Start by marking “Dive Into Python” as Want to Read:
Dive Into Python

Dive Into Python

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Whether you're an experienced programmer looking to get into Python or grizzled Python veteran who remembers the days when you had to import the string module, Dive Into Python is your 'desert island' Python book.

-- Joey deVilla, Slashdot contributor

As a complete newbie to the language...I constantly had those little thoughts like, 'this is the way a programming language s
Published November 5th 2004 by Apress (first published May 20th 2004)

Smsu Library
We have some books on python, but I believe they are a bit dated. This is a user friendly guide that is up to date and would be a great resource for computer science students learning code (as the scripts are some of the most user friendly and introductory).

I would recommend it for the general collection.
NP
Asiful Nobel
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book for someone who has prior programming experience and wants to learn Python. Moreover, this book may be a bit too much for someone who is looking to begin learning programming.

Dive Into Python really stayed with me over the years, because it was the first book I had read that did not feel like a copycat and had contents that are used by me even now at work.

P.S. Python 2 is dead. If you are looking to buy this book, don't. Instead obtain the Dive Into Python 3 book.
Iurie Cojocari
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome
John
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
This is a decent introduction to an odd computer language.

The book is marred by occasional errors and inconsistencies; a chatty writing style ("You were discussing the Open feature"); frequent chirpiness ("The only reason you haven't seen them until now is that Python is good at so many other things that you don't need them as often."); and excessive use of the second-person. I know I shouldn't expect great lit from tech books, but he kinda bugged me.

The author gives the impression that there a
Peter Hutkins
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Half way through Chp5 of 2004's "Dive Into Python" book, I decided to switch to the "Dive Into Python 3" book, which targets Python 3 instead of Python 2. At this moment in time, I think it is hard for someone learning Python to choose between Python 2 or Python 3. They are different enough that Python 2 programs will not work on a Python 3 interpreter, and vice-versa (when basic constructs like "print" have a different syntax, I feel comfortable pronouncing "will not work"). The IDEs (Titanium ...more
Kelvin Kou
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Admittedly, it is a dull and dry read, but I am not complaining. Plowing through this book has given me a fairly good grasp of Python's syntax, strengths, limitations, and design philosophy. I also appreciate the occasional tips, tricks, or caveats specific to programming in Python.
Igor
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
The book is good enough to see how wide is the area of Python applications. But it does not discover all core Python programming techniques. Reader becomes rather excited with the language possibilities than gets applicable skills to implement own programs effectively.
Jacob
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A pithy, lucid primer to one of the more useful and accessible programming languages out there. The full text of this book is available online at no cost, and that's how I read it, but I bought the book out of sheer gratitude.
Tarashish Mishra
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you already no the basics of programming, this book is great. It gives the reader a overview of the wide range of fields where python can be used. And you get to learn by doing stuff, which is IMHO the best way to learn.
Breccan
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I can't say I liked the writing style of this. Lots of the important information is here, I gather the python 3 version is much better. But no one seems to use python 3 yet.
Devin
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
A must read for those interested in Python. You can read it for free online, but it's worth buying if you don't like reading books on the computer.
Dmitry Fink
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
too much of the book deals with stuff I don't care about (xml parsing), skipped most of it
Mehdi
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: python
NICE BOOk !
Dan
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Much better than the python tutorial at www.python.org Go through this after you do the tutorial, its much more in depth and has better exercises.
Jer
Feb 07, 2012 marked it as to-read
Available online for free! Bless them.
Imran
python ? who would not know about it.
Laurens Bosscher
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: web-development
I can't really recommend this book to anyone, sure it has some great concepts but it's a tad old and some of the stuff that Mark Pilgrim teaches is old and should never be used in real life.
Shinichi
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: test, myfavorite
Www
Mohammad Laif
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev
This is good book but old version, for the newer one check Dive Into Python 3. I parse through it to see if contains any different information, none found. The new version is better btw.
Sherif Shehab
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Good intro to Python, have different topics, but for me It wasn't the best. Didn't like It much, but that's a personal taste anyway.
Popexizhi
  • Python Cookbook
  • Programming Python
  • Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
  • ANSI Common Lisp
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • Natural Language Processing with Python
  • Test-Driven Web Development with Python
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Algorithms in a Nutshell

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes
    $21.99 $3.99
  • The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life
  • Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Woman's Worth