Start by marking “Georgian & Regency Houses Explained” as Want to Read:
Georgian & Regency Houses Explained

Georgian & Regency Houses Explained

The Georgian and Regency house conjures up a distinct and much admired image. Elegance, refinement and beautiful proportions have made this period an inspiration for later architects and a popular choice for today's house buyer. Using his own drawings, diagrams and photographs, author Trevor Yorke explains all aspects of the Georgian and Regency house and provides a compre ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Countryside Books (GB)

To ask other readers questions about Georgian & Regency Houses Explained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgian & Regency Houses Explained

Start your review of Georgian & Regency Houses Explained
Nick Imrie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent little book - it does exactly what it says on the tin, so I'm having a tough time thinking of anything worthwhile to say about it.

There are some lovely diagrams of the buildings, pointing out all the typical features and naming them, and then a wonderful collection of photos showing all the details. These are black and white, but mostly still very clear.

The best part for me was the diagrams showing typical layouts and room use, especially when thinking about servants quarter
V
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
All I know about architecture and what goes into building a house I learned working at the Home Depot for a couple years and casually sometimes watching home improvement shows but I still found this book easy to understand. I like how it's organized with history of the time period, explanation of the outside of the house, explanation of the inside of the house, and then back of the house. It goes space by space room by room. Quick read and very informative. I imagine if I actually lived in Engla ...more
Erika
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the pictures and diagrams of house layouts. A lot of information was packed into this thin book, making it easy to read and informative. I liked the combination of lifestyle facts, history, architecture, and interior design. I am already reading the next in the series, about Victorian homes.
Anne Morgan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting and informative, quick look at houses of the Georgian and Regency period in England. I wish the illustrations were a little larger since they are quite detailed and interesting. Photographs are also included to help identify specific features. A good reference for those researching, writing about, or reading about, these time periods.
MeltingPenguins
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good. Though somehow it seems less organized than the volume for victorian houses.
Helen
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very informative.
Nicki Markus
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
This is not the most riveting of books, but it does contain some interesting information that will be of use to me as I write my new book set in a Regency house.

The information on facades and layout of the rooms was pretty good, but I had hoped for a little more on the furniture, too, which the book didn't really go into, so I will have to look elsewhere for that knowledge.

Still, it was worth the money I paid for it and is an interesting and useful resource for anyone interested in the architect
K.M. Weiland
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed this book as a research tool, fully expecting it to be dry reading. Happy surprise! This is a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes of the intimate daily lives of centuries-old England. I'd go so far as to see it's a must-read for anyone researching the period and wanting to gain crucial facts for writing about it. The author covers architectural styles, building materials, interior decorating, and room-by-room discussions of urban and country homes.
Mary Robinette Kowal
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was incredibly detailed and helpful. While the volume is quite slim, there is no wasted space in it. Mr. Yorke not only discusses the architecture, but also the social conditions that led to the adoption of various building practices.

If you are a writer working in the Georgian or Regency periods, this is absolutely a must read.
Judith
This book is essential for anyone writing fiction set in these periods. It is well-illustrated with clear B&W photographs, plans, and layouts of houses and rooms. It is a superb guide to anyone renovating their Regency house, ...more
Jillian Leigh
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent research tool. It details the architectural styles of Georgian houses, with illustrations, and does a creditable job of discussing rooms and fittings (although not in the same detail).
Vic
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Informative and to the point. I like it more than thicker books on the topic, for Mr. Yorke is able to discuss a complex topic in an interesting, informative and organized way.
Jennie Goutet
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book - very complete and it goes beyond the actual architecture and furniture and includes some history and customs of the period.
Eva
May 26, 2020
Kathleen
Dec 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
  • The Pursuit of Love (Radlett & Montdore, #1)
  • Mars Spaceship (All About Mars): A Space Book for Kids (Solar System and Planets for Children)
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • A Summer for Scandal (Arroyo Blanco, 1)
  • Pandemic Survival: It's Why You're Alive
  • Come Drink With Me
  • Henry the Seventh (Albion Monarchs)
  • You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington
  • Dessert First: Preparing for Death While Savoring Life
  • Ride: A Novella
  • The Holes Around Mars
  • The Toymaker's Hoard (Trice City Lovers #2)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Love Tokens
  • Poems  Letters of Emily Dickinson
  • Gilgamesh (Signed Limited Edition)
  • Love in a Cold Climate (Radlett & Montdore, #2)

News & Interviews