Start by marking “Birthright, Vol. 1: Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Birthright, Vol. 1: Homecoming

Birthright, Vol. 1: Homecoming

(Birthright #1)

For the Rhodes family, losing their son was the most devastating thing that could have occurred...but it couldn't prepare them for what happened when he returned. Skybound's newest hit turns fantasy into reality in this all-new series from the creator of Nailbiter and Ghosted. Pick up this introductory-priced collection and see what everyone's talking about!

Collecting: Bi
Published March 4th 2015 by Image Comics (first published October 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Birthright, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birthright, Vol. 1

Riley
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was a great fantasy comic book. It takes place both in modern world and in a fantasy land, switching back and forth in between the two.
The pacing and transitions between scenes were perfect!! I really enjoyed this!
Sam Quixote
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kid disappears in the park one day and is never seen again. People suspect his paw done kilt him. Naw, don’t be sills – he just went to a Narnia-esque land where he became a warrior, fought monsters, and returned a fully-grown man despite only one year passing in our world! He hunting wizards now.

… uh huh. So, Birthright, Volume 1: Homecoming is every fantasy story ever conceived. The fantasyland is populated by knights, monsters, orcs, wizards, barbarians, magic and giant weapons, and writer J
Sean Gibson
Did this tale of a boy who goes missing in the woods, apparently becomes the chosen one who liberates a fantasy world from an oppressive god king, and returns to Earth to save his family and the world from five rogue sorcerers tickle the back of my knees in the manner of a frisky kitten eager to be scratched behind its ears and/or fed?

Is that the worst negative analogy I have ever used to lead off a review?

Sadly, probably not.

Birthright gets off to a solid start, thanks mostly to a not exact
GrilledCheeseSamurai
So you know the stories about the regular, average, normal Joe (or Jane) that get sucked away to another magical world and fight off evil and become the hero?

Well, that's what this is. Only this time the spin is that all of that has already happened and this is about the hero returning to his world and dealing with the life that he left behind. This go-around the hero in question happens to be a little boy that was secreted away and while on earth only a year has passed, however, in the little b
Paz R.M.
Oh, god no. I don't have time for this.
Listen, fantasy, well High fantasy, is not only my favorite genre, but I've been reading a lot of it lately and... this doesn't do it for me. It adds nothing new to the genre. It's full of clichés and the writing in here? Awful.

So, I just realized I never (except for that Catwoman volume by Ann Nocent that deserved 0 stars) give 1 star ratings to comics. Dude, the kind of work of not only the writer but of the artist(s) in every volume makes me take a mo
Chad
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting twist on the old kid is transported to another world where he must become a hero story. Great art too from Andrei Bressan and Adriano Lucas. Can't wait too read the next volume.
Artemy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Artemy by: Chris
Shelves: comics, image-comics

Another one in the stream of my buddy reads, this time it's me giving another chance to Joshua Williamson, whose comics I previously thought were tepid at most. I don't have a long review in me today, but I'll just say that Birthright changed my opinion — I really enjoyed this comic and was quite impressed by Williamson's writing here compared to some of his other books. The concept is really fun, the storytelling is fast paced and filled with various twists, and the artwork looks nice. Birthrig
Cheese
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This starts of as a cross between, the lion the witch and the wardrobe and Lord of the rings. I was hoping it would be more Lord of the rings or at least one of them, but it didn't quite hit the spot for me.

Mikey was playing ball with his dad in the woods and ends up being kidnapped by warriors from another realm. His family goes into melt down while he is gone for a year. Divorce, break up and accusations follow. A year later he appears as a full grown man in the police station, tellin
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really quick and action-packed fantasy graphic novel and I'm so excited to pick up the next 2 volumes!
Chris
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image-comics
Unlike most graphic novels, Homecoming doesn't include Birthright's single issue covers as breaks between each chapter. I didn't notice this until I was about halfway through and instead decided to stop reading when I reached a natural break in the story. However, there was no point where I wanted to put the book down and I finished it in one sitting.

While the lack of covers encouraged continued reading, I was disappointed that they weren't at least included in the back because the artwork is fa
Michelle Morrell
Playing in the woods with his dad, a boy goes missing. One year later a stranger is found in the woods, who says he knows what happened. Chaos ensues.

Epic fantasy with a twist, gorgeous art and no punches pulled. I've already passed this along to a couple of people, this is firmly in the "must own" category.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great start to a promising fantasy series! Cannot wait for the second volume! I love the back-and-forth storytelling, and the art is well done--the action sequences are fantastic.

Roy
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty solid fantasy affair. Boy goes missing, is found back in earth after returning from a fantasy world, but hes ages and some skilled warrior. The twists are a little predictable but its still a fun read. Going to give the 2nd volume a go to see if they develop some more originality with the story.
Pamela
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Looking at all of the early reviews for this one, I again feel as though Ive missed something crucial. Or perhaps it's just that I'm approaching this from a more critical standpoint. When I start a comic, unless it's Batgirl or Daredevil or American Vampire or Chew (okay, weird cross-section, but whatever), I'm starting at zero. I expect to not love it (huzzah for split infinitives!). If the comic grows on me, it grows. If not, we hover around zero.

I hadn't heard anything at all about Birthright
Matthew Quann
Coming back to this after reading Volume 3. I thought I had written a review, but it seems as though I hadn't! It has been a while since I read this volume, but here's a quick and dirty roundup of what I enjoy in the series, and why I'd recommend it.

-Urban/Medieval fantasy: a good mix of classic fantastical adventure setting and urban settings. I really find that it meets my desire for a good fantasy comic, of which there are so few.

-Family drama: A boy goes missing and his father is pegged by t
Brendan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm thinking a 3.5 for this one, it was interesting but the overall concept, meh. I liked the mythology that's being created but the Earth connection is a little over bearing and the characters don't have that instant likable factor. I'll continue with the series but I'll be reading them during a gap with the large backlog I've accumulated over time. I had noticed this is part of Skybound comics so I can see why this story feels padded out, this is a Robert Kirkman company which specializes in l ...more
Bookishrealm
Whoah whoah that was crazy!! I heard about this on booktube and really wanted to give it a try and I'm glad that I did. The characters are interesting and I'm really intrigued by the plot. You literally have no idea what's going to happen. I'm sure in future volumes we will learn what exactly happened to Mikey and what's this crazy adventure he's suddenly on!! If you haven't checked this out definitely give it a try.
James DeSantis
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wacky and fun throughout. never bored even for a second.
Aildiin
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Read the floppies. This is one of the better new Image serie with kick ass art and an original story.
Perry Gough
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Doesn't really do anything new and story is kind of bland.
Nelson
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was super fun!

A kid gets lost in the woods and ends up in another world, where he is part of a prophecy that says he's the hero that will defeat the Dark Lord. When he comes back to his world only a year has passed but for him many.

And his family well... you can say they are surprised he is not a little kid anymore. Great cliffhanger as well.
Bader Al Shirawi
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing and a promising story, I'm very curious about this devil-ish soul/creature that appears next to Mikey's shoulder.
Silence
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you aren't completely hooked by the first 30 pages, question your judgement.
Wayne McCoy
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Birthright' takes a family tragedy and adds a bizarre fantasy twist to it. The art is gorgeous, and it's a great setup for this ongoing series.

The book starts on a beautiful fall day. Mikey and his dad are playing catch while Mikey's mom and brother are busy getting his birthday party together. When little Mike disappears into the woods, the family is set on a course of self-destruction. Mike's dad Aaron soon finds himself the prime suspect in the disappearance. The marriage breaks up and Aaron
Stephen
A young boy lost is in the woods, transported to a fantasy realm and returns as a demon possessed "hero." Good artwork. Complex story adored down a bit by very annoying feuding parents subplot. Interested to see where this goes in the next installment.
Rogier
4.5.

I'm still a comic book noob and I dont have a lot of comic book experience. With that out of the way, I enjoyed this volume. I can't wait to purchase a copy and wait for volume 2

received an e-arc through Netgalley
Frank
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
Really enjoyed this first volume of a new series. Interesting time and plot twist. Great illustrations.
Look forward where they are taking this.
kayley j fouts
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So good! I can't wait to read the rest! This series is entertaining and appropriate for lots of ages too!
Koen
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woooow, read this in minutes!!

Son gets kidnapped, family torn apart.. Son returns as an adult hero, but with a twist.. and then some!!

Ok, 'nough talkin'.. next chapter: go!! ;)
Sam
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
If I'm not mistaken, this is the first five star review I've given to a graphic novel all year. I could go on and on about this one because I absolutely loved it. I'd describe it as Narnia meets Mistborn, for concept and character development.

Basically, when Mikey is a little boy he goes missing. The police suspect the father of killing him and it drives the family apart. About a year later the police think they've found a lead- a man carrying an ungodly amount of weapons and traipsing through t
  • The Autumnlands, Vol. 1: Tooth and Claw
  • Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory
  • Copperhead, Vol. 1: A New Sheriff in Town
  • Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
  • East of West #2
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 2: The Art of Blood and Fire
  • Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown (Edward Scissorhands, #1)
  • Jupiter's Legacy, Vol. 1
  • Bob's Burgers, Volume 1
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Black Science, Vol. 2: Welcome, Nowhere
  • Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland
  • Barbarian Lord
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm
  • ゆかりズム 2 (Yukarism, #2)
  • Thief of Thieves, Vol. 1: "I Quit."
  • Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague