Start by marking “Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)

Darkness, Take My Hand

(Kenzie & Gennaro #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  26,087 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews
When Detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro agree to protect the son of a prominent psychiatrist they soon find bodies are piling up around them. What's more, all the clues point to an unlikely suspect - a serial killer who has been in prison for twenty years, so he can't be killing again, can he?

As the duo try to find out what kind of human being could perform such
Published 2006 by Bantam (first published July 12th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Take My Hand, please sign up.
Adam Shreeve Of course. There are some returning characters and you also get to understand both Patrick and Angie better as you read this brilliant series of books…moreOf course. There are some returning characters and you also get to understand both Patrick and Angie better as you read this brilliant series of books. Start from number 1 make your way through them all. (less)

·  26,087 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews

Start your review of Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
"Darkness," I said, "take my hand. Take Me away from this place." and Darkness did.

It's pretty good for a series when the second book of it is even better than the first. (A Drink Before the War) This book is that. I got really attached to the characters of Angie and Kenzie in the first book and this book cemented that fictional bond. You live in these books when you read them. Not that it's always a good thing, this book crept even my non-feeling ass out.

Kenzie and Angie take a simple case whe
Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

This second book in the Kenzie/Gennaro series is even better than the first. It retains some of the humor of the first, but is considerably darker and more violent. Bubba, the one-man army who cares for no one but Patrick and Angie, has a much more significant role which involves a fire hydrant and a bowling alley. Angie’s abusive ex-husband, Phil, has quit drinking and starts to show his decent side to a point where I actually began to like the guy. Patrick now has a s
Will Byrnes
Dennis Lehane - image from The-Talks.com

PIs Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are drawn into a malestron of violence and danger after a shrink passes along a dark tale of stalking and murder reported by a patient. When the patient's son is threatened the game is afoot. It takes a few twists and turns that lead to killer clowns, crimes of the deep past and years of revenge and psychotic control and planning. Ultra violence permeates. Dark and evil with a taste for cruelty almost kills the team a
Dan Schwent
Just when things are going great for both of them, Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are hired by a psychiatrist to find out who's stalking her son. Meanwhile, Patrick runs into a troubled girl from the neighborhood. But what do these two things have to do with an imprisioned psychopath who wants to speak with Patrick?

One of these days, I'm going to learn my lesson and have Kemper and Nancy pick out all my books for me. Kenzie and Gennaro are rapidly climbing my detective hierarchy.

Things have
Bill Kerwin

Scary serial killer stuff. Private detectives Kenzie and Genaro are likable, the killers are weird and memorable (although I must confess I'm weary of serial killers), and the Boston atmosphere is very authentic. Second in a series.
Kemper
“If you and your partner aren’t civilians and you’re not cops, then what are you?”

I shrugged. “Two idiots who aren’t half as tough as we thought we were.”

In media res is a cute little story telling trick where the writer starts in the middle or with the aftermath of the action and then drops hints and clues about what occurs in what you’re about to read. It works really well if it’s some kind series where you already know the characters. I’m a complete sucker for this tactic, and Lehane uses
Em Lost In Books
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990-99, 2017, 4-star
A psychiatrist is worried that someone is stalking her teenage son and is in danger. So she asks Kenzie and Gennaro to look out for her son. Also one her client is an abusive relationship, who disappears and poor doctor started getting threatening calls. One of the shocking thing about the disappeared client was her surname, which was "Krnzie." Once Patrick and Angie start investigations, things gets messier, nastier and bloodier with each passing day.

While Kenzie and Gennaro were brave in the f
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
In this book Patrick has started a relationship with Grace, a young doctor with a daughter, and Angie has divorced Phil. But their life will soon be turned upside down. A psychiatrist hires Angie and Patrick to watch over her son who she is scared is a target by the Irish mafia. But they never imagine what the case will do to their life...

This book grabbed a hold of me from the beginning and kept its hold until the end. The first book was good, this book was awesome. The story was tragic, distu
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Tell me, what are all-time favorites made of? Perhaps we all have a different definition for them, but mine? I read so much that a great, even amazing book can get sidelined if it doesn't leave a mark on me. On the contrary, a flawed one can earn its stripes if the emotions it makes me feel are unforgettable.

I'd say that if there were one lesson to be learnt from this experience, is that Darkness, Take My Hand will linger. Oh, yes, it will.

a fucked-up male lead I grew to adore and for whom I
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

"Eviscerate them, Patrick. Kill them all."

photo tumblr_nlo21bFemW1u71rboo1_500_zpsn2lmpfli.gif

I can't say that I went into this book series knowing what I was going to be reading. I also can't say that it was what I would expect it to be. Thought provoking, beautiful writing is a high point in this series, and I'm ashamed to admit I was shocked that that was the case. From page one of book one, I have been enamored with the depth of these stories and the amazing writing that pulls you in whether you want to be sucked in or not....
Rosa, really

I don't know what to say, except, maybe...

Now this is a read, motherfuckers. And...

Well, except read A Drink Before the War first because the idea of anyone reading series books out of order not only gives me an anxiety attack but it's just wrong and should be punished with jail time. Or a nice spork in the eye.

Anyway, I don't often get that ohmigawdIhavetodonothingbutreaduntilIfindoutwhathaaaapeeeens feeling, but I got it here. It's such a nice feeling. Makes me so happy to be a reader.

Love the
Karl Marberger
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Strong read. Dark
Mara
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Richard, Kemper, James, Trudi
Hot on the heels of finishing A Drink Before the War , I felt ready for another dose of Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro in my life. Actually, rave reviews for this second volume In Dennis Lehane's detective duo series were what lead me to read the first. After all, what girl can resist a promise of serial murders and Boston days of yore? Not this one.

The case starts off simply enough, a psychiatrist receives a photograph of her son and a menacing phone call, possibly Mafia associated, and
Antigone
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boston private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are hired by a psychiatrist with a troublesome tale to tell. A young woman had come in for a counseling session regarding her abusive boyfriend. The boyfriend learned of the meeting and began to issue threats - the latest via a manila envelope containing what appears to be a surveillance photo of the doctor's son. The identity of the boyfriend shocks Pat and Angie. They grew up with Kevin Hurlihy who is, yes, a certified psychotic cu ...more
Wanda
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Noir detective stories
I read this book to fill the Set in New England square on my 2016 Halloween Book Bingo card.

Wow, this was gritty and dark. A part of Boston that had never, ever crossed my mind—the Irish working class and the mafia that sprang from them. And the two investigators, Patrick and Angela, not only share this background but have stuck around & continued to work in it.

I missed the first book and truthfully I don’t know that I will read another in the series. One dose of bleakness may be sufficient for
William
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent... Far better than the first book, but still flawed in the middle third.

This book starts and ends very well, very exciting and fun. Patrick's new loves, Grace and her daughter Mae, appear suddenly and unexpectedly. Angela is off slumming in bars, and she and Patrick seem back to The Friend Zone again. What happened in-between the first two books? The barely restrained (and terrific) passion between Patrick and Angela is suddenly missing at the start of this book. 😞

As is often the case
Perry
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psycho Secrets in South Boston Badlands

This was my first Lehane PI novel, a psychological suspense that drew me in with an intriguing and plausible plot, in which the gritty characters were developed well enough for me to connect with them. Lehane created just the right amount of sexual tension between the PI partners, Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro, to keep an undercurrent buzzing. I found the story gripping as it threw me into a harbor of bad blood, mobsters and psychos in South Boston (Sout
Terence M ;-)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-five-stars
Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro #2)
by Dennis Lehane
Audiobook, Length: 12:17 hours, Narrator: Jonathan Davis

With over 1,000 written reviews in Goodreads, I don’t intend to recap the story and plot line of Darkness, Take My Hand. I’d rather comment on some of the characters, the writing, and how the book affected me.

Beset as I am with advancing age (77) and a variety of illnesses, I, nevertheless, believe I am in possession of all, or at least most, of my mental marbles. So, when I say I
Maxwell
[3.5 stars]

Another good installment in Lehane's mystery detective series. These are by no means mind-blowing, but if you want a gritty (and I mean gritty) thriller/mystery, these hit the spot. I'll definitely keep up with the series since my library has them all.
Toby
It's like a James Patterson. Only, you know, good.

It might seem churlish of me to criticise a 510 page book that I finished (and enjoyed) in record breaking time as being too populist to be truly great but the fact of the matter is that this series jumped from what I might consider hard-boiled and noir in to thriller territory marked for mass consumption by people who prefer their font to be on the larger size in the space of one book.

I complained in my review of book 1 that Lehane drifted far t
Richard
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
9/10

Me and the little lady were planning on going to New England in the “Fall” and, among other areas, visiting Boston. This book did enough to make me have a re-think on that one! I mean there are serial killers roaming around for a number of years going undetected, mafia folk doing what mafia folk do (making people swim with the fishes), psychotic friends who like to use fire hydrants as a beating tool, and two private eye’s who are trying to figure out the whole sorry mess.

But that is just th
Molly
Read in January ... a better late than never, mini REALLY mini-review

Rating, 4.5

(City Hunter posters remind me of Patrick and Ange)
description

The second installment in the Kenzie & Gennaro series grabbed me from the first page. Darker and more disturbing than A Drink Before the War, again filled with suspense and great characters. Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro take a new case. A new client. At first glance a simple stalking case.

description

Than a wave of gruesome murders spreads through the neighborhood. A seria
Em*bedded-in-books*
Very boring and pointless.
A loose story stung around violent murders . I can't imagine that the author of the stunning Shutter Island wrote this one. Sometimes I don't like the crime , but I like the private lives of the detectives...and end up enjoying the story despite a weak crime . But in this one, I didnt develop any interest in Kenzie or Gennaro.
May not continue with the series . Not worth my time .
Jonathan Peto
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The blurb on the back cover refers to a serial killer. Usually that would be a show stopper for me, because serial killers do not fascinate me at all, especially the Mensa type that seem to overpopulate thrillers. If not for Lehane's reputation, especially among various friends here on Goodreads, I'm sure I would have passed. Lehane's serial killer does spout some spooky stupid mumbo jumbo, but by the time I got to it, I didn't give a hoot.

This is Lehane's second novel. I read and enjoyed his fi
Brandon
A well known Boston psychiatrist has been receiving threats and promptly hires private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro to look into the source. What starts out as a simple task turns into a violent bloodbath as Kenzie and Gennaro’s world comes undone.

Dennis Lehane is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Where do I even start with this one? Darkness, Take My Hand takes everything about the first novel – A Drink Before the War – and improves upon it, which I didn’t think was e
Kaora
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A priest getting shot and the serial killer who entered my life and the latest “ethnic cleansing” being wrought in a former Soviet republic or the man who shot up an abortion clinic not far from here or another serial killer who’s killed ten in Utah and has yet to be caught—none of it is connected.

But sometimes it feels like it is, as if somewhere there’s a thread to all these events, all these random, arbitrary violences, and that if we can just figure out where that thread begins, we can pull
ALAIN A BERTRAND
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but well made up for it at around the 40% mark. The inmate character was used just at the right dose. I will read again from this author!
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
A brief history...I saw and enjoyed the movie Gone baby gone then found out it was based on a book then found out it was a series of books then promptly forgot about them. Later I read this particular book was quite suspenseful and nasty then promptly forgot about it and, well, here we are....

I'll admit, while I waa enjoying the book the first two hundred or so pages where not particularly suspenseful or nasty then the book shifted into high gear and gave way to a great story of tracking a coupl
Patricia Williams
Until I read this book I forgot how much I loved Dennis Lehane's writing. This was an older book but was chosen for my book club and I'm so glad since it renewed my interest in reading his book and I have read most of them although I had not read this one. this was a really good mystery with excellent characters. The two main characters were wonderful and you really liked them and cared about them. Many of the others were very good too. You were totally into this small part of Boston. I have loo ...more
Fred
Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro - hired by Boston Psychiatrist, Diandra Warren to protect her son, Jason. Murders found lead to a "serial killer" - her patient recently released from prison after 20 years - you find he's killing again? The Boston Mafia does become involve. His murders are graphic & fights with Kenzie/Gennaro are life threatening. How can he be stopped?

Difficult to finish...many characters & they do not flow as easy as in other of his books.....
But being from Boston the histori
Goodreads Librari...: NEW PAGE COUNT REQUEST 1 16 Aug 24, 2017 12:08PM

• The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole, #8)
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • The Last Good Kiss (C.W. Sughrue, #1)
  • Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)
  • Heaven's Prisoners (Dave Robicheaux, #2)
  • Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family and the Bloody Fall of La Cosa Nostra
  • Leather Maiden
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • Time to Murder and Create (Matthew Scudder, #2)
  • Soul Circus (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn, #3)
  • Right as Rain (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn #1)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • A Firing Offense (Nick Stefanos #1)
  • Black Cherry Blues (Dave Robicheaux, #3)
  • Ögonvittnet (Morden i Lerviken, #1)
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • A Stained White Radiance (Dave Robicheaux, #5)
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more

Kenzie & Gennaro (6 books)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)
  • Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...
“But I often think we talk way too much in this society, that we consider verbalization a panacea that it very often is not, and that we turn a blind eye to the sort of morbid self-absorption that becomes a predictable by-product of it.” 19 likes
“I once again felt an odd flush of admiration for my partner's faith in a religion I had long ago abandoned. She doesn't advertise it or announce it at every turn, and she has nothing but scorn for the patriarchal hierarchy that runs the church, but she nevertheless holds firm to a belief in the religion and ritual with a quiet intensity that can't be shaken.” 3 likes