Start by marking “Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)” as Want to Read:
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)

Career of Evil

(Cormoran Strike #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  160,596 ratings  ·  13,826 reviews
When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman’s severed leg.

Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible – and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality.

With
Published October 20th 2015 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Career of Evil, please sign up.
Erika According to an interview with Val McDermid, Rowling intends to continue the series:
"I really love writing these books, so I don't know that I've got …more
"I really love writing these books, so I don't know that I've got an end point in mind. One of the things I absolutely love about this genre is that, unlike Harry, where there was an overarching story, a beginning and an end, you're talking about discrete stories. So while a detective lives, you can keep giving him cases."(less)

·  160,596 ratings  ·  13,826 reviews

Start your review of Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein accents abound, people play pretend, men hurt women in many different ways, and Robin is really Batman.
Ashley
June 2018: This review is mostly going to be me responding to some of my own thoughts from my first review, with some extras thrown in; for example, how I was considering raising this to five stars because I loved Robert Glenister's narration so much. I love the dead tree versions of this book, but the audio adds another level. Highly recommend if you are so inclined. (I'm leaving my rating at 4.5, rounding down, for now, because of the ending. See below.)

Spoilery discussion of several plot poin
Mohammed Arabey
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's The One With All the Feelings..
A tense,thrill mystery interwoven with complicated emotions, kind of love..even Nostalgia.

No matter how you imaged Strike,

Here you'll get more into him, into his Feelings specially toward his precious engaged partner, Robin..his friends,-I bet you gonna Love Shanker-..

ِ..into his past, During his..

..Career of Evil.

& No matter whether you read the previous ones or not, you'll adore the Remarkable, excellent written, relation of Strike & Robin..

This wonderful u
Raeleen Lemay
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
SOLID.

This series is definitely my favorite when it comes to the audiobooks... They're just so well done! The narrator perfectly does all of the different accents, and he sounds exactly how I would picture Cormoran Strike to sound. Audiobook comments aside, this book was pretty great! I really look forward to rereading these books in the future so I can see all of the foreshadowing I'm sure is sprinkled throughout the books, which is something Rowling is notorious for.
Kaora
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-mystery
DAT ENDING!

WHY?????
Alejandro
Sadly, I felt it as a recoil in the book series.

BACKGROUND

I was quite excited to read this third novel in the Cormoran Strike book series, since I had enjoyed plenty enough, however I think that this third novel was like a retrogression in what the book series was able to accomplish and to develop so far.

The Cuckoo’s Calling was slow pacing, drifting to irrelevant sub-plots, over detailed filling scenes and repetitive situations, along with having more pages than necessary, BUT I was ada
Lindsey Rey
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015, mystery
Best one in the series yet!
Emily
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
If the first two Cormoran Strike books can be summed up as "celebrity" and "publishing" respectively, then this book is "misogynistic violence," which is possibly my least favorite subject to read about.

This is a closed circle mystery in which Robin and Strike investigate a serial killer whose past is linked to Strike. Due to the fact that there are only four real suspects that are provided by Strike - and that the killer gets his own POV sections in which you see some of the murders happen - t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike #3), Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling
Career of Evil is the third novel in the Cormoran Strike series, written by J. K. Rowling and published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. It is preceded by The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm; it will be followed by Lethal White. The novel was released on 22 October 2015 in the United Kingdom.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز دهم دسامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: رد پای شیطان - کتاب سوم؛ نویسنده: جی.کی. رولینگ (با نام مستعار:
Alex
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jesus, what a rollercoaster! I have been looking forward to this book for such a long time with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. What if this wasn't as good as the other two in the series? What if I had somehow built up the other two books in retrospect, leaving only disappointment in the third? Would I ever stop with the rhetorical questions and get on with the review?

Let me tell you: this was fucking good. Like REALLY GODDAMNED GOOD. Like I-stayed-up-way-past-my-bedtime-to-finish-th
Adina
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
Wow, I can’t believe it’s been 2 weeks since my last review. I had two hectic weeks at work and home and had no time to read and even less to review. I hope to be able to catch up with my challenge and reviews in the following days.

Career of Evil is the third volume in Cormoran Strike series and in case you did not know, written by wonderful J.K. Rowling under the pen name of Robert Galbraith. If you haven’t read the other two books do not start with this one. They are to be read in order as the
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, left with post-novel depression as Robert Galbraith has published another well-written Strike/Ellacott novel. Boy was this a wild ride! I have felt each book in this series has grabbed my attention more than the previous one and leaves me craving another.

Set in 2011 (one year after Robin has begun working for Cormoran Strike and during the time of the royal wedding), the story opens with the ramblings of a serial killer who's identity is a mystery to the reader. Robin Ellacott has b
Maxwell
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
Honestly, a bit perplexed by this one. The character development was spot on, even though I'm not necessarily a fan of where I think the relationship is going between Strike & Robin. And the mystery in the end left me kind of confused. But the writing is impeccable and diving into any of Rowling's books feels like going home. I just can't get enough of her stories. This is more like a 3.5 stars but I'll round it up to 4 because I still thoroughly enjoyed it. ...more
Paromjit
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an intense, atmospheric and compelling addition to the Cormoran Strike series. Where it really excels is in characterisation with in depth backstories of Cormoran and his history with the three main suspects in this story and his relationship with Shanker, his offbeat and eccentric friend. Robin's traumatic history is revealed, as is the reason why working as a PI is so heartbreakingly important to her. She comes across as emotionally fragile, compassionate, tenacious and highly skilled ...more
Ricky
Seeing the blurb for this book made me have this reaction:

Reading this book made me have this reaction:

In some ways, this book was less intense than the impossibly disgusting, Hannibal-level grossness of The Silkworm. On the other hand, Galbraith's third benefits from taking a look into the dark personal histories of both Strike and Robin - specifically, the fact that they both have violent crime in their pasts - because it helps us, the readers, know a little more about why they're in this line
Helene Jeppesen
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, and despite its size of 500 pages I read it in merely two days. Robert Galbraith, aka J. K. Rowling, seems to be the only author that can make me truly interested in crime stories, because normally they bore me as well as frustrate me (I can never seem to guess who the murderer is).
Reading this third book in the Cormoran Strike series felt like coming home. I felt safe among some of my favourite characters, Robin and Strike, and because of them I read most of this book wi
Paula
Career of Evil, the 3rd book in the Cormoran Strike series by J.K. Rowling is terrific and a favorite series of mine. This book did not disappoint. A little different in that Cormoran is not hired, but on a self-made journey with his partner, Robin Ellacott, to find a killer.

When a body part arrives for Robin at the office, the two of them set off to look at three men from Strike's past: his stepfather and two ex-soldiers, one a pedophile. Quite a gruesome trail is followed.

I really enjoyed the
Andrew Smith
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A package delivered to a private investigator’s office in London contains the severed leg of a woman. Who sent this, and why? A note contained in the package that appears to be an extract from the lyrics of a song by the rock band the Blue Oyster Cult might offer a clue. The investigator, Cormoran Strike, is upset that his female partner was exposed to such a brutal discovery – for it was she the package was addressed to – but he thinks he can boil the list of perpetrators down to one of four me ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sale Alert: Kindle Daily Deal May 24, 2020 $4.99

3.5 Fish and Crisps Stars

I really do enjoy the gumshoe investigation stories that are The Cormoran Strike series. In this particular installment I enjoyed the actual case more than in the other two stories for a few reasons. One is that the nature of this case is more personal. It all begins right off when Robin is sent a leg in the mail. I don’t think it gets more personal than that and to our surprise Cormoran can think of about 4 people from hi
Matthew
3.5 to 4 Stars

Enjoyable and creepy. Lots of shocking detail and action.

However, with all of the Cormoran Strike mysteries - I have always found that around 75% through the resolution it falls a bit flat. In each I was like, oh, here we are at the end and this is what happened. Okay, I guess . . .

I will keep reading this series because I enjoy the characters and the details, but I hope it the future to be surprised and excited by the ending.
shakespeareandspice
Despite the fact that I love and adore Rowling for Harry Potter stories, I am disappointed to find, as an adult, how formulaic and simplistic her writing has become.

Career of Evil takes a darker turn to the first two novels in the Cormoran Strike series, and while I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this sudden change of atmosphere, the novel overall is a major disappointment. The likability of the series already hinges on the characters and the need to know what happens with them, but this b
Phrynne
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to picking up a book by J.K. Rowling. From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone through to this current novel she has never put a foot wrong and I firmly believe she could write successfully in any genre. A truly talented author.
Career of Evil is the third in a series which hopefully will be a long one! The two main characters, Stryke and Robin, are wonderful and the trials and tribulations of their relationship are handled beautifully, to the point where this reader at le
megs_bookrack
I am so torn with this one.

It was nowhere near as good as the first two books in the series, in my most humble of opinions.

Something about the entire thing just didn't sit right with me. The mystery element, what we were trying to solve, it wasn't intriguing.

My biggest take away was how much more we learned about Robin and Strike's backstory. That aspect, I did enjoy.

With this being said, however, I was disappointed with Robin in this one. Normally, I love her, but she seemed so whiney and I
Barbara

This is the third book in Robert Galbraith's (aka J.K. Rowling) series about grizzled private detective Cormoran Strike, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan who lost his leg during the hostilities, and his pretty, strawberry blonde partner Robin Ellacott.

As the story opens Strike and Robin are working on a couple of cases and getting on with their private lives: Strike is dating beautiful (almost) divorcée Elin.

And Robin is planning her wedding to Matthew - a handsome but insensitive g
Kirsty
Oct 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Violent, hateful, misogynistic. And worst of all, boring.
Laurie Anderson
JK Rowling continues to astonish me. First, of course, with her Harry Potter books she created a world to which I return over and over as a delighted and bedazzled reader. Her accomplishment with that series marks her as a once-in-a-generation storyteller.

But she also writes adult mystery/crime novels under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith. And they are very, very good, especially this one, her third that follows the adventures of private detective Cormoran Strike.

I'm astonished at and gratefu
TL
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The writing in this was top notch as usual but half the time reading this felt like a chore. All the parts were there but it didn't feel the same.

There were long stretches where I was bored but still kept going because I wanted to know what would happen. I had two guesses as to who the killer was fairly early and went back and forth as to who it was as the story went on.

Robin and Strike were a great team as usual. There were some cases where I thought he should have treated Robin bette
Brenda
Book #3 in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) is another great episode which features Strike and his able assistant Robin Ellacott. It was when Robin received a strangely shaped package by courier – which she thought would be wedding paraphernalia for her upcoming nuptials with fiancé Matthew – and discovered a woman’s leg, that the business began to falter, and both Robin’s and Strike’s lives changed.

As Robin and Strike focused on finding the perpetrator, the polic
Ashley Marie
I like to think of myself as a critical reader. As such, I'm mad at myself that it took me an article with in-text references to point out the racism and transphobia in this series. Rating adjusted, and original review under the spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)
Warda
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY WORD! ROWLING, GIMME THE NEXT BOOK!!!!

Epic cliffhanger. Cruel cliffhanger! This book was everything!!!! *major heart eyes*

This instalment was definitely my favourite out of three. The character development was excellent. We explored and delved a lot more deeper into the pasts of both Strike and Robin, which was quite dark, but you can't help but love these two! Individually, they're amazing. Together, they would be even more amazing. Make it happen, Rowling!

The plot was slightly creepy an

• Career of Evil: by Robert Galbraith | Summary & Analysis
  • The Casual Vacancy
  • Broken Harbor (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)
  • The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad #5)
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad #3)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Witch Elm
  • The Word Is Murder (Hawthorne, #1)
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
  • Doctor Who: Tales from the Tardis Volume One (BBC Audio)
  • The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Lost Man
  • The Zombie Wizards of Ala-ka
This is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy.

NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.
Robert Galbraith - Marine Biologist

Rowling was born to Anne Rowling (née Volant) and Peter James Rowling, a Rolls-Royce aircraft engineer, on 31 July 1965 in Yate, Gloucestershire, England, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Bristol. Her

Cormoran Strike (5 books)
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
  • The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2)
  • Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4)
  • Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)