Start by marking “The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)

The Reluctant Duchess

(Ladies of the Manor #2)

Will Fleeing the Scottish Highlands Only Leave Her in More Danger?

Lady Rowena Kinnaird may be the heiress to a Highland earldom, but she's never felt good enough--not for her father, not for the man she thought she'd marry, not for God. But after a shocking attack, she's willing to be forever an outcast if it means escaping those threatening her life.

Brice Myerston, the Du
Published April 5th 2016 by Bethany House Publishers/Baker Publishing Group (first published March 29th 2016)

Dawn
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dawn Crandall and Julie Klassen fans
Five amazing stars... my full review! ❤

I'm going to get straight to the point and say that Roseanna White's writing is superb. This book was a delight to read from beginning to end. I liked the first book in the series, but wow... this one was amazing.

Because of the continued suspenseful thread (concerning the curse of the Fire Eyes Diamonds) that spreads throughout the series, there isn't full closure regarding everything that happens throughout the plot... but instead, the closure is all abou
Sarah Grace Grzy
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 18+ for adult themes
Just . . . Brice. Why does he have to be so amazing? I love how respectful, kind and gentle he was with Rowena, giving her her space, but not letting her distance herself too much and fall back into her self-consciousness.

I had a hard time relating\understanding Rowena a lot of the time, maybe just because I've never dealt with the issues she did.

The storyline was more focused on Brice and Rowena than the Fire eyes, which I kinda liked, but kinda didn't.

Oh, and did I mention how gorgeous that
Sarita
Rating 4.5 stars

A Dashing Gentleman, a broken Lady, a marriage of convenience and then the threat and danger of the Fire Eyes all added to a captivating read.

For the Fire Eyes story, I would recommend reading the series in order to get the full background of that as well as all the characters involved.

Brice Myerston - what a dreamy gentleman, who strives to do whatever Gods wants from him, even if it is not the most obvious or clear decisions for those close to him. Though he always strives to d
Amber Schamel
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece.
I love the way Roseanna dug deep with these characters. They felt very real.

I also loved the post-marriage romance and how it blossomed through the struggles. One of my new favorites.
Amanda Tero
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a huge romance fan, but if there's one type of romance I like, it's between a husband and wife who are learning to love each other (as opposed to unmarried people falling in love...I don't know, it's just me). Brice, being my favorite character from The Lost Heiress, was still my favorite character. I enjoyed reading how he learned to listen and his wife learned to love. It was really a sweet story.

Throughout th
Gracie
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To say Roseanna White is one of my favorite authors is probably an understatement—Every one of her books is packed with amazing storytelling, complex characters, and a thrilling journey!

...And this beautiful book is no exception! (In fact, it’s probably my most favorite of her books!)

Rowena is so broken and hurting, but getting to see her journey of faith and healing is immensely powerful!

And Brice! He is so...good! I have a lot of favorite things about him, but one of my most favorite things is
Hannah
While I didn't "love, love, love" it quite the way I did the first book (this one is more heavy on the romance), it is still a good, solid story. The focus is mainly on Rowena and Brice's hasty marriage and less on the ongoing saga of the Fire Eyes diamonds. I loved the historical feel of the setting and the well-researched Scottish flavor.

Eager indeed for book three!
Staci
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This second of the Ladies of the Manor series continues the family jewelry thread that began in the first novel. The main characters are Brice, the Duke of Nottingham, and Lady Rowena from the Scottish Highlands. It was a lovely novel and I especially enjoyed the Scottish language inserted into the book.

I look forward to the final book of the series.
Jazzy
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Love this!
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Blissful sigh.

Those two words pretty much sum up my feelings about The Reluctant Duchess by Roseanna White.

Brice Myerston, the Duke of Nottingham, is a “hero of heroes”. Charming. Godly. A man who prays. A man who listens to God. A man who rescues. A man who protects. He’s not perfect, but his flaws – few though they may be – make him all the more endearing. Rowena Kinnaird, his new duchess, is a heroine who immediately wins readers’ fierce loyalty. And then Brice’s. My heart broke for the abuse
Melanie
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10, netgalley-read
After reading and loving the first book in this series, The Lost Heiress, I truly don't know why it took me this long to read The Reluctant Duchess. I won't be making that mistake with the last book, as I've already started A Lady Unrivaled. ;)

I absolutely loved The Reluctant Duchess. It was one of those books where I did not want to stop reading and I was just captured by the story. There were some very sad/painful moments, but also ones of joy/happiness. I liked the main characters and their l
Amber Stokes
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Roseanna White is skilled at penning historical fiction! I enjoyed the Scottish elements of this particular story. The haunting setting...the clash of classes and loyalties...the interesting discussion of curses and whether or not they truly pose a threat. It's a good blend of intriguing descriptions, a compelling and varied cast of characters, and a fairly unique topic and backdrop for the genre.

The poor heroine endures some awful trials and difficult changes in this story. But the Duke of Nott
Rachel McMillan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with all Roseanna White books, the research, vernacular, verisimilitude and historical canvas are spot on.

This is an intricate plot involving the continuation of bloodlines, jewels that hold the key to heritages and familial webs. Its core is a marriage of convenience between a woman, Rowena, who could find herself out of a name and influence by the arrival of a new heir and Brice, the Lord of Nottingham.

Painted against a backdrop of severe abuse, compassion and slowly-growing love, The Relu
Kellyn Roth

When I first finished reading this book, I thought the content made it a 2 or 3 star book, but after I've thought about it a lot, and considering the fact that a lot of my Goodreads friends will not agree with me ... I don't think the content was that bad.

Yes, a girl was raped. But no real details were given and it happened pre-story. (view spoiler) Brice and Rowena both think about the marriage bed a
Rachel
Roseanna M. White is a master at weaving a dangerous mystery and a swoon worthy romance! This is an awesome second book in her Ladies of the Manor series. (There is a lot of back story in the first book so I would recommend you read that book first.)

The story of the Duke of Nottingham continues in this book. I love his character! He's a swoon worthy hero for sure! :D Although some of the character traits that have made him so well liked are now working against him. He's so well liked in fact (es
m a r y l i z
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-Read June 2019:

Ummmm . . . excuse me, Roseanna M. White. Who gave you permission to sTOMP ON MY HEART yet again??

A short review because I'm feeling lazy:

1) Brice freaking Myerston. MY HEART IS A PUDDLE. It's actually a problem that I want to marry basically all of White's male protagonists but like, I don't care? Brice's faith and gentle understanding and patience brought me near tears on multiple occasions. I want to marry a man like him. (Pssh, of course he's not fictional. Don't crush my d
Dyanna
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, spiritual
Flashlight-Book Couples

Actually rating 4.5 stars

Compared to the first in the series I gotta say this one was way better then I expected. At the beginning I was a little skeptical because of the first book and because of the Scottish dialect but little by little this book conquered me with the development of characters and the faith this character have in the Lord and especially how trusting Him may change your life forever.

Rowena is the daughter of a very strong noble clan of Scotland and all
Lyssa
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: couldnt-finish, arcs
2.5

I loved the beginning of this book so much. Having not read the first book, it was a little confusing at first, with all the nicknames and titles and changing view points. But it picked up so quickly that I found myself doing the "just one more page... chapter" dance til 2 am when I finally felt I could pause and sleep.

Things were starting to get good. I liked that the book dealt with real issues and real fears and that Rowena was honest in situations most people might plead the 5th in.

Then t
Hayden
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I didn't enjoy The Reluctant Duchess quite as much as The Lost Heiress, I still devoured it. I haven't been reading quite as many historical romances lately, which has been a very good choice for me-I find that I'm much more enjoying the ones that I do read.

One aspect of the book that I really liked was how the author treated Rowena's father. He could have easily been made into a one-sided villain or tyrant, but instead White chose to make him a more complex character. While I did grow fru
Elodie (Readable Mélange)
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

I was obsessive about Scotland from about age seven to twelve or so. And when I say obsessive, I mean obsessive. I had two kilts, a friend and I invented a ‘Highland fling’, my pretend address for playing house was Scotland Drive, and I pieced together a mock Scottish accent from books. Even though it’s been years since then, as I began reading The Reluctant Duchess and realised it was set in Scotland (it’d been on my TBR pile for so long that I’d forgotten the synopsis
Alyssa
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite of the Ladies of the Manor series. I love all the characters and the love story. The love story in this book is so beautiful and I definitely recommend this book to anyone.
Charity Andrews
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read from Roseanna M. White. In this book, she continues on with the characters from The Lost Heiress. The Duke of Nottingham is back and as brilliant as ever!! As he seeks God’s will at every turn, he is surprised by what God asks him to do next…

What a great book. It captures the good and the bad of the ton during the Edwardian era. It’s beautifully written and the characters have so much depth. God is so intertwined with this storyline that there wasn’t anywhere that had to st
Kristine Morgan
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Reluctant Duchess is the second novel in Roseanna White's Ladies Of the Manor Trilogy. We first met Brice, the Duke of Nottingham in The Lost Heiress, book one. He now has possession of the Tiger eyes, a perfect pair of red diamonds. On a trip to his lands in Scotland he is maneuvered into marrying Rowena a Chieftan's daughter. Rowena is a broken woman who was recently attacked by a young Lord who only wants her title.
The Reluctant Duchess is a tale of love and betrayal. I loved how Rowena i
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-read
Once again, Roseanna White writes a novel that holds me spellbound. Breathtaking scenery accompanies this one, in which Rowena travels from the Highlands--the only home she's ever known--to England for a marriage that's both unplanned and well-timed. Not only the scenery and the story draw you in, though; Roseanna's writing style is second to none. Sometimes I just have to sit back and take in the beauty of a passage, a paragraph, or a page.

I had the privilege of reading this book provided by th
Joleen
The Reluctant Duchess by Roseanna M. White
Time Frame: 1912
Location: Lochaber, Scotland and Nottingham, England
Main Characters:
Rowena Kinnaird: Downtrodden and abused daughter of Douglas Kinnaird
Douglas Kinnaird: Rowena's father, Earl of Lochaber
Lilias Cowan: Rowena's lady's maid and older cousin
Malcom Kinnaird: Distant cousin, rather evil.
Brice Myerston: Duke of Nottingham
Ella: Brice's sister
Brook and Justin: Brice's best friends (from The Lost Heiress)
Catherine: Also called Lady Pratt, also ev
Shannah Mauney
I am so sorry that I never picked up one of Roseanna White's books before now. She has a unique way of weaving mystery, romance, and faith into a masterful story that will keep you turning pages way past your bedtime. The Reluctant Duchess is the second book in The Ladies of the Manor series. It can be read stand alone, but there is a lot of back story you will miss so I highly recommend reading the first book in the series, The Lost Heiress (because it's JUST as fantastic as this one!). Read my ...more
Tricia Mingerink
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Original Review: I adored the first book in this series, and I loved this one just as much, if not more! While it deals with some hard themes, such as abuse and rape, it handles it very well and adds and layer of depth to this book. The characters were well done, and I literally couldn't put the book down once I started it! Thankfully, the next book just released, so I don't have to wait long for the next one!

Review after re-read: I was so excited when this book finally came out on audiobook! Li
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Lady Rowena Kinnaird may be the heiress to a Highland earldom, but she has never felt good enough—not for her father, not for the man she thought she’d marry, not for God. But after a shocking attack, she’s willing to be forever an outcast if it means escaping Loch Morar and the men who have jeopardized her life.
Brice Myerston, the Duke of Nottingham, has suddenly found himself in possession of a rare treasure his enemies are prepared to kill for. While Brice has never been one

I enjoyed this one but not as much as the first book of the series. This one was well conceived and the H was so wonderful, but the story was just too sad for me.

I enjoyed the writing, the multiple povs, seeing the MCs from the previous book, the continued mystery of the Fire Eyes, the struggle the MCs endured, and most of all the message that God is always present. The transformation that the h underwent is realistic and heartbreaking and the complex characters were a joy to read. The author s
Fiction Aficionado
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The short take
This book has just earned a place as one of my all-time favourite historical romances. It is beautifully written and richly characterized. Just allow yourself to become immersed in the story and be prepared to totally fall in love with the hero!

Full review
I soooo did not want this book to end. It has earned a place as one of my all-time favourite historical romances – for the writing, the plot, the characters, and because it was so much more than just a romance. It really deserves
The Reluctant Duchess Celebration Tour 1 4 Apr 14, 2016 01:55PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 18, 2015 07:19PM

• The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #3)
  • An Elegant Façade (Hawthorne House, #2)
  • Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • With Every Breath
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Fire and Ice (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2)
  • Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey, #2)
  • Heart's Journey
Roseanna M. White is a bestselling, Christy Award nominated author who has long claimed that words are the air she breathes. When not writing fiction, she’s homeschooling her two kids, editing, designing book covers, and pretending her house will clean itself. Roseanna is the author of a slew of historical novels that span several continents and thousands of years. Spies and war and mayhem always ...more

Ladies of the Manor (3 books)
  • The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor, #1)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)