Start by marking “Vamps (Vamps, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vamps (Vamps, #1)

Vamps

(Vamps #1)

When the sun goes down, New York's true elite all head to one place: Bathory Academy, where the young ladies of the finest vampire families are trained in shapeshifting and luring their prey.

Bathory's reigning queen, Lilith Todd, is the daughter of a powerful vampire businessman, and she knows exactly what she wants from life. She wants to look beautiful for eternity and
Paperback, First Edition, 235 pages
Published July 22nd 2008 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Vamps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vamps

Start your review of Vamps (Vamps, #1)
Christie Cote
Jun 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I decided to read this book because I was working at Borders at the time and she was on a book tour and came to our store. I was excited to meet the authors coming, along with Nancy Collins were Claudia Gray (Evernight) and Ellen Schreiber (Vampire Kisses). I had recently read Twilight and was in the Vampire craze along with most of the population. This story was a comparison to Gossip girl except with vampires. I found myself rolling my eyes as I read. I was not impressed with this book. This ...more
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
As I said in my update, I enjoyed not thinking while I read. Some guilty little pleasure was satisfied reading it. The book was a bit cheesy and had some faults but it was not that bad yet, it was very predictable. It had no suspense even as it seemed that was what it tried to build. It reminded me of old soap operas.

Devon
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, vamp-s
this was such a cool book! If you like melissa De la cruz then you will love vamp's. these vamp's can shift, fly and cast spell's.they drink their blood in style a/b neg laced with bourbon!!
Rae Lake
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Femke
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sandy
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is a different book about vampires.

Centuries ago, somehow the vampire race got trapped in our world and must live with humans. With the help of a company called HemoGlobe, vampires buy blood without having to hunt for it. Thus giving them more time to live their lives peaceably with humans, and helping them keep their secret.

These vampires can shape shift into bats and another creature, usually a wolf. They are born, not made. But, adult vampires can bite humans and turn them into what
Myrah
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
The only reason I read this, was because my sister had bought it and I was out of books... I don't like the cover at all, it just looks so cheap. And compared to the thousands of other vampire books, it's not as well written. Yesterday I started books numero two, and because I didn't remember what happened in the first book, I gave it a quick look - and when I started in the next one, I noticed that the same 'funny' sentences are repeated like three times a book... That's the sort of thing I ...more
Edward Williamson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. Expertly crafted, the tale follows a group of high-school vampires and a half-vamp who end up in school together, plus vampire hunters and feeding on the innocent.
Laetitia
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I loved this series so much when I read it...
Katrina
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
An okay read. I had a hard time getting into this book. I felt lost throughout most of it and felt like I had no clue what was happening in some parts.
Alicia
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish I would have read this book sooner!

I picked this book up back when it was released and somehow it never left the TBR section of my bookshelf. I pulled it out so I could read it for my October reading and I am glad that I did. This book is a different rendition of vampires and I am a sucker for vampire stories ( no pun intended).

I honestly cant think of another vampire book that I have read to date that describes how the vampires fly/transform to fly. This for me was a very nice additive
Leela
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. Maybe i would have enjoyed it a bit more if I were younger, but at the end it was an interesting reading. Since I read this book, I' ve wanting to read paranormal reads. I found the author's writing style fresh and funny, although, like said, there were a couple of cliches that took me out of reading. Probably my favourite character was Lillith, I found her world really interesenting and her relation with Jules was so well done; at the same time, I definitely didn't like ...more
Jennifer Morrill
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
From the back cover~
Night school never looked so good.

When the sun goes down, New York’s true elite all head to one place: Bathory Academy, where the young ladies of the finest vampire families are trained in shapeshifting and luring their prey.

Only Bathory’s reigning queen Lilith Todd, is the daughter of a powerful vampire businessman, and she knows exactly what she wants from life. She wants to look beautiful for eternity and party till the sun comes up with her gorgeous boyfriend, Jules. And
Peace Love and Reviews
Rate: 3.5

I had this is my book shelf since last year. Thank goodness I finally came around reading it. I know. I know the cover looks like more of a glamor shop and therefore the contents is probably all whack.There I go again with judging the cover. Vamps is nothing like that sure there's still high end New York fashion and high maintenance princess type characters, shallow big egos and selfish.

Lilith, Jules, Carmen, Sergei, Tanith, Melinda, and Oliver are among those vampire family they call
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lilith Todd is a rich vampire. Jules de Laval is going to marry her. Tanith Graves, a friend. They are vampires. Humans are referred to as “clots.” Lilith is sixteen and goes to a vampire school were no one is allowed to carry a personal mirror. Lilith and her friends get banned from a night club for attacking a “clot.” Lilith is also quite rich.

She and all her friends are ultra-rich, ultra-self-centered, and very, very stuck up.

Reference is made to thirteen “founders.” When the vampires turn
Rhianna
Feb 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Vamps, the first book in a new young adult series, introduces readers to a whole new take on the vampire mythos. A world where status and bloodlines are everything and to be born on the wrong side of them is far from pleasant. Where else could such a tale be set than New York? A city known for its own clashing social classes, fashion, fame and fortune.

Daughter of the vampire elite's Victor Todd, Lilith has been the reigning royalty at Bathory Academy. The prestigious all-girls school trains
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

What do you get when you take the Gossip Girls and cross them with vampires? You get VAMPS by Nancy A. Collins!

Meet Lilith, Jules, Tanith, Melinda, and the rest of the Old Bloods. They're young, they're rich, and they're the hottest kids in New York. But you might never see them. They're vampires. They come out when the sun goes down. School starts at 9 pm for them, and once classes are done, they're hitting the local club scene.

Lilith is the crme de la
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Lililith Todd is the daughter of Victor, a rich, influential Old Blood vampire. As a result, she is a "not very civil individual" (Credit to Iza for that nice way of putting it). At Bathory Academy, she is adored/hated in the way that not very civil individuals are. Enter Cally Monture, Newblood, powerful stormgatherer, and general rival to Lililith. Then various things happen, and the whole book is basically the rivalry between the two, with their backstories, family troubles, friendships and ...more
Wren
this review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

Lilith is the daughter of a very rich vampire, and as an Old Blood vampire herself, she attends Bathory Academy, a night school for young female vampires. Going out with her friends one night to find some humans for dinner, she gets into a fight with a New Blood, Cally. Vampire hunters descend upon them and kill one of Lilith's friends, leaving Lilith hating Cally and blaming her for the death.

Cally is upset when she
Tiffany Yemenian
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book , because after reading twilight and falling in love with vampires i thought this would be another great book to read. This story is about about a girl named Lilith Todd whose father is one of the most powerful vampires in all of the city. She is very popular and tries to take down a new blood ( a vampire) who has just came into her same school Bathorty academy. This girls name is Cally Monture. One of my favorite quotes from the book Vamps would be "In this whole screwed-up ...more
Kaori
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm not really sure how to review this book. I've got mixed feelings about it... It reminds me of Gossip Girl (for the high-classed, back-stabbing, I control the whole school type of girls and their general bitchiness) and it also kind of reminds me of Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series .

I had a bit of a hard time finishing this book, mainly because I found the characters to be shallow. There was this one scene where Lilith was more concerned (as in the world will now end type of concern)
Homewood Public Library
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Lilith Todd is the "It" girl of the supernatural world. Her rich and powerful Old Blood father gives her whatever she wants, her promised, Jules, will make her a Countess when they are bound, and she already rules the world of fashion and popularity. One night while out slumming she runs into Cally, a New Blood who challenges Lilith in a fight over a potential victim. The Newbie turns out to be a Stormgatherer, but Lilith would still have beaten her if not for the sudden appearance of Van ...more
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
"Gossip Girls" cattiness ruins the first half--and some of the flat main characters-- of this novel. It is for more mature teens (mentions of drugs, sex, etc.) and has trashy cover art, but inside this blood-sucking tale beats the heart of Cally Monture, half-vamp, half-human, who has some witchy powers inherited from her grandmother, and is being hunted by the Van Hellsings, the vampires' main enemy.

Cally has a run-in with a young Van Hellsing named Peter, who's already falling for the
Megan
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Vamps
Nancy A. Collins 235 Pages

Scandal, drama, hookups and snooty classmen, Bathory Academy, is where young vampires that are from the supreme vampire families learn to master their shape shifting and other powers. Lilith Todd, Bathory Academy’s queen bee, and vampire heiress, rules the elite night school, until someone questioned her throne; Cally Monture, a half mortal, half vampire, who lives with her single mortal mother, and hasn’t ever met her vampire father. She obtains these strong

Kricket
i'm leading a book discussion for our state library association's workshop on teen lit, and i had to choose four "books with bite" on rather short notice. this one got added last because i was given a page number limit, ant it's not very long.

i did not care for this book. that said, it's popular with my teens here at the library and i think it's important to read what they are reading.

i appreciated the vast vampire culture that collins created- lots of history and background, special lingo
Raina
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I love any kind of vampire book, plus I have a weakness for cheesy supernatural YA and Collins' name was somewhat familiar, so I picked up this book. I thought I would really enjoy it. Basically it's Gossip Girl but with vampires. It was momentarily amusing however the label/name dropping got so out of hand I felt like I was reading ad copy for a Madison Avenue firm rather than a mindless YA vampire novel. The characters were shallow and the plot was basic. Unknowingly I then read book three ...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not many people
was pretty predictable i new about a third of the way though how things where going to turn out. i was expecting better so im a bit disappointed.
Also it was very unoriginal compared to other vampire books i'v read kind of like a cross between house of night series and gossip girl but not written as well or as creatively. which made it boring to me.
i dont know if i'll be reading the next book in this series unless i dont have anything better at the time.

though saying that i suggest you should
Bcoghill Coghill
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nancy A. Collins created Sunglasses in the Dark which was the best of the Vampire books in its day and almost demanded a comic book. I bought the book, trade paper back almost rare in the day, in a comic book shop. Read it love it, bought everything she published since.
Now she has a teen series, VAMPS, Vampire American Princesses. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
But she hasn't fallen far. The first was meant for brooding goth boys. This series is for not so brooding girls and possibly boys.
Harper
Tracy
May 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I picked this up because I have a weakness for cheesy supernatural YA and Collins' name was somewhat familiar. It's pretty much exactly what it looks like: Gossip-Girl-but-with-seriousfax-bloodsuckers. (A quick peruse of Amazon shows there are at least three series with this exact premise.) It was momentarily amusing and contains as much label-name-dropping as one might expect, but I'm not really sure I'd pay full price for it. As for Collins, she's best known as the author of Sunglasses After ...more
Jan
Lilith Todd is the queen of Barthory Academy, the school for only the richest Old-Blood vampire girls. Enter, Cally, who no one is really sure about. How did she get into the school. Where does her magic come from? One thing is for sure, Lilith does not want her around, and what Lilith wants, she usually gets.

I was all set not the like the book. All the designer name dropping is expected in chick lit but I was beginning to think that everyone in the book was going to be some sort of monster.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
i hate this book 8 43 Feb 25, 2013 10:42PM
Vamps 1 8 Sep 17, 2010 12:23PM

• Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • Bite Me! (Bite Me, #1)
  • Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)
  • The Death of Joan of Arc (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #4.5)
  • Billy the Kid and the Vampyres of Vegas (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5.5)
  • Panther Prowling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #17)
  • Darkness Raging (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #18)
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • Moon Shimmers (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #19)
  • Harvest Song (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #20)
  • Blood Bonds (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #21)
  • The Light Fantastic
  • Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)
  • Meet Me Here
  • Swoon (Swoon, #1)
Nancy A. Collins (born 10 September 1959) is a United States horror fiction writer best known for her series of vampire novels featuring her character Sonja Blue. Collins has also written for comic books, including the Swamp Thing series, Jason Vs. Leatherface, Predator: Hell Come A Walkin and her own one-shot Dhampire: Stillborn.

Collins was born in McGehee, Arkansas, United States. She lived in