Start by marking “The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)

The Lightning Stones

(Philip Mercer #8)

What was Amelia Earhartcarrying on her final flight? The adventure begins two thousand feet beneath the surface of the Earth.

Philip Mercer, a preeminent geologist with a taste for international intrigue and danger, rides an elevator two thousand feet into the earth at the Leister Deep Mine in Minnesota. Mercer is there to visit his old friend and mentor, Abraham Jacobs,
Published August 11th 2015 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightning Stones

Start your review of The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)
Michael Jensen
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
I don't normally make it a habit to factor an author's political point of view into my reviews, but when the author uses his book to make political points, well, then he's asking for it. Don't get me wrong, Du Brul has the right to interject his views into his books. Just like I have the right to critique them.

There are two political angles to this book that pissed me off. First off, it appears that Du Brul doesn't believe in climate change. His main character certainly doesn't and the book's
Lisa B.
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts
Philip Mercer is a geologist who sure seems to attract trouble. For me, this had an Indiana Jones feel - one of my favorite movie characters. Lots of action. Some a bit implausible, but who cares? I thought the story was very entertaining. Philip is smart and uses all his background knowledge to whip up on the bad guys. Rock ‘em, sock ‘em and fast paced from beginning to end. I would definitely read more stories with Philip mercer as the lead character!

Thanks to Doubleday books, via
Ty
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
this was the first Jack DuBrul title that i have not found to be excellent. it has been almost 10 years since the last Philip Mercer adventure, and maybe the author has just moved on mentally. while the story is still interesting, and the plot works in lots of great (and highly improbable) action, with fascinating historical points, it is clear that DuBrul's primary goal with this book was to put out an anti-global warming agenda. it would have been OK if he had bothered to work the ...more
Ismail
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Same old... same old. Repeated formula, poor execution. Very disappointed.
Randall Krzak
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Lightning Stones involves Philip Mercer, a geologist who always seems to be ending up in bad situations. No different this time, but a good twist involving a historical figure ties the past to the present.

While Mercer always seems to sort things out, sometimes he ends up in serious situations where his life can be on the line. This is another well-crafted story, with plenty of descriptions and action. Some might want more action, but I believe Jack has done a good balancing action and I look
Ray
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

It has been a while since I read a Jack Du Brul novel, and, after reading The Lightning Stones, I am trying to figure out what I have been thinking all these years. Du Brul writes excellent adventures, as this one was full of action from start to finish. The Lightning Stones is a globe-spanning rollicking escapade with protagonist Phillip Mercer taking the reader from the mines of Minnesota to suburban Washington, D.C.,
Marten Wennik
I picked this book to read because I have always enjoyed Clive Cussler and DuBrul has been one of his assistant writers. Also, I love aviation and the fact that the story started with Amelia Earhart and her historic and tragic flight around the globe was a hook. Let it be clearly stated that I had no hopes for this to be excellent literature, in fact, I suspected it was going to read like a typical Clive Cussler type novel.

BUT IT IS WORSE!!! Not only is the main character, Mercer, so painfully
Patty
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it

The Lightning Stones
By
Jack Du Brul

What it's all about...

Dr. Philip Mercer finds himself in the midst of a huge mess that has killed his mentor and goes back to Amelia Earhart's Pacific flight! It seems that everywhere he goes he finds mayhem. From the trip deep down into the mines to his travels all over the world...trying to stay alive and find those Lightning Stones.

Why I wanted to read it...

It sounded as though this book was going to be an adventurous kind of book...sort of an Indiana Jones
Chris
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
I've read some over the top thrillers but I couldn't take any more of this nonsense. Made it to page 78. I don't know which actions I found more unrealistic and stupid: the protagonist's or the villain's. Bad guys have just massacred some academics in a mine in Minnesota. Hero takes a huge mine dump truck and chases them down switchbacks. Trying to imagine the switchbacks in Minnesota. I've heard of the Mesabi Range but.....The hero is always a step behind the bad guys. They both show up at the ...more
Diane Saul
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr DuBrul has been writing with Clive Cussler for a few years and this is his first Phillip Mercer book in awhile. I have enjoyed the Cussler books but am glad to see a Phillip Mercer book. I have missed this character but the wait was definitely worth it! When Mercers old friend and mentor Abe is killed Mercer is determined to find the killers and avenge his friends death. Abe was involved in a project that has attracted some very ruthless people. Mercer has to figure out what it was to find ...more
Joan
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Lightning Stones is full of action, suspense, a lot of killing, a little romance, and has an imaginative take on Amelia Earhart's disappearance.

As is often too true, the person in the story who is responsible for all of the mayhem has what he deems a good cause, is interested in making money, doesn't really understand the ramifications of his actions, and hasn't a clue about what is actually happening.

This book is well-written, has a lot of surprises, and keeps the reader on edge, with just
John Wenskovitch
This book could've been 5x better if Du Brul wasn't frequently inserting his own opinions about climate change as page-long monologues and dialogues with useful idiots recently exposed as bad guys. Ignoring the fact that he uses outdated facts and long-debunked theories, it's just poor writing and immediately breaks the flow of the story. I'm surprised that no editor was competent enough to say "Dude, we got it the first time, you really don't need 7 of these."

The story also felt rushed in
Alan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After a long awaited period of time for Jack DuBrul's next book to be released; I am not disappointed at all. Of course he was writing books with Clive Cussler and I very much enjoyed those also; so thank you for those. But I was beginning to wonder when we would next see Mercer and of course his "crotchety sidekick", Harry.

This is a masterfully written novel rich in history and of course comes with plenty of action and drama one also expects with Mercer in any book as his middle name should be
Linda Harrison
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn good read!

I am so glad to see Philip Mercer is back. I have always been a fan of Jack Du Brul and have missed his fast paced adventure and dry wit. I had to make myself slow down so the thrill would last! I would recommend his books to anyone who loves adventure with a touch of education . Jack brings his characters to life and makes them someone you want to hang with.
Jane Russo
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like it so far. Have to return to the library and pick up where I left off when I get it back.
It kept my interest, I admit I scanned a few pages but otherwise action packed. I am keeping review short and sweet unlike other reviewers.
Steven Allen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Philip Mercer books. These books are very formulaic, and follow a certain pattern which is comfortable and familiar.

I wish that Mercer would settle down with one woman rather than go through a series of brief affairs, but that might change the formula of the books and cost the author readers. While some readers may like Mercer bedding a new woman (or two) each new book, I would rather see Mercer settled with one woman for good.

Other than Mercer's bedroom companions, I have
Tyler Madia
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, raucous, adventure very much in the Clive Cussler style. Nothing too heavy or deep, this just isn't that kind of story, but if you're looking for a quick action heavy romp around the world then you're in for a treat.

As a pilot and engineer myself I very much enjoy DuBrul's plot lines with his imaginative science and healthy dose of aiplanes. I am amazed to read other reviews where people were appalled that the antagonist was a global warming believer instead of the usual big business or
Leyla Caldwell
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Jack DuBrul's Phillip Mercer books. This one does not disappoint. If you are a fan of Clive Cussler, you will enjoy these books. Mercer is a geologist who finds himself in unusual situations. In this book, he is on the trail of stones that may have caused Amelia Earheart to go off course. Action, adventure and a bit of romance (with a bite!) made this book a pageturner for me.
Lynda Terrell
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How big business will go to extremes to profit

Always fast paced. Plot is hard to swallow but did not really diminish enjoyment of this book. I do enjoy Phillip Mercer books and would like one at least annually. Disappointed in introduction of political hyperbole. Let's leave it to the liars in DC.
Geoff
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!!

Great story, great characters, the only improvement would be 30 more Mercer books!!! If you like adventure, mystery, history, you have to read his books. Clive Cussler is right "the best writter!"
Tara Severns
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Another failed run at reading outside of my preferred genre. The audiobook more or less kept my attention during my commute. Had I rolled my eyes any more, though, it might have made for hazardous driving.
Nina Houghton
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well done action and adventure with a realistically flawed hero. I c
hose to read this book because I have enjoyed Jack Du Brul's books co-authored with Clive Cussler, one of my favorite authors. I wasn't disappointed.
Robin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaway
My first foray into the Philip Mercer series, but I have read many of the Clive Cussler/Jack du Brul books and have mostly enjoyed those. I may have to explore other books in the series.
Sharikae
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lightning Stones

I really liked the characters. The action was great, but some of the action seemed unbelievable. I recommend this book.
Georgia Sanden
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading. The whole story was amazingly incredible. You will love it. Where is the next one?
Addam
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
found this series because he ghost wrote for another series i liked and have started following this series too. great writing and just enough twists and turns to keep you coming back for more!
Cynthia
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Lots of action, with actual history thrown in to add an extra depth of realism to the story. Definitely worth reading, you won’t be disappointed!
Michael Rein
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
In my opinion, it was his worst book written by himself. I am a slow reader but it took longer than usual for me. Hopefully his next book gets back to the quality of his other books.
K.B. Hallman
This is completely plot-driven, so it is good for a mindless read. Highly entertaining, but characters are flat.
Scott Dann
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the protagonist. Looking forward to reading earlier books about him
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
  • The Oracle (Fargo Adventure, #11)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • Hawke (Alexander Hawke, #1)
  • Skeleton Coast (Oregon Files, #4)
  • Shadow Tyrants (Oregon Files, #13)
  • Typhoon Fury (Oregon Files, #12)
  • Corsair (Oregon Files, #6)
  • Sea of Greed (NUMA Files, #16)
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • The Rising Sea (NUMA Files, #15)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Cool Blue Tomb (Aristotle Socarides #1)
  • The Gray Ghost (Fargo Adventure, #10)
  • Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)
  • Ice Station Nautilus (Trident Deception, #3)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.

Philip Mercer (8 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
“There was nothing less imaginative or more risk averse than the bureaucratic mind.” 3 likes
“logarithms” 0 likes