Start by marking “Against Her Will” as Want to Read:

A YA novel BASED ON ACTUAL EVENTS
My name is Cassidy Connor and my parents hate me. Well, they can go to hell. After yet another fight with my manipulative lawyer father and bible thumping mother, I disappear onto Hollywood Blvd among the other street kids. Or so I thought. The cops pick me up for a BS crime I didn't commit, and Dad announces the only way I can avoid
Published March 30th 2015 by Motivational Press

To ask other readers questions about Against Her Will, please sign up.
Paul It's incredibly badly written, that's for sure.

Start your review of Against Her Will
Paul
Jul 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I only read half of it. I can see that it has received breathless four and five-star ratings generally, but I'll tell you why it's bad.

Here are the words used most frequently in the first half of the book: stared (14 times), scowled (11), sneered (8), snorted (5), snapped (4), glared (5), sighed (4), groaned (2), frowned (2) stomped (2), snarled (2), shot back (2), stalked away (2). This already gives you an idea of the amateurish de
Italia Gandolfo
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A stunning debut by Jo Schaffer and bestselling author Serita Stevens. A truly riveting trip through the eyes of a group of teens caught up in an institution for "crazy" people--most there against their will. A shocking, behind the curtain look at what it's really like to live in a "throw away" place for teens when your parents don't want to deal with you anymore.
Kristie Noyes
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional

I am a school psychologist and this book is probably the best I've read of this type. It looks into the emotions and struggles of young people with mental health issues and hospitals without trying to paint a pretty picture. Very well done.
Jonathan Ryan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Against Her Will is a profound exploration of lost teens that will make you think. Very rarely does YA fiction approach this kind of depth, understanding and raw power.
Tina
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was convinced I was going to hate this book (so why was I reading it? I don't know). But within about 10 pages I was hooked. The main character is angry and misguided and miserable. This sounds great, doesn't it? She's also pretty stupidly real. Do you know a teenager? Then you know this girl. She's nuts but in the completely average kind of way. Her life is a little more dramatic than your average girl (you'll see), but how else would there be a story written about her? This book was angry, s ...more
Ann L.
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 18 and over due to mature content
Recommended to Ann by: BookBub or some other newsletter I get
I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone under the age of 18 due to mature content, unless the teen is very mature emotionally. There's a lot of emotional outbursts due to psychological traumas, and some sexual events that happen to the teenagers. It's an overall great story to read as it's based on real events, so I like that about the story. I feel inspired to know that there are strong people out there that can go through strife and come out healthy in the end. I could not put the ...more
Natalie Kronz
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent look into the environment associated with mental healthcare facilities. The cynicism, inner turmoil and conflict, and the relationships between patients and staff make for an interesting read. Everyone can rally behind a strong-willed and sympathetic character as well! Three stars for the predictable supporting characters and neatly tied up ending. Overall, still an enjoyable read. Also, spinoff novel on Tony?
Jennifer Jenkins
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book hit me like a sledge hammer to the face (in an awesome way!). If you're interested in highly emotive, psychological thrillers, I recommend this book. I've never read characters that jump from the page the way these did. A stunning debut for Jo Schaffer.
Gabby
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book, but I feel like I should establish the trigger warnings.
There is a rape scene.
A scene with domestic violence/abuse.
Multiple self harm scenes.
Suicide
Attempted suicide.
And a scene with a miscarriage.

Hope this helps.
Samantha
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall, this was a great read. It kept my interest through the whole story. Not your typical YA read.
Amanda
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope

It was good at first. The end was predictable. I finished to find out what happened to Edgar but they dont tell you
Nancy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-reviewed
Jess
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-ya
This book is trying to be a new, modern "...Cuckoo's Nest" but failed hard. Too cliche, and fell into all the trappings about mental hospitals being full of bad people that want to hurt you. A stereotype we could do without.
Honestly, I'm not sure how it ended up in my Kindle, and I read it when I couldn't get an internet connection.
Agustina
It was a good book, sad to think that some kids go thru that.
Mason Barge
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Badly written whine by the glorious victim of cardboard cutout bad parents. Just intolerable. The mental hospital comes off like a cliched bad high school, writ large. Read "Girl in Pieces" instead.
Julie York
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Against Her Will

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was always wondering what was going to happen to Cassidy next. I didn't enjoy Cassidy"s parents putting her in Oakdale. I did enjoy when the kids decided to unite together toward the end to help her
Mary
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this since one of the co-authors is someone I have met in real life which makes her a real person and EVERYONE knows that a talented real person is not the same thing as a talented famous person. But now I feel like she has a famous person inside her just waiting to get out.
Ann
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anger to acceptance

Sometimes parents are clueless and sometimes controlling. Kids turn hurt to anger. Neither side can see th other. This book highlights the incredible journey of teens locked on a psychiatric unity their parents. It shows the journey they go on to find their way. Worth reading.
Angel (huge fan of all things Totoro)
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I seriously tried getting into this, but the main girl (can't remember her name) was just a total spoiled bitch. I could not get into it. Also, it kinda gave me some bad vibes, reminding me of my own time in a psych ward.
Invisible reader
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really thrilling and good and i really liked the ending.
Melony
Jul 17, 2016
Carrie
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sometimes also published as Megan MacDonnell, Shira Stevens, Serita Mendelson Stevens, or Serita Deborah Stevens.
“Nothing was really against her will. She got to own her life—her actions, her feelings and her decisions. So,” 0 likes
“Using people and manipulating them sucked. And sometimes it destroyed them. Cassidy of all people knew how devastating it could be on the other end. “I’m” 0 likes