Start by marking “The Ghost and the Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Ghost and the Darkness

The Ghost and the Darkness

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Based on the true story, The Man-Eaters of Tsavo, this novelization tells the story of two renowned hunters' attempts to track and kill a pair of man-eating lions--one ghostly white, the other black as night--who terrorized workers building a bridge in the heart of Africa's wildlands in 1888. The Paramount Pictures film set in Africa stars Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer.
Published October 1st 1996 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost and the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost and the Darkness

~☆~Autumn♥♥
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I only watched the movie which was terrifying! These lions were very smart. The date we watched the movie is a guess but I believe we own the video!
Sultanaz514
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The ghost and the Darkness it's a really scary true story, it is about two lions (man-eaters) and Lieutenant-Colonel John Henry Patterson, he was an Irish soldier. Patterson was commissioned by the British East Africa Company to oversee the construction of a railway bridge over the Tsavo river in Kenya. When he reached Tsavo he heared about man eaters. The lions were called the ghost and the darkness because those lions killed many people in Tsavo , people tried many times to kill the man eaters ...more
P.S. Winn
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story and then to know this really happened makes the hair stand on end. I love the characters and the setting for this book. The author does a great job bringing this story and the lions to life. I also watched the movie and found it to almost do the book justice.
Tim Painter
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-life
This was a great book. It reads like a good novel but is a true story.

The Ghost and the Darkness are the names the native africans gave to two lions that were terrorizing the railroad builders in the late 19th century. Several attempts to kill and capture the lions failed. An incredible story.
Indah Threez Lestari
560th - 2011

Film ini diangkat dari kisah nyata, berdasarkan buku "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" yang disusun Letkol John Henry Patterson--insinyur berkebangsaan Inggris yang membunuh kedua singa pemakan manusia itu--yang dalam film diperankan oleh Val Kilmer.

Tapi dasar Hollywood, barangkali kurang oke kalau jagoannya cuma ada satu, orang Inggris lagi, maka diciptakanlah tokoh fiktif pemburu berkebangsaan Amerika bernama Remington--diperankan oleh Michael Douglas--yang dalam film sempat membunuh The G
Alyssa
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alyssa by: Teacher
This book is both terrifying and amazing. It was a personal favourite of a former teacher and he read it to the class both years I was his pupil. This story is a perfect example of how reality is often scarier than fiction. It is most definately a page-turner. Every time I read this book I still find myself glued to the edge of my seat reading (with all the lights on in the house to scare away any stray lions). I would highly recomend this book.
Ashley
Apr 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "A watcher looking down on The City - the business district in the heart of London - on a rainy night that winter would have seen a quarter bustling under the civilizing influence of electric lamps, thronging with commercial men buzzing on errands aimed at improving their lot and the lot of mankind."

LS: "And even now, after they have been dead a century, if you dare to lock eyes with them, you will be afraid. Sleep well."
Jeff
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A riveting tale based on a true story. The Tsavo lions were on display at the Chicago Museum of Natural History (Field Museum) when I was there in 1983. I intend to revisit this book again.
Amir
Mar 27, 2013
Robert M Duffey
Jan 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Case of the Sea World Adventure (The Adventures of Mary Kate and Ashley, #1)
  • Chase
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Botswana
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Beast
  • Hulk
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (The Junior Novelization)
  • Journey Outside
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (The Junior Novelization)
  • Raptor
  • Storm Warriors
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • Cry Freedom: A Story of Friendship
  • Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #11)
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • City of Gold (Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow, #7)
  • Along Came a Dog

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99