Start by marking “211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do” as Want to Read:
211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do

211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do

Anything boys can do, girls can do better.

The hysterical, cheeky, female counterpart to the smash hit 211 Things a Bright Boy Can Do.

If you’ve ever wanted to walk on stilts, make sloe gin, ride an ostrich, or forecast the weather like your grandmother used to, this is the book you’ve been waiting for.

This surprisingly handy and delightfully amusing guide includes instructi
Published May 6th 2008 by TarcherPerigee (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do

Sophie Crane
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-in-h-f
Bunty Butler has compiled a list of skills every clever girl should know. Some are completely out in left field, others are rather tongue in cheek everyday hacks and still others are very useful.

To begin, this book is certainly not a book for younger girls. There is a chapter on how to seduce a man and several on how to make cocktails. This is for the grown up girl. Some of these tips are very interesting and a delight like how to ride an ostrich, how to ride a horse bareback. Will most women ev
Andy
May 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: an advertising department
Do you think Bunty Cutler is a real person?

NO, I am convinced. This book sounds to me like the product of a publisher's marketing department. No picture anywhere, no interviews, no author website, a fictional bio, a supposed brother who, conveniently, also writes a best-seller... Come on!!!

I can just picture a production team combing ehow.com for fun questions and slapping these books together.
Incidentally, the copyright page of my book reads Bunty Butler (not Cutler!) A clue that they couldn't
Jared Della Rocca
A very quirky read. I don't know how often I'll find myself riding an ostrich, but somewhere in all of human history at least ONE person must have escaped danger on an ostrich. And if I'm going to be #2, after reading this book I'll be well-prepared. Of course, not all the tips were as helpful as how to ride an ostrich. I pray I'll never find myself doing my own Brazilian wax, but surviving an airplane crash or getting away from a hive of bees are CERTAINLY helpful! More seriously, these and the ...more
Bert
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
This is a nice informative, yet tongue in cheek, follow up to 211 Clever Things Boys Can Do. It is written by the female persona of the original author. If nothing else, it gave me a quick chuckle and some fun items to add to bucket list.
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: england, non-fiction
Trying to be funny but is really a silly thing full of silly things. Maybe I am just too old?
Abigail
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
More amusing than helpful.
Alanna Fowler
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually really funny and surprisingly has some really useful information
Yaaresse
This was my "easy to pick-up/put-down" read for February, a little fun to break up all the serious stuff I was reading.

It's clearly meant to be amusing and quirky, so I'm amused by all the vitriolic negative reviews. At the same time, there was some surprisingly accurate information included. I would never build an indoor fire using coal because I have this thing about not getting black lung, but the people certainly did for ages. I have built may outdoor fires using coal, courtesy of my brief
Aimee Hyndman
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Juli Hoffman
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and Informative

From advice on how to change a flat tire to advice on how to Feng Shui a boyfriend out of a studio apartment, this book is both witty a fun. For some reason, I kept imagining the woman from the Poo Potpourri commercial giving the advice, the author's voice is similar, adding to the fun and charm.

This book is more for entertainment purposes than detailed information, although I did learn a few things. It is not a children's book. It is written with adults in mind. This bo
Heather
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun, non-fiction
This is a clever little book. Lots of great ideas- some more than others. I did think it was a funny addition to add 'how to build a log cabin- abe lincoln style' as one of the clever things to do. I don't think I am going to try that one or use my panty hose to make homemade cheese (cheese strainer) but it's a great use! This is a fun read and you might actually learn something- like how to descend a spiral staircase in 6 inch stilletto heels. Yep, that's in there. Clever writing with some wit ...more
Karina1818
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autumn-reads
This was quick and easy to read. I felt like most things that were written in there as things to do were outdated for the current time. It was also due to the tips and advice that it had (as it could have been advice for women in Britain in the 50s or 60s) the potrayal of women at that time as overall being housewifes and women which were there only for the pleasure of men. It annoyed me that in this book they were trying to potray women as actually being independent and badass while they actual ...more
Carol
May 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My version is titled: Das Lieblings buch aller Frauen

I was excited to find an easyish-to-read book in german, that i actually understood the humor. Ok, then I looked at the title page and realized it was written by an American, and she must be southern, with a name like Bunty Cutler. So far, the tips are not really useful, but are really funny!

Ok, it's in German, and i didn't finish the book.
Talia
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adultnon-fic
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. This is an adult version of "Daring Book for Girls", where we are taught 211 handy tricks. From the useful (how to replace an electrical socket, how to get out of a car without flashing everyone), to the pointless (how to make a little black dress out of a garbage bag, how to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel), to the just plain fun ones (how to walk on stilts, how to make Turkish Delight)!
Cher
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This truly is a book on how to do various things, such as light a fireplae fire, cut the line in the ladies room, or reject an unwanted suitor. Some are absolutely hysterical, some are just wonderfully practical. Laugh your way into DIY genius! I love this book. It's not really one you can ever finish, as you need to go back and look items up.
Lily
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
It had it's funny how-to moments, for instance the 'understanding the zodiac' and 'perfuming a room in 10 seconds'. There were other purely informative how-tos in the book as well, such as cooking. However, I only wanted to read this book for the hilarity, so the informative was uninteresting to me.
rebecca
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to rebecca by: a borders display
i feel like this should get a 4.5. there are probably even more useful things to learn in order to be clever. and some of those things weren't that clever they were just weird. soooo funny though!
Franziska Borrmann
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best book i've ever gotten as a present. Even if some things are just impossible to do (or not that current) it is brillantly written and really humouros. I enjoy reading this book over and over again.
Ophélie
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Funny, unusual and entertaining, a very nice book for light reading.
Sam
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, useful yet funny this is a brilliant must have book for all girls/women/ladies
Kelly
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Some interesting ideas but mostly not applicable (identifying british wildflowers or braiding a horse's hair) or out of date.
Jane
May 13, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Mary Steele
I just kept thinking of the lovely Meghan B. when I was reading this.
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was hilarious and sarcastic! Definitely one of my favorites.
Vanessa Werkelwut
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
witty, funny and comes in handy from time to time
Katie
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and even actually quite useful!
Tamia
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was surprisingly informational. I am now capable of many weird things. This book was hilarious, with the chic narrator and useful, sometimes awkward information.
Cam Tu
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Taught me how to build a log cabin by myself. Can't wait to get started.
Manda
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was ok, I don't remember much about it. Not the best girl guide I have read.
Marie
not entirely certain what I make of this book..
Margrét
Sep 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
No, just no. I didn't read all of it, but I read enough.

• 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects: and Other Stuff
  • The Shabby Chic Home
  • People I Wanted to Be
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • Writing a Novel and Getting Published for Dummies
  • The Funniest Thing You Never Said: The Ultimate Collection of Humorous Quotations
  • Pioneers of Psychology