Start by marking “You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March” as Want to Read:

You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March (You Wouldn't Want to...)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This fun and interesting, interactive series will enthrall young readers by making them a part of the story. Readers will become the main character and can revel in the gory, dark, horrific side of life throughout important moments in history. Humorous Handy Hints that relate directly to the text are provided on each spread. You (the reader) are an English gentleman eager ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Children's Press(CT)

Be the first to ask a question about You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!

Elizabethe
I loved this book. It combines a "daily experience" perspective with a history of the actual key events in Alexander the Great's conquest -- there were dates! and maps! I read this out loud to my K and pre-K boys and they also loved it, but I think it's definitely more appropriate for older children. Ideal (in terms of level of historical detail) for the first or even second pass as a self-read through Ancient History on a classical homeschooling timeline.

It has graphic details of gory and dist
Allison
I have always been fascinated with learning about Alexander the Great and when I came across this book on the shelves I had to give it a try. The author, Jacqueline Morley, puts the reader in the position of being a foot soldier and throughout the book she shares some information on what it is like to be one in Alexander's army. It shares some facts with the reader and gives an outline to Alexander's life, his achievements as such a young and effective leader.

This book is appropriate for ages 8
Duane
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed this series of books and this book delivers just the same amount of entertainment. We follow a man as he enters Alexander's armies. Walking thousands of miles, we see the savagery and hardships that the men encountered along the way. Filled with great illustrations and honest facts, this book is a great source of entertainment for anyone interested in the subject.
Dale
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I ran across this series at the local library. I'd never heard of it before but I certainly enjoyed You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March . It is aimed at 4th - 8th grade, depending on the reading level.

The cartoonish characters are fun, the history is accurate, although limited. That's okay, it is intended to be an introduction to the topic, not a graduate thesis. The nice thing about it is that it shows that history is not "boring." It is full o
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read many of the books in the You Wouldn't Want To... series. I like that they tackle serious historical events and show the not-so-nice side of human behavior, but in a somewhat humorous and tongue-in-cheek way. The book puts you as the reader into the center of the story, so you can imagine what life in those times was like.

Our oldest daughter is studying the Ancient Greece and Rome and we thought we'd read this book that explains a little more about the history of Alexander the Great. T
Ebookwormy1
I appreciate what this series is attempting to do - to get beyond the headlines to real life experiences of historical figures, often presenting the 'down side' of history. I agree this kind of perspective is something students need.

But this series in general and this book in particular are just okay. Worth a library check out, but not something I would want to own.

Maybe its the silly cartoon illustrations, the short attention span box format, or the perhaps the flippant writing style. Whatever,
Kelly Carey
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
It is unbelievable that Alexander's army did not rebel against his orders. It had to be difficult marching for so long and so far away from home. This book offers a glimpse at that difficult life as a solider far from home.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Asher (8yo) read.
Timothy
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I like the humor in history it gives
Amber
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of our favourites in the series so far. This series is so much fun and the illustrations are comical.
Timothy
A funny way of telling a somewhat grim story.
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Great summary of the topic.
Ciera
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a way to learn about treachorous treaking with Alexander the Great! Set in ancient Greece this book opens doors to life in the army.
Angie The Librarian
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I think Alexander "the Great" should be renamed Alexander the bad
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Greek Athlete!: Races You'd Rather Not Run
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Cleopatra!: An Egyptian Ruler You'd Rather Not Be
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer!: Voyages You'd Rather Not Make
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Sick in the 16th Century!: Diseases You'd Rather Not Catch
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!: Wharf Water Tea, You'd Rather Not Drink
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Rome Antics
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • Cleopatra
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Pegasus
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107

You Wouldn't Want to... (1 - 10 of 108 books)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!: A Life You'd Rather Not Have
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer!: Voyages You'd Rather Not Make
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be on Apollo 13!: A Mission You'd Rather Not Go on
  • You Wouldnt Want to Climb Mount Everest!: A Deadly Journey to the Top of the World
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear