Start by marking “One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  811 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Who would you be if you felt at peace and had more time and money? An organized life enables you to have more freedom, less aggravation, better health, and to get more done. For nearly twenty years, Regina Leeds-named Best Organizer by Los Angeles magazine-has helped even the messiest turn their lives around. Anyone can get organized-she’ll prove it to you! One Year to an ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published December 31st 2007)

Anne-Marie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: where-i-stay
I was sick when I read this so perhaps I didn't give it much of a chance. However, it was the same advice in a different book. But it had Ducks in a Row on the front cover! And that is how I want my ducks! So I bought it!

I prefer to sit and read organizational books in my messy, unorganized home rather than actually getting up off my ass to do something about it. It’s like reading a weight loss manual while eating Cool Ranch Doritos and chugging Dr. Pepper.

The thing is, I used to be super clean
Jennifer Miera
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the disorganized masses
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Can't say that the author had a particularly new slant to the whole organization thing, though I did pick up a tip or two on filing. The organization of the book (dividing it up into 12 months) was original, but didn't really seem to work as a concept. Basically, it comes down to 1. Get rid of things you don't use or for which you don't have an immediate need. 2. Think about how you use your space and organize accordingly. 3. Find a system that works for you and maintain it.
If you are completel
Maria Turley
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so easy to read and so easy to follow, that if you can take some of Regina's tips and apply them to your own situation, you will be on the way to organizing your space and your life. She breaks down tasks into ways that make sense and make them manageable. I love Regina's conversational style - reading her books is like talking to the woman herself, and she is the kind of person you will want to have as a friend. She also asks you to dig a little deeper inside yourself to discover p ...more
Shevonne
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who dont know about time management and organization
Recommended to Shevonne by: No One
This book is really good for someone who doesn't have any clue how to organize their household. However, I have read tons of books on time management and organization, so I didn't learn much from this book. Being that I know tons on the subject, I think this book is great for people who don't know much. It gives you wonderful tips in a way that will make you slowly become a time management and organization guru. If your house is a mess, then this is the book to pick up.
Rose
Not very much to say about this guide in that it's a standard organizational book that tackles rooms in the home one at a time, with a proposal of getting organized completely within a year's time and having fun in the process of keeping to those habits. I listened to the audiobook version of the book and actually rather liked it, but found that it didn't apply to me but in spurts. This is definitely a guide for those who want to manage their time and organization - and have families and their o ...more
Frances
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is a trend among books like this and, I'm not knocking it I just wish they were more upfront about it.

This book has some good advice but, even though it pretends otherwise, it is written for Gen X/Baby Boomer middle Americans with maybe 2 kids, a very traditional family set up and a 3 bedroom detached house with a garage. I'm sure there are people who fit that description for whom it really works but I wish it had mentioned it more in the description so I could have skipped a whole lot of
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
"Why do YOU need to read a book about getting organized?" asked my husband, which was gratifying. But I got a lot out of Leeds' approach, especially when it comes to big projects (like cleaning out a garage, or moving house). She and I part ways on some things -- I wish she'd included one's local historical society as a possible donation site (she threw out all her mother's grade-school notebooks!) -- but overall her advice is sound and her approach appropriately upbeat. I borrowed this from the ...more
Jen B
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
The idea behind Regina Leeds' book is that you break down each area of your house month by month and devote the entire month to reorganizing it. At the end of the year, voila, your life is completely organized. Since I only had the book for two weeks from the library, that wasn't going to work -- so I read the whole thing and took the tips I needed...and I think I can accomplish a lot of what Leeds writes about in much less than a year.

Her method of thinking about organizing is a good one, and i
Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: organization
I like the author's overall plan. Instead of becoming an Organized Person in one fell swoop (and burning out in the process), Leeds has you tackle one area per month and breaks each month down into a week-by-week plan. Sometimes this is an area of your house, such as tackling the kitchen in January or the bathroom in April. Other times, you reorganize an area of activity: in August, learn to plan a move; in November, plan Thanksgiving dinner (and how to throw parties in general).

Unfortunately, I
David
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I have discovered this about myself. I enjoy reading "how to get organized" books. I have spent most of my whole life trying to get organized. I have variously successful at this at different times.

It would be fun to try this for a year. The reader is given 12 different projects to do. Four sub tasks exist in each task. Each task begins with a journaling exercise about you and the particular task topic.

The setup of this book fits right into my sense of ordering or attempt there to. But I know2
E
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Week-by-week detailed steps for organizing your life

Regina Leeds starts with your mother’s philosophy: There’s a place for everything. She provides all the details you need week-by-week and month-by-month to help you stop searching for keys and remote controls, and quit wondering when your dental appointment is. With her help, you can change from time-wasting time mode to “just do it” mode. The weekly organizational activities on her agenda range from one hour to a full day, though she rarely as
Angela
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting book. It takes organizing your life and your home and breaks it down into 12 one month programs for you to work with. I haven't been able to do some of the suggested things yet because of life complications, but I am still referencing it to help me get organized and be organized. When we are organized, we have more time to do the things we enjoy, instead of spending 2 hours looking for car keys we lost, or library books that are overdue and missing in action. I would rath ...more
Linda
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-better-me
I like to be organized but no matter what I do after I clean, I still find myself once again creating piles and making my house look messy!

This book has a breakdown, room by room for organizing. Each chapter has lots of tips and ideas. Leeds says readers shouldn't try to do it all at once and that when working on organizing we should reward ourselves when we complete a task

I am planning to go room by room, one a month, to clean and organize. Once done, I plan on working very hard too keep it cle
Desiree
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to be organized
This book is great! It is supposed to take you a year to read because it is written by months and weeks. It gives step by step directions and tips and goes room by room. At the beginning of every month you are supposed to answer her "journal" questions and write them down, so it takes effort for the reader to really get organized. I have to warn you though, it gives great suggestions and makes you want to buy a ton of organizing tools, but I think it is totally worth it.
Sandra
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked this so much that I ordered my own copy to read and reference back as I become "organized" this year. I like that it breaks up the areas in my house into easily manageable tasks to do every week. I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed as I do when I embark on this same clean out project every January. Here's hoping to a more organized life and home.
Trisha
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is an excellent book to read every month to organize one room or area at a time. I skipped through some chapters that dealt with young families . Excellent chapter on moving organizing Christmas and thanksgiving. Highly reccommend.
Dracolibris
I've read through this book enough to know that I need to return the library's copy and order my own copy. We will be doing our best to follow the steps outlined in this book in 2013. Wishing myself luck!
Jamie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it one month at a time, like suggested. I'm pretty organized already, but this had some great tips about what to let go and how to organize room by room. I like breaking it up into manageable pieces too.
Maryc Cody
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book has really helped me to organize my home and life. I have read through most of it except the chapter on moving, which I do not plan on doing in the near future.
Really great ideas for staying on top of tasks.
Janis
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it

This is a great book - I have worked on it now for 2 years. I always thought I was pretty organized, but this book gave some great ideas about the small things in my home...and life...that always bothered me!
Mo
Jan 16, 2008 marked it as to-read
I ordered this book from Barnes & Noble in early January and it has still not arrived! When I went into the store, they said it was sold out in the entire DC metro area. I cannot wait until this book arrives. My New Years' Resolution is to get myself organized to save my sanity.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I really like the approach to this book. Every month there is a different room or area to work on. Each week of the month is divided into certain tasks that pertain to the room or area you are working on. It doesn't feel so overwhelming and you can start anywhere you would like.
Lisa H
Apr 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
I'm not particularly into self-help books, but if this helps me get organized, I'm all for it. I've already cleaned out a LOT of junk that was cluttering my house and my well-being!
Hanje Richards
I found some pretty good information and some inspiration in this book. It's all part of a process, right? So...it was a few more steps along my path.
Rebecca Ferres
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have used this book for years. It has helped me tremendously
Allison
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've recently been through quite a few books on organization/clutter control and this one was a standout.
Jenna
Jan 17, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: genealogy-reads
I am learning that I need to do little chunks of organizing. The house did not get messy in a day & it won't get clean in a day either. Twenty years of stuff is getting pared way down.
Ezekiel
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started out fine and I got good advices, her concept was okay, but in the end most of it was just impractical and silly. It's hard to try and finish this book.

First of all, if you need to buy organizers to organize all of your crap... you just have too much stuff! Most of her advice is common sense. I think it'll be more useful to read a book about habit in order to fix bad organizing habits.

My advice is to read first few chapters and get the useful bits of information like why you cling to
Jes
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of helpful tools to organize your life. I particularly appreciated it as I was unpacking my house when I started and I feel as though this book helped guide me through that process of making myself lean in stuff and finding homes for that stuff in my house. I also highly recommend this to anyone in the process of moving. It'll be worth skipping to the Moving month to get your things in order. Overall a great resource. I'll probably end up buying it.
Kelly
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book is a bit dated and the journaling part was not of interest to me, I thought it had some practical, easy to apply ideas and a lot of her organizing ideas are timeless. I like reading these types of books as they motivate me to make time in my busy schedule to prioritize clearing out things we don't need and organizing those we do. I can never seem to stay on top of all the clutter that my family and our busy schedule create despite my very best efforts!!
  • Organize Now!: A Week-by-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain  Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You
  • Secrets of Simplicity
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • Absolutely Organized: A Mom's Guide to a No-Stress Schedule and Clutter-Free Home
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
Professional Organizer. New York Times best selling author of 9 books. Speaker.
More about Regina Leeds...