Start by marking “Malevolent (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malevolent (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #1)

Malevolent

(Cases of Lieutenant Kane #1)

Tampa Homicide Lieutenant Carl Kane has a tough job. His day to day consists of decomposing dead bodies and removing murderers from the general public. But, when two women’s bodies are found under similar circumstances, it quickly turns into more than your average case. The killer is clearly looking to make a name for himself, and his plans for these women go far beyond de ...more
Published December 17th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Malevolent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malevolent

Lynda Kelly
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: deleted
Got only 4% into this and I'd already seen 5 mistakes so I'll pass, thanks. I don't understand why authors keep refusing to hire a proofreader these days and just publish and be damned as they're doing in the e-book format. I don't remember ever packing in books in paperback or hardback because they were rendered unreadable by errors !!!
I spotted a missed apostrophe and then edition was used and not addition, off and not of, they and not the (they local media) and finally, "His suit looked like
Stephen Clynes
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Follow Lieutenant Carl Kane of the Tampa homicide squad as he investigates an unusual killing.

Malevolent is a regular police procedural crime thriller and it breaks no new ground. Usual range of characters making up the ranks of the police force. Regular use of the killer’s actions and motives are told through alternate chapters.

So Malevolent is quite ordinary except the method of murder employed. I found Reinhard’s writing style quite tabloid. There was nothing sharp that made me think “this i
Toni Osborne
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book #1, in the Cases of Lieutenant Kane

This story is very intense no doubt about it with its fair amount of gory descriptions and its suspenseful drama that keeps coming up no way any reader can say that “Malevolent” is boring. I was kept me on the edge furiously flipping the pages to see how it will end. …. This is one twisted story that may be somewhat realistic but is captivating to read….if you are into gruesome murders and police procedural this book is for you.

The main character, Lieutena
Kellie
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hate to say it...

I was interested in this series but the writing style was very distracting to me. No compound sentences, little punctuation to help guide interpretation, and a monotonous tone completely turned me off. I couldn't finish it.
Gabriel Boutros
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, murder, thriller
My first thought when I started to read this book was: "Oh great. Another book about a flawed but determined cop chasing after a twisted serial killer. Haven't read one of those recently."
Of course, that isn't entirely fair. A book should be rated on its own qualities, and not on how many other books about the same subject have already been written. Still, unless you've just graduated from picture books, most readers of modern popular fiction will have come across one or two (hundred) serial ki
Una Tiers
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book lives up to the title. There is much unnecessary violence, little character development, weak dialogue. The description should list blood and gore.
Bonnye Reed
GAB Malevolent is a police procedural, book 1 of a series, featuring Homicide Lieutenant Carl Kane and set firmly in the Tampa, Florida area. Carl is a bit disheartened, recovering from a painful divorce, feeling pressured by the day to day viciousness of his job, the soulless perpertraters of murder and the near daily look at decaying bodies. Not in a good place to become introduced to what the press will soon be calling the Psycho Killer. That's his life, however. He has to get over it and get ...more
Marleen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book in one go being stuck on a high-speed train halted by an electrical failure. When you're unable to move forward for a few hours, reading is the best remedy. Unfortunately, I wasn't enamored with this read, on the contrary. It was dry, stilted and devoid of authentic characters. Right from the very first page, I couldn't get used to writing style; it was so clinical, so amateurish, with no fluidity. As for the plot; it was unoriginal : again a sicko who tortures women - and th ...more
Rowan
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all, I really like this story. It was intense, riveting, and believable. All the characters were well developed and scene descriptions made the story very visual. Because the story is so well thought out, I do recommend this novel.

However, a note to the author, please have your work proof read. I saw too many grammatical errors that should have been caught and please learn the difference between "set" and "sat" and "then" and "than". There were also missing and misspelled words in sever
Doina Condrea
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
So good. Dark. Twisted.
Sharon Michael
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid police procedural, a bit on the dark side. Good basic characterization though some of the interactions of the characters seemed a little superficial.
Denise
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2018
With several women turning up dead in similar circumstances, it's beginning to look like Tampa has a serial killer on the loose. Lieutenant Carl Kane of the Tampa PD is in charge of the investigation, which turns increasingly personal the further he gets as the killer seems to take a special interest in him.

Solid murder mystery, but somewhat predictable and nothing that stands out in plot or characters.
Ramona
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bone chilling

Kane is tenacious in his hunt for a lunatic. The serial killer sets his sights on Kane and wants to be famous. This is a brutal, haunting tale of horror and Kane is tracking an extremely intelligent, physcotic killer. Hard to read, harder to put down.
Jenna Golik
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy how the story unfolds. It takes you through his day to day life.

All the other people mix in nicely .The story has a good flow. You do not want to stop reading this book. I am looking forward to reading more of his books. I like Lieutenant Kane.
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Well written

It was written well but not for me. I enjoy some murder/mystery books but the villain was a psychopath and not something I enjoyed reading.
Jim
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Lt. Carl Kane of the Tampa Police Department who is originally from Wisconsin but now is loving the weather in FLA. Wisconsin is still home where his father and sister still live. Kane also has an ex-wife Samantha who talked him into taking job in Tampa several years ago. Which was an excuse for Samantha to cheat on Carl and force a divorce. Kane is now the senior detective in Tampa's homicide department. Along with his de facto partner Sergeant Hank Rawlings the two make a formidable investigat ...more
Marjorie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The best thing I can say about this book is that it is fast paced. You hurtle through the pages in a mad rush to the end. There are two reasons for this, one is that the writing style is such that it propels you through the book the second is that you can't wait to get to the end of it.

The murders are graphic and strangely compelling. Certainly not a methodology that I have come across in the multitude of books and TV programmes of this genre I have watched. I also enjoyed the fact that the kill
Dale A
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I enjoyed reading this book because it wasn't a run of the mill mystery. Looking forward to the rest of the series
Balthazar Lawson
An interesting crime story, about a serial killer who is just doing it for the fame. However, it’s filled with lots of clichés which means there’s nothing great about the book. The characters are interesting enough could make for a good series, as long as the writing improves. There are moments when there are too many details and others when there is not enough. Some of the big things seem to be forgotten, while the small insignificant things are highlighted too much.

Just an average book.
Jim A
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book in a very tough genre for authors, police procedural.

In this novel the killer is lobotomizing his victims (not a spoiler). I'm not sure I have ever read that trait in a serial killer. I thought it was unique.

The end game became a little predictable, but there are not a whole lot of ways for an author to have his cop catch a killer.

First of a series that I will follow up on, for sure.
Robin Everson
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I downloaded it as part of a Kindle free book. It was very good but extremely long (52 chapters).

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys police murder mysteries. Great detail, kind of gruesome but well done.

Personally, I think E.H. Reinhard's second book should be free as well to get people hooked but since it isn't I will pass. There just wasn't enough in the first book to make me actually want to buy the second.
J. Ewbank
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book by Reinhard is a good mystery. It does involve both the police seeker and the killer in the story. The characters are well drawn out so you can know them and the plot is sound. I enjoyed reading this one.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me About the United Methodist Church"
Tulay
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting subject.

This book is not for the bedtime reading, detailed descriptions of injuries/murders will be in your nightmares. Like Kane character and Butch, was good cat and mouse chase. Time to time I noticed I was holding my breath, going to be good series.
Cheryl
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow! Loved the book & character Lieutenant Kane. I couldn't put the book down & can't wait to start the next book.
Kevin
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
E.H. Reinhard has created an interesting character in Detective Cole Kane, and in “Malevolent” we are treated to an intricate story involving a serial killer and Detective Kane’s attempts to stop him before he does more damage, including damage to Kane’s own loved ones. The plot moves quickly (sometimes a tad too quickly) and early on we get a glimpse into the killer’s point of view, which is an interesting technique. The reader gets pulled into the story and it becomes a real page-turner right ...more
Forgetfulone
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
This is the first novel by Reinhard that I have read. It was a slow start, but it picked up. Overall, I thought it was good.

The story's main character is Lieutenant Kane, a police detective with decades of experience who prefers to work alone. He doesn't always make the decisions I would expect a police officer to make, which is how he gets himself into some trouble. There is a killer on the loose, and Kane becomes his focus. The killer is out to prove that he is sharper than the police, Kane,
Keith
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I picked this up for free on Amazon. It was a surprisingly good read. Set in the City of Tampa (rather than New York or LA like every other book). Lieutenant Carl Kane is a freshly-divorced cop with the original "grumpy cat." for a pet (Bruce) an almost-girlfriend, a good partner and a scary bad guy the he is pursuing.

I guess the thing I like about this was that it was tight, well-paced and suspenseful. Kane isn't a super-cop like Harry Bosch, but just a good guy, working hard at his job.

My onl
Dan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it was really well written, engaging. It's very dark. In fact, numerous people seem to have given it negative ratings because it gets a bit graphic in the details of how the serial killer does stuff, but I'm not all that squeamish about medical/anatomical stuff, so I didn't find it off-putting. In fact, it made it more real, rather than glossing over it. I also thought that the police side of things was well handled and felt more realistic, with a mix of plodding detective work, notici ...more
Pernette
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminal Minds has nothing on Malevolent by E. H. Reinhard. Detective Cane definitely has his hands full in this book. He is chasing down a serial killer and things suddenly become very personal.
The murderer is out to make a name for himself and is dubbed the "Psycho-Surgeon" by the press. This book will have you on the edge of your seat and wondering how anyone could do these unspeakable things to another human being. Will Detective Cane and the Tampa PD stop this killer before it's too late?
Mrs
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very Well Written

This is a tense and brutal murder mystery with great pacing and characters. I was distracted by the lack of contractions and some nitpicky descriptions of the action, but those weren't major flaws. The dialogue could've been less stilted if he wrote the way people really talk. I enjoyed the cat! The murders were appropriately horrible. The were not so detailed that I got queasy but nasty enough to get the idea. It wasn't as creepy as some, and happily it wasn't vulgar or prurien

• Skin and Blond (Blond Noir Mysteries, #1)
  • Streets of Mayhem (Booker, #1)
  • Divine Intervention (Divine Trilogy, #1)
  • Viper Trail (Playing The Game)
  • The Coalition (A Nick Lassiter-Skyler Thriller #2)
  • Murder at Pride Lodge (Kyle Callahan Mystery, #1)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI series, #1)
  • Choice of Weapon
  • Genesis (Mark Taylor, #0.5)
  • Soft Case: A John Keegan Mystery
  • Mouse
  • No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery, #2)
  • 3 Lies (Masters CIA Thriller, #1)
  • Burnt Offerings
  • Dark Moon Crossing (Kendall O'Dell Mystery series)
  • Watchers of the Night
  • Secrets

Cases of Lieutenant Kane (6 books)
  • Requite (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #2)
  • Determinant (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #3)
  • Perilous (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #4)
  • Progeny (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #5)
  • Denouement (Cases of Lieutenant Kane, #6)
“hadn’t” 0 likes