Start by marking “Questions to Ask Before Marrying” as Want to Read:
Questions to Ask Before Marrying

Questions to Ask Before Marrying

A New York Times article lists fifteen questions couples should ask before marrying

Ruby Miller and her fiance, Tom Truby, have questions 1 to 14 almost covered. It's question 15 that has the Maine schoolteacher stumped: Is their relationship strong enough to withstand challenges?

Challenges like...Ruby's twin sister, Stella. The professional muse, flirt and face reader thin
Published May 27th 2008 by Red Dress Ink (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Questions to Ask Before Marrying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Questions to Ask Before Marrying

Start your review of Questions to Ask Before Marrying
Celia
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I really liked the main character Ruby and her story. She's engaged to a nice, safe guy but she's questioning her commitment due to a crush on a co-worker. She seems rational but still lets her emotions get the better of her sometimes. I guess I could understand her.

I could not stand her twin sister Stella. She is the chick lit cliche of a "free-spirit" which actually means rude, thoughtless and extremely selfish. Stella has her own story and has made
Rosmary
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story was more about having closure with their past to move forward. Besides the first chapter briefly mentioning some of the questions to ask before getting married the story had nothing to do with it.
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF. More chick lit than romance.
Danielle
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With the proposals made, the big question facing Ruby…does she choose to become Ruby Truby or Ruby McDermott? Does she stay safe in the arms of the man who’s been there through thick and thin but may be a tad boring or choose the more daring fantasy man? It’s not as easy as it seems, with a twin sisters determined to have her follow her heart regardless of the consequences and a family history of men who leave she’s more mixed up than ever. As Ruby and her sister Stella set out on a journey acro ...more
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Melissa Senate has written a slew of chick-lit books; Questions to Ask Before Marrying is her last title under the Red Dress Ink label.

Fraternal twins Ruby and Stella Miller have a lot of questions to answer before they turn thirty; such as -- why did their father abandon them years ago? Should Ruby (soon to be Ruby Truby) focus on her love for her fiance Tom or lust after her long-time friend Nick? Also, can Stella hunt down a man she experienced a one-night stand with -- to tell him she is pre
Elusive
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Based on an article which lists 15 questions that couples should ask themselves prior to getting married, Ruby attempts to answer them and in the process, discover who she really wants to be with. It’s either her stable, safe, loving fiancé Tom or handsome playboy Nick.

Ruby’s dilemma was certainly interesting. It was evident that what she had with Tom was great. He obviously cared about her and wanted to be with her yet she still found herself wondering whether she should be with Nick who gives
Sara (smb+jab)
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Based on New York Times article that lays out fifteen questions couple should ask themselves before tying the knot Ruby Miller and her fiancé, Tom Truby have fourteen of the fifteen questions covered. However it’s the last question, Is their relationship strong enough to withstand challenges that has Ruby slightly apprehensive.

These potential challenges begin to take shape at their engagement party when, Ruby’s long time fantasy crush and friend, Nick McDermott confesses his love for her putti
Shonda
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Having read Ms. Senate’s previous novels, I was looking forward to reading Questions to Ask Before Marrying. I found it to be a quick, light read (finished it in one-sitting), however I didn’t enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the others.

Stella and Ruby are sisters and are complete opposites. From their outer appearances, their views on life, their personalities, to their relationship with men. Despite their differences, both sisters truly love each other. Both are adjusting to life several years af
Ashley
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Surprising read that had a lot more depth than appearances would lead you to believe. (Old adage, don't judge a book by its cover!) If you have a sister in your life this book speaks to much of the complicated dynamic that exists. It also explores how our childhood affect us as adults without us even realizing. The novel certainly doesn't get too in depth and it remains what I would categorize as chic-lit. In the end the story wraps up nicely and leaves a smile on your face. It's a great leave a ...more
katie
Nov 01, 2009 added it
I'm rather embarrassed to admit I read this book, but I'm a sucker for chick-lits and anything wedding-related, so I thought this could be promising. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Instead, it was one of the worst books I have ever read (the 0 stars is no mistake)--unlikable characters, trite plot and, most of all, poorly written. Melissa Senate may have other books which are witty and enjoyable to read, but do yourself a favor and avoid this one.
Sherri Bryant
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
OK story about two sisters on a journey of self-discovery while trying to answer many of life's questions before one of them gets married. Couple of twists in the plot I didn't care for that nearly made this book a wallbanger for me. It was difficult at times to connect and relate to the characters.
Natasha
I was really angry with this book. The fact that Ruby slept with Nick but seemed to suffer no consequences. Tom is a great guy, and it was apparent to everyone, except her and her sister. Senate just swept her infidelity under the carpet. Because we all need to sleep with people to get over them and understand that they are a fantasy. I guess rationalising is too much to ask for.
Maureen
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I expected more just from the title but it seems the story detracts from what you would think the title suggests and goes on a wild goose chase with her searching for the answer to the last question. I would have rated it higher had the storyline been more introspective.
Carrie
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a sweet story about two sisters, Ruby and Stella, who go on a road trip together to find answers to some important questions about themselves. This road trip was lots of fun, especially in the way the sisters interacted, and the interesting characters they met along the way.

Melissa
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Karina
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A really fun chick lit that makes you think. I recommend it to all lovers of romance, women's fiction, and just those in the mood for a good story.
Angela
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2008, chick-lit
Quick, typical chick-lit book.
Bridget
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Nothing special, but an OK read.
Jenny
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
This was a very easy, fun read. If you are in the mood for something brainless this would be your book.
Tami
Sep 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Quick easy read. A little busy and hard to follow at times but pretty entertaining.
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: laura
This book is very funny and got me addicted to the author!
Amanda
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
just ok - kind of slow and predictable
Julie
Mar 09, 2009 marked it as to-read
Questions To Ask Before Marrying (Red Dress Ink) by Melissa Senate (2008)
Paula
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-mom-lit
loved this! I thought the sister was going to be a biiiig PITA but she turned out to be one of the most interesting characters. WOuld've loved to have seen more of the cousin though...
Gaurett
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
light fun easy beach read
Ashley
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute & quick read. A predictable love story with a happily ever after. ...more
Jackie
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Read this on the treadmill at the gym. Not great but passed the time.
Tj
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
classic chicklit. I read it poolside, seemed about right.
Erin
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was exactly what I expected it to be..pure fluff and a quick and easy read. Red Dress Ink reminds me of a grown up version of the 1980's Sweet Dreams teen romances.

• Consumed by You (Fighting Fire #3)
  • Fat Chance
  • Melt for Him (Fighting Fire, #2)
  • Burn for Me (Fighting Fire, #1)
  • The Last Letter from Your Lover
  • The Friend Zone
  • The Jetsetters
  • I Heart Hollywood (I Heart, #2)
  • Asking For a Friend (Boyfriend Material #1)
  • Sex and Other Shiny Objects (Boyfriend Material #2)
  • One Night Stand-In (Boyfriend Material #3)
  • All I Ask
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Your French Kisses (Boyfriend Material #4)
  • Belong to Me (Love Walked In, #2)
  • When the Lights Go Out
  • The Last One
  • The Five Times I Met Myself
I'm the author of many novels, including my debut, SEE JANE DATE (also available in cute TV movie form to stream); THE LOVE GODDESS' COOKING SCHOOL; and THE BABY SWITCH. I've had two novels published under a secret pen name, but I will happily share if you message me to ask!

I'm now writing romances for Harlequin Special Edition. 2020 kicks off my new miniseries, Dawson Family Ranch, about six sibl