want it to end; fortunately, it seems tailor made for a sequel (hint hint - are you listening Toby?). The most fun I've had in ages - don't miss it.
Justin Stanley
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the author in return for writing an honest review of it once I'd finished.

I wasn't sure what to expect before reading this book and was scared it was going to be just a boring, uninspired rip-off of Ready Player One, which is one of my favourite books. Luckily it stands completely on its own and I LOVED this book. So if you liked Ready Player One, and were skeptical of this book, set those fears aside and know that you'll likely like this book as well!

I f
Dave Chesson
I got an advanced copy from the author in exchange for a review:

This book initially peaked my interest when I was told that if I liked Ready Player One, then I would like this. I think that is a fair assessment.

Although I found the first 20% a little slow, and had a hard time connecting with the main character, it wasn't until the Solarversia game really got going that I was hooked.

I loved the many different tests that the character had to solve and was pleasantly surprised that things really
Rachel
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i loved it and I will write a proper review later, when I am not on my phone.
April Sarah
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author for a free and honest review, so that is what you are going to get.

video review: http://youtu.be/RDSgUefdx3s

This book was such an adventure. There is so much inside and going on that you can't help but become extremely invested with something crazy is going down.

The premise of the book is that a year long game set in virtual reality has been set up and commences at the beginning of the book. The whole world is watching and involved. For the most part, highly
Indy Hart
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was contacted by the author, Toby Downton, to read and review an advanced copy of Solarversia. I have every bit of encouragement for him as an author and hope publishing this book, his first novel, will propel him to transform more of his ideas and imagination into written word. Having said all that, I'm going to turn my attention and my "critic's eye" toward Solarversia.

Solarversia is story that attempts to take readers on a thrilling ride through real world and digital crime and puzzle solvi
Matias
(Para version en español --> http://calabozosyrobots.blogspot.com....)

First of all I would like to thank Toby Downton for sending me an advanced ebook copy of his book Solarversia so as to get some first opinions and get the word out.
Now onto the book itself. I think the synopsis says it all without spoiling anything so I'm not gonna add anything.
Since before I got the book I had it as a "Must Read", the main reason being I enjoy books that merge real life with video gaming or virtual realit
Charlie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.

This is a well paced book that sure does pack a punch! Easy to follow story line that flips between the VR and real world with believable characters that develop as the story goes along.
The Year Long Game is as imaginative as it is quirky! The elaboratness behind the names, places, challenges and random events within the game deserve 5 stars by themselves.
The inclusion of the Holy Order storyline serves as a timely reminder in this day a
Hugo
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys near-future sci-fi or just really good stories.
Solarversia is a great read. I read it on the train and it livened up my commute no end. It is also a really compelling view of the future that I think does a fantastic job of tying together a number of themes including virtual reality (of course!), robotics, AI and the implications that has on the jobs market, gamification, and haptic technology to name a few that spring immediately to mind.

I often read very dry (non-fiction) books on these subjects and the ability to get their essence across
Alex Telander
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like video games, chances are you’re either a fan of or are at least familiar with massive multiplayer online role-playing games, better known as MMORPGs. There are a lot of MMORPGs out there right now: Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Star Trek, and Warhammer to name a few. Some are hugely successful, some not so much. But what is known is that a lot of people on this planet like playing them.

So it makes sense then that a book about an addicti
Assikatsum
Quite an experience ;) this story is so packed with exciting ideas and action as well as some weird stuff. Enjoyable as a whole, although didn't like the ending; it was cliffhangerish (view spoiler) ...more
Dan Absalonson
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like reading near future science fiction books, you'll love this one. It's full of cool ideas about artificial intelligence, the future of video game technology, and a whole lot more. If you enjoyed one of my favorite books, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, there's a great chance you'll have a blast reading this book too.

The main character and her friends join Solarversia, a yearlong game that promises fame and riches to the person who wins at the end. I loved the places described in thi
Milliebot
Sep 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, don't do it
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. All opinions in this post are my own.

Virtual reality mixes with real life when players enter Solarversia, a year-long video game mixing real life locations with virtual elements. 100 million people will compete for the 10 million pound prize. But when a religious sect sets their sites on the company that founded the game and some of its players,
Heather
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received and ARC for an honest review**
Review: When I first started reading this I had high hopes. I was told it would be similar to Ready Player One. That is actually how the author of the novel found me, through a post on twitter about Ready Player One. Of course, I was ready to read another book similar, but I quickly found out that the only things the two books had in common where that they were about a game.
The first half of the book was a little slow, to be honest. I drug myself throu
Akira
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One game, one winner, a year long game - welcome to the world of Solarversia.

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to read this book, but the cheap price and plot gave me enough to give it a try - I wasn't disappointing. It's complex puzzles, unpronounceable character names and it's interesting time length made Solarversia a really interesting read.

There's so much to talk about - the twists and turn that took place and all the complexity within the book just really made this one of my favorite book of
Mrs T
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As with the other reviewers, I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Using multiple threads to compel the reader along, we follow the protoganist, Nova, and her friends Sushi and Burner as they seamlessy traverse both the real and virtual world during the Year Long Game. With part skill, part luck and part quick thinking, one million players enter the entrancing world of Solarversia from their unique square on the players grid and must weave their way through a web o
Shannon Kauderer
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Solarversia
Series Number: Not a part of a series
Author: Toby Downton
Theme(s): Influence of augmented reality on the future.

What I liked:
The world building. All of the ideas about gaming and the effects of augmented reality on the future. There are a ton of ideas and they work together to immerse the reader in the game Solerversia in new and exciting ways.

The thriller aspect was well done and well woven into the story. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say much more, but it you'r
Scott Porter
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a free eBook for my honest review.

I was contacted by Toby Downton after I made a comment about Ready Player One, which I absolutely loved. Mr. Downton said if I loved that book then I should give Solarversia a shot. He was absolutely right; Solarversia did not disappoint.

There are so many nuances and creative aspects to this story that it really kept my interest. There are some confusing aspects as the vastness of the world demands tremendous descriptions, but the detail in Mr. Do
Andy Phillips
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of the Kindle version of the book by the author in exchange for writing a review. I do not know him and my review is not deliberately biased in any way.

The story is centred around a young British woman's involvement in a year long game played in virtual reality between one million competitors. The game is based on a simulation of the solar system, but features a number of strange characters, twists and alterations to reality. The players must solve problems and play sub-g
Jirnsum
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was offered an ARC by the author after making a remark about Ready Player One on Twitter claiming that if I loved that book, I would certainly enjoy Solarversia as well. He was right; I enjoyed it very much.

The author is great at really pulling you into the action packed scenes that are in the book. My only minor gripe (which makes my rating 4 stars and not 5) is that it appears there are some pretty big gaps in the timeline. You get filled in on what happened in the meantime, but I feel ther
Rick Elliott jr
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
** NOTICE: I received an advanced copy of this book from the author himself for promising to leave an honest review in return **

Now, I am not very good at writing reviews, so I will do my best to make this a decent review, but I give no promises!

Solarversia is an absolutely amazing story about a young girl by the name of Nova, who enters what is called "The Year Long Game", or "Solarversia", a year long game full of various puzzles, challenges, and quests, with the winner receiving a vast amount
Samantha
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free advanced copy from the author himself when I had tweeted about Ready Player One. In return all he asked was for an honest review and that is just what I'm going to do.

Overall I really did enjoy the book, it was set in the future and was based on a really cool virtual reality game. But the game isn't all action packed its for anyone to play, yes some games take skill some take smarts but its evened out for everyone in some degree. The characters are easy to relate too and some e
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Different Light
  • The Human (War of the Seasons, #1)
  • Silver Eyes (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • The Caphenon (Chronicles of Alsea #1)
  • Shadow Walkers
  • Ómorphi
  • Paradise City (The Big Empty, #2)
  • Zero World
  • 炎炎ノ消防隊 01 [Enen no Shouboutai 1] (Fire Force, #1)
  • Our Broken Sky (Chaos Theory, #1.5)
  • Triptych
  • To Shape the Dark
  • Death's Head (Narc, #1)
  • The Fire Wars (Fire Wars, #1)
  • Sky Doll: La Ville Blanche (Sky Doll, #3)
  • Mardock Scramble
  • Dangerous Space
Toby's first novel, Solarversia, about a year-long game played in a virtual world, will be self-published through Amazon on the 31st August 2015.

The book was created by Toby to showcase the world of Solarversia, a game he plans to launch in the real world in the year 2020.

If you like sci-fi, think of yourself as a gamer, and are interested in the coming virtual reality revolution, this is a book y
“I have not one, but two presents for you.” 2 likes