Start by marking “From Seed to Plant” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  485 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Do you know how a seed begins? What pollination is? How
flowers, fruits, and vegetables get to be the way they are?

The mystery of how seeds are formed and grow into plants is revealed for young readers in this informative book.

Included in Appendix B of the Common Core State Standards.
Published January 1st 1991 by Holiday House

Jailine Marin-Torres
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From Seed to Plant is a wonderful book that could be used to by many teachers. I think this book can be used in a 3rd or 4th grade science class to introduce spring or the topic of how and when plants grow. It breaks down each part of the plant and has a great picture that students can refer back too. I also liked that fact that it has the names of different flowers throughout the book. I read it with my nephew and we both enjoyed it a lot.
Kaitlin Rosenberg
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an extremely cute book to read to second or third graders. This book talks about the plant cycle, which this book would be great in a science class. I would highly recommend this book, if you are planning to teach your students about the plant cycle.
Melissa
Mar 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book is for grades K through 2. It provides a simple introduction on plant reproduction. The scientific topics that are covered include: pollination, seed dispersal and growth. There is a project include - how to grow a bean plant and unusual facts. The text is somewhat difficult to understand, especially for a young student. I could easily see younger students being confused by the unusual wording. The illustrations leave something to be desired. I am certain that there are better books ou ...more
Amalia
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awards: n/a

Appropriate grade level(s): 1st-3rd

Summary: This book goes through the process of how plants grow in kid friendly language. It explains important steps in the growth process with pictures and diagrams. It also compares different types of plants such as flowers, fruits and vegetables.

Review: I really like how simplified this book is for children. They are easily able to follow what the author is saying with the many labeled diagrams. I think children will enjoy reading this book sinc
Lidia Alarcon
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: N/A

Appropriate grade level(s): pre-k - K

Summary: This book discusses the process of how plants grow. It gives information about seeds, parts of a flower, pollination etc. It also discusses the differences between different kinds of plants.

Review: I think it’s great that the illustrations in this book are labeled. It provides a vast amount of information on how plants grow. I really enjoyed reading this book and even learned a few things.

In-class uses: (1) lesson on how plants grow. (2) s
Kayla
I would most definitely use this book as an introduction to a science lesson. I love how it has a project at the end and I believe it is very doable. If I am unable to teach science (some school systems leave out science and history) then I can use this during a reading lesson to combine both reading and science.
Rachel
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laurie-books, aug-17
This book is very well illustrated. The pictures are easy to understand for younger children and word explanations for the olders.
Charlotte
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mom: a little over our heads but enjoyed very much
Kendall Coreno
Nov 30, 2015 marked it as to-read
Title: From Seed to Plant
Author: Gail Gibbons
Illustrator:
Genre: How-to Book
Theme(s): Plants, flowers, process, and environment
Opening line/sentence: Most plants make seeds.
Brief Book Summary: This book demonstrates the process of how a seed becomes a plant. It also includes the different parts of a flower and the steps to how flowers pollinate. It shows how many flowers and plants have different cycles but how they all start off as seeds.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Ann Ritchie (A
Sarah Zablotney
Title: From Seed to Plant
Author: Gail Gibbons
Genre: How-to Book
Theme(s): Development, Plant Life Cycle
Opening line/sentence: “Most plants make seeds. A seed contains the beginning of a new plant.”
Brief Book Summary: Plants are all around and after reading this book the reader will have a better understanding of how they are made. The plant life cycle is explained through detailed illustrations and clarifying text. At the end of the book the reader will understand how a plant is made, and the p
Shyana Marie
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-10
Awards: none
Book type: nonfiction, informational
Summary: This book describes the process of flower growth in a kid friendly way. It starts from the seed all the way into a flower. It even tells the reader where seeds come from. It also provides pictures and breaks down the process. It informs children on what pollen is and why it's important in flower growth. It compares the growth of flowers to the growth of fruit, and vegetables. All the pictures are labeled to give a visual
Colleen Overlander
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gail Gibbons' "From Seed to Plant" is an engaging example of an expository informational text appropriate for the early elementary grades, K-2nd. This text explores the specific topic that focuses on the relationship that exists between a seed and a plant as well as the process involved of growing into a plant from a seed. I find that this picture book would be great for early elementary students as it is, at this age, that in Science, this topic is generally explored. Not only this, but this te ...more
Jess Zerr
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Dominick
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons is a nonfiction picture book intended for readers in grades first to third grade. From Seed to Plant explains the life cycle of seeds. It mainly focuses on flowers but also explains that vegetables and fruits also grow from seeds. I gave the book a 4-star rating because of the illustrated details coupled with the words to describe the illustrations. The book illustrated and named various plants with colorful pictures. The parts of the flower were colorfully ill ...more
Nicole Gustafson
This book vivid imagery to the hands of little readers, this text offers information regarding the entire plant cycle from the seed to the plant. This book is intended for small children and is not meant to provide pages upon pages of researched information. This book offers simple facts about seeds and plants and how to even grow a bean plant. I really like the colorful illustrations and the simple to read labels. This is simply a book to teach about seeds.

This book fits within the information
Meshi Zilberstein
Jun 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: informational
This book has not received any awards.

This book is appropriate for grade levels: K-1.

Summary
This book goes through the entire life cycle of a plant and goes through the stages of it 19s life from seed to plant to the way in which they then reproduce. Descriptions of each part of the plant are also provided such as the different parts of the seeds and leaves. In addition, readers are taught about everything needed in order for a plant to grow and continue reproducing.

Review
This book is highly in
Chelsea Yarworth
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
From Seed to Plant is a nonfiction book. Its reading level is for 1st through 4th grade. This book takes students through the process of planting a seed to it growing into a flower. The theme of this book is plants, flowers, process, and environment. This book talks about different parts of a flower and the steps to pollinate. It also shows how many flowers and plants have cycles but show all start off as seeds. I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because throughout the book there were many pictu ...more
Burchbears
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amanda Crusse
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“From Seed to Plant” is a nonfiction book for children ages 5-8. The book gives a step by step explanation of how a plant grows from a seed and describes some of the plant parts.
I give this book 5 stars because for its targeted age group it fully serves its purpose. The words and pictures in this book go hand in hand. The colorful framed pictures of flowers allow for easy labeling and identify. The begins with explaining the basics, such as seeds are different shapes, sizes, and color. Then focu
Maria
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. Five to eight year olds.
2. In "From Seed to Plant" young readers learn the growth process of a seed. Through vivid and informative illustrations the children can see the growth cycle. The book conveys to young readers that seeds need sunlight and water. The text is clear and concise.
3. This book serves many educational purposes, it allows young readers and thinkers to see a visual process of the growth of seeds and how different plants/trees all come from a tiny seed. These concepts may be c
Teresa Gartland
From Seed to Plant is an informational picture book geared toward early elementary students. This book goes over the life cycle of plants and the stages they go through. The book includes stages such as pollination and growth, what those stages look like and what the plant needs during those stages. This would be a perfect book to use as an introduction to a science lesson about plants and life cycles. I would start off by reading this book to the students then having them draw the life cycles o ...more
Bethany Sutherland
From Seed to Plant is a book about the development of plants and the process they go through. From plants who have to be pollinated which can happen by the same plant, bees, birds, and the wind. Then, the seed forms and is also carried by the wind and other animals falling to the ground. With water and sunlight, the seed begins to grow and becomes a plant, which can be a vegetable plant, a flower, a tree, or any other kind of plant. Then, the process starts all over again.

This book was okay. Not
Emily Purdy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young readers
This is a fun informational book about learning about a little itty bitty seed turns into a beautiful plant with just a little bit of love from the sun and water. It takes you through the steps of what is needed to help the plant grow and I think it is easy for young readers to follow along and learn the magic behind what it takes to make a seed turn into a plant.

This is an informational text so it is a very realistic book. The text helps support the illustrations but I feel like it can be easil
Shakita
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: flowers
This book is great when learning about the plant cycle. It shows you how a plant grows from a seed to a plant. This book is great for science class because it has a project that the class can do in the back. The children can grow a bean plant and actually see the seed start to sprout roots and so on. I remember doing a project like this in school and I thought that it was really cool to see my small bean grow into something much bigger and greener. Children are able to think about all the things ...more
Dayna
Book Title: From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons

Book Description: This book is about the life cycle of a plant and the process it goes through starting at a seed. It talks about what a plant needs during growth and how it changes.

Focus: Students will practice comprehending a story and write an informational piece recalling the major changes a seed goes through to become a plant. Students will use facts and key words from within the story to inform their reader.

CCSS Connections: W.2.2 Write informa
Marissa
1. This book has not won any awards.

2. It's for ages 6-10.

3. This book is perfect for children with curiosity about the life cycle of a plant from seed. This book explains simply, the steps a plant takes from seed stage to plant.

4. I think this book is perfect for young readers who are curious about the environment and how things grow. I would use this book in a science and reading lesson and tie it to a hands on experiment.

5. This can be used for a science/reading lesson. Children can grow a p
Brittny Nguyen
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is an informational text and can be used with 2nd graders. It is a great text that can be used to help explain to students how a plant grows, its various parts, its different sizes, and so forth. The pictures do justice in giving the students a visual of what the book is trying to portray. I used this book as a resource in a science lesson plan for 2nd grade. For the assignment they were to explain the different parts of the plants by using this book as a resource during our read aloud ...more
Julie Graham 47150
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book about seeds and plants for primary students. It provides opportunities to combine reading, writing, and science. My class is learning about lifecycles and we've started with plants. First, I read this book to my students. Then we planted soybeans in Ziplock bags (see http://www.readitonceagain.com/units/...). They are also keeping a journal to record their observations of the growing seeds and adding illustrations as desired.
Shannon
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Gail Gibbons always seems to catch me off guard. I keep thinking that just because her nonfiction books use illustrations instead of photographs, they are going to be somehow lacking. Not so. I used this book to introduce our plant growth and development unit, and my kids loved it. I'll admit, I worried some of the images would be too phallic for my kids to handle, but they were rockstars! They're so excited to plant their seeds.
Silence
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Grade school

Illustrations: Classic Gail Gibbons, bright and engaging.

Plot / Review: A clear and easy to understand exploration of how seeds grow, their components, and the differences in their germination needs. It’s a great book for helping children to understand the concept, but it isn’t boring. There are some extra facts in the back and directions on how to pant and grow your own seeds.

Read Aloud: Yes, but it is also a solid book for curriculum support.
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Jack's Garden
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • Plant a Little Seed
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Pumpkin Cat
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • How a Seed Grows
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • Rosie Sprout's Time to Shine
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • The Skeleton Inside You
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...