Start by marking “Death of My Aunt (Malcolm Warren Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Death of My Aunt (Malcolm Warren Mysteries #1)

Death of My Aunt

(Malcolm Warren Mysteries #1)

Tricked into delivering a fatal dose of poison to his wealthy aunt, Malcolm Warren, a conservative stockbroker, must solve the mystery of her murder before he becomes the prime suspect.
Published February 1st 1996 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Death of My Aunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of My Aunt

Start your review of Death of My Aunt (Malcolm Warren Mysteries #1)
Peter
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, 1920s
Whenever something has to be done in a hurry, my immediate impulse is to sit down and smoke a cigarette.” Sensible man – if not perhaps quite as active and astute as your average 1920s sleuth. But Malcolm Warren is strictly amateur – a stockbroker, comfortably earning £2 per week (plus commission) – who, faced with the death of his aunt, draws up a table of suspects since he “remembered enjoying a similar table in a book by Lynn Brock, and saw no reason why I should not adopt the method. After ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A stockbroker must defend himself after unintentionally delivering a fatal dose of poison to his domineering, wealthy aunt.

I thought this was going to be pretty light and humorous, but it went fairly dark emotionally, with the main character going through a perfectly reasonable amount of doubt, anguish, and shock after the death of someone close to him. A good, solid read for a traditional puzzle mystery, but not quite a page-turner. If you manage to get your hands on this, save it for a day whe
Bev
At 25, Malcolm Warren is already a bit of a stick-in-the-mud, eccentric, old-fashioned stockbroker. The most excitement in his life has come with the ups and downs of the stock market. But he's always been the favorite of his very rich and extremely autocratic Aunt Catherine and he gets along with old girl. They've always understood each other, so when she summons him for a visit he goes. She wants advice on her investments and Malcolm is the only one she trusts to do the right thing. Little doe ...more
Ivan
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging murder mystery with perfectly logical conclusion. Very well written.
Laurie
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5

2019 - Just the Facts, Ma'am - Why: It made a “best of” list: Death of my Aunt by C.H.B Kitchin (H.R.F. Keating Crime & Mystery: The 100 Best Books)

Shabbeer Hassan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: whodunit, 2018
A rather weak plotline, with inconsistent characterization and a "meh" sort of protagonist.

My Rating - 2/5
Whistlers Mom
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The protection racket.

This book was published in 1930 and was the author's break-through book. Kitchin wrote poetry and straight novels, but (to his dismay) his four mysteries were his most popular works. It's ironic to talk about Kitchin's "straight" novels, since he was openly gay and some of his straight novels have gay themes. Do we need new words?

Kitchin was a highly-literate writer and his mysteries are fascinating. He inherited wealth and made himself even richer by stock market investmen
Eden Thompson
From my book blog www.JetBlackDragonfly.blogspot.com
When you read all sorts from the 1930's, you sometimes find a gem. Other times it's hard to finish. Death of my Aunt by C.H.B. Kitchin was written in 1929, first published by Leonard and Virginia Woolf at The Hogarth Press, which I thought gave it merit. This was the Golden Age of mysteries - Miss Marple found Murder at the Vicarage in 1930 - and Death of my Aunt was a success and frequently reprinted. So much so that Kitchin's desire to be a s
Pascale
Mar 18, 2021 rated it did not like it
Another time-wasting murder mystery with an arbitrary conclusion tacked to a wooden and tedious plot. Why This book was a hit when it came out in the 1920s, and has been reprinted a number of times since, is beyond me. Malcolm Warren is a mediocre stock-broker who finds himself in his rich aunt's bedroom on the day she poisons herself accidentally with some adulterated tonic against the deleterious effects of menopause. Malcolm investigates to clear himself as well as the deceased's second husba ...more
Beirut27
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had great expectations but apart from the light humour which I enjoyed I found that book lengthly and slightly boring. It is not as if the subject matter is particularly tricky : I have read two brilliant books dealing with it so I suppose a decent writer should be able to do the same. So I skipped through it.
Two stars for the rather poignant relationship between the nephew/ward and his aunt/tutor ; unfortunatley Kitchin only scratched its surface.
Won't read any other book by Kitchin if I can
Nicholas Beck
Enjoyable if middling crime who-dunnit. I rather liked the laconic protagonist's bumbling attempts to solve the crime himself. A convoluted poisoned bottle switching denouement which left me a little confused and not overly concerned with unravelling at the end. Some good hints at the ever present class consciousness in English society which has a pivotal role in Kitchin's characterisations and murder motivations. ...more
Ann
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anglophilia, mystery
I had expected more of this well-regarded mystery. I found every single character unpleasant, including the narrator, and there were too many lists. The story of a tyrannical old woman who dies poisoned, and the stereotypical strife between the clever amateur and the unimaginative policeman, seemed trite to me. The fact that I read it on Kindle may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm.
Scott
Apr 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
The protagonist/narrator is one of the least heroic would-be detectives I think I’ve ever seen, but for the most part nobody comes off all that well. I’d give this a B+ on the writing and handling of the characters, B- on the mystery – it’s laid out well but the resolution was a bit too deus ex machina for me.
Mysteryfan
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Pretty dated, but it is sort of fun to see what life was like then. Not at all a gripping read, but a pleasant way to pass an hour or so.
Nancy
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, mystery, oldies
Found this on a Guardian list of top 10 Golden Age Detective Novels. It was a winner. Good mystery, enjoyable read. Quick, light read.
Mgb
May 25, 2021 rated it liked it
I should have figured out who the murderer was. Good fun.
Kate
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
"Already, at 25, something of a fuddy-duddy, even a trifle eccentric, stockbroker Malcom Warren is summoned to visit his very rich and very autocractic aunt. Wealth gave Aunt Catherine power, a young husband, and a most unpleasant end.

"Tricked into handing Aunt Catherine a fatal dose of poison, Malcom must turn detective to protect himself--and his much maligned young uncle. Trouble is, Malcom is more a Watson than a Holmes."
~~back cover

It just goes to show you. I loved Death of His Uncle, and w
Cindy
Aug 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Malcolm is a rather inefficient stockbroker who gets an invitation from his wealthy Aunt Catherine to visit for the weekend. He's barely said hello when she is dead of poison. Malcolm and his Uncle Hannibal are both equal suspects in the police's eye, but Malcolm knows he didn't do it and he decides he'd better solve it before the police mess things up.

I tracked this down on a recommendation from a LT friend, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Malcolm is fairly unsympathetic, but mostly it's
Peggy
Excellent mystery told in the first person. Short on characterization though, not one character seemed likable to me. But the mystery and plotting did make up for it. Malcolm was a good detective in his own right, making lists and deducing for himself to see if he could solve it before the police. The police had a very small role in this story which was a little different. After a rather drastic 'test' to see if 'uncle' Hannibal was the murderer, Malcolm became his one defender. Was he correct o ...more
Martina Sartor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bassotti
Un buon Bassotto non mi delude mai. C'è tutto quello che mi piace in un giallo classico: l'atmosfera della casa di campagna inglese un po' isolata, il morto avvelenato che fa tanto zia Agatha, sospettati fin che se ne vuole. E un investigatore dilettante (un po' imbranatello, stavolta) che ama fare liste e schemi.
Ore di piacevole evasione assicurate.
Michelle Reeve
This is the first in a series of four books featuring Malcolm Warren, a stockbroker with a knack of getting embroiled in crime. Kitchin has an elegant writing style and can formulate an intriguing plot. The second book of the series is Crime at Christmas, the third is Death of his Uncle and the fourth, which is hard to find, The Cornish Fox.
Jack Heath
Synopsis: tricked into delivering poison to his aunt, Malcolm Warren, a stockbroker, must solve the murder before he becomes the suspect.
Estott
Mar 04, 2021
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• In the Presence of the Enemy (Inspector Lynley, #8)
  • Harvard Has a Homicide
  • The Lending Library
  • Squeeze Me (Skink #8)
  • Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
  • Quicksand
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Without Remorse (John Clark, #1; Jack Ryan Universe Publication Order #6)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • Big Foot
  • El misterio de la cripta embrujada
  • The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2)
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok (Pepe Carvalho, #6)
  • Twist of Fate
  • Mourir sur Seine
  • Winner Take Nothing
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
C.H.B. (Clifford Henry Benn) Kitchin was born in Yorkshire in 1895. He attended Exeter College, Oxford, and published his first book, a collection of poems, in 1919. His first novel, Streamers Waving, appeared in 1925, and he scored his first success with the mystery novel Death of My Aunt (1929), which has been frequently reprinted and translated into a number of foreign languages.

Kitchin was a m

Malcolm Warren Mysteries (4 books)
  • Crime at Christmas
  • Death of His Uncle (Malcolm Warren Mysteries #3)
  • The Cornish Fox