Start by marking “Worthy” as Want to Read:
Worthy

Worthy

They might’ve been a family.

Virginia finally had the chance to explore a relationship with Aaron when he asked her on a date. She had been waiting, hoping that the widower and his young son, Buddy, would welcome her into their lives. But a terrible tragedy strikes on the night of their first kiss, crushing their hopes for a future together.

Nineteen years later, Virginia is
Published June 2nd 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Worthy, please sign up.

Celia
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, audio, 2018-read
A sweet story, but not enough dog.

The audio was disconcerting as well. There were two readers, one male, one female. When a chapter was about a male, Buddy, for instance, the male would try to mimic a female voice when necessary. I kept thinking, you have a female narrator. Why isn't she speaking for the female in this chapter.

3 stars
Jules
I absolutely LOVED this book. It was such a heart breaking and heart warming story. It made me cry real tears and also smile. I adored the wonderful and very real feeling characters, including the dogs.

With listening to it as an audiobook, the characters really came to life and kept me company while I was home alone over the weekend. I actually felt quite sad when this book finished, as I really missed the characters that had been with me for a couple of days.

I can’t wait to read or listen to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I would like to thank Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC of this book!

I have read some many of Catherine Ryan Hyde's books and there are so many I love as favorites, this is a new one. She can write such heartfelt books.

Aaron and his 4 year old son Buddy and their dog Sheila walk every day to the diner just so Aaron can spend time with Virginia (Ginnie). They eat as well of course :) Aaron and Ginnie have feelings for each other and he finally gets up the nerve to kiss her and ask
Ian
Twenty years earlier, Virginia had met the man she planned on spending her life with. Then tragedy struck and not only did she lose the love of her life but she also lost any chance at being a part of his young son's life.
When her dog goes missing it is that same boy, now in his early twenties who rescues him. He still suffers from the accident that took his father. He is terrified of his own shadow. But together with a dog they somehow take the first steps at rebuilding their lives.

Loved this
sue

What a heart warming, heart breaking, true to life, sensitive story this is. Its written the way only Catherine Ryan Hyde can. She brings it all out to the fore. I just am such a fan of her work and read almost all of her books now.

Each day Aaron and his son who is only 4 years old walk to the diner to spend some time with Ginnie. Aaron has had a soft spot for Ginnie since...oh...forever, and finally he brazens it out and kisses her and asks her on a date.

But wow, on the way home walking back a
Melodie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for animal-based fiction, and I picked up a couple of this author's
books for that reason. The author and I are off to a good start with this one.
Second chances are the focus here for a boy named Buddy, a woman named Virginia and a dog named Worthy.The story is heart-breaking and uplifting. I ran the gamut of emotion as I found myself invested in these characters. And the double meaning of the book's title hit home. Yep, she and I are off to a great start.
Joan
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One quiet, sensitive young man called Jody, sadly bereaved and now left all on his own, all his family gone, except for an abandoned dog that he’s recently adopted after he’d come upon the scene of the friendly dog being dumped in a forest in the freezing, icy snow and winds. That dog would have been a gonner if he’d not taken him in. Now they are truly bonded, ready for their new lives together.

One lady, Virginia, newly engaged to be married in her later years, but searching fruitlessly for her
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Nice cover.

Catherine Ryan Hyde’s WORTHY is a lighthearted, simple yet painful story of a sensitive mentally challenged little boy, and a lonely adult woman, both connected by their love of one lovable dog--a past, a loss, a tragedy, and memories which forever changes the course of their lives.

Aaron is a raising a four year old son, Buddy with fears of everything. He has phobias, and does no
Monica Mac
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I had a good idea how the basic story was going to unfold, but I was unprepared for the way this author had with subtle nuances and it is those which gave this book its emotional depth.

Virginia meets Aaron, who is a widower and a dad of a small boy. Something happens, right after their first kiss, and Virginia's heart is broken. Fast forward 19 years and bit by bit, the past is explained.

I won't say anything more, but suffice to say that the story was beautifully told
Tara - Running 'n' Reading
During a vacation to Mexico, while lounging on the beach, a woman in a chair close to us got up and walked toward the ocean for a swim; her husband, sitting on the other side of her, was now visible to us and had a book in his hand, close to his face. I realized that he appeared to be crying and discreetly pointed out this fact to my husband; he said, "Wow. I wonder what's he's reading?" Shortly after, we discovered that he was reading Marley & Me. Later, the gentleman passed us by, shaking ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Worthy is one of those books that draws the reader in. Catherine Ryan Hyde has such a distinct voice and the way she tells her stories makes the characters so real. She takes her time building the story and the characters, creating an attachment between the story within the pages and the reader themselves. There is something for every reader in Worthy and this is one of those books I will not soon forget. 5 stars
Marleen
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Mandi
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Catherine Ryan Hyde has a gift of writing beautiful characters. I have not yet finished one of her novels without feeling a great drive to make myself a better person.

Longtime readers of my blog are well aware of my love affair with the writing of Catherine Ryan Hyde. She writes incredibly believable, flawed, beautiful characters and has a way of making a 'simple' story(i.e. no giant plot twists, explosions, etc.) beautifully nuanced and softly entrancing, so that the reader falls into the story
Brenda Perlin
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worthy by Catherine Ryan Hyde is a beautifully well-crafted story that took me right in from the very first scenes. You don't have to be an animal lover to be moved by this heart-felt drama. There are real life emotions that kept me as a reader interested, involved and entertained throughout. This is a deeply moving story that pulled on my heartstrings and made me hopeful for a happy ending. Very realistic and nicely written, I highly recommend this endearing story of love. Worthy is not only to ...more
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I can't really express how much I love this book. Now overall, I am pretty sure I tend to rate books with dogs in them rather high, since I am such a dog lover, but realizing that, I am trying to more closely analyze those types of books before jumping into a review. Taking that into account, I still have to give Worthy 5 stars. I have not previously read any of Hyde's works, and was drawn into this one when I saw it on Netgalley strictly by the cover. However, it proved to be a good leap of fai ...more
Karyn Niedert
I truly enjoy most Catherine Ryan Hyde books, but this was a little too damn sad for my taste. The author takes a strong woman in a bad situation with her fiancé, a young man she knew when he was a child, and smashed it all together in a blender of despair. The book's ending was satisfactory, and there were no pesky threads left dangling, but I felt the resolution was a little trite. I still zipped right through it, and stayed up far later last night than I should have to finish it, because abov ...more
Lesley
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
Virginia and Jody both have losses in their life. A wonderful but at times a little sad story of the dog that brought these two together in their time of need.
another charming heartwarming tale by this author. I have not been disappointed yet by any of her books.
thank you netgalley for this s advance copy of this book. loved it!
Gloria A. Matsuba
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching

I knew where the plot was heading, but kept reading to know for sure that all the characters were hoping to be OK. It's that kind of book - as the reader you care what happens to the people. The length of this book does not allow for character development; however, they are believable and consistent.
Allison
Very sweet story. Wish there was more to the 'reveal'. The ending dragged for me, a little too Hallmark-y.
Vannetta Chapman
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Catherine Ryan Hyde. I mean look at that book cover. How could it NOT be awesome?
Rick
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hyde's trademarks are books filled with heart, poignancy, and genuine compassion. This one is no different--keep a box of tissues handy.
Katy Noyes
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of coincidence, sadness and finding 'family'

From the author of 'Pay it Forward', a moving tale, though it does rely heavily on coincidence for the story to work and the elements to fit together.

Nearly twenty years ago, a young boy named Buddy undergoes a traumatic night severing his family apart, and he leaves the small town he knows as home. Now Virginia, a waitress who knew Buddy as a boy is about to marry someone in that town, and her beloved dog goes missing in the depths of winter..
claudia
Julie Valerie
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A tense, tragic scene begins on page 37, builds in noise and intensity, not letting up until page 43. I’m pretty sure I held my breath during all six pages and when it was over, I felt as if I’d returned to the pages of Cold Sassy Tree, a novel by Olive Ann Burns that I loved and read almost twenty years ago.

This second inciting incident (I’m counting the first inciting incident as Virginia meeting Aaron and Buddy) changes the fate of the characters for the rest of the story and it was my dogged
Angela Holtz
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge book. And I loved it!

It's no secret, I love books about lonely people finding each other. But I have never met a character I can relate to more than Jody. He is a very shy and quiet young man who gets fairly freaked out by people. Virginia is a waitress about to settle for a real jerk. Said jerk dumps her dog off by the lake because he can't handle the competition. Jody saves the dog and changes his name from T.Rex to Worthy. He knew someone was looki
Paula Sealey
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Diner waitress Virginia is thrilled when widower Aaron finally asks her on a date. She has been dreaming of the moment, and has already imagined herself becoming a part of his and his young son Buddy's lives. When tragedy strikes that very night, young Buddy is taken away to live with his grandparents, and Virginia is left to grieve a relationship that never really started.

Nineteen years later and Virginia is engaged, but she has never forgotten Aaron or Buddy. When her dog disappears and is fou
Cheryl
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. - Desmond Tutu

I've read many of author Hyde's books, including the wonderful PAY IT FORWARD. She has a real talent for getting the reader's attention from the first page and keeping it until the very last words of the story.

In WORTHY, waitress Virginia is well on her way to falling in love with Aaron, a widower with four year old son Buddy. And on the day that she is asked for her first date with Aaron, a horrific acc
Desiree Haight
Totally contrived, the characters are irritating, and there are huge gaps in the story. After his dad dies, Buddy moved to Florida with his grandparents. Fast forward 19 years, and apparently he's back in the small town where his dad died, but we have no idea when or why they moved back. And if it's such a small town, wouldn't Virginia have known he was there? After Virginia's douchebag fiance dumps her dog in the middle of nowhere to die, Buddy/Jody rescues him. Granted he's emotionally disturb ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Endearing

A story of Buddy also known as Jody who loses his father on the way back from the diner where his father is enamored with the waitress. After the accident he ends up living with his grandparents in Florida. Buddy is a bit slow but manages to do everyday things to get by. When grandma died they end up going back to the cabin where eventually Buddy meets up with the waitress and while it is 15 years later Buddy slowly remembers the incidents that brought him to his present state. A poigna
Lisa Mills
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Jody’s life is turned upside down. He is a little challenged socially and lives off of his grandfather’s social security. He witnesses an act of animal cruelty and takes on a wonderful dog. Virginia is linked to Jody and when things with Jody’s grandfather don’t go so well she realizes she knows Jody from many years before. She can potentially make his life really easy. Way too easy for real life I think. But hey it lightens up the book. It is about a good dog bringing two people together.
Play Book Tag: Worthy, Catherine Ryan Hyde 5 Stars 3 13 Apr 23, 2016 05:11PM
  • The Dog That Whispered
  • Love & Other Lies
  • Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable
  • Bird After Bird
  • Gimme Some Sugar (Southern Eclectic, #3)
  • Wolf
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • The Case of the Double Bumblebee Sting (Hank the Cowdog, #22)
  • Buying the Farm
  • Finding Mr. Right
  • Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life
  • A Grand Race (Sutton Family, #3)
  • The Truth about Dogs: An Inquiry into Ancestry Social Conventions Mental Habits Moral Fiber Canis fami
  • 97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir
“Jody picked his way downhill along Highway 22, Worthy trotting along beside him on an improvised rope leash. Jody didn’t like the rope. It looked shabby, and the last thing he wanted was to mark the dog’s value that way.” 2 likes
“Not a one of us can be everything somebody else wants us to be. Trouble comes when we try to pretend we can. Or when people see it like a betrayal. You know. That somebody won’t meet all their needs. My mom used to say it’s because we weren’t put here on earth to take care of each other. And that it’s silly to get mad at someone for letting you down when they’re just being who they are. She said it’s like getting mad at your dog for not being a cat.” 2 likes