Start by marking “Refusing the Veil” as Want to Read:
Refusing the Veil

Refusing the Veil

This topic divides people – and it will divide readers of this book too. Many Muslims worldwide either support or adopt religious veiling, and those who argue against it are often criticised, or worse.

But, according to Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the veil throws up a number of concerns, from questions of HEALTH and freedom of choice to issues of gender and personal identity.

She
Published November 27th 2014 by Biteback Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Refusing the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Refusing the Veil

Lama  Zakzak
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
The topic is not new of course. Veiling has preoccupied Western and Eastern writers for decades. The author of this book, Alibahi-Brown, bases her arguments on a very subjective perspective, which makes her arguments unconvincing. She talks about Muslim women as if they were a homogenous group and disregards the myriad of differences between them. The most negative point about this book is that the author keeps trying to push her ideas in readers' throats and she makes subjective remarks about v ...more
Robert
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The message here is important, even if the execution of the argument could be better.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is a non-white person. Thank goodness she decided to take on the task of speaking out against the veil, because think what would happen if a white person tried to do it. Would the book ever even get published?

Tommy Robinson left the EDL in 2013, but three whole years later you're still tainted socially and professionally if you endorse a word he says. A word. No matter how tepid and measur
Grace
This book is a huge disappointment. Genuinely one of the worst books on Muslim women or veiling I have ever read. Brown is like a pseudo-orientalist in her views. She recounts feeling pity for a woman wearing a veil in the streets. Well, it's that lady's choice to wear it if she lives in Britain. If she hated it then wouldn't she take it off when out with her child?

She barely addresses any arguments about those who say hijab is a religious obligation. She is Nizari Ismaili. They don't even wear
Francis Franklin
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a difficult subject for anyone to talk about. Criticism of the veil is too often met with strident accusations of racism and sexism. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown dares to confront the issue, writing with clarity and the passion of one who sees a hard-won freedom slipping away.
Jo
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick interesting read about a delicate subject. The author makes it very clear at the outset that this is her opinion and you should keep that in mind when reading.
Andrea King
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very personal essay that argues passionately against religious veiling. I can't say I am a fan of Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's writing in general but on this subject I pretty much agree with everything she says. In particular, I found the summary towards the end concise and useful. Unfortunately, much of the book comprises of personal anecdotes and quotes from friends and acquaintances rather than actual facts and figures so apologists for the veil will easily dismiss her argument. I can't h ...more
Jahnavi Jha
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I really enjoyed this book. The writing is very powerful and informative. It has really helped me to understand a lot about the veil. I am generally curious about culture and this book has done well to satisfy my curiosity.
Bethany
More an opinion piece than a convincing argument
Emma Stokes
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is less of a discussion and more of a series of allegations against unsuspecting Muslim veil wearers. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion of the veil, but in one instance Yasmin Alibhai-Brown accuses a woman she passes - who happens to be wearing a veil - of clearly hating and judging her, despite no words being exchanged or even eye contact being made. In retaliation of this suspected 'attack' Yasmin goes on to mention her throughout the book, insulting hear appearance ...more
Paige Watts
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm having a really hard time thinking of a star rating and review for this book, as while I appreciated the discussion it can lead to, and the taboo topics it investigates, I can't agree with what that author is saying and I do feel like it was a very forceful piece, rather than one to educate and encourage wider thought; something that is essential in today's society.

I really would like to do a whole video review and discussion on this book, as I've highlighted so many key areas I'd like to gi
Laura Chase
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
interesting look at why and how veiling of Islamic women happen
Karen