Start by marking “Engaging Learners Through Artmaking: Choice-Based Art Education in the Classroom” as Want to Read:

Teaching for Artistic Behavior is an art education curriculum focused on choice-based teaching and learning for elementary and middle school age students. The pedagogy is clearly outlined and addresses personal relevancy, the learning environment, instruction, assessment and advocacy. A strong argument is presented for meaningful learner-directed art making experiences for ...more
Published September 29th 2014 by Teachers College Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Engaging Learners Through Artmaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging Learners Through Artmaking

Deirdre
This is a valuable book for Art Educators but more important for Administrators and parents! I have intuitively been using a balance between "emergent curriculum student-directed," "explicit curriculum teacher-directed" but find that the majority of the time my courses are structured using "modified choice" where I choose the content they choose the medium or they choose the content and I choose the medium. My observation in recent years is that more students fear self-directed work and this sho ...more
Clark Fralick
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally love this concept. The children are so engaged that behavior issues decreased. Student Centered art making has reinvented my class room.
Jessica
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
So excited to try out choice!!

Great art teacher read! I’m super inspired and plan on implementing much of what I’ve read in my classroom. I am bored with the way I currently teach and crave more authentic moments with my students. I’ve never enjoyed cookie-cutter artwork and stuffy, micromanaged classrooms. I’ve always gravitated towards allowing my students a decent amount of independence so choice feels very “me”.

My only complaint - I wish the book would have touched a bit more on how to impl
Melony Vance
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an elementary art teacher, this book gives a realistic glimpse with practical ideas and practices to use all learners. GREAT resource!
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous resource to an art teacher looking to transition to a TAB classroom!
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely want to switch to a choice based art room. Loved the ideas and the concept, but I am a little apprehensive about not knowing how behaviors will get in the way of this type of program. I will continue to research this method, and might try a modified version when school starts back in a few weeks.
Kathleen Arnold
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to TAB by one of my professors, and quickly because a huge fan. I was able to attend the TAB institute at MassArt, an I highly recommend for anyone interested in adopting this philosophy. Diane and Kathy are wonderful and have paved the way for the future of art education.
Kathryn
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was practical and inspiring. I will use many of the ideas and suggestions to create art centers in my classroom this year. I am anxious to get started.
Emily
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book to get you thinking about how to set up a choice-based art program.
Liz