Start by marking “Me Llamo Gabriela/my Name Is Gabriela: La Vida de Gabriela Mistral / The Life of Gabriela Mistral” as Want to Read:

A bilingual picture book biography about the legendary poet and teacher, Gabriela Mistral.
Published July 13th 2010 by Rising Moon Books (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Me Llamo Gabriela/my Name Is Gabriela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Llamo Gabriela/my Name Is Gabriela

Start your review of Me Llamo Gabriela/my Name Is Gabriela: La Vida de Gabriela Mistral / The Life of Gabriela Mistral
Ben Truong
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Me Llamo Gabriela/My Name Is Gabriela: La Vida de Gabriela Mistral/The Life of Gabriela Mistral is a children's picture book written by Monica Brown and illustrated by John Parra. It is a biographical picture book of Gabriela Mistral – the first Latina Nobel Prize Laureate for Literature.

Mid-September to Mid-October, at least in my part of the world is Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this m
Miss Sarah
A great spanish and english biography picture book about Gabriela Mistral a writer, teacher, and poet. elemntary and up
Reading Is Resistance PDX
Born in a small village in Chile, Gabriela Mistral is a young girl who fell in love with words, sounds, and stories. Raised by a single mother, we begin a journey of a young girl in love with literature and how she becomes successful. The author Monica Brown depicts how a poet and teacher follows her dreams and becomes widely successful.

The main character Gabriela finds herself wondering what is outside of her small town in Chile; she wonders what all is out there and what stories she is missing
Vamos a Leer
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Name is Gabriela/Me llamo Gabriela: The Life of Gabriela Mistral/La vida de Gabriela Mistral by Monica Brown is a bilingual homage to poet, teacher, and the first Latina to win the Nobel Prize in Literature, Gabriela Mistral.

The story begins with Gabriela’s childhood and an explanation of her pen name. “It is a name I chose myself because I like the sound of it.” It goes on to describe her home and village located near the Andes Mountains in Chile, and different experiences that she had while
Heidi
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book about Gabriela Mistral. She was a famous poet and teacher. The book that I read was written in Spanish and English.

I enjoyed this book! This book would be great to use in a classroom of bilingual students because it allows them to read in both Spanish and English. The representation of language is accurately displayed. Gabriela Mistral was born in Chile and she wrote in Spanish. It would not be appropriate to write a biography about her without including Spanish in the story.

The
Madeline Vines
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Me llamo Gabriela es un libro para estudiantes hispano o para estudiantes aprenden de gente hispano. This book is for Hispanic students and non Hispanic students to learn about the educator and humanitarian Gabriela Mistrel. She gave that name to herself only because of the way she liked how it sounded coming out of her mouth. From an early age she was fascinated by words. This book tells the story of how she eventually won a Nobel prize. It has fairly manageable vocabulary. The book is beautifu ...more
Juanita Serna
This book is the biography of Gabriela Mistral. It takes a walk through her life, while incorporating wonderful illustrations. Gabriela was born in Chile, and became a teacher and a writer. She traveled around the world, and received the Nobel Prize for Literature. This is an okay book for elementary school aged children.. the quality of the book is high as the story and the pictures are great. I liked the book and would use it to teach a lesson on Hispanic Authors, or teaching about the Nobel P ...more
Barbara
This bilingual picture book biography describes the fondness poet Gabriela Mistral had for words and stories. Born in Chile, she chose her own name later, and spent her life reading, writing, and teaching about education. Her travels across the world allowed her to make note of the universality of parental desires for their children's education. The text sparkles as do the illustrations featuring this smiling storyteller who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1945. This is a must-have title f ...more
Enora
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't know Gabriela Mistral, teacher and poet, before reading this bilingual biography. I think it was important to tell her story, but I didn't particularly enjoyed this book. I feel like the illustrations were very colorful, but that the facial expressions and the gestures were stiff and not always proportionally accurate.

Jenny
A nice bilingual picture book biography about Gabriela Mistral. She was born in Chile and grew up to become a writer, poet and teacher. She received the Nobel Prize for Literature. She was the first Latin American writer to receive this prize. The book uses colorful language and beautiful illustrations to tell Mistral's story.
Barbara Lovejoy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another WONDERFUL bilingual book by Monica Brown (whose mother was Latina--from Perú)! The story was great--learning more about the life of Gabriela Mistral--and the illustrations were incredible. This is a book we bought with money donated by a couple of our Esperanza board members for our Esperanza school library.
Jill McClennen
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am taking Spanish classes at a community college and I found this book at the library. Not only was I able to practice some basic spanish reading, I learned from the story as well. I love the English/Spanish books, you can read in both languages which makes you feel more comfortable with what you are reading so you can understand it better.
Haydee Romero
This is the childhood story of Gabriela Mistral. Gabriela Mistral was the first Latin American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize in literature. The story is written from the perspective of Gabriela. The story is also written in Spanish. In my classroom I would use this book as an example of written from another person’s perspective.
Linda
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simple, lovely biography of the Chilean poet, Gabriela Mistral. She was a very influential poet and won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1945. I liked the "bilingualness" of the book--I'd read first in Spanish, understanding about half of what I read, then in English.
Crystal
This is a wonderful biography about a woman that I had never heard of before today. I have been on a hunt for biographies about women. I was excited to find this one. Now I want to read some of Mistral's writing.
Kristin Waitkus
Fun story to read to talk to the students about biographies. The students also get a chance to learn about Chile, Gabriela's home town. This story is also great to use to teach cause and effect in 2nd grade.
Vanessa Mattingly
This story is absolutely wonderful. It is a biography that tells the story of Gabriela Mistral who was a successful writer from South America. This story is a great way to expose students to other cultures and languages.
Eddie Garcia
this is a biography book on the life of poet Gabriela Mistral. This bilingual book teaches the reader about having their voices be heard.
Rachel
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
A bilingual book based around a young girl's imagination. Everything she says and dreams about is illustrated wonderfully in this book. I would use it to discuss mental imaging while reading.
Tammy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tammy by: Mrs. Caldwell
This was required reading for Greta's second grade class.
Claire Annette
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The text and illustrations of Me Llamo Gabriela are beautiful I can't believe that I had never heard of Gabriela Mistral before reading this book. Now I want to learn more about her.
Dora
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
2006 International Latino Book Award Winner
Miriam
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Bilingual biography
Selena Villegas
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Me encantó este tipo de libro! El arte estaba lindo y también tenía partes trasladó en inglés. Perfecto para practicar cuál quier idioma.
Kathy
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: latina-o
2006 International Latino Book Award
Beautiful, stunning pictures. A great book to use with Spanish I 4th quarter after students have learned ar-er-ir preterit.
Lindsey
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
An nice bilingual book about an important poet and teacher.
Jacque T

• The Very Last Castle
  • Sophie Johnson, Unicorn Expert
  • Mama Elizabeti
  • Ruby Finds a Worry
Monica Brown, Ph.D. is the author of awardwinning bilingual books for children, including My Name Is Celia: The Life of Celia Cruz/Me llamo Celia: La vida de Celia Cruz (Luna Rising), a recipient of the Américas Award for Children's Literature and a Pura Belpré Honor. Her second picture book, My Name Is Gabriela: The Life of Gabriela Mistral/Me llamo Gabriela: La vida de Gabriela Mistral (Luna Ris ...more