Start by marking “Red Hope (Red Hope, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Hope (Red Hope, #1)

Red Hope (Red Hope #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  3,741 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
SHORT DESCRIPTION:
For two million years, Mars has been hiding a secret. Two hours ago, the Mars Curiosity rover found it. The President has called an emergency meeting - mankind will never be the same. With technology pulled directly from today's prototype laboratories, America sends a crew on a dangerous discovery mission to the Red Planet. Will you figure out the secret
Published December 20th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Red Hope, please sign up.
John Red Hope is definitely appropriate for young adults (and even teenagers). There are no curse words. It does contain a brief scene of violence between…moreRed Hope is definitely appropriate for young adults (and even teenagers). There are no curse words. It does contain a brief scene of violence between two characters.(less)

Ben Taylor
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Red Hope" was an honestly fun book to read -- which, I think, is what Dreese was going for. It's a fast-paced story with a believable plot that is as much centered around the political aspects of sending a crew to Mars as it is the technicals of doing so. Don't worry, though: it's a supremely enjoyable book, even if science isn't your thing. The technical aspects of the book make good context for the story, unlike in hard-science Sci-Fi, the pages of which are boggedRED HOPE-down in technical d ...more
Dystopian
Jun 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
A premise that was right up my alley turned into a ridiculous book I could hardly finish.
Elisa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I hate giving a low-star review, but I had high hopes for this book and I was sorely disappointed. The premise was very interesting: when the Curiosity rover takes pictures of human-like fossils and some kind of written language in Mars, a team of astronauts is sent to the red planet. Awesome! I am no scientist, but I've read The Martian and the science in this book seems little implausible. Fine, I can live with that, this is fiction. But then the characters were beyond belief. I don't know any ...more
Beth
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***Contains spoilers***

I read right thru this book in about 3 hours. Not because I enjoyed it, but because I drank 3 glasses of wine with dinner the night before & when I drink red wine, I get horrible insomnia. So when I woke up at 3 am, I had nothing better to do than finish this book.
Let me begin by saying the President is a complete douche. He advances his own reelection agenda at the expense of the space program & the entire country. I know this is fiction - I get that - but the pre
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
You can find this full review and many others at Scifi and Scary's Book Reviews.

I ended up reading this book because it flashed across my kindle screen as one of those sponsored ad things, and it mentioned it was on Kindle Unlimited. Now, its rare to find a fantastic book on KU, but it occasionally does happen, and I like space-ageish books, so I decided to give this one a try. I’m not disappointed I did, but I’m not thrilled either.

John Dreese has writing talent, and I loved the premise of the
Gene Komaromi
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sci_Fi Thriller

This book is a good space adventure story. It has mystery, action and plot twists. I wish it didn't end so soon.
Cass
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
3,5/5
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Red Hope: An Adventure Thriller audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

What happens when you have a president seeking re-election, an egotistical rich entrepreneur, a Russian Paleontologist and two “not top of the rung” astronauts with everything to lose?  A disaster of epic proportions!

The Mars Rover discovers a secret that the red planet has held for thousands of years.  In a bid for re-election, the president promises a trip to Mars in an unheard of t
Leslie
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology, mystery, ku
Like many other readers I had high hopes for this book. The premise is intriguing. The Mars Rover discovers what appears to be a fossilized human holding something. The President - who is simply a caricature- makes the promise to get to and return people from Mars before the next election. Luckily there is a down on his luck millionaire who just happens to have the magical rocket motor that will propel the astronauts to Mars. But he's already made a deal with the Russians.

The dialogue in the sto
Jessica Weinreich
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Great concept spoiled by characters with no depth, just-beyond-plausible events (which I'll buy if you lay the groundwork, which this book does not), and the, "hey, let's add 6 more plots in the last third of the book!" Not to mention that everything was overly dumbed down. I have a passion for space and astronomy and read a LOT of science fiction. (Heck, I teach a class if it!) So, I don't need quite as much of the tech explained. Fine. But not everything needs to be written in three, successiv ...more
Susan Barton
The year is 2015 and NASA Director, Chris Tankovitch, makes an early morning call to President Daggett Jennings. Signs of a previous civilization - fossilized humanoid remains - have been discovered by the Mars Curiosity rover and Chris is excited to report this news to the President. Unfortunately, the rover's power went out immediately after taking just four photos. A discovery mission is scheduled to be deployed to Mars to further investigate these ancient signs of life. When the overzealous ...more
VictoryGoth
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept; poor execution. I stopped reading when it was apparent there would be no interesting characters and boring, "telly" exposition. I know that usually comes with the territory of this genre but the writing itself is uninteresting, simplistic, and just TOO obviously "telling" you everything. It reads like a Wikipedia article. I tried to stick out out, hoping it would just get to the really interesting part about the alien fossils and possible ancient alien civilization on Mars, ...more
J N
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Be sure to read Red Hope on the weekend because you won't be able to put it down. The plot's twists and turns make it impossible to guess the ending and now I want book 2. The characters are interesting and stand on their own. I especially liked the cynical, realistic way President Jennings was written. And the ending will leave you thinking about it for days! Great first novel.
David Rose
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie, sf
This felt refreshingly original and is written in a plain style that flows well. I liked a number of the concepts the author presented, and I thought that the SF elements were really well done. However, characterization was average and those plot points that depended on the frail humanity of the characters felt a little artificial, even forced at times. On balance, I liked it, and was frustrated that I could not fully engage with it. Almost great. Three stars on GR, but it's four on Amazon.
Sirius Scientist
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This short work is the first book by John Dreese and centers around a world changing discovery by the Curiosity rover on Mars. A discovery that could change the history of humanity, and alter it's future course, so of course I was excited.... at first.

This is one of those instances when a concept is excellent and execution just kills it, also holy sexism batman! Thirteen pages in I checked to see if this was reviewed by a SINGLE woman in the acknowledgements section and was SHOCKED that it was.
Scott
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Renee
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just can't - DNF

I'm not one who gives up on books early. I want to give each author's effort an honest try. That being said, I couldn't get through flipping Chapter 3 with this before I said enough.

For me, it was flat out the poor writing. Generally, if a book is in third person, I prefer limited point of view and the closer the better. This author attempted omniscient - something incredibly hard - but did so poorly......very, very poorly. Instead of omniscient, it was more bad narrator.

I felt
J.R. McLeay
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this exciting sci-fi novel from start to finish. From its provocative hook introduced in the first chapter to its surprising twist at the end, I couldn't put it down until I finished it in one all-day sitting. With a fascinating premise, rich and complex characters, and page-turning plot, the author has crafted an original and absorbing story that keeps pulling the reader forward to the dramatic ending.

I particularly enjoyed the various elements of real science that
Jamie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a sci-fi reader at all, but after meeting John on Twitter I decided to give this book a shot and I'm so glad that I did! I read a lot of indie books because I want to support indie authors and unfortunately, a lot of them fall short of my expectations and are riddled with errors. Not the case here. Started this book on an airplane ride and got 40% through it before the rude pilot interrupted my reading to begin our decent into Calgary. I have to say that I was quite surprised at how atta ...more
Tim
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tim by: Stupid Kindle Ads
Shelves: stupid
Light on story details. Started pretty good, but I didn't care for the way it progressed. After reading what 'red hope' was, I felt as though it was heading down a darker path. I had to keep pushing myself to try to continue reading it. I finished it, but I didn't feel like I had finished it.

My last story of Mars was The Martian. It definitely set the bar higher for science fiction details and plausible reality. As for Mars fantasy, ERB's Princess of Mars, with John Carter, had more believable
Laura Calvo
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would love to see a movie of this and I can't wait for the follow up novel!!!
John
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I had imagined but I really liked the story. Pretty solid all around. I believe that I got this free on Amazon for the kindle app (on my nook ;), fyi.

Give this one a shot.
Jason Enns
Reads like a hollywood blockbuster which is good and bad. It is not ground breaking sci fi but it is a fun tale.
Alexander Fedyunin
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a very good for the debut, looks like a classic of the genre
Rebeka Várnagy
This story follows a manned mission to Mars after a rover named Curiosity makes the biggest discovery so far on the red planet. I'll be honest here, I picked this book up because I wanted to read something similar to The Martian by Andy Weir, and turns out it was a mistake. I went into this novel with expectations that it didn't meet - not because it was a bad book, but because it didn't aim to be like The Martian in the first place, so making a comparison between them wasn't a good idea.
There w
Sharon R. McLaurin
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If this is your first, John Dreese, Don't Stop!

This put me in mind of the Harry Potter series. But your book will be for adults. I like sci-fi and waiting on the next book in the series. Please let Adam and Yeva survive. Whose on that space ship? Give Chris back a life. Let Caroline's have a 75% Adam back. There are so many ways you can keep going. Keep fresh plot's built around sci-fi. More books, that will lead to better movies. Loved it. Was very inter tainted.
Philip Bailey
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A decent read. Good concept if somewhat implausible. In as much as planning is already in the works who’s to say what may be found? Or what lights a fire under the people in charge to spur the effort forward. I read the book in a single setting and immediately went looking for book 2. Apparently, I am not looking in the right places. Book one does not really end, it just leaves you hanging out there. Come on John, I Hope you are putting pen to paper even as I write this brief review.
Bill Thibadeau
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty good debut novel

I support indie authors and thus purchase debut books by unknown authors. If the reviews seem supportive I generally jump in. That was the case with this book. It is a story of travel to Mars that goes awry. The story and characters are interesting. There is a minor cliffhanger which may or may not be a lead in to the next book in the series.. I don't know yet but I have bought Blue Hope and will find out. I hope this author is successful.
NormaCenva
Kept me reading till 2 am in the morning! Not a masterpiece but still quite good. Bought the next book in the series already. Interesting to see it is just a duology, - have high hopes for book 2!
Lorrie Hook
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is so much more than a great sci-fi read, it's a great story of our humanity! I'm begging you John, please write more Hope, we need it!!
  • Skeletal (Christchurch Crime, #2)
  • My Soul Immortal (Fated Eternals, #1)
  • First Do No Harm