Start by marking “Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

God Made You for Resurrection Life
Work. Food. Friendship. Does Jesus' Resurrection mean something for them? Eugene Peterson answers with a resounding YES.

Dive deep with Peterson into the Gospel stories of the Resurrection. Experience the wonder through the eyes of the biblical witnesses. Discover how the practices and perspectives of resurrection life transform your daily
Published January 18th 2006 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published January 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Living the Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the Resurrection

Start your review of Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life
Mark Oppenlander
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This short little book is based on a series of sermons from Eugene Peterson on how to keep the Resurrection central to our lives as Christians. Based on an examination of the Resurrection narratives in each of the gospels, Peterson suggests three spiritual disciplines as ways of developing a Resurrection practice: Sabbath-keeping, the Eucharist and the naming of others in community (i.e. knowing and being known).

There was nothing in this book that struck me as particularly revelatory; I have con
Jim
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One definition for mystic, is mysteriously spiritual. That sounds like Eugene Peterson and it sounds like this book. Peterson was a Bible scholar and translator, a teacher, pastor, writer, poet and mystic. This small book is about living the everyday life in light of, and in the presence of the resurrected and living Jesus. Parts of the book are absolutely beautiful, and other times I had no idea what he was talking about. He writes about engaging life and Jesus through wonder, meals and friends ...more
Jim Cooper
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
Reading Eugene Peterson is a delight.

This is my 16th Peterson book, and I'm always a little afraid when I see one this short that it's just a repackaging of something he's already taught. I was worried that this might be just a rehash of other things he's written about resurrection, or maybe a shortened version of his very in-depth book Practice Resurrection. But this book (re-released in 2020, but originally written in 2006) is a fresh look at the topic.

Yes, his main point is the same as it alw
Arun Thamizhvanan
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Classic Eugene's writing. Felt like a sermon more than a book
Conrade Yap
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eugene Peterson is one of the most loved authors in the evangelical world. What makes him most readable is his creative use of words and how he crafts ideas together in a manner that helps us see ordinary things in extraordinary ways. Most of all, he is Bible-centered. He is what I call a word-smith, and a teacher of the Word of God. What is the book about? It's about the resurrection of Jesus. Here, Peterson shows us at least three things that help us incorporate the reality of the resurrection ...more
Herbert
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Peterson is so good at getting his readers to see the disconnect between the faith they know and the faith they live. In this little book his goal is to get readers to practice the resurrection life. We do this by cultivating a sense of wonder (chapter 1), partaking in resurrection meals (ch. 2), and hanging out with resurrection friends (ch. 3). This book is particularly provocative in its diatribe against the 21st-century commercialization of the Christian faith—especially Evangelicalism. The ...more
Amy
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
gordon has raved about this for a long time so i'm giving it a shot.
Mariella
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is held among the Judaism's belief that resurrection is an event that will occur in the future. Yet resurrection is at the crux of the Christian faith and Jesus's resurrection among the living signifies a new beginning for his followers, that they too will begin to experience the resurrection here and now and not only in the far future after death. Resurrection primarily begins when we put to death our will to live on our own terms and instead choosing to live on God's terms. This God that we ...more
Cinnamon Dickens
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a bit conflicted by these three stars because there is some gold in these pages. Peterson's thoughts on sacredness in the ordinary do not just resound as truth but are just plain beautiful. I have never been so excited about celebrating communion. His paragraphs on repentance should be required reading. He explains the parallel between the breath given to man at Creation and the breath Jesus breathed on His disciples. There is just so much good stuff. However, Peterson ends up in the weeds ...more
Courtney
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I always enjoy Peterson's pastoral, down-to-earth style. This book had some great points of theology and application. My favorite line reminded readers that Christ's resurrection provides both the foundation and the means for our new life. Peterson applied "resurrection living" to sharing meals and communion, baptism, and keeping Sabbath. Overall, this was an enjoyable read but a bit disjointed (other reviewers have implied that it draws from a collection of essays/sermons, which would make sens ...more
Timothy N Brooks
Disjointed

I wanted to read this book because Peterson always brings new insight to the subject . He did not disappoint. I very much appreciated his points that Christian formation takes place in everyday life and that we experience resurrection and community . However in spite of Some attempts to tie the book together it seemed like a series of essays.
Tabitha McDuffee
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book is excellent for devotional reading or for anyone who wants to better understand the relevance of Christ’s resurrection to the Christian life. Contrary to popular belief among lay people, the resurrection isn’t just intended to secure our bodily resurrection after physical death, but has significance for our lives today.
Kim
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peterson designs a beautiful and compelling challenge for followers of Jesus to live in and live out of the Resurrection provided. With the understanding that a life of journey is an invitation to wonder, communion instead of remaining a spectator or lone ranger.
Daniel Harding
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peterson’s writing makes my soul pause. When my soul pauses I find myself not looking at others but at my own life. The simple explanation for how the resurrection should change our daily lives is grounded and simple. Worth rereading.
Pam
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent theology for Easter and all year!
Mike
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Read about half of this and then decided to move on. Peterson has written some wonderful books, but I don't think this is one of them. Too much of it feels stretched out in order to fill the pages.
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology, jesus
The first chapter, on Sabbath and work, is fantastic. Otherwise it's mostly forgettable, though not bad. Just basic truths written well.
Jay Winters
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Book Closing:
I needed a good, quick read for a group that I read with before Easter came and I had this book sitting on my shelf. I was half right, it was a quick read. It wasn't horrible, but it couldn't really be called good either.

Eugene Peterson's book "Living the Resurrection" is about living out our Resurrected lives in three ways:

Sabbath Keeping

Communing (Sacramental and ordinary)

Living out Baptismal Identity

Each of these three topics receive treatment in their own chapters, with a short
Mindy Detweiler
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Eugene Peterson who is know for The Message paraphrase of the Bible takes on the subject of the Resurrection of Jesus and how it should effect our everyday lives.

This was a very Short book and I felt alittle rushed in spots like the author was trying to get alot of information into the book with a small amount of space. I had to reread a few passages because I really couldn't figure out where the author was trying to go to, but after I reread it I figured it out.

All that being said I felt that
Jared Totten
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Living the Resurrection is just three chapters long as Peterson describes how the resurrection meets us in the three sacraments of Sabbath, communion and baptism. Though this seems a simple enough of a concept, I found myself struggling to follow the ideas and themes throughout. In fact, I didn't even realize the three central ideas of Sabbath, communion and baptism until it was explicitly stated on page 94. While is a short 123 pages, I must confess it began to feel long since it is only broken ...more
Zack Migioia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent Book! I love Eugene Peterson's writing style and also really appreciate his heart for authenticity and for the gospel.

This book seeks to persuade the reader that the resurrection is not just a foreign concept, a theological category, or merely something that happens one day when Christ reigns. The resurrection is applied to everyday life and it causes us to live with Christ, as resurrected men and women.

Peterson addresses and handles this topic from a biblical, evangelical standpoint
David Campton
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This reads more like 3 essays or lectures than a more developed and coherent book. In it Peterson argues for the place of sabbath keeping, table fellowship and the practice of baptism in our deepening fellowship with the risen Christ. It carries some of his characteristic profound and poetic insights that come from a pastor's heart wedded to a scholar's mind, but in some places the complexity of his reasoning runs counter to his appeal for less elitism and dependence upon spiritual experts in th ...more
Adam Shields
Short Review: This is a prior and shorter version of Peterson's Practice Resurrection. The content isn't bad, but Practice Resurrection is a much better book. I would recommend you read that instead and if you have already read Practice Resurrection, there is not really anything new or different here. Only reason to read this is if you have not read other Peterson books and you have Amazon prime and a kindle because it is one of the prime books you can borrow from Amazon.

My full review is on my
Jon Anderson
Short work by Peterson but chocked full of wonderful insights. Peterson is interested in Christians not limiting the Resurrection only to some future event but to knowing the power of the resurrection in the here and now. Hard hitting on the professionalization of the Christian life and the loss of a sense of wonder. At times, the ideas seem disconnected and you wish for some more (that may be what one finds in his larger work, PRACTICE RESURRECTION)but what is here is powerful, counter-cultural ...more
Daniel Stewart
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this book helpful as I sought to deepen my sense of the resurrection this easter season. Peterson provides some valuable insight into how the resurrection should not only infiltrate but deeply influence our day-to-day lives (everything from work to meals). That being said, I felt as though many of the "gems" (the noteworthy points) were immersed in lengthy text and required sifting to discover. In other words, the book could probably have been even shorter and been equally effective.
Kirk
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've read so many other things by Peterson that were just fantastic, and there is such a famine in Christian theological literature that helps us move beyond the resurrection as an apologetic talking point. So I was really looking forward to this one, but it just fell flat. I got more out of Richard Gaffin's "Resurrection and Redemption" which was decidedly dry and scholastic in nature.
Mike Crews
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has many good large thoughts which tend to break down the more the author goes into the details. Peterson connects Jesus' resurrection with our own spiritual formation, but in my own humble opinion his exegesis of the passages can be somewhat of a stretch. This also leaves a few of his conclusions somewhat forced and a little too ambiguous for me.
Andrew
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding little book!! Very practical yet still awe inspiring by walking through the resurrection accounts in scripture and what they meant to the lives of the witnesses and should still mean to us.
Erika
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
I don't really feel one way or another about this book. it had well-presented information, but I didn't connect with it in any way. I felt like I was missing the point somewhere. I ended up skimming a good portion of it.
Nick
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, christian-living
One of my friends reviewed this book, stating that it was a lighter version of Peterson's Practice Resurrection. Compared to that book, this one might seem thin...I don't know. I haven't read the longer version, but I really liked this one a lot.

• Letters to a Young Pastor: Timothy Conversations Between Father and Son
  • Compassion (&) Conviction: The AND Campaign's Guide to Faithful Civic Engagement
  • Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions
  • God at War: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict
  • Nathan Coulter
  • The Language of Heaven: Crucial Questions About Speaking in Tongues
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • God and the Pandemic: A Christian Reflection on the Coronavirus and Its Aftermath
  • Exodus Old and New: A Biblical Theology of Redemption
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man
  • The Nibelungenlied
  • Break Shot: My First 21 Years
Eugene H. Peterson was a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He had written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language ...more

News & Interviews

“Impersonal things that dominate our time and imagination offer extravagant promises of control and knowledge. But they also squeeze all sense of mystery and wonder and reverence out of our lives.” 5 likes
“We live most days and most of the hours of those days in a world permeated with the making and purchasing of idols.” 2 likes