Start by marking “Ink and Shadows” as Want to Read:
Ink and Shadows

Ink and Shadows

Kismet Andreas lives in fear of the shadows.

For the young tattoo artist, the shadows hold more than darkness. He is certain of his insanity because the dark holds creatures and crawling things only he can see—monsters who hunt out the weak to eat their minds and souls, leaving behind only empty husks and despair.

And if there’s one thing Kismet fears more than being hunted—
Published July 7th 2015 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Ink and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ink and Shadows

Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

Having already read two Rhys Ford stories, I knew I was going to enjoy her first novel in a new urban fantasy series. I expected complex and believable characters, frenetic pacing, and a unique storyline. While the story mostly met my expectations, there were a lot of flaws that were difficult for me to overlook.

First, the pacing could have been more consistent. There was so much exposition in parts of the story that slowed my reading down en
* A Reader Obsessed *
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to * A Reader Obsessed * by: Shin Mon Thway
3.5 Stars

Having now read 27 Rhys Ford stories, I’ve discovered that I slightly prefer her fantasy over contemporary, and this was no different.

Commence rich world building with tortured characters, gory violence, self serving greed, and heinous monsters whose only purpose is to kill - all of which make for an enticing read.

Here, humans live unknowingly protected by the Four Horsemen, from the evil that lurks just behind the veil, always pressing its advantage to wreak havoc by any means possibl
Jenni Lea
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

A new series from Rhys Ford?!?!?!?!?

*gets spoon ready*
Emily
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC to read from Rhys. I was warned it wasn't a romance and you know what?

I went into the book excited because..................Rhys Ford.

She was right. There is no romance in this book. It is pure Urban Fantasy. And this is usually not my genre of choice. I will admit this. But her words captured me from the first page and I was completely enamored into the story.

Right away we start with this:

And then the rest of the story is:

and I felt like this most of the time:

a
Karen
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was different...

Full Disclosure here...I listened to this audio book for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only...1. it was written by Rhys Ford & 2. it's narrated by Greg Tremblay because I'm telling you this is so much 'NOT' my type of book but...Rhys Ford? Really, there's no way I was going to never read/listen to this story. I admit I've owned the book for a while but...damn when I saw it on audio, well...willpower I has none. Thank heavens because I loved it...I really and seriously lov
Jewel
ARC of Ink and Shadows provided by the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. This review has been cross-posted at Reviews by Jessewave.

First, I need to say that Ink and Shadows is not a romance. Though we see the beginnings of a relationship between Death/Shi and War/Ari, we only see a hint of one between Pestilence/Mal and Kismet. There is no sex at all. The story focuses completely on the Horsemen solving the mystery of the Veil thinning and breaking and how Kismet plays
Jilrene
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy and myth lovers
ETA: link to my review Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends

I'm writing a review for Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends. I'll add a link when it's available.

4.5 immortal stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Highly recommend!
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

There is something I don't like to admit about myself. I get scared and startled easily.

wuss

Yes, I am a wuss. I turn into a quivering pile of shuddering terror around horror stories. It's true. I get nightmares easily and figure, hey! No reason to bring that shit to my playground, right? So I avoid horror movies and books whenever I can. Which is most of the time.

When I was offered Ink and Shadows for review I did read the blurb, but what I was thinking was "Rhys Ford and Greg Tremblay together? Win
Meep
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of dark, creepy imagery. Ford can clearly do horror. Not sure I'd want to sit in the dark and listen to this one!

A little confusing at times as its sets up a new verse, could be a lack of focus on my part - do feel I need to re-read to get to grips with it. Veil and shadow worlds wrapped around human reality is a tricksy concept to grasp.

Not a romance, yet, though the groundwork is here for two of them; this is the start of a series and I think my opinion of it will be set more by reading t
Mary
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not a romance, it's an epic adventure. These are the four horsemen of the apocalypse but completely reimagined in how they work, why, their parts to play in the universe and who they are as beings away from the tasks they perform. There's simmering, erotically charged sexual tension between War and Death and the whole will they, won't they, "let's not mess up our friendship and of course there's the world to consider", was amazing. Death was my favorite, he's the leader, the soul of the ...more
Em
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Death selected a ripe orange from the fruit bowl, hitching himself farther back onto the kitchen counter, the marble cold under him, even through the thickness of the low-slung cotton pants he'd tugged on after his workout.

You usually get a feeling for how things are going to go with a new book by the first few pages, but I knew from the very first sentence that I was going to enjoy this book. It was absolutely epic, a really interesting and fast paced story, great world-building and fascinati
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Solid writing from Rhys Ford. I love her writing style. I think this is the lowest rating I've given one of her books. Well it's not the writing or the story, it was me. I could not get into it, and I'm sad that I wasn't able to grasp it like I would have liked to. I went into this book knowing UF is not really my thing. I liked a lot of the story. I loved the introductions of all the characters. I liked the religious aspects of some of it. I wish the world building and I would have got
M'rella
UPDATE:
While reading the length of this book, one star. <----- That pretty much sums up the state of editing in this book. Hence the rating.

==================

I was sooooo looking froward to this book! This is pre-Kai Gracen universe, I was told. But the moment I dug in.... *sigh* I expected horror elements, of course, but not like this :/

This is a horror, alright. This. Is. Frigging terrible. Who "edited" this book? They really need to be fired. Like 3 years ago. Before this mess came out :
Susan
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read
When Rhys offered me an advanced copy of Ink And Shadows, I was excited...and terrified. Urban Fantasy and I do not get along well at all. Honestly because I do not have the patience for complex world building.

My fears were groundless. I got caught up in what was happening right from the first page. By the time I realized that yes, there was world building going on, I was already so invested in the characters that there was no time to be bored. I wish more UF books were structured like this.

The
Trio
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mm
Another perfectly written work by Rhys Ford. This author really knows how to craft a paragraph and lets the story evolve through poetry and pacing.

Having just finished the book I'm overwhelmed...
Melissa
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
I read the blurb for this but I did not know it was not a "romance" but was paranormal fantasy. But there are love connections in this book. Two in fact and they could be the makings of some very hot scenes in the future. The world building was incredible. But what do you expect, it's Rhys Ford! It was a dark book with very interesting characters.

The biblical references were there as actual people.
The Four Hoursemen
Faith
Hope
Charity
Peace
But they don't act the way you think they would. And they
Christina
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I usually write my reviews immediately after reading so that I don’t forget anything. This isn’t the case with this one. I’ve had to sleep on this, just to make sure that I’m giving it the proper rating and review.

You see, typically, I hate too much detail in a story. It drives me nuts. Just get to it and let MY imagination take me there. Well…I had to trust the author to not only develop my imagination, but keep interested throughout this book. Yes, it’s an Urban Fantasy. Yes, it’s M/M Romance
Bev
 photo reviewing_audiobooks_icon_zpsfdtqfy0w.jpg

4.25 stars from me. Great start to a new fantasy series by Rhys, based on the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Took me a while to get into it I have to admit, there's a helluva lot to take in but once I'd gotten hooked, there was no stopping me and unbelievably, for a Rhys Ford series, there was no sex whatsoever!! Loads of world building, character development and typically wonderful writing. Greg's narration was superb as usual, and his British/French accents were kickass!!

I loved the Horsemen [
Lori
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, bmbr-reads
Amazing. Review soon at BMBR.
Veronica of V's Reads
This is the first book in a new Urban Fantasy series with several gay lead characters, but romance is barely part of the story, if at all, so do not expect it.

The Four Horsemen, Death, War, Pestilence and Famine are immortals who live on earth, hidden behind the Veil which shrouds the Fae, Darkfae and other immortals, like the Vitues: Faith Charity, Peace and Hope (among others like Gluttony, Lust and Luck...) from the sight of mortals. Except crazies and seers can sometimes see them. Kismet is
FantasyLiving
4.5 Hearts

Kismet lives day to day, trying to survive the things that stir in his mind, ward off the monsters that lurk in the shadows, and come to him when he is alone, encroaching on his mind, and sending him closer to madness. Only the sweet bliss of drugs stops him from seeing the shadowy monsters he knows are always there.

Mal is the underdog of the Four Horsemen. As the newly appointed Pestilence he has to learn to fit in with the other three, after the last Pestilence moved on. He is dismi
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Al *the semi serial series skipper* by: Shin Mon Thway
This is my first book by Rhys Ford and I find myself pleasantly surprised. I absolutely enjoyed it, I was hoping there was another book but it seems this is a standalone. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Candice
I love Ford's work. There is no doubt about that. However, I kind of had a hard time following this one. Maybe because I read this on vacation and I wasn't really getting into it like I normally do? Maybe because I started reading this while already having some beers in me at almost Midnight? Maybe it was because so many people have 2 names?

So we have The Four Horsemen plus Faith, Charity, Hope, and Peace. I kind of wanted more about how this started. (view spoiler)
Cindra
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and different story from most UF, and definitely different from the other Rhys Ford books I have read. Very enjoyable characters; the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are front and center, and are the good guys. Low heat factor, which was fine, as the plot kept me interested and erroneous sex may have detracted from that. Kismet is a tormented being who you can't help but feel sorry for; he gets under your skin and he had me bursting at the seams with protective instinct. Mal app ...more
Amy Spector
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is every damn thing I like in a book, all thrown in a blender. Freakin' awesome!

Dreamer
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 45%. Too many characters, too much plot, too many monsters, not for me..
Mtsnow13
Beta read...looks like it's going to be an awesome series!
Lisa The Novel Approach
I was a bit nervous about reading Ink and Shadows, mainly because of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I thought it might be a bit too religious for me, and I’m not a big fan of those types of stories, but, having just finished listening to Black Dog Blues, I was very impressed with how Rhys Ford and Greg Tremblay brought that one together.

From the moment I turned on the audio for Ink and Shadows, I was totally captivated by Greg Tremblay’s outstanding narrating skills. Not to mention that my
JR
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting complexity
This is a unique story, it uses the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse as the center characters. The best way I can describe them is anti-heroes. Death(Shi), War (Ari), Famine (Min) and Pestilence (Mal) become involved with a human, Kismet who can see them. He has always been able to see into the "Veil" where the Horsemen, along with other immortals, and assorted wraiths coexist. Because of this, Kismet relies on heroin to keep the specters at bay. Mal relates to the young man's loneliness. Mal re ...more
❀~Amy~❀
I really loved this and can't wait to see where Rhys Ford takes the series. Not really a romance, but there are bits and pieces showing us where the two couples are likely to end up...hopefully anyway. This story was beautifully written and just as beautifully narrated (Greg Tremblay for the win again!!!) with great characters. Just loved it!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Charmed and Dangerous
  • Shift (Infected #5)
  • Eater of Lives (SPECTR, #4)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Witches for Hire (Odds Jobs,  #1)
  • The Man in the Long Black Coat (Dale Bruyer #1)
  • A Wizard's Shelter
  • Undead Chaos (The Shifter Chronicles, #1)
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • The Dream Alchemist (Somnus, #1)
  • Coyote's Creed (Broken Mirrors, #1)
  • To the Other Side (Terra, #1)
  • Evolution (Evolution, #1)
  • Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)
  • Bloodline (Norwood #2)
  • A Crown of Dragons (Unicorne Files, #3)
  • Tracefinder: Contact (Tracefinder, #1)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She sha