Start by marking “Humans of New York: Stories” as Want to Read:
Humans of New York: Stories

Humans of New York: Stories

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  15,015 ratings  ·  1,383 reviews
In the summer of 2010, photographer Brandon Stanton began an ambitious project -to single-handedly create a photographic census of New York City. The photos he took and the accompanying interviews became the blog Humans of New York. In the first three years, his audience steadily grew from a few hundred to over one million. In 2013, his book Humans of New York, based on th ...more
Published October 13th 2015 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Humans of New York, please sign up.
Edward Fenner Yes, I think a 14-year old can handle it and enjoy it. It's quite an illuminating book. There is the odd swear word here and there but the context is…moreYes, I think a 14-year old can handle it and enjoy it. It's quite an illuminating book. There is the odd swear word here and there but the context is understandable. Some mature themes now and then, but nothing alarming. (less)
Sydney This has the interview to go with each picture, unlike the other book which is just photographs.

·  15,015 ratings  ·  1,383 reviews

Chelsey
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Honestly, it may sound cliche but these stories and the pictures that accompany them make me feel human. Like take a deep breath, think about yourself, think about people other than yourself kind of human. It makes you appreciate that the person you hold a door open for has a whole story you know nothing about. So be kind.
I laughed, I cried, I was moved. This is just a beautiful depiction of life and the millions of fascinating people you walk beside every single day. I loved it.
Paul Bryant
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-life
To read this book you will need around four hours and a box of tissues and some solitude in order not to look like a complete idiot to your family. The tissues are to mop the tears which will flow down your cheeks on regular occasions, especially on page 428 when you realise that’s the last page. As you may already know, this book is just photos of random people in NYC with some quotes from them – Mr Stanton talked to each one for around 20 minutes. It would not be a nice thing if I just quoted ...more
Nat
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read and completely loved Humans of New York a few months back and, since I still think about it daily, I was beyond excited to get the continuation. And damn, I needed this more than I care to admit.

This book differs a bit from the first book because it includes in-depth storytelling that will puncture your heart (for better or worse).

As usual, here are a few of my favorite humans of New York:

description
“I’m trying to write a book based on myself, but I keep changing.”

description
“When you yell at someone, who he
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Automatic 5 stars just because Lin-Manuel is in this...

I genuinely did not expect that I would read this all in one sitting. It's a huge book, and filled with hundreds of pictures and captions. I am just obsessed with HONY because it is SO fascinating. The diversity of voices and people is just so refreshing and I could honestly read and look at them for HOURS. Some were funny and brought a smile to my face, others were so upsetting they brought tears to my eyes, and others were just very though
Roy Lotz

I missed New York. I missed the skyscrapers, the crowds, the noise (though not the smells). I missed the halal food, the pizza, the pan fried noodles. And I sincerely missed the people. I missed the diversity, the vibrancy, the ceaseless flow of human life. You can see the whole world here, packed onto a city block.

This book came out shortly after I went to Spain. That was disappointing, si
Jeanne
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed reading through this! I would recommend anyone interested buy it in hardcover. It's a book of photographs, so this is the one time this kindle addicted reader would recommend the real book. In this book, Brandon published some of his photos of random, ordinary people in New York City. Sometimes it's just the photo, and sometimes the people share a story with him and he writes quotes with his photos. It's amazing how interesting this can be. In a world where people sometimes seem
Mariah Roze
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Humans of New York! I follow Brandon Stanton's work on Facebook, so I never had the urge to read this book. However, once I started reading this book I realized that I had missed a ton of his work. This book was fantastic and I suggest it to anyone!

Brandon Stanton is a photographer that began a project to take photos and interview people in New York. He has over one million followers. The UN even chose him to travel around the world to meet and tell the stories of people in Iraq, Ukraine
Vina
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feels-good
It's amazing how touching and inspiring a photo with just a line or two of a quote can be!
This book really reminds you what it is to be human. We are all fighting our own battles. It's amazing how much people Wil open up if you just listen to them. Such a beautiful book, I'm reminded to be a nicer person every time I look at it.

Looking forward to more work from Brandon. Maybe a book featuring photos and stories from his travels outside of NY.

Cait • A Page with a View
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book finally gets to the heart of his blog and tells the actual stories behind the pictures. Brandon's a great photographer, so the previous books were still fun... but this is what HONY is. Such an amazing piece.
emma
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
i like humans of new york. it's a cool project. there was a time when i was obsessed with it - nevermissedapost obsessed - and it was during that era of my existence that i received this book (for christmas), started it (on christmas), and finished it (on christmas).

it's good and very heavy. all that photo paper.

i am pretty enamored with the moment(s) of realization that every person you have ever seen in your life has the same level of complexity as you. and often a way better story. humans of
Rebecca McNutt
This book is not only a fabulous collection of urban photography, but also a testament to a vast cultural, historic and populated city. Unlike the cookie-cutter homes and typical families of suburbia, the people featured in this book are each strikingly different, and yet still they form a collective society where the whole world has merged together.
Chihoe Ho
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I'd to describe this book in a couple words: THE FEELS.

"Humans of New York: Stories" hits all the right spots. It's funny and tugs at your heartstrings; it's grounded but also inspirational and thought-provoking; it's melancholic and nostalgic yet also hopeful. The quotes and anecdotes make the portraitures so much more engaging and relatable. I thought to myself two things: what about myself do I have to say if I were to be stopped by Brandon Stanton, and, what would I ask a random stranger
Cheri
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully done book, the photographs - overall - are beautifully done, and the little "snapshots" into other people's lives run the gamut of every emotion. The stories are what you might expect of any city, but I think the feeling if very true to NYC.
Junta
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People unacquainted with HONY
Recommended to Junta by: www.humansofnewyork.com
I'm physically nauseated by commonplace humanity, which is the only kind there is. And sometimes I willfully aggravate the nausea, like someone who induces vomiting to be relieved of the urge to vomit.
- Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet (Text 62)
I like the concept of Humans of New York (HONY) - I admit to having spent some minutes of my life on my Facebook news feed seeing a picture of a human, hearing what that human has to say, and reading what other humans say about it. It's an innovative
Ye Lin Aung
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even if you have not been following the amazing Humans of New York page on Facebook, I am going to swear to you that this is going to be one of the best book you will ever read.
This is the kind of book you might wanna keep for the rest of your life, flip through and read again whenever you feel like it.
There are one-line or one-paragraph short, heartwarming, soul-crashing, groundbreaking stories.
They are all amazing because they feel so real to me. I mean, look at this cutie pie.

From : https:/
Meghan
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xy
Much higher quality than the previous incarnations, and while most of these I had seen on the Facebook page, there was something nice about seeing them without the peanut gallery spouting inanities in the comments that gave each story its own weight and impact. Stanton's photographic skills have come a long way since the early days, too, and I really appreciate this project for what it keeps evolving into over time.
Nancy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
What an amazing book!! There are so many wonderful words of wisdom in these stories, and the photos really reflect and capture each person's story. I will be buying multiple copies of this book to give as gifts. Love, love, love!!!
Jen
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-2015
The pictures are gorgeous. The stories and quotes, while usually quite short, add to the pictures and give you a quick glimpse into the life of another human being. Don't let it romanize NYC for you, NYC is brutal and doesn't give a darn about anyone. This book shows that it takes a special kind to live and love here. And they do, with abandon, with illusions eventually dispelled, but also with the underlying hope of the human spirit. This is a MUST for fans of photography and NY and the life th ...more
Louisa
Absolutely beautiful and uplifting and sad and hilarious and inspirational. Whatever you think of HONY (I know people who find it cheesy), Stanton took a simple idea and created a marvel out of it. If you haven't already read his Syrian American series, or watched/read Aya the Iraqi refugee's story, those are 100% worth checking out too.

Also, the packaging of this is gorgeous. I love the juxtaposition of some of the photos/stories:

Negin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who have a heart and if you're looking for a good coffee-table book
Recommended to Negin by: Roya
This book was better than the first one. The stories have more depth to them and are longer. Some of the stories were heartbreaking and almost brought me to tears, while others brought so much joy and hope.

Reading this took me back to when I lived in New York back in the mid 1990’s. Although I love visiting New York, I’m relieved that I no longer live there. As the lyrics to the sunscreen song go, “Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.”

Some of my favorites:

“’If you co
Kitaplarvesozleri
Kitabı sosyal medyada ilk gördüğümde acayip merak ettim, çok heyecanlandım. Ellerime aldığımda ise şaşırdım, kuşe kağıdından yapılmış, ansiklopedi havasında çok kalın ve resimlerle dolu bir kitap, ne anlatabilir ki, ne kadar sevebilirim ki diye düşünmeye başladım. Dürüst olucam, kitap tasarımı ile beni mest etse de içerik olarak çekinmeme neden oldu. Ama ama ama....
Yazarımız bu kitap için tam beş yıl uğramış. İlk başta, New York sokaklarında insanların fotoğraflarını çekip blogunda paylaşırken,
Beth Knight
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I can remember I've loved looking into other people's lives. I've always loved reading books that were made out of letters or diaries, I'm obsessed with watching "what's in my bag" videos on YouTube, and when I see people out in public I make up little scenarios about them based on how they appear: what they're wearing or eating or carrying. When I heard about this book I knew I had to have it, and just as I thought, it was perfect for me. I devoured it in a matter of a couple of hour ...more
Elizabeth A
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, 2015, non-fiction
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” ― Plato

This book is collection of photos and text lifted from a very popular blog, and I had such fun dipping in over the course of several days. I was reminded of the Plato quote, and found myself falling in love with humanity all over again.

If you have yet to check it out, I would highly recommend the Humans of New York (HONY) blog or Instagram feed to get a daily fix.
Sarah AlObaid
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful both visually and content-wise. Photography and New York City, two of my favorite things of all time, combined; naturally, i love love love love loved this book. The quotes were so chilling and touching and inspiring, humans are such unique things that i feel like the word "normal" doesn't really apply to us. We're all too different to be normal. A must read.
Mikey B.
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tenderness, rawness, cuteness, poignancy, destitution, happiness, sadness, dreams, illness (all forms), defiance, resolve, loneliness, comedy, love...

It’s all in here. It’s New York.

Great pictures too!

An above average coffee table book with lots of human heart.
Elsa
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started to follow his page on Instagram and as soon the book came out had to buy it. The history behind it is fantastic and so the pictures and short statements from the ones on the pics. Beautiful
Roya
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quite-good
I've followed Brandon's work off and on over the years and I love seeing how far he's come. HONY went from being about photographing randoms on the street to so much more, and this is a great display of that. It's a celebration of the human spirit. I have more post it notes within the pages than any other book I've read.
Dan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
There are very few books I would recommend to absolutely anyone – but this is one of them. In some ways, it's very short – just a sentence or short paragraph per page – but every single page and the accompanying picture is a whole story, a whole biography all in itself. Sometimes fun, sometime silly, often heartbreaking... it's just an absolutely beautiful book. Stanton has a great eye for photos, and he keeps the balance of emotion steady, never too overwhelming. It's very easy to see why every ...more
Opat
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Brandon. Thank you so much.

"I'm always sad."
"Are there certain thoughts associated with the sadness?"
"No, the sadness is under thoughts. It's like when you're on a camping trip, and it's really cold, and you put on extra socks and an extra sweater, but you still can't get warm, because the coldness is in your bones."
"Do you hope to get away from it?"
"Not anymore. I just hope tp come to peace with it."
(Page 392)

Not anymore.
Amanda
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brandon Stanton's Humans of New York Stories is filled with colorful photographs of even more colorful people in undoubtably the most colorful city of all. The stories touch on all aspects of the human experience- hope, heartbreak, depression, defeat, love, longing, loss, struggles within, and outward struggles. Many of the stories are rather in depth, but it is pretty amazing how powerful some of the one line quotes are. Reading this book was an interesting and touching experience.
  • The Public Library: A Photographic Essay
  • Underwater Dogs
  • How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language
  • What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets
  • Libraries
Brandon Stanton graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in History. He traded bonds in Chicago for three years, before losing his job and moving to New York. In November of 2010, he started the photography blog Humans of New York. Today HONY is followed by nearly one million people, and is the fastest growing Arts and Humanities page on Facebook.
“I've learned that every feeling will pass if you give it time. And if you learn to deal with your feelings, they'll pass by faster each time. So don't rush to cover them up by medicating them. You've got to deal with them.” 9 likes
“The great thing about New York is that if you sit in one place long enough, the whole world comes to you.” 9 likes