Start by marking “This Is Where the World Ends” as Want to Read:
This Is Where the World Ends

This Is Where the World Ends

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  2,761 Ratings  ·  617 Reviews
Janie and Micah, Micah and Janie. That’s how it’s been ever since elementary school, when Janie Vivien moved next door. Janie says Micah is everything she is not. Where Micah is shy, Janie is outgoing. Where Micah loves music, Janie loves art. It’s the perfect friendship—as long as no one finds out about it. But then Janie goes missing and everything Micah thought he knew ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is Where the World Ends, please sign up.
Ruth Kinda but nothing that involves crazy shipping

emma
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've written many a rant in my time. But this one needs to be the roast to end them all.

This is going to be a stream of consciousness review, because I’m so fucking angry and I don’t want to think about this but my fingers are twitching with fury and I need to do something.

Also, this will be teeming with spoilers, absolutely filled with them, but I don’t care and neither should you because nobody should ever goddamn read this stupid book.

Janie Vivian is a
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I think the author is really good at creating unreliable narrators just like she successfully did with her debut novel Falling Into Place. Though I still prefer her debut novel a lot more than her second book, Amy Zhang’s writing still incredibly impresses me. I have no doubt she’s really a 50 year old literature teacher trapped in a young adult’s body. I love the way she connects scientific theories with personal and social problems people usually deal with.

But a few weeks ago, I had this conv
Rose
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE. EVER.
Shelves: arcs, horrible-mess
I am so angry. I'm so upset. I don't even know how to put this into words.

SPOILER BEFORE, BUT ALSO POSSIBLE TRIGGER:

I haven't seen any reviews or anything at all warning others that there is rape in this book. I really wish someone had told me before cause it's really triggering for me, even though it's a spoiler.

The review is kind of a rant and all over the place, so just a warning.

I'm just gonna get out the basic reasons for why I dislike this book. It's about Janie and Micah, who are neig
Melanie
Rating not final.

Me right now:

I cannot stress how highly anticipated this book was for me - Falling into Place, Ms. Zhang's debut novel was my favourite book of 2014 and since then I have reread it about 8 times. No joke. I fucking loved it.

But this book? It left me so, so disappointed.

Of course, Ms. Zhang's writing is spot on, but in terms of the plot, I still need to sort out my thoughts.

Discussion review to come with my co-blogger Celine.

---

I WILL READ ANYTHING AMY ZHANG WRITES.
Kels
I don't know. I JUST DON'T KNOW.

This is one of those reviews that makes me wish GR would finally introduce a half star rating system, because while two stars seem to undercut my feelings for this novel, three stars would be wildly overdoing it.

Yep. I know. Bookwork problems.

Amy Zhang is one heck of a talented writer. Her prose is simple and straightforward, but also addictive and charmingly poetic. In This Is Where the World Ends, her style seems to be more whimsical and fanciful, and it works
Drew
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Contrary to what I originally expected, this book is not about an apocalypse.

When I first read the title I expected something along the lines of We All Looked Up, weaving sci fi elements and character explorations together, when in fact this book doesn't come anywhere near the science fiction genre.

This book is a ridiculously melodramatic and metaphorical contemporary focusing on a teenage girl who is constantly throwing a pity party for herself.

I really couldn't stand Janie. She was a pretentio
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
i would do almost anything to get my hands on this. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

This is Where the World Ends reminded me of Paper Towns, but much less infuriating and written in a more engaging manner. Amy Zhang has a flair for writing unpredictable contemporaries with unlikable characters who get turned on their heads.

With switching perspectives between Janie (before) and Micah (after), we find out the events leading up to Micah waking up in hospital. All he remembers is a bonfire and Janie in his life
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I was sure that it was just a fluke that I didn't love Falling Into Place . Everyone and their mom loved it. Who knows, maybe my mom loved it. I loved the writing. I did not love the book. So I firmly believed that this foray into Amy Zhang's work would go better. And it did, for a time. It gave me feels. And I excuse just about anything with the right amount of feels. And this book was
Brad Sells
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
01/17/15: IDEK WHAT THIS IS ABOUT BUT IT'S AMY ZHANG AND I NEEEEEEEED

06/27/15: THAT COVER IS WONDERFUL. THAT SYNOPSIS IS INCREDIBLE. NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE.
Rebecca T
- I love Amy's writing style so fucking much. She has a beautiful way with words and I just adore how the story dips and turns.
- Good portrayal of toxic friendships.
- I felt like it had a lot of elements that were incredibly similar to other popular YA novels which made it hard for me to truly love the story.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

I've heard fantastic things about Amy Zhang's writing since her debut Falling into Place. I was lucky enough to receive an eARC of This is Where the World Ends and experience her beautiful writing firsthand.

This book contains rape, so if that is something that triggers you I would avoid this book.

Janie and Micah have known each other for a long time. They were best friends and also polar opposites. But Janie, on her way to hi
savannah 🌹
This is Where the World Ends is the type of book that is best to not know what it's about before heading into it. I am a huge fan of Amy's other novel, Falling into Place. So, when I saw that she was coming out with another stand-alone contemporary, I had to get my hands on it ASAP! I will admit, I really didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. If you guys didn't know, if there is something I hate about a book, it's most likely alternating chapters. 75% of the time, they aren't done ...more
rachel 007
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alamw-2016
Gah. This book. Gah. Amy Zhang's writing. She is 18 or 19 and writing like this and I can't wait to see what she does in 5 years' time. Seriously. Wow.

This is a book about toxic friendships and manicpixiedreamgirls and non-linear timelines and dual POVs and being a teen and thinking you know it all and high school and best friends.
Aimee
I received a copy of This is Where the World Ends from HarperCollins New Zealand to review. I have Falling into Place by Amy as well that I purchased last year but I’ve never read it.

This book was a very fast read for me but it wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read. I couldn’t connect with Janie, she was way too over the top. I didn’t understand why she wanted to keep her friendship with Micah a secret if he meant so much to her. And everything was on Janie’s terms, I don’t get why Micah put up wi
Jacquelyn
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Based on how much I absolutely adored Amy Zhang's first book, Falling into Place, I am oh so disappointed in this one. The writing was very nice and quick but other than that, I didn't enjoy it. It was so repetitive the ending was a total letdown. I was reading this thinking that it was going to be a huge buildup to something crazy at the end but nope... It just sort of wrapped up and was done. Left me so disappointed. Also, I saw someone else mention this in their review and they are SO RIGHT. ...more
Joey
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of We Were Liars

”Micah Carter, it is an honor to be alive with you.”

Make sure you buckle your seatbelts before you read this book, because you’re in for one hell of a ride.

I sometimes forget how extraordinary YA can be. I read a lot of YA books because they’re my guilty pleasure – sure, sometimes they can be cheesy as a grilled cheese sandwich and most of the time they’re rather predictable, but I just love how fun and positive they are. Whenever I finish one I always get that feeling I can’t get from any othe
Isamlq
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-galley
Loving, or even simply liking, Micah or Janie isn't the point of This is Where the World Ends. That's good, as doing either is next to impossible. The extremes in which Janie' s life is lived then described --- her utter joy in the simplest, the whimsy she'd inject into every single moment got to the point where believing such positivity became a challenge. When her fairytale fancies are contrasted to Micah (and the utter greyness in which his everything is described) well, the difference stagge ...more
Book Riot Community
Micah and Janie have been BFs for F, two peas in a pod, basically two opposites who perfectly complement the other. And it has been this way rretty much since the day Janie moved next door during elementary school. But when Janie goes missing, everything Micah thinks he knows about Janie is called into question. Told back and forth between narrators and time, this is a sad, smart, and heartwrenching story of friendship, secrets, and perception.

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all thing
Tereza Pecáková
Troch depresivní a trochu emo, ale dobře napsaný příběh.
Autorka si hraje se slovy a celé to má promyšlené na efekt, což jí ale odpustíte, protože to funguje. Je to ten typ knihy, z které se dá citovat každá druhá věta a dycky to bude znít dobře a hluboce a oduševněle.
Jestli máte rádi styl psaní Jandy Nelsonové, tohle se vám bude líbit, protože je to dost podobné. A taky proto se to líbilo i mně :)
Deyse
Trigger warming: rape and suicide

Official rating: I really, really liked but I also had a lot of problems with it. Also, reading anything about this book counts as a spoiler in my opinion so bellow there will be a shit ton of spoilers.

1. I really liked the writing on this one, as with Falling Into Place it's full of metaphors and it's very lyrical but for me it worked again, it gave me all the feels and turned this reading into a more intense one. Some of my favorites quotes bellow:

"I'm doing -
Cesar
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok

I'll be honest, I was wavering between giving this book 2 or 3 stars because even though I liked it, there were a lot of things that didn't make sense. In the end, I decided to give 2.5 stars. It wasn't bad, but not good either.

This Is Where the World Ends is about Micah and Janie and their 'friendship' and how after an accident Janie went missing. I put emphasis on friendship because I was under the impression that this was about a toxic friendship. I've seen books like that and even t
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
This is Where The World Ends was lyrically beautiful, engaging and swept me off my feet with it's charm and sense of adventure. But ultimately it was a story told in halves, the before and after referencing Micah waking up in hospital with no recollection of how or why.

Told in dual narratives, Micah and Janie couldn't be more different from one another. While he's quiet, meek and reflective, Janie is the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, fun, quirky, often irresponsible and able to charm her way out of an
Jasmine
Random update: every time I think of this book I get really angry. This book sucked. Sorry not sorry.

---------

There should definitely be a trigger warning for this book. I know the synopsis is meant to be vague and deep that can only be understood by angsty teenagers, but there is rape in here.

Overall, this book is just SAD. This book is everything you hate about high school and life amplified. Janie and Micah may have been best friends, but she was a TERRIBLE friend to him and was just a TERRI
AH
About 3-3.5 stars. The book did not wow me, however it was a quick read. I think that I had a little trouble with the writing style which kept switching from past to present and between the points of view of the main characters Janie and Micah.

I'm not going to get into plot points because the less you know going into this book, the better. I'll just say that it is not really a love story, it's more a story of two good friends who are soul mates.

I'm also going to put the trigger warning in spoi
Camryn
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I WAS NOT PREPARED
Carina Rosas
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
description

MOST ANNOYING CHARACTERS EVEEEER.

I just can't...

I meannnnn, the plot is not even that bad. Is interesting and it touches some serious and important topics, but the writing style!! Oh gosh, It was uncomfortable since sentence ONE.

description
Vika
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10/04/2016

My Thoughts

Have you ever had a book linger in your thoughts after finishing it? Or have it throw you around and upside down and make you feel things that you’ve never felt. Or had a book that just made you appreciate life more and make you want to take care of your friends and really, REALLY be there for them? Or just makes you feel like swearing at the world to pull itself together? “This is Where the World Ends” does exactly that. It was one of those books that was written beautifull
Fatima
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Thanks to HarperCollins for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This in no way impacted my views & opinions below.

This is the first Amy Zhang book I’ve ever picked up. All I could say is that it was so-so. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the writing but… I can’t say the same about the story itself. I tend to usually steer clear of books with poetic or nonlinear prose because I feel like the writing kind of takes away from the reader’s ability to connect with t
Lisa
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, audiobook

GAH! This is one of the most frustrating reviews to write!!! I mean, first of all, the writing was beautiful. GORGEOUS, actually! But the plot... like, what even just happened?! I'm still left a little like...

but

I mean, I'm all kinds of a blubbering mess right now. I'll try to put my thoughts into coherent words, but no promises.

Let's start with these characters and their interactions together. Though they claimed to be "friends", it wasn't really a friendship that I would want. Janie, s
  • The Word for Yes
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Girl Who Fell
  • The Museum of Heartbreak
Amy Zhang used to have lots of imaginary friends. When people told her to grow up, she turned her imaginary friends into characters and started telling their stories. When she isn't writing, she can be found playing piano, hitting balls on the tennis court, or struggling through her weekly existential crisis. She lives in Wisconsin with her family.
More about Amy Zhang

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List
    $8.99 $1.99
“Miracles do not belong to religions. Miracles belong to the desperate, which is why every religion, every philosophy, and most importantly, every fairy tale always has a moment of salvation, a eureka, an enlightenment. We are all chasing and chasing tails, running and running in circles, until a wolf or the witch or the stepmother jumps out and trips us, and we fall flat, splat, and we lie bare and bleeding and breathless and finally, finally look and see whatever it is---salvation or eureka or enlightenment or a hunter or prince or a glass slipper---in front of us. And that's what miracles are. Not solutions, but catalysts. Not answers, but chances.” 36 likes
“How many times can a person explode?” 12 likes