Start by marking “Saint Valentine” as Want to Read:
Saint Valentine

Saint Valentine

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
How did Valentine's Day, one of our most popular holidays, begin?
It started in ancient Rome when a kind physician named Valentine took an interest in a young blind girl. With his healing skill and his deep faith he restored her sight. What we now call Valentine's Day began when he sent the little girl a secret message, which she received after the Christian martyr was ex
Published January 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Saint Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Valentine

Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you are looking to tell the complete story of ST. Valentine to your children this book will be one beautifully illustrated disappointment, unless you are looking for a low-risk version. To its credit, the mosaic-inspired illustrations are very apropos AND its NOT inaccurate. It does show the generosity and intelligence of that Roman doctor. Its just not complete. In this version, St. Valentine is not married or in love with anyone himself. So it is more correct than other books. The story jus ...more
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary. The life of St. Valentine. The fact that it is legend is not made clear.

Why I Read This: With Valentine's day approaching, I wanted to read it.

Review: I didn't love it because while it told a good story, it didn't make it clear that the story was legend and that not much is known about St. Valentine. Even in the postscript about St. Valentine, he doesn't mention that it is legend. The story and postscript are different from what I've heard about St. Valentine before, but that's ok becau
I like to read this book on Valentine's Day alongside Cheryl Odden's The Story of Saint Valentine. The two authors take COMPLETELY different approaches to the life of Valentinus, and I think it helps kids understand both historical fiction and the discipline of the study of history.

Odden's approach is so fact based as to be a bit wooden, Sabuda's characters are more fleshed out. Odden gives an introductionary overview of what we know for certain and what we suspect about Valentinus, Sabuda has b
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This is a wonderful book for middle grades that tells the true story of St. Valentine. It is well written and led to great discussion about religious persecution. I didn't love the mosaic illustrations, but they are an interesting talking point.
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated children's book about Saint Valentine and the girl he prayed to heal.

Great book!
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
I was just handed this attractive story about Saint Valentine by a 3rd & 4th grade teacher who is using it in her classroom as part of her Valentine's Day activities. I'm the librarian at a public elementary school, so I read through it quickly with great delight. Since we don't have it in our collection, it is one I hope we can acquire before Valentine's Day next year!

While this story is about a saint of the Christian faith, the religious aspect of the story is toned down and not preachy. W
Abigailann (Abigail)

The first thing that struck me when this book arrived through the post were the amazing pictures. They were in a sophisticated style, taking the form of large mosaic pieces, and yet still simple enough for a child to understand. The story was simple and charming, although it finished quite abruptly and I found myself wanting it to continue. A came out of reading it was a greater understanding of the saintly origins of Valentine's Day.
Jenny Schuth
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is what it says it is. It is all about St. Valentine and where he came from and how he came to being tied to February 14th. This book goes back to his youth and dives down into his story and who he was. I liked this book a lot and felt like it was very factual and informative. I think it is a great tool for kids to use when doing a project on the holidays or saints or whatever else St. Valentine may fall under.
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The story isn't particularly inspiring, but the art is unusual and appropriate for the topic. I didn't know anything about Valentine, so found this interesting. I wouldn't read this to young children, but upper elementary kids who are interested in history or religion might enjoy this. I appreciated the additional information at the end of the book.
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a little jem! We read it with our Roman history (just prior to Constantine, when the Christians were really being persecuted). All the illustrations are mosaics--perfect for an art project. My girls really connected with this book. What a tragic story.
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good story about the story behind St. Valentine. I though the mosaic illustrations were pretty neat!
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O!M!G! Cut paper mosaics! What a beautiful and daunting artistic feat.
Sara Repasy
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was part of my daughters history lesson. She is in second grade and it is part of the lessons on Romans. It was a wonderful tie in and the illustrations are lovely.
Absolutely beautiful mosaics to illustrate this history of Valentine of Saint Valentine's Day.
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
a breif history and story about the saint and the mericles he preformed
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hagiography
While I very much enjoyed the illustrations done in mosaic style, I thought the story wasn't very well developed.
May 23, 2015
Marta Irvine
Feb 11, 2016
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Sabuda is internationally acclaimed for his stunning pop-up books, including America the Beautiful and The 12 Days of Christmas. He is also the illustrator of Chanukah Lights by Michael J. Rosen. Robert Sabuda lives in New York City.
More about Robert Sabuda...