Start by marking “A Murder of Crows and Other Woes (English Is Complicated and Nearly Impossible Book 1)” as Want to Read:

A story about a little girl who skips school to play with deadly dangerous animals! Children will love this colorful tale. Book one of "English Is Complicated and Nearly Impossible" mixes high level vocabulary with silly adventure. For children 8 to 108 years.
Paperback
Published November 25th 2014

To ask other readers questions about A Murder of Crows and Other Woes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murder of Crows and Other Woes

Start your review of A Murder of Crows and Other Woes (English Is Complicated and Nearly Impossible Book 1)
Dwayne Fry
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm no expert on children's books, but I likes what I likes. The poetry was witty and lively, the illustrations charming. Delightful stuff.
Shelli
Oh vey.

I'll start with the good: the concept and plot of this book is great, really great! The story of a little girl having to explain to her dad in a letter (that it's her dad that's the one involved is even awesomely subversively feminist) that she's been absent from school for two weeks because she's being repeatedly thwarted on her way to school by some sort of herd of animals – of which we learn each one's taxonomic name in turn – is original, fun, silly, and educational. It has all the b
Linda
I received this children's book in a First Reads giveaway. Since I'm not claiming to be a children's book expert, I asked two of my grandkids, aged 7 and 13, to read it too, and while they deemed it cute, I don't think it is a book they'll remember. What is good about it was that it taught them the strange names assigned to groups of different animals (ex.: a clutter of spiders, scourge of mosquitoes, tower of giraffes, etc., including the title), but the rhymes were, in my opinion, awkward at t ...more
Meredith
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this through a Goodreads giveaway.

Such a cute story. A poem book for kids, the poems tell of a girl trying to get to school but always stopped by a group of animals. The author uses the scientific names of the animals so the child learns while being entertained. The illustrations match the poems wonderfully. A cute addition to any child's library.
˗ˏˋ maddie ˊˎ˗
Mar 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I won this through a Goodreads giveaway.

The meat of this, the story itself, is strong - it could use a little work on a few of the stanzas but the majority of it is good, finished product. But it's so shoddily put together, the illustration and text placement so inconsistent and haphazard that it made it impossible to enjoy.
Mary Beth
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darling little middle school aged book telling the story of why a young girl missed school for two weeks while making every effort to attend. Opens the door to the wonderful English concept of collective nouns in a fun rhyming story. Fanciful illustrations and even more fanciful description of why school was missed! A fun book for all ages. Should inspire further investigation of odd collective nouns for all readers. I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Michele
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Good reads giveaway.

A Murder of Crows and Other Woes is an adorable children's book by Shaoshanah Lee Marohn. The subject matter is looking at the collective form of animal communities. For instance, a group of spiders is called a clutter; a group of toads is called a knot; and many other examples are given in this story of why and how a little girl missed school.

I enjoyed this rhyming book and even learned a knew group or two along the way.
Carol
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The back cover of this book says "best for ages 8 to 108" and I heartily agree! This book is clever and the illustrations are quirky. It would be a great book for younger middle school children, particularly if they are interested in vocabulary and language. It works in the unusual names for groups of animals (as in the title). This is the author's first children's book--she should keep at it.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Samantha Dragon
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own
I won this book on first reads. I didn't know it was a picture book and I don't have any kids, so I gave it to a friends kids (they seemed to like it). I thought that this picture book was weird. I don't have anything against weird, and I thought it was cute. It seemed like it's trying to teach children what the names of groups of animals are but I'm not sure that they are the right names. Is a group of crows really called a murder. Also kindof a morbid title for a picture book.
Shelley Thompson
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Clever rhyming picture book that hooked my 7 year old son. The story describes the groups of animals (murder of crows, smack of jellyfish, clutter of spiders, tribe of goats...) that cause a little girl to miss 2 weeks of school. Unique, educational, and fun way to learn about animal names. Would be fun to read aloud to a group of kids.
Jawknee
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

The rhyming felt a little off in some places.
But overall it was really well written.
Cute story and cute illustrations.

I was already familiar with a "murder" of crows.
But all of the other animal groups were new to me.
Who knew a group of giraffes is called a "tower"?
Shanna
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. It's a quick read. I thought the story was different than other children's books I've read, and that made it interesting. I liked the rhyming aspect of it. The illustrations, in my opinion, were odd. They did add to the story, but didn't seem consistent.
Christine
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a pleasant story. The illustration of the child changed styles at times, but that gave the story a sort of campy charm. I'm a college graduate and I got to learn about what different groups of animals are named, for which I am nicely surprised. The rhyming scheme went wonky a couple of times as well, but nothing too majorly distracting. It was a good read overall.
Monique Pearson
Nov 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
The artwork is awful. My daughter hated it and so did I. It's horrible to read because the rhymes have no rhythm. Some of the rhymes were an obvious stretch to find a rhyming word. Passing this along to another parent. Perhaps she'll like it better.
Michelle Carrell
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: won
Cute story but the quality of the illustrations is not that great.
Kendra
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok, just not my cup of tea
Susan Walker
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun short story for kids with higher reading abilities. I liked the story of the little girl and all her adventures with animals. A fun read.
Kristine
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway

I really enjoyed this book. I read it to my 4 year old grandson who laughed and enjoyed the story
Russell Howen
"A Murder of Crows and Other Woes" is a reminder that our English is complicated and often impossible to know the meaning, spelling, and correct use of words.
Omar
Nov 21, 2015
Leslie
Mar 07, 2016
Shoshanah Marohn
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
May 14, 2015
Sonya
May 16, 2016
Keely
Jan 08, 2017
Shoshanah Lee Marohn is an artist and writer. She lives on a small farm in rural Wisconsin with several goofy looking sheep.