Start by marking “Death Vigil, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Death Vigil, Vol. 1

Death Vigil, Vol. 1

(Death Vigil #1-8)

Gifted? Join the Death Vigil in their ongoing war against the ever-growing power of the Primordial Enemy! Only catch is you have to die first. Become a corporeal immortal Death Knight and obtain reality-altering weaponry in the never-ending battle between good and evil.

Collects DEATH VIGIL #1-8.
Published October 14th 2015 by Image Comics (first published June 9th 2015)

Start your review of Death Vigil, Vol. 1
Norah Una Sumner
I just want to marry this volume.

I really enjoyed reading this. There's some mystery, action, bad-ass women, gorgeous art, a bit of romance even (*cough*), awesome supporting characters... what more can I ask for? Ah, this really was quite a surprise for me. I've read it last night and I'm still so hyped about it! Wish this story was at least a bit more popular! Also...love these two:

description

Stjepan Šejić je car. Nema dalje.
Sam Quixote
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm guessing writer/artist Stjepan Sejic noticed that a Goth-chick Death was the most popular character in Neil Gaiman’s bestselling The Sandman and decided to reuse the character for his series, Death Vigil. Eh, why not?

The reaper is a Goth-chick called Bernie who leads the Death Vigil, a group of immortal death knights, in a centuries-long war against the Necromancers. Our heroine is Clara, a recently deceased young woman, who discovers her boyfriend is a Necromancer and is recruited into the
Chad
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent premise, executed in typical Top Cow fashion, in that it was kind of confusing and doesn't make much sense as a whole. I liked the art in general, but I hated the computerized monsters. They were too dark and muddy. ...more
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

5+ stars, and among the best graphic novels I've read this year.

Writing is outstanding, the characters are exceptionally developed, and I love the amount of snarkiness and puns throughout this first volume. The artwork is fantastic, too. This is one of those comics that would make a great anime/cartoon.

I do have one question, though: when is the next volume coming out?
Victoria ♡
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This!!! This is one of my favourite comics! The art is amazing, the story is really interesting and I adore the characters! 8 issues isn't enough I need more of itttttt! they're all so precious and I love them with all my heart, it's a shame theres no word on more cos it ended at a cliff hanger!!! ...more
Carla
**I received a free eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

This is wonderful! I actually had high hopes for this, but it turned out to be even better than I expected.

The drawings and the color palette are very beautiful. I think it's amazing that the same person did both the art and the writing, it just shows how creative someone can be.

Bernadette the Reaper recruits people who have just died to be part of the vigil, they become immortal fighters and share th
Niki
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Man, I ADORE this series! Stjepan is a superb writer and his art is on. point. He's one of my favourite artists out there right now. I can't wait to own this as a physical book! ...more
Taylor Knight
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This graphic novel was so much fun to read. It was really different and interesting. I liked the characters and plot a lot.
Get X Serious
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The personification of Death is nothing knew, but this incarnation of the grim reaper (Bernardette... or Bernie, as the other characters call her) is much more human. She's jealous and holds grudges, acts motherly and affectionate, and even takes a lover... I mean, at one point a character stumbles in on her dancing alone in her room singing along to her iPod.

Anyhow, she's been recruiting (dead) people who are somehow "gifted". That's not really explained, but then said people become part of the
Wendy
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another masterpiece by Šejić, though I wouldn't consider this the strongest or most unique work in his recent portfolio. Death Vigil follows the adventures of Bernie the reaper and her group of handsome undead minions who battle the necromancers who serve the primordial evil of chaos, etc etc. Expect lots of monsters and tentacles and fangs--which is where the story really shines. That is, Šejić's artwork is amazing. Although his humans tend to suffer from sameface syndrome, the monstrous creatu ...more
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this comics through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

This volume gathers issues 1 to 8, and while it's not necessarily the most original take on the concept (the Reaper as a sort of goth girl + the scythe), I pretty much enjoyed it no matter what. Because, well, let's be honest: I like goth chicks with scythes. Also I always have a soft spot for necromancy in general. And when it comes to toying with tropes.

I really liked the artwork and colours, although somet
I'mogén
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was provided by Netgalley as a read for review, but of course, does not alter my opinion. :3

I'm gonna be bold and say this is one of the best comics I've ever read in my life and although I'm glad there will most likely be more, I could be completely satisfied with just reading this as a standalone bind-up!

In the first couple of pages I wasn't sure if I was going to like it all that much and I really have no reason for why I felt that way, I just had a strange vibe. Man, was that vibe wrong
The Sapphic Nerd
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, why isn't this series getting more attention!? Death Vigil is FANTASTIC! So much charm and family, a little romance, plenty of danger, adventure, delightful character interactions and banter... You name it! Everything I want in a comic is here. The Vigil feels like the family it is. Everyone's a little weird, but everyone's accepted and loved. And then they go off to stop the monsters from coming into our world!

Bernie, aka. the Reaper, is adorkable and so gosh darn charming, you'll grin wh
Jess
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is so good! Why is there only one volume!!!!
Scarlet Cameo
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
How many times we can say that death and gothic look didn't match? No one, is a combination made in heaven, and here this is doing in a really interesting way because EVERYBODY IS DEAD (or something like that). Even more the gothic essence is fortified with the colors and the illustrations (and not, you can use a lot of black and don't transmit that felling).

When you have an immortal fighters army that must fight against the necromancers you know that the things can be violent but never hope tha
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
I had such a great time with this comic. First of all, Stjepan Sejic is a phenomenal illustrator and has proven himself to be an amazing writer as well. This volume is plot-heavy, the characters are well-crafted, the action is really engaging, the enemy is appropriately scary, there is a lot of mystery surrounding one of the main characters and there is also a perky Grim Reaper - who doesn't remind me of Gaiman's Death at all; I can't really see any resemblance and I am a pretty big "Sandman" fa ...more
Erica Barnes
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this comic. It's an awesome urban fantasy with great art. The different character perspectives that are so much easier to do in comic form rather than novel, flowed brilliantly with the story. I loved the mechanics of the grim reaper and the veilrippers. So cool!

This one is definitely a buy for me. I can't wait for the next issue.
The Story Girl
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was just an okay graphic novel. I picked up because I love Stjepan Šejić's illustrations and generally love his story-telling too, but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters here or care for the plot. It was a lot of action, which isn't my thing. I like more character-driven stories or ones that make you think, not ones that are basically just about a literal war between good and evil. ...more
Katrine Austin
Great artwork, storyline not my jam

The Sejic's deliver on the graphic artistry every time. However, I couldn't relate much to either the heroes or antiheroes (vigils vs necromancers) so the plot didn't keep me that gripped. I could put the book down too easily. But not a bad read. One thumb up.
Becky
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
So good! A great premise, even better characters, non-stop action and humor and gaming references, amazing art, this book is the total package.
Ed Erwin
I like it, but I stopped after 3 issues. If volume 2 ever gets made, I'll go back and read this whole thing.

Lovely art. Nice snarky dialog. Interesting layouts. Very wordy with small text, but that is OK if reading digitally.
Anna Zsófia Csűry
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Read it in one sitting essentially, if you are into stories with eldritch monsters, this is a really entertaining read. Would recommend.
Ctgt
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on Death as a character with top notch art. I especially liked the expressions on the characters faces. Seems like that should be a no-brainer for artists but unfortunately most of them can't get it right. Reminded me of Terry Moore's work in Strangers in Paradise, Pocket Book 1.

8/10
Amy
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Death Vigil follows Bernie who is a leader of a group of warriors whose enemy is the necromancers. On her death, Clara gets offers a choice to join the Death VIgil or to die. It is here the story progressing into a fast-paced adventure with plot twists that you will not see coming.
Overall, Death Vigil is one of my favourite graphic novels that I read this year, it has such a massive world which is detailed and well explored and it is fast-paced and has really lovable characters and the artwork
Matt
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The battle of good and evil is front and center in Stjepan Sejic’s “Death Vigil: Volume I”. While there are certainly white hats, well hair, and black hats there are some important grey figures intermingling among them with amazing art by writer-artist Sejic keeping the reader engaged through the entire book.

The basics of the story is Death, aka Bernie, selects individuals who die valiantly to become Death Knights to defend the living from Necromancers who attempt to bring primordial beings to E
Venus Maneater
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Couldn't say I was thrilled when I scrolled through the first pages. Death is one of the protagonists? And it's a very cute she as well? That sound awfully familiar... Death: The High Cost of Living But that all went out the window once a boat full of ghoul pirates got dragged from the pits of hell!

Stjepan isn't doing a Neil Gaiman-ripoff at all. It's an entire new universe in it's own way, and it really, really works.

Yes, he uses some very familiar tropes (cute and innocent = actually giant mu
Nicole
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. It pretty much contains all of my favorite things: friendship to the max, finding where you below, romance, humor, death with a gothic twist, and a good chunk of the supernatural. I was pretty crushed to learn it was cancelled after issue 8, and this is all there is of the series. Luckily for us readers it wraps up pretty well, but there is a lot left for Sejic to explore. I hope he gets the opportunity to continue it at some point -- maybe exclusively online or finish ...more
Andrea
I'm about halfway through this (as the individual issues are released), so it's read and tbr at the same time.

Where Death is called Bernadette (Bernie) and collects 'dead with talent' to form the Vigil, fighting against many-eyed and much-tentacled necromancers and their summonings. Dark, humorous, tons of female characters, great artwork - definitely worth checking out.
Amber
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The first few pages were gripping and I was hooked. The female reaper was an interesting take. The premise puts a new meaning to "dying for a cause." The art was beautiful and fit the story perfectly. My only complaint is that the ending felt rushed. I'm interested in seeing where this series heads.

I received an e-copy of this through Net-Galley for an honest review
Stefan Fergus
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Much fun. Highly recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #146 Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic 1 1 Oct 31, 2015 10:35PM

• Blood Stain, Volume 1
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • The Old Guard, Book Two: Force Multiplied
  • Birthright, Vol. 6: Fatherhood
  • Birthright, Vol. 5: Belly of the Beast
  • The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth (Rat Queens, #2)
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1
  • Pulp
  • Once & Future, Vol. 2: Old English
Stjepan Šejić is a Croatian comic book writer and artist, known for his work on the series Witchblade, Aphrodite IX, Sunstone, and The Darkness among others.

News & Interviews